Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2024, 07:22   #2626
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I'm getting more mileage on the highway than in cities. I have seen many people getting confused over this due to an incorrect understanding of the hybrid system so let me explain:

You use energy to accelerate. Normally when you brake you lose all of that energy as heat.

Regenerative braking will capture some of that energy that is lost during braking. It is impossible to recapture all of it. Perpetual motion machines cannot exist as it goes against the laws of physics.

Let me give you a simplified example:

Imagine a hybrid travelling at 100 kmph.

1. It takes 'x' amount of energy to accelerate to 100 kmph and maybe 10% of that energy to continue travelling at that speed.

2. If you slow down, you lose that X amount of energy and maybe save 50% through regenerative braking.

3. To get back to 100kmph, you need to spend that X amount of energy again. Due to regenerative braking saving some 50% earlier , you only need another 50% of X to get back to 100 kmph.

But in the same case, if you had just avoided slowing down, you would only be spending the 10% of X needed to keep the vehicle maintaining that speed.

Every time you slow down and speed back up, you are wasting more energy regardless of having regenerative braking.

This is not a jugaad plug-in hybrid where the entire system becomes dead weight once the battery is drained. Toyota hybrids can recharge battery directly from the engine. The high mileage figures of the hycross isn't just due to regenerative braking but due to improvements in engine design as well.
Hi, I would like to differ here. I stay in NCR. While I am getting FE of over 21.5 driving in city traffic. (My 50 km drive daily is 25 km of Dnd + noida expressway + 25 km delhi traffic) where I make optimum use of cruise whenever I have taken it out on a long route, have not managed more than 17 despite cruise and maintaining consistent speed between 90-100 kmph
Old 20th January 2024, 09:54   #2627

Does it impact the warranty (both Hybrid and ignition batteries) of the vehicle if we touch the electrical item in Hycross? Any one already did these changes please comment?

Also, any possibilities for changing the headlight publs without impacting the company wiring?
Old 20th January 2024, 12:53   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijeetsinha View Post
whenever I have taken it out on a long route, have not managed more than 17 despite cruise and maintaining consistent speed between 90-100 kmph
Set the cruise at 80KMPH and you will get those figures, the battery input is negligible post 80 KMPH and the vehicle mainly uses the ICE engine hence the mileage drops .
It will always be a trade off between time saved while being in higher speed or better mileage.
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 12:56   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I would like to differ here. I stay in NCR. While I am getting FE of over 21.5 driving in city traffic. (My 50 km drive daily is 25 km of Dnd + noida expressway + 25 km delhi traffic) where I make optimum use of cruise whenever I have taken it out on a long route, have not managed more than 17 despite cruise and maintaining consistent speed between 90-100 kmph
Weird. I’m getting 20+ on highways and around 15-16 in cities.
Old 20th January 2024, 13:42   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

Replaced the Goodyear Assurance 225/50 R18 with Yokohama Blu Earth RV02 225/55 R18.

Went and had a sidestep installed too. Not really needed as the Hycross is a pretty "walk in walk out" affair. It just gives the lower sill some protection and also looks pretty neat. These are slim and tapered in the ends so do not stick out at the edges at all.
Congrats on your new car.

Please keep us updated on your experience with the Yokohamas as you drive your car a bit more.

The side step looks interesting and quite well designed at first glance. Would appreciate it if you could you share a few more pics with a close-up of the fit and finish and a side profile view of the car.
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 17:40   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajjaiswal92 View Post
Set the cruise at 80KMPH and you will get those figures, the battery input is negligible post 80 KMPH and the vehicle mainly uses the ICE engine hence the mileage drops .
It will always be a trade off between time saved while being in higher speed or better mileage.
Thnx. Usually one is hard pressed for time when on a highway. Driving less than 95-100 on these access control highways is not possible/practical. With vehicles speeding past you it is more dangerous thatways
Old 20th January 2024, 17:41   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Weird. I’m getting 20+ on highways and around 15-16 in cities.
In city at times my trip mileage is above 23. Overall tank to tank method varies between 21.5-22
Old 20th January 2024, 19:20   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In city at times my trip mileage is above 23. Overall tank to tank method varies between 21.5-22
Ah I’m afraid trip mileage can vary greatly depending on whether the hybrid battery is full or empty when you start the trip. Tank to tank is the only way to go.
Old 20th January 2024, 23:14   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post

Please keep us updated on your experience with the Yokohamas..

The side step looks interesting and quite well designed at first glance. Would appreciate it if you could you share a few more pics ..
Thank you for your good wishes. I am posting a couple of pics. They show the side step and also the difference in profile of the 225 55 18 Yokohama RV02 vs the stock Goodyears.

The yokos most definitely fill up the wheel well better. Also the RV02 seemed quite silent on tarmac in a short drive that i took today.

The tyres first:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240120_225720.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240120_141327.jpg

Side profile of the car. Had taken this pic before i had read your post. Will take some close ups tommorow during daytime and post those as well. The fit and finish is as good as any OEM part.

(If you click on the pic it will load a higher resolution one and you can zoom in as well)

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240120_140024.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:48   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdasgupta View Post
Yes, we should check that. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on that sinceI haven't hit any service intervals for the Hycross yet. The 1000 km, 1 month, inspection is coming up, and for that I am planning to take it to Ravindu Toyota Avalahalli.
Would appreciate if you could provide your inputs on how the first service experience with Ravindu Toyota was. My one year servicing is in the second week of February.
Old 21st January 2024, 14:22   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
The side step looks interesting and quite well designed at first glance. Would appreciate it if you could you share a few more pics with a close-up of the fit and finish and a side profile view of the car.
As requested..

Slim profile and does not overly stick out of the Hycross sides
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_141042.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_141049.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_141102.jpg

Held with 5 solid metal brackets
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_141105.jpg

Ramp breakover angle is unaffected
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_141134.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:44   #2637
BHPian

I had a driver take my parents out a few days ago. Since then, the AC seemed to not cool as it used to. The temperatures are quite pleasant these days and this made it even more concerning. I tried putting both ACs on low temp hoping the issue would correct it self. AC gas leak was an explanation. I had almost planned to take the car to the service center when I accidentally the “A/C” button. Lo and behold, the AC starts to cool again.

I am used to setting the temperature to what ever I want and then setting the AC on auto mode. In my other cars, pressing the auto button also turns in the AC if it was turned off. But in Hycross, the AC remains off and to me it seems counterintuitive.

Is this behaviour expected? Shouldn’t putting the AC in auto mode also turn on the AC? Or do different cars have different ways of this situation?
Old 21st January 2024, 16:06   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinikalantri View Post
I had a driver take my parents out a few days ago. Since then, the AC seemed to not cool as it used to. The temperatures are quite pleasant these days and this made it even more concerning. I tried putting both ACs on low temp hoping the issue would correct it self. AC gas leak was an explanation. I had almost planned to take the car to the service center when I accidentally the “A/C” button. Lo and behold, the AC starts to cool again.

Is this behaviour expected? Shouldn’t putting the AC in auto mode also turn on the AC? Or do different cars have different ways of this situation?
I also noticed this behaviour auto mode does nothing it’s when you turn on AC that’s when the cooling starts wired behaviour.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 16:26   #2639
BHPian

Since i owned the Camry Hybrid until last year i was keen to see the mileage figures the Hycross would return in the City.

Pretty satisfied with the results. Its been consistently over 20 kmpl in E mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_151649.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_151726.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_161304.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240121_161342.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 19:53   #2640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Since i owned the Camry Hybrid until last year i was keen to see the mileage figures the Hycross would return in the City.

Pretty satisfied with the results. Its been consistently over 20 kmpl in E mode.
Try using normal mode for city traffic. You will get better mileage figures. Based on suggestion from one of the members from this group I have driven last 10k km in normal mode and have got better figures
Abhijeetsinha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks