Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 14:42   #2446
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Just saw an awesome front fascia for Hycross in YouTube. Looks like a Big daddy of all MUV/SUV (apologies New Scorpio fans)

jthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 18:27   #2447

He gives Mumbai Driving Review of Hycross Gx. Guys, please test drive it in your city and share your analysis.
Jeep4x4High is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 19:16   #2448
BHPian

Hello,

Could the members let me know if I'm thinking right here with respect to choosing the right variant of the Hycross between the GX 8STR and VX 8STR?

It would be used as a highway cruiser 70% of the time, with the remaining 30% split between country roads and the city.

Considering the costs alone, I find the following to be the breakeven figures between those variants (I have included those of the VX(O) and ZX(O) for completion). This assumes the depreciation to be 10% per annum for the VX, VX(O) and ZX(O) variants across the 15 years I intend to keep the vehicle, during which time it would cover at least 2 lakh KM.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot-20231107-6.51.33-pm.png

For the GX, the first two rows assumes a resale value of zero (an ancient ICE engine might carry little value at that time), the third row a depreciation of 10% per annum and the last row a resale value between these two figures.

Assuming the VX would have a non-zero resale value (bottom 3 rows), it looks like choosing that over the GX might not be a bad financial decision.

Other aspects of the VX might also make it a better choice over the GX (quieter engine in the city, enjoyment of EV technology over the ICE one, better low-end torque which might be useful in city and on the highways during overtakes). This is apart from the feature set of the VX over the GX.

Therefore, would choosing the VX variant be a better choice? Are there aspects I am not considering (greater failure rates, higher maintenance charges etc.)?

I would also like clarity on the power delivery figures:

GX: 172.992 HP @ 110/s
VX: 183.7 HP @ 110/s

Why isn't the difference more substantial considering the VX receives a boost from the EV? Is it because the ICE is doing most of the work at 110/s?

With respect to maximum engine torque:

GX: 209 Nm
VX: 188 Nm from the ICE and 206 Nm from the motor

What is the total maximum torque available for the VX? I assume it isn't a simple 188+206 = 394 Nm.

Thank you.
Old 7th November 2023, 20:05   #2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hello,

Could the members let me know if I'm thinking right here with respect to choosing the right variant of the Hycross between the GX 8STR and VX 8STR?

Therefore, would choosing the VX variant be a better choice? Are there aspects I am not considering (greater failure rates, higher maintenance charges etc.)?

I would also like clarity on the power delivery figures:

GX: 172.992 HP @ 110/s
VX: 183.7 HP @ 110/s

Why isn't the difference more substantial considering the VX receives a boost from the EV? Is it because the ICE is doing most of the work at 110/s?

With respect to maximum engine torque:

GX: 209 Nm
VX: 188 Nm from the ICE and 206 Nm from the motor

What is the total maximum torque available for the VX? I assume it isn't a simple 188+206 = 394 Nm.

Good Question.
First things first.
Hybrid is no EV. Its an ICE, with better FE.
The 2.0L Engine is one of the Finest in the world.

Torque
The Torque figures on paper (188 & 206) are a bit misleading. The atkinson cycle in the 41% DF 2.0L engine has lower torque than its twin. Its an eCVT, ie, it basically assists the ICE while accelerating.
The Gx version is pure CVT. But, Toyota has done brilliant engineering in these CVTs, by adding a kind of Torque Converter style gearing for the 1st Gear (from stop start). Thats why you dont hear that gear rumble in Nissan Xtrail (similiar to that vibrations you feel in your Honda Activa at the Start). TNGA is the best you can get from TOYOTA. Period.

Fuel Efficiency
ENERGY CAN NEITHER BE CREATED, NOR DESTROYED. Even with EV assist, it still gets its primary energy from the same 2.0L ICE. So the average difference in FE will be 5. Toyota engineers describes this in their presentaion (you just have to read between the lines, for more details visit global toyota website and check out TNGA Engineering).
The confusion in India regarding Gx and Hybrid stems from the utter lazy Youtube presentations my Main Stream AutoJournalists, who simply plug in the figures of the Crysta 2.7 Petrol (which was very low 5-7 kmpl).

Future of ICE
My analysis is EV will become predominant over time. But ICE is not going anywhere. To transform the whole world into Electric, there needs to be an investment of $45Trillion in infrastructure alone (which the world cannot afford at the moment). Look at the new Oil rigs and Exploration, long term contracts happening around the world (look at Business Newspapers from Middle East, American, EU, ASEAN & China). What's probably going to happen is, diesel vehicles will be banned in Cities, very shortly. Petrol will not become very expensive because of the competition with EV and the new discoveries in Oil Reserves (remember Middle East has not yet started the Shale oil drilling).

Hybrid or Normal?
I would say go for Hycross Hybrid if budget permits and you love superior complex technology. You can eventually break even after a long time (also not forget about the higher Insurance premium).
Go for Hycross Gx, if you want a quintessential TOYOTA. A reliable work horse. Even if you go on long trips, remote locations, dont have to worry about if water has entered your High Voltage Electric system when you cross over a water-logged road (which is very often in India).

Resale Value
The resale market is very strange in India. People gives value to a car not based on Logic. And dont be surprised if Hycross Gx resale value is not that of Hybrid because as a society, our average IQ is 66 (and falling), and critical thinking is on the downward slope. Therefore my bet would be Hycross Hybrid will have a higher resale value in future.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th November 2023 at 16:41. Reason: Trimming quoted post slightly. Thank you.
Jeep4x4High is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 20:05   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hello,

Just go with Vx Hybrid if budget permits, you will enjoy the hybrid technology and increased mileage and other features over gx.
manofinfinity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 22:42   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4x4High View Post

Torque
The Torque figures on paper (188 & 206) are a bit misleading. The atkinson cycle in the 41% DF 2.0L engine has lower torque than its twin. It’s an eCVT, ie, it basically assists the ICE while accelerating.
It not only assists , I have seen its in complete EV mode (provided enough juice is there in battery) during
1. Reversing
2. At low speed and bumper to bumper condition
3. Coasting at high speed with cruise mode on
Old 12th November 2023, 18:56   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Found this quad projector setup on Instagram, don't think warranty would stay intact though.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_20231112_185411.jpg  

giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 01:32   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Found this quad projector setup on Instagram, don't think warranty would stay intact though.
There are a lot of these kind of upgrades in South-East Asian markets. They seem to be effective but I haven't seen any headlight kits being imported into India yet. I'm planning on going for pod lights as auxilary lights once I can figure out how to import them from the US or find a decent brand in India. They should keep the warranty intact.

Last edited by Cresterk : 13th November 2023 at 01:33.
Old 13th November 2023, 06:07   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I'm planning on going for pod lights as auxilary lights once I can figure out how to import them from the US or find a decent brand in India. They should keep the warranty intact.
Won’t that foul with the police? Having auxiliary lights on the vehicle is a sure shot recipe to be flagged down and challaned here up north.
Old 13th November 2023, 12:02   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Won’t that foul with the police? Having auxiliary lights on the vehicle is a sure shot recipe to be flagged down and challaned here up north.
Yes, it will sadly. I'm hoping to tuck it away inside the radiator grill where it won't be easily visible unless it is turned on. Planning to link it to high beams so it only turns on when the highbeams are activated. Finding a light that fits the dimensions and also has sufficient throw is the hard part.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-innovahycrossexteriorfrontbumper-copy.jpg  

Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 12:42   #2456
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, it will sadly. I'm hoping to tuck it away inside the radiator grill where it won't be easily visible unless it is turned on. Planning to link it to high beams so it only turns on when the highbeams are activated. Finding a light that fits the dimensions and also has sufficient throw is the hard part.
I feel like something from Maddog should fit. Take a look-

Some other cheaper alternatives-
https://rideindiaride.in/hjg-origina...de-india-ride/
https://rideindiaride.in/hjg-y-lens-...harness-combo/
A bhpian has installed similar lights on his ScorpioN-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-206.html (Mahindra Scorpio-N Review)
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 16:22   #2457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
I feel like something from Maddog should fit. Take a look-
That looks very promising, is Mad dog a decent brand? I wouldn’t mind giving it a try if the dimensions are correct.

Those yellow/white switchable lights also look interesting. Are they are any good in terms of brightness and practicality or is the colour switching just for show? I can’t find any good brands offering switchable colours so I’m guessing it might have some compromises.

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2023 at 09:12. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 01:48   #2458
BHPian

Completed 10,000 Kms on the odo on our Hycross VX Hybrid in 3.5 months of ownership, today as per the Toyota i-Connect app.

Since I'm in USA for my higher studies, my dad will be sending the car for 10k Kms service, and, my cousin will be getting the ceramic done and seat covers installed post service.

Will post the pics of the car after getting the ceramic coating done and the seat covers installed.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:23   #2459
BANNED

Quote:
That looks very promising, is Mad dog a decent brand? I wouldn’t mind giving it a try if the dimensions are correct.

Those yellow/white switchable lights also look interesting. Are they are any good in terms of brightness and practicality or is the colour switching just for show? I can’t find any good brands offering switchable colours so I’m guessing it might have some compromises.
Maddog is a well-respected brand, and rightly so. You can search our forum for the same and you'll find plenty of satisfied Bhpians. Even HJG has decent quality overall. Their brightness level is very high and build quality is acceptable too. The switchable lights are a boon in rain and fog.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 06:27   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Completed 10,000 Kms on the odo on our Hycross VX Hybrid in 3.5 months of ownership, today as per the Toyota i-Connect app.

Since I'm in USA for my higher studies, my dad will be sending the car for 10k Kms service, and, my cousin will be getting the ceramic done and seat covers installed post service.

Will post the pics of the car after getting the ceramic coating done and the seat covers installed.
Could you share more details on the seat covers? From where, what type and if you have pics of it?

Ceramic coating from the showroom workshop itself? Is this the first round of coating?
sanketdesai82 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks