Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2023, 14:16   #2431
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Thanks for sharing this, will pester my dealer once my car arrives (estimated delivery date is still far away) to change the rims to the Crysta’s.
Wow, that sure looks good. Will the tyres also have to be changed if we fit those Crysta rims? My sales guy was not very enthusiastic about the idea of changing the alloys. He could not comment on the possibility of fitting Crysta rims or rims from the ZX model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST View Post
Hello Sanidhya, Cheers! I had also booked VX(o) 8 seater in sparkling black cs. Booking was done on 10th Aug, currently I am 8th in the waiting list, chances are that I will get the car by January. This Model+Colour combination is very uncommon as a result waiting list is smaller than others.
Oh, thats great! So the actual waiting time seems to be in the ballpark of 4-6 months. Never knew about the waiting list system. Will ask my sales guy about my position. I have told the dealership to contact me whenever a car in this colour comes by. Will go and check it out. I liked the Blackish Ageha colour as well, but since I already have a blue car, I wanted to try something different this time round.

Have you guys thought about getting Invicto rims? Since it is essentially the same car, it should not be a difficult swap. Toyota hub caps from the Glanza etc. could be installed.

My SA did send me some photos of Sparkling Black and Blackish Ageha for side by side comparison. I think I’m quite pleased with this colour:

Sparkling Black:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-86757cb1dd1848d7a88344ffe5e96cda.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-55b29b46347a40a9b29f5b7311a5ea95.jpeg

Blackish Ageha:
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-aaed725b6b2245cc987529fbdd694e96.jpeg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-79a75960b92f4eff992d1c30745c304e.jpeg

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 5th November 2023 at 14:21.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 17:34   #2432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Wow, that sure looks good. Will the tyres also have to be changed if we fit those Crysta rims? My sales guy was not very enthusiastic about the idea of changing the alloys. He could not comment on the possibility of fitting Crysta rims or rims from the ZX model.

Have you guys thought about getting Invicto rims? Since it is essentially the same car, it should not be a difficult swap. Toyota hub caps from the Glanza etc. could be installed.
Hycross comes with 215/60/r17, whereas Crysta comes with 215/55/r17. Only difference is in the sidewall, so technically Hycross tyres will fit Crysta alloys.

I personally feel Invicto alloys look much better than all 3 Hycross alloys. Swapping will not be an issue, only issue will be sourcing them.
GH0ST is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 18:50   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally feel Invicto alloys look much better than all 3 Hycross alloys. Swapping will not be an issue, only issue will be sourcing them.
I don't think sourcing will be a challenge. Just visit a Nexa service center and make the order.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 18:59   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hycross comes with 215/60/r17, whereas Crysta comes with 215/55/r17. Only difference is in the sidewall, so technically Hycross tyres will fit Crysta alloys.
As posted by BHPian amalji above, the 215/60/R17 in HyCross will probably be having a 6.5J wide rim whereas Crysta’s 215/55/R17 will be having a 7J wide rim. So the rim width has a difference!

Most probably there shouldn’t be an issue for 0.5J with 215/60/R17 on the Crysta’s rims

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 5th November 2023 at 19:21.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 19:05   #2435
BHPian

Team:
I have a Hybrid VX model. Just wanted some help from the community - Did any of you try to connect wired apple carplay in the vehicle. I am facing an interesting issue - Once I connect Apple carplay (wired) irrespective of whether I plug or unplug the wire, the car does not play radio or allow bluetooth connections. It just says 'Audio off'.
I understand that I must be doing something wrong, but unable to find it out. It must be something simple - Did any of you come across this issue, and is there any solution that you can suggest?
Old 5th November 2023, 19:31   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As posted by BHPian amalji above, the 215/60/R17 in HyCross will probably be having a 6.5J wide rim whereas Crysta’s 215/55/R17 will be having a 7J wide rim. So the rim width has a difference!

Most probably there shouldn’t be an issue for 0.5J with 215/60/R17 on the Crysta’s rims
In fact, the Crysta's 17 inch tyre width to rim width is off by one size. They have 6.5 j rims which might turn out to be perfect for the hycross.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 09:35   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuttappanAbhi View Post
Team:
I have a Hybrid VX model. Just wanted some help from the community - Did any of you try to connect wired apple carplay in the vehicle. I am facing an interesting issue - Once I connect Apple carplay (wired) irrespective of whether I plug or unplug the wire, the car does not play radio or allow bluetooth connections. It just says 'Audio off'.
I understand that I must be doing something wrong, but unable to find it out. It must be something simple - Did any of you come across this issue, and is there any solution that you can suggest?
Found the answer to this: Just press the power button of the touch screen and it shall go back to Radio. It was so simple, but could be that "spectacle on the nose, but searching for it' issue.
KuttappanAbhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:10   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Wow, that sure looks good. Will the tyres also have to be changed if we fit those Crysta rims?
If you are considering changing the Rims then as suggested by BHPian GH0ST, the HyRyder can also be a good option. The rim size is probably the same as HyCross, since the tyre size is 215/60/R17.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_5455.jpeg
ex-innova-guy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 20:53   #2439

I have been using Gx for 6 months (6500 kms). Usual average fuel efficiency is 12.8kmpl (eco mode, city & Highway, tank to tank).

The lowest figure was 7kmpl, on Valparai Ghat High Range roads.
Maximum ficure was 17kmpl on Highways.

Note: My mom drives it 90% of the time. I am an NRI. Toyota has the same engine in many models here (and it has a huge waiting period). I didn't go for the hybrid, because our usage is very low. And we live in a tier 2 city, so technicians are not trained to handle errors in Hybrids (for now). We just needed a RELIABLE TOYOTA.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-fuel-efficiency.jpeg  

Jeep4x4High is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 23:04   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4x4High View Post
I have been using Gx for 6 months (6500 kms). Usual average fuel efficiency is 12.8kmpl (eco mode, city & Highway, tank to tank).

These are crazy numbers for a 2.0 l Petrol engine on a 7 seater MPV!
I heard from my friend that he gets around 16 kmpl average on the hybrid with the maximum mileage shown in the range of 25 kmpl.

Quote:
And we live in a tier 2 city, so technicians are not trained to handle errors in Hybrids (for now).
Toyota has been selling Camry and Vellfire hybrids for many years now in Kochi. Not knowing how to handle hybrid error codes is not really an option for a Toyota technician in Kochi. Nippon Toyota in Kalamassery, Kochi is considered one of the best Toyota dealerships in the country.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 01:09   #2441

Thank you for your reply. Lets clear the context first.

The hybrid hycross gives good fuel efficiency not due to the battery, but because of the new TNGA Engine, the same engine used in corolla outside India. It gives a thermal efficiency of 41% (which is insane). The Electric assist in acceleration and regeneration is highly efficient. But again, the battery is charged from that 41% efficient Engine.

Now we should REDUCE the Energy transmission efficiency from Engine to battery-pack and then to the wheels. We should also REDUCE the efficiency loss due to higher inertia (battery weight).

Now lets talk about the NA hycross Gx. It uses the SAME ENGINE. Its efficiency is 40%, due to a different fire cycle. It doesn't have electric assist, no electric transmission loss, less inertial loss.

So, everything boils down to 40% vs 41% + electric assist. The fuel efficiency will be lower in the Gx, but not like the crysta petrol 2.7L engine (less than 30% Thermal Efficient).

The Hycross Gx Engine Transmission Chassis is actually taken from the new Corolla, thats why, the Hycross engines are mounted very low. Innovas are sold in 3rd world countries, so Toyota basically engineered the Corolla and derived Kijang Zenix for Indonesia, (Innova Hycross for India). If you look at Youtube videos of the same 2.0L Corolla reviews from US, you will see the fuel efficiency figures to be near 6L/100kms.

No other country cares about fuel efficiency as much as India. I acknowledge we are a poor country, a monthly income bracket of 300$ makes one at the top 10 Percentile in India. At the same time, we Indians go the extra mile to pay 7 lakhs premium for another 5km/L.

Critical Thinking is much needed in our society now. Team BHPians are supposed to be last hope for Scientific Thinking in Automotive Sector. I see youtube videos, making straight comments on the Gx fuel efficiency, without proper analysis. I am not complaining, but we as a society should instill Scientific Temper in every argument.
Jeep4x4High is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 02:00   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Had a good time hitting the hills this weekend. The more I drive this car, the more I love it.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_3960.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_3964.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_3975.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_4006.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_4015.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_4027.jpg

The well calibrated steering is effortless but also manages to offer decent feel and feedback despite being an EPS. The Hycross hides its weight well and there is barely any side to side bodyroll going into corners. There is noticeable nose dive when you brake but it is still rather low by MUV/SUV standards and quite manageable. Braking too is quite sure footed and nice, with it switching seamlessly between regenerative braking and traditional disc braking. Even if you brake hard, the car still manages to regenerate some energy. It's all very confidence inspiring and tempts you into pushing things a bit more.

The stock goodyear triplemax tyres offer decent grip when it's dry but it's barely adequate in wet conditions. Once it started raining, the weight of the hycross started to make itself apparent and I had to brake much earlier and go gently into curves, with a considerably higher margin of error. The urge to upgrade to some premium rubber is getting stronger.

It's now been 7000 kms with the Hycross hybrid. I find myself driving more than I used to, covering long distances and back without a care and still not feeling tired. Normally a trip like this would leave me drained and I wouldn't go out again soon but I was right back at it the next day. I definitely made the right choice when it came to picking a car to drive for hours without a care.

On the negative side, the poor quality of the plastics used on the interiors is starting to become more apparent. There is now a squeak when I push on the plastic trim around the buttons on the steering wheel. Very annoying, I will be posting a video of it later when I have time.
Cresterk is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 10:54   #2443
One
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

The hybrid hycross gives good fuel efficiency not due to the battery, but because of the new TNGA Engine, the same engine used in corolla outside India. It gives a thermal efficiency of 41% (which is insane). The Electric assist in acceleration and regeneration is highly efficient. But again, the battery is charged from that 41% efficient Engine.

So, everything boils down to 40% vs 41% + electric assist. The fuel efficiency will be lower in the Gx, but not like the crysta petrol 2.7L engine (less than 30% Thermal Efficient).
Wouldn't this difference be extremely high in City driving conditions where average speeds tend to be 10-25 kmph?
Old 7th November 2023, 11:40   #2444

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Wouldn't this difference be extremely high in City driving conditions where average speeds tend to be 10-25 kmph?
City conditions where constant stop and go, will give big difference. But there is a catch, hybrids are electric assists, not pure EVs. It works well, when there is constant motion, and occasional highway speeds where it can recharge at not too high RPMs.

If a balance is not maintained between ICE and EV in the hybrids, the battery life suffers. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH. The whole Hybrid system is imported, thats why 7 lakh premium. If it was 2 Lakhs, I would have bought it too.

The thing is, Hybrids are designed for city driving conditions, outside India. Indian market is only a blip for Toyota Internationally. Marutis have spoilt the Indian psyche with 'mileage', which Tata had to address using 'Safety'.

I dont live in a big city. Most of my drives are not to cities. Kerala has huge traffic issue, which make it feel like a city, but we use autorickshas inside Kochi, Keeping the Hycross in pay parking.

I should have done an indepth review of the Gx, and I seriously thought there would be many Gx reviews in Team BHP by petrol heads. Nowadays, I spend most of my time outside India and work load is pretty heavy at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20231106-7.46.33-pm.jpeg  

Jeep4x4High is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 12:05   #2445

In City heavy traffic conditions, Gx usually gives around 10-11 kmpl. High incline on valparai for 10 km distance gave me 7 kmpl, which is decent in power mode. Everyday usage for a person in kerala will give 12.8 kmpl (thats what we are getting). For long journeys with 7 members and luggage to Nagarhole via Wayanad gave a total FE of 13kmpl. When I drive solo, I usually get 14+ kmpl. In highway runs, its always 15-16kmpl, with a maximum of 17kmpl.
Note: Now its mostly driven by my mom. Now remember Fuel Efficiency is inversely proportional to Driving Arrogance. We havent done the 10,000 service.

The CVT always makes sure the RPM is not too high, but accelleration is where we get the drop. This machine is very heavy and the Dynamic Force 2.0 L engine works in Direct injection on full load conditions (reasons for the engine roar, high power) and on Indirect Injection on the normal usage. Eco mode switch basically reduces the usage of DI.

Hycross driving pleasure is another level. I enjoy long drives in it. In city, I dont even use our hatchback. Hycross has better turning radius than fiat Punto. The driver seat visibility is excellent, more like Land Cruiser 300, thanks to new TNGA.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20231107-12.04.15-pm.jpeg  

Jeep4x4High is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks