Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 12:15   #2191
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by payyans View Post

I’ve a major doubt about usage of “Parking Brake” v/s “Shift the liver to P”.

Scenario 1: I am parking the car, do I need set the parking brake ON before moving the liver to P?

Scenario 2. Car stopped for an extended time in a traffic block, what to do in such situation? Just moving the liver to P is sufficient? (If it is a slow moving traffic we can use Hold)

Scenario 3: Car is starting off on sleep uphill, press brake and set the parking brake ON and gently press accelerator?
You don't need to use parking brake button, parking brake automatically engages when you put lever in P.

In slow moving traffic use auto hold instead.

When car is starting off uphill or slope hill start assist will activate where in it will automatically hold brake for 2-3 seconds waiting for you to start accelerating then it will release brakes once you start accelerating.
Auto hold must be standard in all variants i guess, which varient is yours?
manofinfinity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 18:32   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scenario 1: I am parking the car, do I need set the parking brake ON before moving the liver to P?
1. Put the car in Neutral with brakes engaged.
2. Engage Parking brake and release brakes.
3. Shift the gear lever to P.

Got used to doing this in the hills and now do it everywhere.

Quote:
Scenario 2. Car stopped for an extended time in a traffic block, what to do in such situation? Just moving the liver to P is sufficient? (If it is a slow moving traffic we can use Hold)
Both work good. Extended time in traffic block, P is best.
Please note, when on hold and when you press the accelerator to release, the push forward is a little too jerky.

Quote:
Scenario 3: Car is starting off on sleep uphill, press brake and set the parking brake ON and gently press accelerator?
Hill hold should work here. Just keep the brakes engaged and release the brakes softly, and accelerate softly to move forward.

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2023 at 17:42. Reason: Fixing quotes
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:10   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Thank you. I checked on the VIN and it says there is no recall for my VIN.

Thiruvalla Nippon is where I am servicing the next service too, will check personally.
Keep in mind that this will not reflect in the recall link. As i mentioned it seems to be a silent recall limited to a few vehicles
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:22   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Keep in mind that this will not reflect in the recall link. As i mentioned it seems to be a silent recall limited to a few vehicles
Understood. I doubt if the service center people would be forthcoming about it.
Anyways lets see.

What variant and month of manufacture was your friends car?
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 23:11   #2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post

Got wheel arch cladding delivered by vvrcarcare (mob: 9514140203) for around ₹6k including shipping. Installed it myself as I didn't want to wait till weekend to get it done by professionals.The product came well packaged and seller gave me updates on WhatsApp. Will definitely recommend this seller.

Apart from 3M tapes and tape primer, there were screws given for each of the 8 pieces to attach to the underneath of wheel arch. So no holes were needed to be drilled as there were holes already. So just needed a screw driver.
Thank you very much for posting this. I got my VXO delivered 1st week of Aug and I am looking to buy the wheel arch cladding installed. I spoke to VVR Car Cares (with your reference).

I've not done a DIY on this before, so looking for some guidance.

1. Could you please let me know how you got it installed?
2. It would be of immense help if you can post close up pics of where all you had to screw it to the body (in the wheel arch)?
3. I see a overhang with (what looks like a) screw hole (I've marked it out as red-box in the attached pic). Can you let me know where this attaches to?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-hycrosswheelarch.jpg  

Old 25th August 2023, 00:10   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hycross Fuel Tank Recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
So he had his entire fuel tank replaced under warranty. Invoice copy attached.

So there seems to be silent recall on the Hycross fuel tank. I will encourage everyone to check with their respective dealerships
Very interesting. Wonder if it is now E20 material compliant.
Old 26th August 2023, 01:01   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I am not sure whether it was discussed earlier in this thread. The spare 5th tyre is a space saver (with a speed limit of 80kmph) and not a regular sized one.
Is it mentioned somewhere? Not sure which variant you have, but on my ZXO, spare tyre size is 205/65R16 Bridgestone and rating is 95S implying 180 kmph!

Quote:
I had a puncture (with a loud enough sound to notice) on a recent highway trip (followed by rapid loss of tyre pressure to zero in TPMS) and the puncture hole was too big for the normal wick based puncture kit. Fortunately was able to find a decently equipped highway puncture shop guy to fix it with a patch. Seriously thinking of moving to a better set of tyres...
Sudden loss of tyre pressure to zero on highway speed sounds scary, next to a burst. Hope everyone was safe. What speed were you at when it happened and did you have trouble maintaining control?

BTW, I did get the delivery a day before yesterday. For tyres and alloy, this is what I did- Before the delivery, they did discuss options of getting new alloys (original Toyota) /tyres from them. Initially they had said they will buy back stock wheel and tyres as well, but later denied it. That means if I had got new stuff from them, the onus of selling old ones would be on me. Apart from that, they finally told me that none of the alloys meant for other Toyota vehicles (Hyrider, Crysta, Fortuner) are compatible with hycross and that only option I had was to get alloys that come with VX/GX models. I didn't really like those much, especially their color/finish. I was a bit disappointed and had reluctantly decided to opt for the plan B which was to keep the stock alloys and upgrade only the tyres to UC6 with the same size.

Later I just thought of quickly checking out after-market options online. In no time it showed a few olx listings which had ZX/ZXO 18" alloy as well as other alloys from other Toyota cars on sale. Called the guy and he said he has many wheels in different sizes which will fit hycross without any issues. I guessed those would be either duplicate/imitation products or stock wheels from people like me selling new wheels for upgrade reasons. Visited his place and saw what all he had. To my (pleasant!) surprise, he told me that these are all original Toyota wheels from OEM factories and that he even supplies them to Toyota dealers (who sell them at much higher rates) as well as other shops. It wasn't too hard to believe looking at the amount of stock he had and overall quality of the products, packaging and markings on those wheels. For hycross, he showed me a few crysta and hyrider alloys. I didn't want to take any chances and hence tried to thoroughly check all wheel specs to make sure they are really compatible. These shop guys generally check only bolt pattern and PCD, because those things are a must otherwise it is not really possible to use it at all, but ignore bore/hub size, bolt hole size and offset. I noticed that hub size and PCD, bolt hole size and shape was exactly the same for crysta wheels and hycross. These cars have unusual nut and bolt hole shapes! wheel surface around hole edge and the bolt are flat instead of usual cone shape, and the nut has washers (which don't come off even when removed). The bolt hole size and possibly the shape (don't remember exactly) for hyrider was different from hycross/crysta (I believe this is for the latest 2023 crysta, older models could be different). I was fully convinced that crysta alloys are fully compatible with hycross, hence wend ahead with a 16" in machine finish/dark grey combination design. Other reasons were that I liked that specific design over hyrider, and hyrider was 17" (just 1" down size as against 2" of crysta). My daughter actually liked it more than stock 18". Only thing that was different was that the offset was off by 10 or 20 mm and rim width was 6J instead of original 7J. I was fairly confident that these differences should be fine. Moreover, the guy told me that offset difference is just to account for the difference in rim widths so as to maintain same face level after mounting. That was convincing and evident when I checked it by installing a sample on a hub. I paired these alloys with 205/65R16 UC6 tyres. It has -1.5% or so diameter/circumference error (within 2% limit) and on conservative side (odometer speed will be slightly higher than actual). Ideally, I wanted to keep tyre width at 225 itself, but didn't do that as maximum recommended is 205 for a 6J alloy. This size happens to be the same as spare wheel that came with the car.

A set of 4 wheels costed me ~48k and another ~31k for 4 tyres. He deducted 60k for stock wheels and tyres (which I believe amounts to about 60% of its fair market cost, at his rates. Dealers would ask for much higher than that. I finally paid around 20k inclusive of installation/balancing.

Quote:
1. Put the car in Neutral with brakes engaged.
2. Engage Parking brake and release brakes.
3. Shift the gear lever to P.

Got used to doing this in the hills and now do it everywhere.
I believe this recommendation applies to older cars which didn't have electronic parking brakes? It is meant to avoid gear cogs/lock mechanism inside gearbox taking all the load of parked vehicle and thereby avoiding premature failure/wear and associated costly repairs. I guess this car, however, must be controlling everything electronically with good enough intelligence built into it. Moreover, as we move the liver from D to P, it goes through N by design so steps 1 and 3 are naturally followed, while 2 could be redundant as it is expected to engage parking brake on its own as someone said. It should be on safer side if one is used to this sequence though.

Quote:
I would say it's not really needed. The pressures shown are very accurate down to the last PSI.
The itch to replace the stock goodyears with michelin primacy tyres is too strong these days.
My main intention was to monitor spare wheel in addition to other 4, followed by added temperature monitoring. Being able to check it from mobile or getting alerts on it would be a bonus. I guess temperature monitoring is also may not be that necessary since overheating should indirectly reflect in pressure itself- either overheating causing over-inflation or under-inflation leading to overheating. Sine we can't fix 2 sensors on the same valve, I dropped that idea anyway. It is not feasible to remove original sensors and replace them with new ones because in that case the car's system would permanently complain about missing pressure sensors!

Regarding comparison of UC6s with stock, I can't really provide relative feedback since I hardly used the stock wheels at all. With the new tyres, I did feel easily noticeable difference in ride quality. Speed breakers, potholes and uneven road surfaces etc. are cushioned much better as expected, but part of this could be placebo too. I did not notice any unusual wheel vibrations or steering pull or heaviness/lightness in steering at all, it is very much same as before. In terms of noise though, I felt like road noise is higher than what I had expected being new tyres and going by rave reviews about UC6. May be I am expecting too much from them. Also I don't really have a good reference point as I didn't use original tyres much.

After all, as ironic and silly it may sound, I ended up paying 20k to downsize both wheel and tyre sizes Tyre shop owner told me that I am not alone, a few others had already done that before! Hope these wheels serve me better overall. I was concerned about both new wheels and tyres looking too puny and less attractive than originals, but eventually I don't feel so. To me, they are subjectively looking neither small/disproportionate for the car, nor any downgrade in looks department.

Last edited by santosh.s : 26th August 2023 at 01:03.
santosh.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 01:11   #2198
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I am wondering what will be the ideal tyre size and specs for Hycross GX/VX as they come with 16 and 17 inches shod.

Have seen couple of videos on Youtube for -

17" VX 215/60/R17 (looks insufficient for it's size) being upgraded to - 225/60/R17 (still looks small) &
16" GX upgraded to 215/55/R18. (Looks fab)

18" gives a great stance to Hycross and justifies the wheel well as per it's size. As per the shell of Hycorss 18" looks smashing. OEM Hycross ZX comes with 225/50/R18, but 50mm sidewall is too small for a car this vehicle size per our Indian road conditions.

For a big vehicle like Hycross the sidewall should be at least 55mm. Attaching snippet of Hycross GX 16" upgraded to 215/55R18 below for reference.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-hycross-3.jpg
Ajitesh_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 11:31   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I am not sure whether it was discussed earlier in this thread. The spare 5th tyre is a space saver (with a speed limit of 80kmph) and not a regular sized one.
As santosh.s mentioned, it is S rating for Spare tyre implying 180 KMPH top speed. Also, the main tyre has H rating for VX models with 17 inch rims, implying 210 KMPH top speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Is it mentioned somewhere? Not sure which variant you have, but on my ZXO, spare tyre size is 205/65R16 Bridgestone and rating is 95S implying 180 kmph!
Yes, the spare tyre is indeed rated for that speed. It is the same regardless of the variant.
Old 26th August 2023, 22:48   #2200
BHPian

Is it possible to buy a additional 17inch alloy as spare tyre for hycross VX?
Old 26th August 2023, 23:20   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellanand View Post
Thank you very much for posting this. I got my VXO delivered 1st week of Aug and I am looking to buy the wheel arch cladding installed. I spoke to VVR Car Cares (with your reference).

I've not done a DIY on this before, so looking for some guidance.

1. Could you please let me know how you got it installed?
2. It would be of immense help if you can post close up pics of where all you had to screw it to the body (in the wheel arch)?
3. I see a overhang with (what looks like a) screw hole (I've marked it out as red-box in the attached pic). Can you let me know where this attaches to?
Congratulations on the new car! Just saw your post. Unfortunately, the car is super dirty due to rains in Chennai and roads dugs for pipe works near my apartment. Will share soon.
jthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 00:07   #2202
BHPian

Is Android Auto working when you connect via the Type C port (the one in the front)?
For me, it is only charging, but when I connect to the Type A port, it is getting connected to Android Auto.

Also, if anyone has figured a great place to mount the phone, it would be helpful if you can upload some photos.
Old 27th August 2023, 00:13   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Is Android Auto working when you connect via the Type C port (the one in the front)?
For me, it is only charging, but when I connect to the Type A port, it is getting connected to Android Auto.
The Type C port is for charging only. The type A port is for data (android auto/CarPlay)
ashwinikalantri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 00:52   #2204
BHPian

I was wondering if there is any way to activate orvm puddle lamp at night when opening the door, that way it would be really useful in dark.
And is there any way to install innova crysta door lamp as shown in image into hycross, official accessories lamp for hycross is just for show, it does not provide any illumination.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-156986.jpg  

Last edited by manofinfinity : 27th August 2023 at 00:53. Reason: Typo
Old 27th August 2023, 13:11   #2205
BHPian

I had just taken delivery of VXO hycross for my sister and just made an observation regarding Music system Google mails and 360 degree camera.

The music system in VXO is the same as ZX but without two additional tweeters. It’s 10 inch vs 8 inch in VX.

Rest of the interface is same and have few additional physical buttons.

What surprised me is the way this music system is calibrated with the 360 camera and parking sensor.

This 10 inch VXO model is much better calibrated than the music system on VX.

The VX 360 camera and Parking/ proximity
Sensor comes on even at standstill in parking and it’s impossible to use Google maps / android auto/ apple car play in heavy traffic as the maps are always showing 360 camera. You have to manually press touch back button to see google map.

However in VXO when car is in standstill at red light and there is no vehicle moving, 360 camera goes off and google maps come on screen.

Even in moving heavy traffic it is much more better calibrated compared to VX music system.

Moreover, besides this, my main problem of apple car play being continuously getting disconnected remains unresolved even after 6 months and timeline given is Dec end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks