Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2023, 10:49   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
I mostly see mild hybrids on the road, however having experienced the stupidly good mileage of the strong hybrid in city traffic, its surprising I don't see many of them.
Simple - the obscenely high premium for the strong hybrid variants. For a person with normal driving, it makes way more sense to buy the Alpha AT instead of the Alpha+ and use the saved Rs4 lakhs for fuelling the car. Or Alpha manual and use the Rs6L saved for fuel.

We bought a Grand Vitara Alpha+ 10days ago. Since our running is very minimal (500kmpm), we didn't even consider Hybrid variants and had booked Zeta AT, with a slight confusion on whether to go for Alpha AT for the 360deg camera, leather steering/seats - none of us were keen on the sunroof then (but love it now in the Kerala rains - prefer to call it rainroof).

But somehow the red-black interiors weren't to my liking and thus started looking at the Hybrid versions for their all-black interiors. I would have gladly got the Zeta+ version, but after charging 2 lakhs more, they removed 360deg camera and leather seats/steering which were in the Alpha costing 2L less.

That's how I ended up with Alpha+, not for the mileage, but for all-black interiors. My wife says she never knew I was so keen on interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
We recently added Grand Vitara Sigma to our garage...
Equipment list has almost all basics...
Music system and alloy were added as accessories.
At 13.2L on road with all the additional accessories, it offers unbeatable value too.
Yes, in manual variants, the Sigma is total VFM.
And in AT, the Delta AT is the most VFM.
Only thing I would miss in both would be the 6 airbags. Other stuff like alloys & music can be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I got the GV strong hybrid in June and have clocked 4900kms till date. Although the average mileage I'm getting is around 16.5kmpl (100% city driving with 100% AC on) which is not extra ordinary by hybrid standards.
That's kinda low FE for a Grand Vitara strong hybrid. My friend in Chennai city office commute gets around 20, while I get the same in Kochi city commute with roads narrow and congested. What's your typical commute like - duration, kms, traffic etc ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 30th September 2023 at 10:52.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 11:54   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

That's kinda low FE for a Grand Vitara strong hybrid. My friend in Chennai city office commute gets around 20, while I get the same in Kochi city commute with roads narrow and congested. What's your typical commute like - duration, kms, traffic etc ?
I know it's low for a hybrid but my daily running is around 50-60kms per day and almost all of it is either in bumper to bumper traffic or in pothole ridden roads, thereby, my average speed remains within 20-25kmph. I believe Kolkata has one of the worst road conditions in India. Anyway, I don't know if I should have got better FE or not. Also, 80% of the time it's chauffeur driven but I don't think even a bad driving style will pull the mileage down from 20 to 16kmpl. Either way hope it will improve after oil change.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 12:05   #663
Kln
BHPian

Maruti has its fingers firmly on the pulse of the nation. Great job, MSIL. Say what you will, Maruti knows how to sell cars year over year over year. Many were predicting its demise after going petrol only. But in retrospect it seems it was the correct choice to make.

Maruti is the greatest example of 'get your basics right, success will follow'.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 13:47   #664
BHPian

Quote:
I know it's low for a hybrid but my daily running is around 50-60kms per day and almost all of it is either in bumper to bumper traffic or in pothole ridden roads, thereby, my average speed remains within 20-25kmph. I believe Kolkata has one of the worst road conditions in India. Anyway, I don't know if I should have got better FE or not. Also, 80% of the time it's chauffeur driven but I don't think even a bad driving style will pull the mileage down from 20 to 16kmpl. Either way hope it will improve after oil change.
I would be curious to know how does this 16.5 kmpl in a hybrid compare against your previous ride (presumably a standard petrol?)
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 15:10   #665
BHPian

A lakh of these already on the road and many more to follow. Obviously people see a lot of value in it. My issue is about when would we get a categorical answer to the question of how safe it is?!
Old 30th September 2023, 16:08   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBoy View Post
My issue is about when would we get a categorical answer to the question of how safe it is?!
Hopefully tomorrow or in the coming weeks. Maruti has sent the Baleno, Brezza and the Grand Vitara for BNCAP testing.

Link (Bharat NCAP launched in India | Crash safety ratings for adult & child occupants)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th September 2023 at 16:12.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 06:37   #667

Quote:
You will be surprised to know how much driving style has an effect even in the hybrids. My commute is also mostly within cities. My normal driving style where i just accelerate to the full in every open bit of space yields me 19 to 20kmpl. Whereas being very light and gentle on the foot gives me a mileage of 23-24 kmpl. The end result, i reach my destination in almost similar times with both the driving styles. So i started employing the second one. Even a small change in your driving style can affect your mileage significantly. If hybrid is giving only 16kmpl, damn sure petrol model will give only 10kmpl.
itsmystyle07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:01   #668
BHPian

Guys, some advice please. Late this morning I heard a sound like a cardboard box being jumped on, outside my window. Looked out and saw my rear windshield sporting a starred design. Rushed out to check and saw it was smashed, with a small chunk fallen outside on one side and a pinprick hole with radiating cracks on the other. I saw there was nothing on the parcel tray and nothing suspicious lying on the ground nearby, so ruled out something having fallen on the glass from above, though the pinpoint damage was baffling. My first thought was that it could be due to a pressure difference between the cabin interior and outside, though the weather now is muggy and cloudy, so can't believe the greenhouse effect could be the reason.
Anyway my concern is that if I get the glass replaced by, say, Windshield Experts, under insurance, would it void any warranty on the the car, as it's a November '22 model, Alpha Allgrip.
Since today's a Sunday and tomorrow is also a government holiday I'm unable to contact Maruti Nexa to ask them.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20231001_130244.jpg  

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20231001_130413.jpg  

FarPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:19   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I would be curious to know how does this 16.5 kmpl in a hybrid compare against your previous ride (presumably a standard petrol?)
No, the previous car was a diesel Innova, driven entirely by the same chauffeur and used to give 9-10kmpl. My second car is City petrol driven only by me and I get around 10-11kmpl. All these figures are city driving with 100% AC use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Anyway my concern is that if I get the glass replaced by, say, Windshield Experts, under insurance, would it void any warranty on the the car, as it's a November '22 model, Alpha Allgrip.
Since today's a Sunday and tomorrow is also a government holiday I'm unable to contact Maruti Nexa to ask them.
As far as I know, changing rear windshield from outside doesn't void any warranty. But why would you want to go this route if you're going to claim insurance, considering you have defogger in your rear windshield.

Last edited by Carpainter : 1st October 2023 at 15:24.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 16:23   #670
BHPian

Quote:

As far as I know, changing rear windshield from outside doesn't void any warranty. But why would you want to go this route if you're going to claim insurance, considering you have defogger in your rear windshield.
Because of the holiday tomorrow and I would need to drive in this condition from Sion to Nerul, though I have taped it with plastic. Windshield Experts is much nearer, in Chembur and have promised to replace the glass in 2-3 hrs, once the insurance claim comes through. They've assured me they have the right glass for me.
Old 2nd October 2023, 00:12   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Why not just take it to the dealership if you are anyway going to claim insurance?
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:23   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Why not just take it to the dealership if you are anyway going to claim insurance?
Because the ASC I go to is 25 km away, while WE is about 4 km away. Also because the monsoons are ending here in Mumbai with heavy rains and I don't want to drive further than necessary in this condition.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 21:51   #673
BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review after 13000 KM / 1 year

My Grand Vitara Zeta 6AT will be 1 year old in another 10 days and here is my short review after about 1 year and 13000 KM of usage. My earlier ride was a Etios Liva Petrol.

PROs
a) The seating position is higher and ride quality is good
b) Very good fuel economy - I used to get 15KMPL in Highway and 13 KMPL in City in my earlier drive. Despite being heavier and a bigger 1.5 L engine, GV gives around 20 KMPL in Highway and around 16 KMPL in City.
c) GV's Engine is more refined and silent than Liva's engine
d) Engine Stop Start and regenerative braking is the secret to better mileage in City.

CONs
a) Though the ergonomics like seat comfort is good, the ergonomics in Liva was better
b) Quality of windshield wiper is not as good as in Liva (even though Liva had a single wiper)
c) The service quality of Maruti Nexa is not good as compared with Toyota. For my 10 K service, I preferred the Maruti Suzuki Arena Service centre instead of Nexa and it was OK.
d) The driver side Nexa accessory mat was placed without provision for locking. After taking up couple to times, the dealer arranged for the safety locks.

There has not been any issue with the vehicle till now. Installed Viofo A139 Pro 1 Channel Dash cam which I consider a must nowadays. Thinking of adding a Rear camera also.

The details of the fuel efficiency in my last two long trips:
a) Chennai - Tuticorin - Chennai (1190 KM, 95% highway, Average Speed 75 KMPL, FE- 19.1 KMPL)
Started off from my home near Thiruvanmiyur at 5:45 AM and reached Tuticorin at 2 PM and started by return journey at 3:45 PM and reached home at 11:45 PM. Had one break each way for breakfast/ dinner approx 20 Minutes each. So 1190 KM covered in approx 16 hours at a average speed of 75 KMPH despite some rains in between. With 2 passengers including me, the average fuel economy was 19.1 KMPL as per MID and 19.2 KMPL on Tank Full basis(1190 KM, 62 Litres)

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-img_20230921_235213871.jpg

b) Chennai - Venkatagiri - Chennai ( 355 KM, 70% highway, 15% peak hour B2B traffic, 15% Early morning city traffic Average Speed- 45 KMPH, FE-19.3 KMPL)
Started at 6:30 AM from home (south Chennai) and crossed chennai city in early morning traffic, reached Venkatagiri at 10 AM. MID Displayed a FE of 20.4 KMPL for 172 KM.
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-img_20230923_100700933_hdr.jpg

Return journey started at 3:45 PM and reached home at 8:15 PM after enduring B2B peak hour traffic from Redhills to Thiruvanmiyur. Overall FE is 19.3 KMPL (as per MID)
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-img20231002wa0018.jpg

Last edited by DImPo : 2nd October 2023 at 21:53.
DImPo is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:31   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
My Grand Vitara Zeta 6AT will be 1 year old in another 10 days and here is my short review after about 1 year and 13000 KM of usage.
This is the first review I'm reading about the 1.5L+6AT combo. I wanted to know how the performance of the car is out on the highways? I understand that TC boxes suck most of the power out of the engine and this is a very underpowered engine as well.

I have only driven the Pure Hybrid and that seemed decent during my very short test drive. Though I feel like my views may not be entirely correct as I had test-driven the Taigun with the DSG gearbox a few hours prior.
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:09   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
This is the first review I'm reading about the 1.5L+6AT combo. I wanted to know how the performance of the car is out on the highways?
My Brezza has the same 1.5L+6AT combination. I don't suppose the performance of both these models would be too far from each other. I test drove a Grand Vitara mild hybrid MT again very recently too.

Under 100 kmph, the car is smooth and refined, though overtakes have to be planned consciously a little in advance. I love keeping the car between 80 and 100 kmph (just around 2000 RPM), and it rewards me with enough power but also great fuel economy. The FE figures of the two mild hybrids would not be too different from each other. Highway drives give me anything between 18 and 22 kmpl, which is stellar for a car with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Above 100 kmph, the engine gets progressively noisier though you still have most of the power.

Above 120 kmph, just when the beeps become incessantly loud, the car starts to gasp for air, the road and engine noise increases exponentially. Fuel economy tanks way more than you expect, though more pronounced in the MT over the AT (extra AT gear = lower RPMs). It becomes a lot more jittery than I'm used to in my i20 Active. Long story short, you cannot drive the car above 120 kmph without considerable effort and stress.
But it's not like 120+ kmph is a safe or sustainable driving speed on any Indian highways anyway.

The Grand Vitara mild hybrid is not really a pure highway car, more like it does passably well in most conditions thrown at it.

For pure highway driving at 100+ kmph, you'll probably need to look at other more powerful cars in the same segment, like the Taigun/Kushaq or Creta/Seltos.

For pure city driving, the Grand Vitara strong hybrid variant is brilliant, close to eye watering fuel economy.

Last edited by Small Bot : 3rd October 2023 at 21:10.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks