Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2023, 23:06   #631
BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

A few points on my experience with the car.
I found the ends of the wiper and indicator stalks too smooth to rotate easily, especially in the ac atmosphere which make my fingers very dry, so did some jugaad to make it easier for me. I wrapped a thin strip of self amalgamating tape on each stalk, which works wonders for gripping them.
I also found the steering wheel very smooth to the touch, so added a silicone cover with a slightly rough surface. Much better and safer, I find.
My face also had a rather nasty argument with the corner of the door, leaving my cheek with a bad gash, just missing my eye. The combination of a dark coloured door and not enough patience in getting into the car on a dark, rainy night caught me unawares. I intend to paint the inside of the corner with a bit of white correction fluid, just to get my attention while getting in or out. Hope it works.
Some pics of the stalks, steering wheel cover and the door corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20230804_093634.jpg  

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20230804_093649.jpg  

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20230804_093844.jpg  

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-20230804_094001.jpg  

FarPatel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 08:07   #632
BHPian

Re: Why I booked a Grand Vitara instead of other SUVs in the segment

Great Decision. Please do check on purchase through CSD as it will save you a lot. I don't know much about it but you can easily save around 1.5-1.7 lakhs. Someone I know bought a car through CPC (Central Police Canteen) and the car costed them around 4 lakhs instead of 5 lakhs on-road. This was back in 2012. The higher the price of the car, the more you save though CSD or CPC.
noblebeam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 08:28   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebeam View Post
Great Decision. Please do check on purchase through CSD as it will save you a lot. I don't know much about it but you can easily save around 1.5-1.7 lakhs. Someone I know bought a car through CPC (Central Police Canteen) and the car costed them around 4 lakhs instead of 5 lakhs on-road. This was back in 2012. The higher the price of the car, the more you save though CSD or CPC.
The sales executive gave us a breakdown of cost and it seems that we will be saving on CGST part as that is not applicable through CSD. From what I remember, it's a saving of around 1.25 Lakhs. The problem with CSD is the long procedure. You have to book the car -> once the car is in the dealership, he will provide an availability certificate -> Take the certificate, submit to CSD H.O, pay the amount and get the pro-forma invoice -> Submit the pro-forma invoice to the dealership -> Wait for them to get that invoice authenticated -> Collect your vehicle. Unfortunately, all this process starts AFTER your car is in dealership, so your delivery is delayed by atleast a week or more depending on how long it takes for the entire process.
Old 8th August 2023, 10:16   #634
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt, please help me clear that.

Many members, in various threads, say that Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid has less power and should be avoided.

Whereas for Brezza, I don't read similar posts. In fact, I read posts recommending Brezza over other similar CSUVs.

I checked the specifications:

Brezza (5M/T) Kerb Weight: 1145-1190 Kg.

Grand Vitara (5M/T) Kerb Weight: 1150-1185 Kg.

*Source: User Guide / Brochure downloaded from Maruti website.

Since, they both have same engine and almost similar weight, why one is slow and weak and other is fine and recommended? Are they differently tuned by Maruti?

What is your opinion?
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:57   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi everyone,

Many members, in various threads, say that Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid has less power and should be avoided.

What is your opinion?
Well, I don't know what car the others are comparing it to but I think my Alpha AWD is a pocket rocket in its normal mode and on steroids when I activate sport mode.
A test drive should help you decide, one way or the other.
Cheers.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 12:12   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi everyone,

The AT gearbox in the Smart Hybrid (mild hybrid) definitely seems underpowered when compared to peers like Creta or Taigun. Strong Hybrid is a different story altogether though.
However, it would be best if you test drive it yourself and see if it's as per your driving style or not.
LtStealthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 13:41   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtStealthy View Post
3. Grand Vitara
[*]The Sales Executive gave us test drive in Alpha CVT smart hybrid variant. The test drive was almost 50 kms long. He asked us to take the car till the McDonalds signal before Bangalore Airport toll booth. The best part, he gave us this long test drive without even asking.
A small correction, there is no CVT in smart hybrid, its 6 speed Torque Convertor. The E-CVT is there only in strong hybrid.
aks812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 14:47   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks812 View Post
A small correction, there is no CVT in smart hybrid, its 6 speed Torque Convertor. The E-CVT is there only in strong hybrid.
My bad! You are correct. We took the test drive of the TC variant.
Old 19th August 2023, 08:37   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtStealthy View Post
The AT gearbox in the Smart Hybrid (mild hybrid) definitely seems underpowered when compared to peers like Creta or Taigun. Strong Hybrid is a different story altogether though.
However, it would be best if you test drive it yourself and see if it's as per your driving style or not.
It's not underpowered by any means.

You won't win any drag races, but that engine and gearbox is really good for pulling hard up to 150 kmph.
Never have I felt it underpowered while overtaking, infact, sometimes, just for kicks, I downshift and floor it.

It doesn't disappoint.
Otto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:55   #640
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Recently I noticed that when I press the start button, there is a click from under the glove box. When I turn on the engine I again hear the click from under the glove box. Car starts fine. When I turn off the engine I again hear the click from under the glove box. I realise there is a fuse box there but unsure if this was there already? I recently added an aftermarket horn using a 4-pin relay which one placed in the engine compartment.

Is the click(s) normal while turning on and off the ignition? Please help.
Old 22nd August 2023, 17:25   #641
BHPian

For a family of (me, wifey, 2 year daughter and my mom), looking for a MPV/SUV for 50-50 City/Highway usage.
Following were the requirements
- Need an automatic
- Needs to be SUV/MPV
- Mix of 50-50 city and highway (Plan monthly weekend getaways)
* Oh yes, this city means Banashankari to Marathahalli 3 days a week
- Good enough boot space for weekends and for 5-7 day trips
- Decent mileage expected
- Hassle free and good after sales service
- Planning to keep the car for 10-12 years
- Good suspension and NVH
- Good cabin spaciousness and cooling are important

Any suggestions from the below 3 options, I know Maruti after sales and service is great, but are the premium cars (rather premium charged for these cars) worth the price?

After checking out the cars, I am zeroing in on these 3
- Maruti XL6
- Seltos HTX
- Maruti GV Zeta

Loved the XL6 due to lots of space and suits us family of 4 perfectly.
However, the quality isn't inspire too much confidence.

Seltos cabin is much nicer, supposed to be better built in 2023 variant.
Suspension felt stiff, but this can be tweaked I guess.
Felt more expensive, and the sunroof not sure how it balances the car and the lifespan.

The GV is practically perfect for city, and weekend drives with good mileage and service.
The ground clearance and suspension is very good.
However, cabin is not too wide, and the sunroof shade is so flimsy and transparent.
The cost is also expensive.

My question is GV is 22.5L vs 17.5L for XL6, is the premium worth it?
Old 22nd August 2023, 17:44   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2maddy View Post
For a family of (me, wifey, 2 year daughter and my mom), looking for a MPV/SUV for 50-50 City/Highway usage.
Following were the requirements
- Need an automatic
- Needs to be SUV/MPV
- Mix of 50-50 city and highway (Plan monthly weekend getaways)
* Oh yes, this city means Banashankari to Marathahalli 3 days a week
- Good enough boot space for weekends and for 5-7 day trips
- Decent mileage expected
- Hassle free and good after sales service
- Planning to keep the car for 10-12 years
- Good suspension and NVH
- Good cabin spaciousness and cooling are important

Any suggestions from the below 3 options, I know Maruti after sales and service is great, but are the premium cars (rather premium charged for these cars) worth the price?

After checking out the cars, I am zeroing in on these 3
- Maruti XL6
- Seltos HTX
- Maruti GV Zeta

Loved the XL6 due to lots of space and suits us family of 4 perfectly.
However, the quality isn't inspire too much confidence.

Seltos cabin is much nicer, supposed to be better built in 2023 variant.
Suspension felt stiff, but this can be tweaked I guess.
Felt more expensive, and the sunroof not sure how it balances the car and the lifespan.

The GV is practically perfect for city, and weekend drives with good mileage and service.
The ground clearance and suspension is very good.
However, cabin is not too wide, and the sunroof shade is so flimsy and transparent.
The cost is also expensive.

My question is GV is 22.5L vs 17.5L for XL6, is the premium worth it?
1.You should be looking at the difference between the On Road price of the vehicles.
2. The milage, city and highway.
3. Cost of service.
Don't get fooled by fancy cabins, how well will it age over ten years is the question.
Getting a tint put on the sunroof is much more practical than tweaking the suspension.
Choice should be between the GV and XL6
rdhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:01   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhan View Post
1.You should be looking at the difference between the On Road price of the vehicles.
2. The milage, city and highway.
3. Cost of service.
Don't get fooled by fancy cabins, how well will it age over ten years is the question.
Getting a tint put on the sunroof is much more practical than tweaking the suspension.
Choice should be between the GV and XL6
How bad is the heat dissipation due to the transparent sunroof liner in GV?
I can see it is bad, but haven't checked out if the car is parked under sun as against Seltos which has good inner protection.

The cabin quality is actually better in Seltos, I am not talking about the Gizmos, don't care too much about it, but the seats and cabin felt nicer and better headroom.

However, from TCO POV, nothing beats GV, but that's the not only thing always though.
Old 22nd August 2023, 21:29   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Hi everyone,

Recently I noticed that when I press the start button, there is a click from under the glove box. When I turn on the engine I again hear the click from under the glove box. Car starts fine. When I turn off the engine I again hear the click from under the glove box. I realise there is a fuse box there but unsure if this was there already? I recently added an aftermarket horn using a 4-pin relay which one placed in the engine compartment.

Is the click(s) normal while turning on and off the ignition? Please help.
Anyone please help validate this? I am going crazy because of this. If anyone can confirm if the clicks happen in their GV too, I am happy
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 07:53   #645
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone upgraded the tyres on the GV to fatter ones while keeping the same rims? If yes, could you post some photos?

The car seems to come with tyres that are a bit too thin from the factory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks