Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2022, 11:50   #301
BHPian

Re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
But Hybrid variants will suffer from weak NVH as three pot is not at all as refined as a regular 4 pot engine. As the usage increases, the engine noise also increases as a general characteristic with all the IC engines. They can play as many games as they want if they are selling at lower price points. We have to pay 24 L OTR for a 3 pot engine where FE is the only USP. Not able to accept this at all imho.
Agree with the NVH. However, I feel the NVH here is more pronounced since it switches from a silent electric to a 3 Pot grunt. Sudden noise can never be pleasant

There are other 3 Pot engines on the market (Kushaq/Taigun) and NVH there is less of a concern. The switch between tranquility of electric motor and grunt of a 3 Pot engine is making people uneasy (especially when revved hard).

Personally, an AWD with Abysmal power output never made sense to me. Not sure what the geniuses at Maruti/Toyota were thinking. They had the potential to kill the competition.
smilingakash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:11   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
That's extremely disappointing to hear. I was hoping to see more promising results from the test drives. I'll have to seriously rethink my choice, since I have booked an Alpha Allgrip MT myself.
Was there a typo in your description of the car above? The AWD is available in only the Alpha, not the Alpha+, in which the only option is the e-CVT.
Yes it was the Alpha and not Alpha+ , thanks for the correction. Request to mods to correct the same if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Sports mode is for the power distribution in the AWD system I believe. Won't have any difference in engine performance , but may feel difference during hard cornering.
As per Suzuki the Sports mode is supposed to give extra torque and acceleration. See this very good explanation by Suzuki

https://www.globalsuzuki.com/allgrip/

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th October 2022 at 23:45. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 14:08   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Biggest concern : The engine. Never thought I would be typing this, but after my test drive experience of recently launched Brezza and XL6 yesterday, this could be a big hurdle for those who frequent highways.
The K15C engine in XL6 and Brezza feel dead, literally, as one starts to speed up. With Grand Vitara being the heavier machine, it would certainly not be up to the task. Good cruiser on expressway but on undivided highways, this engine will be bothersome. It wouldn't be exactly fair to compare sedan with XL6, but with the amount of throttle inputs I was giving, my 2014 City petrol would have zoomed off. With full load in either XL6 or Grand Vitara, after spending on the asking price, it would definitely be a disappointment for buyers. Maruti needs to be more alert as historically they haven't have had success in this segment. Playing too safe with efficiency card makes the engine performance not blunt, but rather dead. Potential buyers should go for a longer test drive with 4-5 passengers and then take prudent call.

Overall, a good alternative to Creta/Seltos but headroom could be better. It would a great alternative to Creta/Seltos with a more energetic engine.
Hi,
Do you think it would manage steep incline with stop and go traffic with 5 people on board and full luggage ?

I assume Grand Vitara and XL6 would perform the same while Brezza would be better by a margin.

But my greater concern is the power that it lacks.

I am planning a family car and I think in such situations I cannot ask my family members to get down on such situation considering my mother is a senior citizen.

I am also looking into Brezza ZXI / Nexon XZ+ HS / Honda City.

Ingress and egress is something my mother would decide.

Being a sedan owner what do you feel how would be sedan vs these SUVs for old age parents.
Old 10th October 2022, 17:01   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujKapur View Post
Hi,
Do you think it would manage steep incline with stop and go traffic with 5 people on board and full luggage ?

I assume Grand Vitara ... parents.
The lack of power is definitely a concern, it will be more pronounced when you have a fully loaded car on highways and want to make an overtaking maneuver. This is where you will feel the progress is very slow, and like hitting a wall. I drive a City Petrol 4th Generation and 2012 Innova diesel. Both these machines are much better to drive than two K15C equipped cars I have driven. Crossover/SUV is certainly better for ingress and egress. But for me atleast, K15C is a deal breaker, for most it may not be. After spending around a million or more rupees on a car, I dont want it to feel so under-powered. Will suggest that you take a longer test drive and drive under varied conditions to have a better feel if it suits your requirement and driving style. For senior citizens, my grandparents are more comfortable in Innova than City be it ingress, egress or the ride quality. A crossover/SUV will certainly be a more practical choice.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 21:00   #305
BHPian

Got a message from Chennai Nexa dealer "Grand Vitara stocks available, for further details please contact" and there was a list attached. A mixed bag of smart hybrid Alpha and Zeta models both AT and MT.

Booking wait list sure ended quickly.
Old 11th October 2022, 22:01   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Vitara Mild-hybrid and Strong Hybrid full tank range test.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 11th October 2022 at 22:15.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 22:52   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Got a message from Chennai Nexa dealer "Grand Vitara stocks available, for further details please contact" and there was a list attached. A mixed bag of smart hybrid Alpha and Zeta models both AT and MT.

Booking wait list sure ended quickly.
Today I received an email from my NEXA dealership that they have cancelled my booking since I didn't submit the payment asked for the allotted ZETA AT, and I need to provide them my bank details for the refund.

They anyway denied TD.

Hence my new Grand Vitara ZETA AT splendid silver pre-booking has been cancelled by NEXA Gurgaon. Tomorrow I'll send them my bank details for the refund.
Old 11th October 2022, 23:35   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
They anyway denied TD.
So, they are expecting customers to put in money without even trying the vehicle ? Are they thinking themselves as Mahindra, Hyundai or Kia ?

Can you please elaborate on what transpired ?
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 23:39   #309
BHPian

Quote:
The lack of power is definitely a concern, it will be more pronounced when you have a fully loaded car on highways and want to make an overtaking maneuver. This is where you will feel the progress is very slow, and like hitting a wall.
Quote:
But for me atleast, K15C is a deal breaker, for most it may not be. After spending around a million or more rupees on a car, I dont want it to feel so under-powered.
We need a car with Panoramic sunroof, 360 degree camera, wireless charging, Ventilated seats, 6 airbags, ambient lighting, puddle lamp, air purifier, auto wiper, auto headlamp, cooled glove box, cornering lights, HUD, auto folding ORVM, electronic parking brake, powered seat adjustment etc etc. Add 5 star crash safety to it. These features would not cost less than 5 lakhs extra at the minimum.

Now, the thought process in Maruti Suzuki might be that these customers while paying for close to 18-20 lakhs OTR (+/-) and upwards for a car with such features and luxuries can't afford to pay for extra one lakh or so in terms of fuel cost over a period of 5-6 years. Most of such customers are just okay with a car which might struggle with 5 persons and full luggage. They don't mind not be able to use engine power when genuinely needed.
Fuel economy number is their supreme concern.

While most are responsible /sedate drivers on road and some loves the fun component, no one certainly minds good mileage for sure. If technology can give us best of power and mileage both no one would mind. Best Examples are Hybrids which will give us both. We can also get decent mileage out of an adequately powered car when driven with a steady and light foot. But we cannot use a underpowered car as a Sport Utility Vehicle or for that rare moment of emergency and genuine need of power. Can we ?
Old 12th October 2022, 01:11   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
So, they are expecting customers to put in money without even trying the vehicle ? Are they thinking themselves as Mahindra, Hyundai or Kia ?

Can you please elaborate on what transpired ?
I have already posted the updates in this thread. This NEXA dealership created trouble from the very first day.

Maruti Suzuki secured 65k+ bookings for this car. And the demand seems to be pretty high for this car. I am surprised to see people buying the new Grand Vitara without having a test drive. Anyway, it is my hard earned money and I can't buy 18 Lakhs + OTR car without having a test drive. I had total 4 nos. of brief test drives (3-4 kms, one was about 7 km) of Scorpio N. The Z4 expected delivery date is between November and January. I loved the drives in Scorpio N than the XL6 & Brezza on highway and city roads.

I pre-booked the new Grand Vitara on 22nd July. Maruti Suzuki NEXA guys are adamant that no TD is possible.
Booked the Scorpio N on 30th July. Did 4 TD by 1st week of August. Even after the huge booking numbers and long waiting period, the Mahindra and Mahindra sales people call us for TD every week.
RijuC is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 14:03   #311
BHPian

Canceled my Grand Vitara Hybrid top-end booking.

The car doesn't feel worth 23L on road.

Seltos/Creta/Taigun/Kushaq is a much better package

Underpowered engines are OK, atleast the NVH should be perfect. Sell an underpowered car with silent cabin, that would atleast differentiate this in a positive way.

That HU is annoyingly in the face for the driver and front seat passenger. Makes the cabin feel suffocating.

Head room is terrible for driver's seat in the highest position. Setting it lower didn't feel nice ergonomics wise.

As for premium audio mentioned in brochure, the SQ is sad.

Last edited by GoBlue : 12th October 2022 at 14:07.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:07   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara Strong Hybrid vs Honda City Hybrid: Real-world fuel-efficiency compared.

Quote:
Based on the mileage figures achieved by both these strong-hybrid models during our tests, the SUV has an edge of around 2kmpl in both city and highway driving over the City Hybrid.
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:04   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Hence my new Grand Vitara ZETA AT splendid silver pre-booking has been cancelled by NEXA Gurgaon. Tomorrow I'll send them my bank details for the refund.
Quote:
I pre-booked the new Grand Vitara on 22nd July. Maruti Suzuki NEXA guys are adamant that no TD is possible.
Booked the Scorpio N on 30th July. Did 4 TD by 1st week of August. Even after the huge booking numbers and long waiting period, the Mahindra and Mahindra sales people call us for TD every week.
Consider this as a blessings in disguise !

In my opinion, Grand Vitara hype may not last long. Today I recieved whatsapp message from a SA of a Nexa dealership mentioning availibility of 7-8 cars from Zeta and Alpha variants (both MT and AT). He also said that if the variant/colour is not in stock it can be made available in 15 days. Most of the SA (Arena included) I talked to were not comfortable with the pricing.

You can take test drive from other Nexa dealer when available and compare it with your test drive of Scorpio N and take a informed decision. Availibility of Grand Vitara except for the base Sigma model should not be a concern.

With a Global recession predicted by many economists, we do not know if the current trend of Pricing the cars can sustain beyond 3-4 months !
d-g-p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 11:15   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Canceled my Grand Vitara Hybrid top-end booking.

The car doesn't feel worth 23L on road.

Seltos/Creta/Taigun/Kushaq is a much better package

Underpowered engines are OK, atleast the NVH should be perfect. Sell an underpowered car with silent cabin, that would atleast differentiate this in a positive way.

As for premium audio mentioned in brochure, the SQ is sad.
Maruti has to learn its lesson of actually giving premium quality what they lovingly call premium. Their history of making entry levels cars has clouded their definition of premium. Sharing of parts in the interest of keeping costs down is one thing but slapping them on the entire range is nothing but silly. Sit in a comparative Hyundai or a Kia and there you see what quality is.

The only way they will learn their lesson is when their over confidence in pricing is battered by lack of demand and unsold inventory. That however looks like a distant dream as of now looking at how the demand supply situation is right now.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:00   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
Sit in a comparative Hyundai or a Kia and there you see what quality is.

The only way they will learn their lesson is when their over confidence in pricing is battered by lack of demand and unsold inventory. That however looks like a distant dream as of now looking at how the demand supply situation is right now.
Quality or Premiumness??

Actually what we are looking for is the "Premiumness" and not the "quality" in Maruti Suzuki cars in the price range of 18-25 Lakhs, i.e., the new Grand Vitara. The quality is always maintained for the Maruti Suzuki cars.

The definition of "Quality" as per industrial practice and quality manuals, SOPs are entirely different. And the Maruti Suzuki is still number one in Indian market because their Quality Assurance, Quality Control functions still perform in excellent manner. That is the very basis of their bulletproof reliability. How many niggles and design flaws, problems are reported in Maruti Suzuki cars? And just think about the quality of service they provide, spare parts availability they ensure for the lifetime of their products.

What they lack is the Premiumness expected in a premium price range product. And when we compare it with the closest competition, Maruti Suzuki cars usually have the lowest Premiumness or no Premiumness at all; except the price premium for the Fuel efficiency and bulletproof reliability of their products.

Regarding the unsold inventory; the NEXA Sales persons have already started WhatsApp status message publishing the available inventory of the new Grand Vitara. Higher variants seem to have higher stock of unsold inventory. Though it is very early or extremely small sample to deduce anything. That particular NEXA dealership may have some cancellations and hence the availability of unsold inventory was published in WhatsApp status as a desparate effort by the SA to push the sales.
RijuC is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks