Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 22:21   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti Grand Vitara Review

As they say, there are no bad products, only bad prices. Price will be the sole factor which would decide the success of this car, given that it doesn't excel in any area (other than mileage, & AWD in a single variant). The Indians, Koreans & Chinese have features, looks, space & power. That leaves this Maruti (& Hyryder by extension) solely dependent on pricing to get sales.
superbad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:35   #32
BHPian

Covering Four drive trains of a model in a single review was always challenging. A big thumbs up for this unbiased review.
I wonder if mild hybrid and intelligent hybrid should have been two different models in the very first place. Lot of componenents, driving behaviour, refinement and NVH, warranty (battery) conditions, maintainance would be different for the two broad variants.
The Strong (Intelligent) Hybrid would be an excellent proposition for primarily city driving requirement as confirmed in review. But, I am not so sure why this mild hybrid model is introduced with the same 1.5 K15C engine with almost similar tuning of two pre existing models ( Brezza and XL6 ) from Maruti Suzuki. The increase in length by almost 45cm has not transformed into significant changes in either bootspace or cabin space if compared to so called lower segment Brezza (Approx 350 to 375 bootspace of GV mild hybrid vs 328 litres in Brezza). Is this due to significant increase in front and rear overhang ? Cabin is slightly better than the previous models but not the practicality. Feature wise also the mild hybrid alpha model lacks a lot features compared to Intelligent Hybrid alpha plus as well as Brezza and XL6 top models AT version. Most of other reviews elsewhere are also critical of 5 speed Gear box and driving performance in hilly terrain.
I have already cancelled the UC hyryder booking as strong hybrid wont serve my purpose with the low bootspace. Now just thinking if I should cancel Grand Vitara booking without waiting for price reveal !

Last edited by d-g-p : 18th September 2022 at 22:53.
d-g-p is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 23:07   #33
BHPian

I don't think this review adds terribly to what we already know about the car. The naysayers and never-Suzuki folks along with the Suzuki fanboys (if any) have not found any reasons to change their minds after the Grand Vitara- Hyryder test drives and the fence sitters are still waiting the price reveal to make up their minds. So, situation is what it was earlier as well.

As far as the people who are fence sitting, i can fairly confidently say, the Strong Hybrid prices of Hyryder are unlikely to be achieved by Suzuki and is likely to be more expensive.

On an unrelated note, i still miss the format of the old T-BHP reviews. The reviews now a days are to the point for sure but the older ones were more lyrical
Carma2017 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 23:24   #34
BANNED

Thanks for the detailed review on Strong Hybrid and on the off road capabilities of the AWD variant.

It is a bit sad though, there is no inputs on the mild hybrid variant which the majority will be going for in real life. Though team-bhp team did not get to drive the 1.5 Manual, it seems some reviewers like Sirish Chandran drove the 1.5 Manual Mild Hybrid. His review was mostly positive. The link is below, if someone wants to get an idea of the 1.5 Manual on Grand Vitara

Would have been really great if team-bhp team had actually got a chance to drive the Mild Hybrid Extensively, Maruti should organize these media drive events better in the future so everyone gets to drive all variants. Hope the review of the Mild Hybrid gets added to the same thread when the car is out in the Market.

tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 00:30   #35
BHPian

Is the battery used for the strong hybrid/ full hybrid model SCiB, lithium titanium oxide cell battery? If not, any idea who is the manufacturer of this battery used in strong hybrid model for which 8 years is the warranty period? What are the warranty clauses?
Old 19th September 2022, 02:39   #36
BHPian

Looks like Maruti and Toyota have come full guns blazing into the segment. Given there are established players here already with competent products like creta, seltos, taigun, kushaq and more, i still get a feeling that Vitara will be a runaway hit. A very balanced mix of features + classic suv looks combined with competitive pricing (hopefully between 11- 18 lacs) should ensure that for the first time, Maruti will be able to sell a high end product in Indian market.
Old 19th September 2022, 08:58   #37

Great review as always. While reading I felt Shahi Tharoor is on Team BHP forum. Just note the following line
"purveyors of instant torque, delivered not with an almighty roar that'd raise the dead, but rather a muted whine that'd make the quintessential petrolhead wish he was."
Pran is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Seems to be a great product. I like the looks of the vehicle.

Those who are looking for a performance oriented vehicle will have to look elsewhere. Great to see AWD being given as an option.

I think this will be a hit considering the mileage, sales/ support of Maruti/ Toyota, craze for SUVs. product catering to multiple segments and EV being the future. Price will be the main factor determining the success.

A big short coming is the boot space in the full hybrid version which would not go well as a family car.

I am happy to see the car unlock button on the passenger door. Something I sorely miss in my Creta SXO.

All the best Maruti/ Toyota.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th September 2022 at 09:02.
Old 19th September 2022, 09:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

I forsee there will not be many takers for the All grip version as the typical Maruti buyer is not keen on such things. This will probably go the way of the 5 speed 800, the 1.6 S-cross, the dual jet Baleno etc. But it is good that Maruti is trying to woo customers from other market segments which are looking to have a bit of fun along with the mileage mindset that a typical Maruti customer has. Most off-roaders wanting to buy this will probably wait for the Jimny before making any decision.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 09:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
Yes, I agree, 1.5 NA of Kia Seltos should be compared with 1.5 NA of Grand Vitara/Hyryder. Strong Hybrid is one of a kind premium offering. But, If we compare that way Grand Vitara/Hyryder will be more value than Seltos.

Assuming AWD adds 2L and automatic adds 1.5L - the price of Hyryder neo-drive V AT (top end, mild hybrid petrol AT) should be around 16.5 lakh ex-showroom which should translate to on-road price of around 19.5 lakh so difference is not 5 lakh.
Few incorrect numbers here. We already have the price of Hyryder neodrive V AT, 17.09L ex or 20.26L OTR. If you add the AWD this will stretch to 19.09L ex or 23L OTR, effectively translating to 5 L gap WRT Seltos HTX IVT.

Quote:
The Equivalent Grand Vitara Alpha AT will cost around 40-50,000 lesser than Toyota and should be closer to Kia Seltos (18.21L) costing around 19 lakh, but offers extras like panoramic sunroof, 6 airbags, safer platform (unstable shell in Kia), better automatic (TC vs CVT(iVT)), higher mileage, 360 cam etc. which should close the gap.
Few corrections again, all variants of Seltos get the 6 airbags.
Since the Hyryder V AT Neo drive (2WD) costs 20.26L, assuming a 50K price difference, equivalent GV will cost 19.76L OTR, which is still considerable difference of 1.5L vs the Seltos HTX IVT.

Coming to the features, the GV does get a pano sunroof, higher mileage and 360 cam, but misses out on some features which the Seltos gets such as rear sublinds, LED Fog lamps, interior ambient lighting, drive modes, remote engine start stop using key, reclining rear seats, and a better rear seat for 3 adults. The boot space is also much better in the Kia. Not to forget the performance where the 1.5 mild hybrid is much inferior to the Kia.

Quote:
Grand Vitara Delta/Zeta AT as it offers true automatic with 17 inch wheels and rear disc brakes (yes, Kia cuts down big and offers only 16 inch wheels with rear drum brakes in the highest selling iMT variant).
Correction again, Kia does offer rear disc brakes and 17inch wheels.

Quote:
So buyers of highest selling iMT Seltos have a better option now and will sway towards GV
Like I pointed out, there were many corrections to be done in favor of Kia for your posts. I believe atleast now you might agree the fight is a lot closer and definitely there is no clear winner in both these cars.

Last edited by 07CR : 19th September 2022 at 09:56.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 10:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great review - Maruti seems to have done what it always does. Give us a car that is jack of all and master at FE.

People are used to this mix from Maruti so this will sell provided Maruti prices this like they always do. For people buying Maruti cars, price is also a feature that goes into the decision making! If Maruti goes for optimistic pricing for this car (as they have with Brezza), it will sell but eventually not the numbers MSIL is used to.

If Maruti wants to truly take on the Korean twins, they really have to make sure they build cars that don't allow the reviewer to state - "Minor and avoidable gaffes like this ruin the overall in-cabin experience". There are many of them sprinkled across the review sections.

The Korean twins aren't perfect but they score high on a positive cabin-experience and Maruti is now really a back-bencher. A place that used to be occupied by Tata & Mahindra some years ago. But look at them now - Maruti really has a huge learning curve on this aspect.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:13   #42
BHPian

I know I am ranting but cannot digest this when companies like Maruti does it .

Maruti definitely knows how to fool Indians They are shamelessly fitting same weak 1.5 ltr engine in their considerably bigger(narrower) SUV (?).

And on the other hand, XL6 is any day better than GV mild-hybrid version with more space. This is no match for Creta or Seltos or even Nexon EV !

peace
Old 19th September 2022, 11:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

I like the looks of Grand Vitara more than Urban Cruiser. I have seen this car in person and certainly feels premium from outside, not so much from inside though, despite the car being loaded with features. This car is certainly not for performance- no diesel, missing turbo petrol and even the 1.5L is lackluster. That said, car has USP- Strong Hybrid for FE conscious, Allgrip who like to explore. While powerful engines would have made this good option, Maruti-Toyota are dodging the performance card and going after Fuel Efficiency, features and technology, which is in trend!
Old 19th September 2022, 11:21   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Few incorrect numbers here. We already have the price of Hyryder neodrive V AT, 17.09L ex or 20.26L OTR. If you add the AWD this will stretch to 19.09L ex or 23L OTR, effectively translating to 5 L gap WRT Seltos HTX IVT.
There is no gap of 5 lakh. AWD is not offered along with AT, It is available only with Manual. AWD Manual will cost almost same as AT top end.

Quote:
Few corrections again, all variants of Seltos get the 6 airbags.Since the Hyryder V AT Neo drive (2WD) costs 20.26L, assuming a 50K price difference, equivalent GV will cost 19.76L OTR, which is still considerable difference of 1.5L vs the Seltos HTX IVT.
The IMT gets 6 airbags only in the recent upgrade and the IMT prices have also increased. The price you had quoted is for the older IMT. Till few months back, Seltos IMT did not have rear disc brakes and 6 airbags, I viewed the IMT variant in person in Kia showroom few months ago.

Quote:
The boot space is also much better in the Kia.
Again you are mixing up Strong Hybrid and Mild hybrid. The Bootspace in Mild Hybrid is not bad at all.

Quote:
Not to forget the performance where the 1.5 mild hybrid is much inferior to the Kia.
103 bhp vs 115 bhp, not that much of a difference for 95% of drivers. People buying 1.5 NA of both cars are already aware of lack of performance and 1.5 Mild hybrid is much more efficient than Kia 1.5.

Quote:
Like I pointed out, there were many corrections to be done in favor of Kia for your posts. I believe atleast now you might agree the fight is a lot closer and definitely there is no clear winner in both these cars.
The info I had given was based on the IMT variant I viewed in showroom a few months back. Kia had made these changes only last month and I had already agreed that the Mild Hybrid is the one closer to 1.5 NA of Kia. Comparing the Strong Hybrid to 1.5 Kia and deriving 5 lakh difference was the only gripe I had. Cool.

Quote:
Correction again, Kia does offer rear disc brakes and 17inch wheels.
Correction from my side, Kia still does not offer 17" wheels for the iMT variant. Below is the snapshot from latest brochure, Till HTK+ Kia offers only 16" wheels. That is a fact. I have also attached the latest brochure for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Grand Vitara Review-htk.png  

Maruti Grand Vitara Review-htx.png  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seltos_Brochure_Desktop_New.pdf (7.21 MB, 325 views)
tarmacnaut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:55   #45
BHPian

Thanks for a very comprehensive review. When are the prices expected to be announced? I hope Maruti announces the prices for all the variants, unlike Toyota. IMO Maruti will announce eye catching introductory prices and will bump up the prices significantly starting Jan 2023.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks