Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2024, 09:42   #1381
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

I purchased the car (Toyota Hyryder V) on 20th January 2024 from Ravindu Toyota (MFD 1 Jan 2-024), but the i-Connect has not worked since delivery. I have gone more than 4 times to the service station to try to rectify it and they have not been able to fix it.

It did not work when it was delivered. It started working intermittently (only KMS/location update) after a week of delivery. These two features were working sporadically but were not steady. At the first service, which I went for on 19th February 2024, they blamed it on bad network. I asked them to take me on a drive and show me if it was updating anywhere. They took a long drive and were unable to see any updates on the app and sent me back without resolving the issue.

After a week when the feed back call came, I told them that my i-Connect is not working and I was not satisficed with the service. At this point I was asked to visit the service station again which I did, but they failed again. They said they would open a complaint with the Toyota warranty team and gave me an incident ID 684144 on 28th February 2024. The service center is 22 km from my house one way. Again, in mid March, I was told there was a fix and asked to visit the service station. At this point the i-Connect, which was working sporadically, totally stopped working with the last update (km only) on the app being at 1,401 km on 5th March 2024 at 11:16 am.

I called the i-Connect number to find out the status in the beginning of March and a couple of days later, I was again called and asked to come to the service station in mid-March saying that there is an update. I said I couldn't keep traveling 22 km just on chance that it may be fixed. I said I could go to Nandi Toyota, which was closer at around 5 km. When I reached there, they said they had just been asked to just collect the data from the OBD.

It has been around 4 months since I received the car. The vehicle health report email has inaccurate information since it shows the km of the last reading on the app of 5th March 2023 and since the beginning, none of the features in i-Connect App such as Remote Start Lock Door, Lights Off, Hazard Lights, Climate Control have worked even once.

Now the extended warranty which I had purchased has also disappeared.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th June 2024 at 07:30. Reason: Removing registration no.; Grammar
vipinshetty is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2024, 15:48   #1382
BHPian

After owning the Hyryder G Hybrid variant, I do concur on most of the issues highlighted by bullboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post

1. Sunroof and AC: The sunroof transmits significant heat to the cabin, affecting mileage. During morning runs (7:30 AM - 10:00 AM), the car returned 3-3.5 km/l more than in the afternoon, despite similar traffic conditions. This issue is exacerbated by non-UV cut glass. The AC struggles to regulate cabin temperatures, with rear passengers still feeling heat from above. It's disappointing that neither Suzuki nor Toyota has addressed these concerns.
This is so true and in peak summer when the sun is overhead, the heat is literally felt on the head. It's similar to how one feels while using a black umbrella under harsh sun. The AC is not bad rather the heat entering the cabin is high. You can feel the heat when you hold your hand near the mosquito net.

Quote:

2. NVH: The engine feels unrefined and diesel-like when revved, with intrusive cabin noise. Vibrations are felt on the passenger seats, accelerator, and steering, especially at standstill when switching from EV. Road noise and electric motor noise are also noticeable.
I agree. The car gets noisy when revved and there is more frustration as the car does not pace up while the engine whines like an old horse. I can relate this to the old RE that I used to own. I had used diesel engines before (1.6 TDI) and it's more crude than it (say equal to the 3 pot 1.2 TDI)

Quote:
3. Ride: Despite minimal suspension thuds, the ride is stiff, and road imperfections are felt in the cabin. I haven't driven at high speeds, so I can't comment on speeds above 80 km/h.
The suspension is good for the city if you compare competition like Creta/Seltos. However, on the highway lanes with speeds beyond 3 digits it is a bit unsettled at high speed banked corners. You won't feel the confidence to push. It behaves like a Fortuner at bends.

Quote:
4. Seats: The under-thigh support is lacking, causing discomfort during long drives. I've experienced back pain during drives of over an hour and now rely on support pillows. The rear seats are too upright, even in the second position, and lack proper support. The cushioning on the seats is slightly on the softer side.
It depends on the build of the person, but overall for the price better seats are expected.

Quote:
6. Parking Sensors: Lack of front parking sensors in a car of this price range is surprising.
The visibility at the front left corner is poor as the car is kind of bulbous so to speak. It needs one also considering the long bonnet.

Quote:
8. A-Pillar Blind Spot: A significant concern, especially when combined with door visor, a big problem at night. This could have been mitigated with front parking sensors and blind spot monitoring.
This is similar to a Jazz.

Quote:
9. Comfort: Rear seat access is challenging for elderly, and overall comfort is only okish.
Adding to this the rear seats are stiff, maybe a different foam to save some space to accommodate the battery. And a major let down is the rear headrest which can't be pulled down fully as it nudges onto the mid neck which is uncomfortable and it has to be always set up, which block the rear visibility.

Quote:
12. Ambient Lighting: Poor visibility and fixed colors limit its usefulness.
Reminds me more of the Swift. They could have gone with any other colour than the dreadful orange.

Quote:
13. Creaking/Noises: Due to the aforementioned quality issues, there are creaking noises from the front dash and the rear tray that extends the battery floor, especially on bad roads.
Had this issue of creaks coming around the mid-console area. This is addressed after my complaint about it with a insulation kit that is silently provided by Toyota to customers who complaint for free of cost.

Quote:
14. Headlights: The headlight is weak, and the throw in low beam is not good. It's also too close to the car and not adequate in the rain. As I understand, it cannot be upgraded either. Fog lamps are sorely missed.
Every headlight is poor nowadays, so it's a bane for us Indians altogether.

Quote:
17. Music System: The system is basic, even in the top model, and falls short compared to what competitors offer. I would describe it as marginally better than the system in my Ignis.
The music system is bare basic for the price and it gets boomy if you enable speed-dependent volume ON. The door pad vibrates if you keep a water bottle in the storage area adding to the embarrassment.

Quote:
18. Voice Command: Limited functionality and unintended activation are frustrating.Missed turns in the map when it activated by its own.
Never used this thanks to Siri.

Quote:
20. Horns: The horn is a standard fitment found in all Suzuki cars, such as the Swift and Baleno, etc. The dealer provides an option for a Windtone upgrade priced at Rs. 2950.
I still find the horns decent enough for an OEM one.

Quote:
21. Driver Door Issue: The driver's door does not close on the first attempt, attributed to air pressure. However, my concern arises from why this issue is exclusive to the driver's door and not the others. The door's construction feels notably light.
The door closing is still an issue. Maybe this is a design flaw where trapped air is not vented out.

Quote:
22. Dub Dub Noise from the Brake Lever: When switching between the accelerator and brake pedals, the lever hits the limiter and produces a sound. Upon observation, it appears there is no rubber or damper bush in the connector of the brake booster and lever.
There is also a noise when you suddenly take your legs off the brake. A thud that is found in cheaper cars of Suzuki stable.

And the mileage figures are not so great if you drive it like a regular driver (no grandma hypermiling please) I get around 14.6 KMPL in city and 20.5 KMPL on highways.

The car is true to TBHP review a 'good attempt' on mass market hybrid just not the best.

Last edited by Ajay_the_Don : 12th May 2024 at 15:51. Reason: Typos
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 10:19   #1383

Has there been any recalls for the Hyryder for the left side engine mount replacement?

I've come across a couple of posts in Team-Bhp Grand Vitara forum where customers got the recall and note a significant improvement in NVH post the replacement.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5760686 (Maruti Grand Vitara Review).

Last edited by Er_Who : 14th May 2024 at 10:45.
Er_Who is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2024, 11:15   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinshetty View Post
I Purchased the car on Toyota Hyryder V on 20 Jan 2024 at Ravindru Toyota (MFD 1 Jan 2-024), But the I connect has not worked since delivery and I have gone over 4 times to the service station to try to rectify it and they have not been able to fix it.
The issue should have been resolved much sooner. Please try raising the issue on this email voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in, usually you receive a quick response.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th May 2024 at 16:35. Reason: Quoted post edited
outlandish77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 12:55   #1385

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave547 View Post

The good and the bad..which quickly turned to ugly.

Had a beautiful short road trip in and around Pawana Lake and my Hyr performed quite well including about 15 kms of a horrible stretch of road.
Hi,

I recently got delivery of my Hyryder S Hybrid (Black) on 10th May 2024 and been driving for past 3 days. I need someone to guide me on some observations:

a) Though I have so far got a decent average of 23kmpl, I observed that the engine cuts off at 2 bar charging of battery. Do other vehicles charge for full 4 bars & cut off? Also engine starts the minute I push in the accelerator. To me it appears that engine is doing more work & less left to the battery, which may affect the milage.

b) Is the S Hybrid performance at par with G & V versions as far as operations of the engine, cut off etc is concerned? Will the milage be at par with G & V versions?

c) I am missing auto lights & auto lighting of cabin light on switch-off or door opening (was available in my Honda City V). Can this be upgraded by 3rd party devices?

d) In parked condition, the engine switch on is quite noticeable & loud? Sounded like a compressor turning on.

e) Can the Toyota connect be upgraded to higher version?

I decided to buy G variant since I did not like the sun roof cover, which could bring more heat in cabin during summers.

I am happy with my purchase, hope someone reverts on some of the above points.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th May 2024 at 13:25. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability. Thanks!
Bolkam24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 14:29   #1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolkam24 View Post
a) Though I have so far got a decent average of 23kmpl, I observed that the engine cuts off at 2 bar charging of battery. Do other vehicles charge for full 4 bars & cut off? Also engine starts the minute I push in the accelerator. To me it appears that engine is doing more work & less left to the battery, which may affect the milage.
Engine cut off at 2-bars charge is standard for all variants as far as I'm aware. Try fiddling with your AC temp. That has a huge effect on mileage.

Quote:
b) Is the S Hybrid performance at par with G & V versions as far as operations of the engine, cut off etc is concerned? Will the milage be at par with G & V versions?
The engine and performance are identical in all Hybrid variants. I would realistically expect slightly higher mileage for S variant since the AC doesn't have to work as hard to cool the cabin (No mosquito net)

Quote:
c) I am missing auto lights & auto lighting of cabin light on switch-off or door opening (was available in my Honda City V). Can this be upgraded by 3rd party devices?
I think there is a setting within the infotainment screen or the Instrument cluster where you turn the lights ON/OFF with door unlock/lock. Will check and revert.

Quote:
d) In parked condition, the engine switch on is quite noticeable & loud? Sounded like a compressor turning on.
I would compare it to a tractor at times. There are reports that this could be due to one of the engine mounts and Suzuki is replacing one of the engine mounts address this. Haven't heard anything on this from Toyota yet.

Quote:
e) Can the Toyota connect be upgraded to higher version?
Alas, I don't think so. I was a bit surprised as to why the S mild hybrid variant has connected tech but not the Hybrid Variant. Cost cutting I guess.
Er_Who is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 15:17   #1387

Thank you for reply. Most points clarified.

- I keep the AC temp at 23 C. I tried 24 C, but not comfortable in summer.
- Cabin light: I saw in showroom for G & V variant, there is a toggle switch on the cabin light moulding, and for S variant it just has the light & no provision for switch. So cost cutting for lower grade S variant.
Old 20th May 2024, 18:22   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmachine View Post
While this is not a big deal, no customer wants to deal with this after spending 20L on a car.
Pathetic cost cutting by Toyota. No customer wants to see this shocking apathy. The only way to make them listen is to pause buying the car until Toyota fixes such quality issues. Otherwise they will always have the last laugh and the customer is fooled over and over again.
SithDefender is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:04   #1389
BHPian

Yesterday, while I was on the way to Airport, I saw a silver Hyryder(white board) near a signal where youtube video was being played on the infotainment system. As soon as signal turned green, the vehicle started inching forward and immediately, the screen changed to 360 degree camera and was showing all the angles. After few metres, youtube came back.
I am curious to know how is this possible? The ICE looked very much like a factory fitment. If youtube is supported, we are not far from using Amazon Prime and Netflix as well
Old 24th May 2024, 15:43   #1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er_Who View Post
Engine cut off at 2-bars charge is standard for all variants as far as I'm aware. Try fiddling with your AC temp. That has a huge effect on mileage.
Anyone in this forum check calibration of the Odometer in GV/Hyryder? My earlier car was Honda City Automatic Petrol. From my home to my Mira Road factory is 25kms as per google maps, and the Honda Odometer showed perfect 25kms. In my new Hyryder S Hybrid, the reading shows 28kms. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 24th May 2024, 18:12   #1391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone in this forum check calibration of the Odometer in GV/Hyryder? My earlier car was Honda City Automatic Petrol. From my home to my Mira Road factory is 25kms as per google maps, and the Honda Odometer showed perfect 25kms. In my new Hyryder S Hybrid, the reading shows 28kms. Any thoughts or comments?
Played with factory tire specs on any of these cars? Just a thought.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:54   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Just the normal shenigans to give you an increased kmpl figure. Everyone does it. Degrees might vary. Might seem very minor but over larger distances, these increased numbers give you a feel good factor. New age Tatas odos are over read by almost 15%.
coldice4u is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 17:44   #1393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er_Who View Post
Has there been any recalls for the Hyryder for the left side engine mount replacement?

I've come across a couple of posts in Team-Bhp Grand Vitara forum where customers got the recall and note a significant improvement in NVH post the replacement.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5760686 (Maruti Grand Vitara Review).
Two days ago, I received a call from the Nippon Toyota Service Team regarding this recall. I have booked an appointment on coming Saturday. We'll see how it goes.
Arj322 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 18:04   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Yesterday, while I was on the way to Airport, I saw a silver Hyryder(white board) near a signal where Youtube video was being played on the infotainment system. As soon as signal turned green, the vehicle started inching forward and immediately, the screen changed to 360 degree camera and was showing all the angles. After few metres, Youtube came back.
I am curious to know how is this possible? The ICE looked very much like a factory fitment. If Youtube is supported, we are not far from using Amazon Prime and Netflix as well
This is not possible in the factory fitted screen, it must have been an aftermarket screen. Anyways having YouTube or any other video playing while driving is extremely dangerous.
aks812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 18:06   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arj322 View Post
Two days ago, I received a call from the Nippon Toyota Service Team regarding this recall. I have booked an appointment on coming Saturday. We'll see how it goes.
What is your car's manufacturing month? Also can you check in your iconnect app if any official recall is showing in it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks