Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:14   #1216
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks812 View Post
There is no special tuning done by either of the companies in any car, they are same except the exterior.
Do you currently drive the Neodrive variant or have tested both during the course of your buying process?
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:33   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Do you currently drive the Neodrive variant or have tested both during the course of your buying process?
Yes, i own hybrid Hyryder and test drove GV mild hybrid and neo drive before. They are made at the same plant, same line.
Old 4th October 2023, 18:38   #1218
BHPian

There are two more bugs I wanted to share.
1. After receiving a call via Android Auto, the music player stops playing(song will be running in background with no sound) and the workaround for this is to open the radio and switch back to Android Auto.

2. Check the screenshot.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot_20231004182714325_in.co.tkm.toyotaconnect2.jpg

I think we get the Unlock door option only when we lock the doors using the application. If the doors are already locked and you tap the lock doors button it doesn't do anything. Ideally, the application should change the option to "unlock door" after it mentions the doors are locked.
shikh_oberoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 14:43   #1219

Re: 2023 Toyota Hyryder S Hybrid: Initial Ownership Review edit (20,000km)

2023 Toyota Hyryder S Hybrid: 20,000km update

Hello everyone, this is my second update of this vehicle after using over 8 months.

Current ODO reading: 19600 km
Average Mileage: 24kmpl
Issues: Slight rattling noises from window side which you can expect from a car with such flimsy door panels. Otherwise , it has been a very good experience.

Service History: -
1. 13/01/2023- 997 km (Free Service)
2. 21/02/2023- 5056 km (Free Service)
3. 20/04/2023- 9737 km (Rs. 3,136)
4. 19/09/2023- 19300 km (Rs. 5,233)

PS: - Please don’t forget to collect your Hybrid Battery Health Report after every service. It may be helpful in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-reading.jpg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-sunblind.jpg  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_5714.jpg  

KurianMathoor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 20:32   #1220
RRU
BHPian

Dear BHPians - I need guidance and steer from you in finalizing one car from the below list:

1) Hyryder Hybrid S
2) NeoDrive AT S or G
3) Honda Elevate CVT VX

My requirement: An automatic SUV with good GC, fuel economy and reliability. Don't want to look beyond Toyota, Suzuki (Maruti) and Honda and in that order. Panoramic sunroof is an absolute no for me and my family. For reference, my usage is 80% city and 20% highways. I currently own an Etios petrol 2013 - serving pretty well without any fuss, but due to my back problem (had a slip disk kind of event in May '23), I experienced radiating pain in my left leg - gone now. Hence, the need for an AT machine that sits a little high for easy ingress and egress.

I have test driven all three a few times and appreciate the USP of each, but none turned out to the one that's just "wow" to freeze on. So, kind of in a fix which one to pick although Elevate will always be the last in my list (more as a fallback). Each has its own merits and demerits - don't want to elaborate.

1) I like the Hybrid for the peppy engine and eCVT in city driving plus the mileage it ekes out. Don't like the 3-cylinder engine's noise when pushed or rushed on open roads. With three price hikes since launch (15.11L + 50K+60K+25K), the value proposition seems gone. My annual run is 10k-12k. Price difference between Hybrid S and NeoDrive AT S is 3.25L OTR - not sure if fuel economy advantage will be enough to payback within the ownership period of say 8-10 years.

2) The NeoDrive is a very silent and reliable machine that gives decent mileage and power for a regular driver but runs out of gas on highways with car loaded. The AT avatar is quite slow in response in stop and go traffic.

3) The Honda Elevate is good at most of things but lacks anything distinctive. The CVT is fine in city driving but makes a lot of noise at high speed or when pushed. Well, i have not owned a city, but have driven extensively as we have one in our family. This Elevate does not give that feeling. Also, mileage in Elevate is not very encouraging in city driving. Further, as a 6-footer, i found the driving seat travel and under thigh support underwhelming.

PS: There is 1 Hybrid Silver (i prefer White or Grey) S variant readily available in Bangalore, while NeoDrive and Elevate can be delivered in 2-3 months according to dealers.
RRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 21:34   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianMathoor View Post

PS: - Please don’t forget to collect your Hybrid Battery Health Report after every service. It may be helpful in the future.
When I got my service done at 10000 kms, hybrid battery wasn't even touched. Although my service experience was good but even I felt Toyota should have mandated some tests for health hybrid battery, but there was none.

Was the service attended by you? It would be great if you can provide details of the tests your service center did on the hybrid battery. Also if you can provide screenshot of your "Hybrid battery health"

Thanks
drsachin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 22:03   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRU View Post
Dear BHPians - I need guidance and steer from you in finalizing one car from the below list:

1) Hyryder Hybrid S
2) NeoDrive AT S or G
3) Honda Elevate CVT VX
With the kind of traffic that you have in Bangalore which is not going to change anytime soon. I am sure Hybrid would be the best you can buy. And you are lucky if you are getting ready delivery of S Variant. In Delhi NCR the delivery timelines of S- Hybrid variant are insane.

I own Hyryder V-Hybrid and pretty happy with it. My driving requirements are pretty similar although I drive almost 15-18k kms every year but even if it had been 10-12k i would still have brought the same.

Reasons.
1. In bumper to bumper traffic conditions the difference in mileage could be easily 1:3 or even more.
2. I always feel guilty when I don't switch off engine in traffic Jams/Red lights which are more than 30 seconds just to keep AC running. But with hybrid car no such issue. In hybrid the engine is off automatically most of the time at traffic lights , as the AC is supplied by hybrid battery. So you keep AC running and saving fuel too.
3. NVH levels are actually zero almost 50-60% of times when on EV mode and at City speeds it's only on highway at speeds more than 100kms/hr that you notice NVH. Infact with 5th generation DOHC city engine that is used in elevate sounds worse on highway speeds.
4. Hybrid automatic is one of the best gearbox which you enjoy in city traffic. It's not Jerky like DCT. There is no rubber band effect as seen in a conventional CVT. There is no drop in power output or efficiency as seen in a Torque converter infact there is power boost thanks to electric boost from the battery.
5. Toyota service is the best available for the segment across all manufacturers
I took test drives of almost all automatic cars for almost a year in the price bracket of 10lakh to 20lakh before finalizing Hyryder. Only Honda city hybrid appeared better but it's suspension and steering was no match for Hyryder.

Yes on a highway if you routinely drive more than 100kms/hour you may choose Seltos/creta or even elevate.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 07:04. Reason: Quote tag fixed
drsachin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 22:27   #1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
When I got my service done at 10000 kms, hybrid battery wasn't even touched. Although my service experience was good but even I felt Toyota should have mandated some tests for health hybrid battery, but there was none.

Was the service attended by you? It would be great if you can provide details of the tests your service center did on the hybrid battery. Also if you can provide screenshot of your "Hybrid battery health"

Thanks
But I'm not sure about the tests the service centre has checked upon.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-hybridbatteryhealth.jpg  

KurianMathoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 21:06   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRU View Post
Dear BHPians - I need guidance and steer from you in finalizing one car from the below list
Given your requirements of driving 80% city and 20% highways, good GC, fuel economy and reliability, the Hyryder checks all those boxes. And it's readily available too which is very rare!

Yeah, it's not a "fun" car to drive in the city on Eco or Normal mode but the Power mode makes up for it on the highway. I usually stick to Eco mode only when I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic otherwise its on Power mode all day and with 90% in the city, I've been getting a mileage of 25.
Cruzn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 19:40   #1225
RRU
BHPian

Thanks much @drsachin and @Cruzn - I could not agree more with you and inputs from you decisively led me to visit Toyota dealer today, book Strong Hybrid S - expected delivery is between 16-20 October 2023. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had options (color) to choose from - Silver, Grey and White, with the first two readily available. Other dealers I contacted in Bangalore and some other cities I can manage to get the car from gave waiting period ranging from 6 to 26 months. After some back and forth between us (me, wife and son) and a few calls with family members, we moved from Grey to Sliver to White to Grey to finally White.

Requesting Hybrid S owners to recommend essential accessories I can consider...TIA.

----
Also - if anyone looking for Hyryder S variant in Bangalore then please DM me - i will connect you to the concerned TL of the dealer.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th October 2023 at 21:13. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
RRU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 23:29   #1226
BHPian

The good and the bad..which quickly turned to ugly.

Had a beautiful short road trip in and around Pawana Lake and my Hyr performed quite well including about 15 kms of a horrible stretch of road.

Daytime drive in Eco Mode with AC at 21 C ( outside temperature 34 C ) gave a decent average of 25.

But the real icing was on the way back evening hours AC at 24C and eco mode the trip history showed a whopping 33 ( non stop trip for about 120 kms ).

But once back from the trip life has spiralled from the bad to the ugly. The touch screens just keeps selecting random menus, Google maps also keeps re centring, and the latest now the audio volume keeps adjusting randomly.

My vehicle is only 8 months old with 2k on the odometer.

The tech gizmos make life easy BUT too dependable, even when I turn off the screen it pops on by itself.

So effectively my car is useless till the touch screen is fixed or replaced under warranty.

Has anyone faced issues with the touch screen?
mave547 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 12:22   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave547 View Post

But once back from the trip life has spiralled from the bad to the ugly. The touch screens just keeps selecting random menus, Google maps also keeps re centring, and the latest now the audio volume keeps adjusting randomly.

My vehicle is only 8 months old with 2k on the odometer.

The tech gizmos make life easy BUT too dependable, even when I turn off the screen it pops on by itself.

So effectively my car is useless till the touch screen is fixed or replaced under warranty.

Has anyone faced issues with the touch screen?
Did you try factory reset of the system? That should solve your problem, if not then it would be hardware issue.
aks812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 22:08   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks812 View Post
Did you try factory reset of the system? That should solve your problem
Done and dusted no such luck, a visit tomorrow first thing in the morning to Lakozy Toyota is imminent to get my drive life back.
Old 9th October 2023, 17:47   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave547 View Post
The good and the bad..which quickly turned to ugly.
No such issues faced yet. And I hope your issue gets sorted without any hassle.

I would like to point out one thing though. The hybrid tech of engine, electric motor and battery working in unison is something the car is all about and it seem to be performing at its best.

On the other hand the head unit has run into some problem which will be either replaced or repaired under warranty.

Now there is no excuse for any part of the car malfunctioning. But if you think of it the Head unit is something which sits at very bottom in terms of critical systems of a car.

Will something like this ruins the experience? Absolutely YES
But is it something which hampers the cars drivability capabilities? Don't think so..

So, do not worry
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 18:33   #1230
BHPian

Unfortunately it does hamper the drivers capabilities when you have a 5 year old in the backseat, screaming away at Google to play Dua Lipa Dance The Night without any result.

But thanks for the supportive post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks