Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2022, 18:41   #391
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Took a short test drive today of strong hybrid v varient. After 90km/hr, the car struggles to move to 100/110 in eco mode. Couldn't drive in other modes as SA didn't know how to change the same and I didn't bother until the test drive was done.

As others mentioned, the interiors are a major letdown. It feels cheap coming from a VW ameo and even a hyundai grand i10 (2016). The plastic quality are nothing major and the soft touch leather is an after thought.

I'm not sure if the interiors are upto mark for a 22L OTR car for the top varient. I'm afraid it would be like a maruti where in a year the cabin starts squeaking

Any advice on the same would be appreciated. Would it be sound to go ahead with the v variant delivery.
aadiaksh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 02:43   #392
BHPian

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and was hoping I could get some words of wisdom from the group.

I currently own a 2019 Ecosport. It is a Petrol AT and due to the lockdown, I've driven it for less than 9000 kms so far. However, with schools reopening and getting back to office, I drive about 40 kms on a daily basis now and get a mileage of 9km/l with only city driving (often during peak times in slow moving traffic). I hardly make trips out of town but that is something I am thinking about doing in the near future although I would still be driving 98% of the time in the city.

With Ford out of India, I was looking to sell my car before the value depreciates even further (Spinny was offering 10.5L & OLX at 10.2L the last time I checked 2 months ago). I am considering the Hyryder (G variant) mainly due to the FE as I'm not too optimistic on the fuel prices going lower than what it currently is. Infact I wouldn't be surprised we touch Rs. 150/l in 2023.

Do you think an upgrade to the hybrid would be smart or should I stick to the Ecosport for another couple of years?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th October 2022, 07:28   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post

Do you think an upgrade to the hybrid would be smart or should I stick to the Ecosport for another couple of years?

Thanks in advance!
With your current usage, the hyryder might make sense. But have you thought about future usage as well ? ( Read 5 - 10 years down the line ).

Even though the power train is very efficient, the hyryder has a few fundamental problems.
  1. Since the hybrid battery is positioned at the wrong place, the practicality of the boot is severely compromised.
  2. 3 cylinder engine means it's not going to be a refined driving experience on the highway. In the city, you might not feel it much though since electric motor helps for bulk of the typical city use case.
  3. Rear head room is poor thanks to that afterthought sunroof design.
  4. Rear seat recline angle is not great. Again, more relevant for highways. But not sure if it's important for you in the long run.

In addition, I remember someone complaining about left knee of the driver irritatingly rubbing against the plastic. I wouldn't compromise on ergonomics for a primary car. I will also add the fact that it's only a 5 seater ( more of a 4 seater ). Will that be a factor for you in the next 10 years of ownership?
amalji is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 11:21   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your Ecosport is just 3 years old. Im assuming its the 1.5 3cyl with TC AT. If its the DCT then sell it, if not keep it for a couple of years. You will not lose resale much in another couple of years for it is a popular model. By 2025-26 there will be more options to choose from and we will know if strong hybrids are worth it or not and whether to go fully electric or not. Now is a confusing time to buy a primary car in this segment.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 11:57   #395
BHPian

Quote:
You have the liberty to wait for a year or two with the ecosport in your service. Car is a depreciating asset, so you will incur depreciation on both the ecosport or the newly purchased Hybrid. And the amont of loss might be same considering that you are investing more on the Hybrid. In the meantime a lot many choices are likely to be available. A Honda CSUV with hybrid is on the cards (If honda can survive in India for this period !). If you have charging infrastructure at home, you can keep an watch on the upcoming electric cars. It is better to keep the ecosport for a year or twi as it is in mint condition and would require minimum maintainance.
d-g-p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:27   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Given your daily running of 40km, which can translate to 15k kms a year, and escalating fuel prices, the Hyryder offers a good alternative. Your Ecosport has not depreciated much yet, and the bulk of the depreciation is yet to come. Totota cars have a tendency to appreciate in value or at least hold their pricing ground, especially considering the long warranty period offered. By investing another 10 lakhs plus the resale value of your Ecosport, you could have a nicely equipped G variant of the strong hybrid Hyryder in your garage shortly. The fuel cost savings given your city commute will easily be Rs. 75000 a year considering your running, assuming your Ecosport yields 10 kpl and the hybrid will yield 20kpl. If you were to deposit the money (10 lakhs) in a bank, you will earn less than this as interest. So it is a cost neutral proposition and you at least get to enjoy the additional features, the prestige of driving a higher segment car and also probably arrest the depreciation loss to a large extent..
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:55   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

I liked the fact that unlike Maruti Suzuki, Toyota hasn’t given the HyRyder Smart Hybrid and Hybrid badges which can become confusing to judge the powertrain.

Toyota has given it NeoDrive and Hybrid just the way it should be.

NeoDrive V AT Urban Cruiser HyRyder in flesh

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-c3d6dd69b4ab4a438e1bf11d90a38e7b.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-31401d1f42dc4ea882459f8ca073508c.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-935e814cb9914bb1a943492d73713ec1.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-e4f2b0c9ef30432ba549c6ddcc7466f7.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-5ad7d62bb62348cbbba06d17d611ae3d.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-fdf9f01593824be589a0d5d982eda637.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-5ff135560e8f4841a9be3447cf5cabc1.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-d1ff657345ae4c8880818a02cc0f761a.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-b8b9ad6f69304a589d2740fed6c66815.jpeg

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-e092d5196fe14cbdafff890072fd2985.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:58   #398
BHPian

Thank you Sir for your comments!
Quote:
Since the hybrid battery is positioned at the wrong place, the practicality of the boot is severely compromised.
Considering I have been able to manage with the Ecosport boot for so long, I'm assuming I should be fine with this. Although, there may times a few bags would be kept in the back seat.
Quote:
Rear head room is poor thanks to that afterthought sunroof design.
We are a family of 4 and with the kids (both less than 10 years old) sitting at the back, it will be a while before their heads get there. Though, I didn't quite like the headroom in the front either. I prefer to be seated a little higher than usual and I bumped my head while getting in and out of the display vehicle.
Quote:
In addition, I remember someone complaining about left knee of the driver irritatingly rubbing against the plastic. I wouldn't compromise on ergonomics for a primary car.
Didn't notice this. Will check it out again when I go for a test drive.

On another note, would anyone be able to comment on how the spare wheel is removed?
Old 5th October 2022, 20:59   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyryder on road price list in Chennai. As expected the dealers are trying to load on expensive insurance and unnecessary accessories!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Urban Cruiser Hyryder- price list wef 28.09.2022 (1).pdf (141.9 KB, 526 views)
Old 5th October 2022, 22:17   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir for your comments!
On another note, would anyone be able to comment on how the spare wheel is removed?
Additionally whoever is answering this question, please also talk about how it is to be put back, i.e. how to ensure it is fixed properly at the bottom.. I have always thought it is ok to lift the wheel and put it inside the boot, but in the strong hybrid since it is below the car, I am finding it hard to imagine how to fix it back. Can one person do it comfortably?
Old 5th October 2022, 23:17   #401
SDx
BHPian

Quote:
Below is what Vid6639 told after the initial media drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Additionally whoever is answering this question, please also talk about how it is to be put back
Not sure if it helps, I have never changed a tyre on Innova or Fortuner.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot_20221005230711.png  

SDx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 23:54   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Additionally whoever is answering this question, please also talk about how it is to be put back, i.e. how to ensure it is fixed properly at the bottom.. I have always thought it is ok to lift the wheel and put it inside the boot, but in the strong hybrid since it is below the car, I am finding it hard to imagine how to fix it back. Can one person do it comfortably?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDx View Post
Below is what Vid6639 told after the initial media drive.

Not sure if it helps, I have never changed a tyre on Innova or Fortuner.
Innova and Fortuner has a chain & pulley mechanism to lower and hoist the spare wheel and keep it locked. Its lowered and pulled back up using the jack rod inserted horizontally into the slot in the bumper after opening the boot hatch.

Hyryrder, Grand Vitara has XL6/Ertiga type spare wheel cage carrier which drops down when loosening a bolt in the boot floor which loosens the J hook holding the cage. The cage will not fully drop down, and for that the "J" hook needs to be moved out of the way and cage lowered (and raised) by hands.

Having operated both types I find the chain and pulley type easier to work with especially while lifting the wheel back up. The cage carrier type is cumbersome with larger wheels.

Last edited by Sankar : 6th October 2022 at 00:04.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:21   #403
BHPian

Hello team,
Myself and my wife also had a look at the Hyryder yesterday. We liked the looks of the vehicle. Could not get a Test drive though.

Our observations:
1. Car looks very good with clean lines.
2. Front Seats in our view was not broad and comfortable. We also tested Creta & Ertiga and found them to be better than this.
3. Rear seats do not have recline function and quite upright. Not sure if it will be comfortable for long rides.
4. Head room is not great at the rear for 6 footers.
5. It can accomodate 4 adults at ease. 5 is a squeeze.
vijuk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:26   #404
BHPian

I understand Hyryder deliveries are commenced in NCR and Haryana. I saw one YouTube video, where one dealer handed over 36 Hyryders in one day (4th Oct).

Any news related to deliveries in Mumbai?

As per my SA, test drive vehicles are received by Mumbai dealers and are under RTO registration. Deliveries will start only by mid-october.
Old 6th October 2022, 18:29   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
Any news related to deliveries in Mumbai?

As per my SA, test drive vehicles are received by Mumbai dealers and are under RTO registration. Deliveries will start only by mid-october.
I did a test drive at Millenium Toyota, Thane on Monday. No set delivery dates yet, but he is expecting to get deliveries before Diwali.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks