Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2023, 13:26   #1126
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Hi TBhp, this is my first ownership review of Tucson Diesel 2WD Signature AT.

I completed my first (10K) service in August 2023 (car purchased on Feb 24th, 2023).

Let me start with the rants first or rather I would say unpleasant surprises.

1. Failure of EGR actuator - In the month of July, one fine day in the morning, when I was driving, suddenly I experienced the RPM/rev counter not working normally. The RPM won't climb above a certain number (IIRC, rpm won't go beyond 1.8K/2K). However, there was no problem with the speed of the car. I reached home with not so much of a fuss. The next day when I drove the car, the issue somehow vanished and it was all normal. In the evening again the issue occurs. Somehow this was happening on and off. On the third day, when I was driving to the SC, finally I got the engine malfunction display warning. The SC took a good 2-3 days (they said they go screening one-by-one as per the SOP) to identify the issue (when they replaced the actuator of my car with that of the demo car for testing). Finally, the replacement part was ordered and fixed under warranty.

Looks like the new Tucson uses a fully electronically controlled EGR actuator which is similar to the Santa Fe that was sold in India. Even the previous generation Tucson was using a mechanically controlled actuator.

Hyundai India (R&D) is now analysing the issue which I think is a fantastic move. This entire episode was handled well by the SC as well as Hyundai. I am satisfied with this. Appreciation to the SC (Kun Hyundai) as well as Hyundai.

2. Rear left suspension issue - In my earlier post, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5520987 (2022 Hyundai Tucson Review), I did mention the noise from the rear left side and how I fixed it. However, my diagnosis was wrong and it did not fix the noise. In fact, the noise got louder when the car was fully loaded (with 5 people or with luggage). Again the SC was brought into picture. The SC identified the culprit which was the suspension spring and it was dislodged and misaligned slightly. This usually can happen in off-road vehicles as the spring/suspension movement/articulation is high. However, for Tucson this is cannot/should not happen. Again Hyundai is analysing the issue.

Again a fuss free experience with both the SC and Hyundai.

Over all, these 2 issues are absolutely unpleasant that I was slightly unhappy with the product. However, I should also point out that the SC support and experience was really good enough to just ignore these issues and live to drive. No car is perfect, no brand is perfect, but the experience when something goes wrong is what matters the most. And kudos to Hyundai for that.

Well, here is my overall product and ownership experience in the last 6 months/10K kms and completing the first service.

Must improve in

1. Headlights – It is not bad but it is not good enough either. The throw is very good. But the brightness/intensity is insufficient. The intensity needs an improvement even in the normal conditions, let alone rainy/foggy conditions. Hyundai should fix this. XUV700 probably uses a similar technology, but lights up the road good enough with no complaints.

I am already looking for an upgrade. While there are good enough aftermarket upgrade available, it is not a simple plug and play replacement since the bulb set-up cannot be removed separately in Tucson. So I am still waiting for the right solution and upgrade.

2. Audio system – The Bose set-up is absolutely mediocre and worthless IMO. For such an expensive car, the sound system should have been much better. For comparison, the sound system in Hector and Harrier are way better where both the cars cost about 50% of Tucson. Apparently, Seltos, Creta, Verna also come with the same sound system.

Very good in

1. Refinement – Many of my friends even asked whether is it a petrol or diesel. Hyundai diesels are known for refinement and it shows. The noise insulation is good enough and lets you cocooned from the word outside. I am sure the petrol Tucson will be even more quieter.
2. Ride – Tucson suspension is on the softer side compared to say a Tiguan (stiffest so far) and Harrier/Compass. This translates to a plush ride at all speeds and absolutely pampers you in all ways. My wife says that she immediately feels drowsy during long drives especially when she is at the back. This also translates to soft handling compared to a Compass/Tiguan. Tucson is not a corner craver like Compass/Tiguan. The highway flyover joints will be felt and makes the drive unsettled when driven aggressively. Of course it is much better than a Hector/Gloster or even the previous generation Tucson. Please note that I did not TD the C5 (I never liked that car from day 1 itself) as it is known for its ride comfort.
3. Space – Enough space for all 5 and luggage.
4. Power and performance – Always available more than enough. It can easily keep you in triple digit speeds all day. And overtaking is a breeze.
5. Quality – This is like no other Hyundai in India (except I5). The quality, build, fit and finish are top notch for the price. In fact, it competes with the luxury segment in all these aspects.

Could have been better in

1. Practicality – Storage could have been slightly better (I comparing this with a Harrier)
2. Interior colour choice – At least Hyundai should give us an option of a dark colour may be at a slight premium of 10-20K.
3. Hyundai should update the ADAS feature to permanently keep the emergency braking switched off/warning only when selected appropriately. It is definitely a hassle to switch off every time when we start the engine. The new Seltos already comes with this update. Just a software update will do.
4. There is a slight turbo lag at slow speeds. Especially when kicking down during overtaking inside city limits. Of course, since this is a soft handler and TC transmission, it exceeds its expectations with its inherent character.
5. Rear sun-blinds could have been good to have.

Other observations to note

1. Tucson is a true example of a crossover. It neither sits low or high. In fact, Tucson is more closer to a sedan than a SUV in terms of driving style and behaviour. Harrier, Compass, Tiguan are more SUVish than Tucson, especially on uneven roads.
2. The Trip meter resets every time when there is an engine stop – start. However, in order to get the full trip data during long journeys, the accumulated info can be reset which can give the full trip details (like Trip A/B in other cars).
3. In other countries, the switches of the ventilated & heated seats are placed in front of the gear lever which I think is ergonomically better placed than how it is placed in India. Occasionally, I hit the heated/ventilated switches.
4. During the first service, the SC by default only uses a semi-synthetic oil (which is as per the Hyundai standards). However, I was very specific to use fully synthetic oil (which is again as per Hyundai standards). It costed me an extra of around 8K for the Servo fully synthetic oil. Generally, SCs don't use Shell as it is slightly more expensive than Servo. As long as it is within Hyundai standards, you can use both.

Overall, Tucson is an all-rounder which can even face-off cars that are 2-3 times more expensive. And my experience so far with Hyundai (including my previous ownership) and the SC (Kun Hyundai) has been good. Tucson WILL and MUST be a strong contender based on what one is looking for in this segment/budget.

I don’t know if I have covered everything here, but this is just a gist of my experience with Tucson. I am more than happy to clarify anything else if I have missed out.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 14th September 2023 at 13:40.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 13:44   #1127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Hi TBhp, this is my first ownership review of Tucson Diesel 2WD Signature AT.
I completed my first (10K) service in August 2023 (car purchased on Feb 24th, 2023).
Hey, thank you for sharing the experience. I own a Tucson 4WD Diesel AT, and I echo your thoughts. It's an amazing car, and my family loves driving in it.

Regarding your first (10k) service, can you share a couple of things? Service for Tucson till 30k km is absolutely free, correct? Did the SC use the specified engine oil i.e., ACEA C2 0W30? Anything else you can share will be helpful.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 15:34   #1128
BHPian

Quote:

2. Rear left suspension issue - In my earlier post, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5520987 (2022 Hyundai Tucson Review), I did mention the noise from the rear left side and how I fixed it. However, my diagnosis was wrong and it did not fix the noise. In fact, the noise got louder when the car was fully loaded (with 5 people or with luggage). Again the SC was brought into picture. The SC identified the culprit which was the suspension spring and it was dislodged and misaligned slightly. This usually can happen in off-road vehicles as the spring/suspension movement/articulation is high. However, for Tucson this is cannot/should not happen. Again Hyundai is analysing the issue.
I have had an issue with the noise in rear left. I've shown it to my SC, but they have not fixed it yet. Its annoying, and really impacts the quality of ride. May be I will ask them to look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
I am reopening a touchy subject for Tucosn owners, but I haven't found a good solution yet for the mediocre headlamps.
I face this challenge day in day out. This light is not adequate enough for me. I really wish I had evaluated this perspective before i bought the car.

I am also facing a flickering display issue. the problem is. it doesn't happen all the time. I have shown it to service center and they have raised a request for replacement part. However, how Hyundai is asking some vendor to do an inspection. Its really annoying. Attaching a video

noyes99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 15:35   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Service for Tucson till 30k km is absolutely free, correct? .
I believe labor is free and consumables are chargeable. Let me know if its otherwise.
noyes99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 17:17   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thank you for sharing the experience. I own a Tucson 4WD Diesel AT, and I echo your thoughts. It's an amazing car, and my family loves driving in it.

Regarding your first (10k) service, can you share a couple of things? Service for Tucson till 30k km is absolutely free, correct? Did the SC use the specified engine oil i.e., ACEA C2 0W30? Anything else you can share will be helpful.
Apparently, consumables are chargable. Only the labour is free of charge.
Regarding the oil, it was Servo 0W-30 SP/C3 fully synthetic oil that was used by the SC.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 17:41   #1131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes99 View Post
I believe labor is free and consumables are chargeable. Let me know if its otherwise.
Quote:
Regarding the oil, it was Servo 0W-30 SP/C3 fully synthetic oil that was used by the SC.
That's odd because when I bought the car I was told that the service would be completely free. Also, my nearest dealership mentioned that the service till 30k is free (including consumables). Also, on the Hyundai website, if we check the service calculator, then for New Hyundai Tucson it calculates ZERO cost for all three services i.e., at 10k, 20k, and 30k service internal. We can only see service cost estimates at 40k km service intervals. Attached are screenshots for reference.

Also, I am not sure about Servo 0W-30 SP/C3 fully synthetic oil, but Hyundai on their website mentions ACEA C2 0W30 as the recommended engine oil for BS 6 Hyundai Tucson. No sure if both the engine oils are the same or different. SP/C3 or ACEA C2? Are they the same, or should we just focus on the 0W30 number?

Engine Oil Link: https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil

If anyone else among the New Tucson owners can share their service experience too, then it will be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-10k-service.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-30k-service.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-40k-service.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-diesel-oil.jpg  

Last edited by aseem23 : 14th September 2023 at 17:43.
Old 14th September 2023, 17:58   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
That's odd because when I bought the car I was told that the service would be completely free. Also, my nearest dealership mentioned that the service till 30k is free (including consumables). Also, on the Hyundai website, if we check the service calculator, then for New Hyundai Tucson it calculates ZERO cost for all three services i.e., at 10k, 20k, and 30k service internal. We can only see service cost estimates at 40k km service intervals. Attached are screenshots for reference.

Also, I am not sure about Servo 0W-30 SP/C3 fully synthetic oil, but Hyundai on their website mentions ACEA C2 0W30 as the recommended engine oil for BS 6 Hyundai Tucson. No sure if both the engine oils are the same or different. SP/C3 or ACEA C2? Are they the same, or should we just focus on the 0W30 number?

Engine Oil Link: https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil

If anyone else among the New Tucson owners can share their service experience too, then it will be helpful.
I may be wrong on the cost of the service part. Some one better informed should be able to clear this.

You can also check out the user manual for the oil specs. As I mentioned earlier, as per Hyundai standards, you can either use either semi-synthetic oil or synthetic oil. Using synthetic oil is not mandatory per se.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 22:13   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOneWhoRides View Post
Thanks. Can you please share the model number? I can see that it's 70mai make, but can't really figure out the exact model.
It is 70MAI Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Car Dash Cam
KrishKallapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 18:04   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
I got my first service done today. They didn’t charge a dime. Engine oil and Oil filter was changed. Also they checked the AC filter and found out to be clean. So didn’t replace it this time.
madagascar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 12:19   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
I am reopening a touchy subject for Tucosn owners, but I haven't found a good solution yet for the mediocre headlamps.
Hello Naikameya,

I too had the same issue with the OEM head lights the throw was below average. So installed the Hella Light bar. 50% of outstation drive is during the night.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hella-...llation-review

Thank you!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2023 at 12:52. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Mathan1130 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 12:24   #1136
BHPian

It seems all manufacturers are cutting on light output of headlights. Tucson has the same issue, Hycross has the same issue. Major other cars have the same issue of weak headlight.

Is it to increase life of the LEDs? or just another means to cutting cost?
Old 17th September 2023, 12:45   #1137
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Aseem23,

The first 3 service is completely free if you go ahead with the semi synthetic oil as replacement. If you need fully synthetic oil then you have to pay Rs 700 to 800 depending on the brand you choose! During my 1st service i had to pay just for Ad-blue top up.

I got the shell engine oil (C2 0W30) grade from Amazon India & got the oil replaced from local work shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post

Mine will be coming up shortly as still in a dilemma to decide Audison or Rainbow. Both amazing brands and My Fortuner had active Rainbows done by Car Plus Sumitji and what amazing sound like a live concert.

Hello Deepu,

That's awesome. Could you please share the total cost involved in the audio upgrade. Even I am planning for an audio upgrade possible to upgrade speakers , add Helix DSP & Focal subwoofer.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-shell-.jpeg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-oil-change-.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2023 at 12:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Mathan1130 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 15:40   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahin_P21 View Post

At last both has its pros and cons, pros being better convinence, if you do get one, then let us know about the experience
I just received the product yesterday. This is simply an initial experience and so, it won't contain answers to qustions such as whether the connection will remain stable or will the device heat up, etc.

So far, the connection has been instantaneous and works like it should. One nitpick I have is the minor lag when compared to the wired system. Other than that, it has performed without any issues.

As I said above, this is simply my initial experience and my opinions may change once I travel long distance. I will let the pictures and gifs do the talking.

EDIT: No idea why the GIF doesn't play automatically. Do click on them to see.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-image-20230917-14.49.38.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-image-20230917-14.49.46.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-image-20230917-14.50.01.jpg  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-video-20230917-14.51.24-onlinevideocutter.com.gif  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-video-20230917-14.51.07-onlinevideocutter.com.gif  

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-whatsapp-video-20230917-14.50.521.gif  

Last edited by Sandeep M : 17th September 2023 at 15:58.
Sandeep M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 18:35   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOneWhoRides View Post
Wanted to share my thoughts on XUV700 vs Tucson. I booked a Tucson but ended up getting the XUV700 because I couldn't get the delivery of Tucson on time. It's been 6 months and am not too happy with my choice and considering selling the XUV and getting the Tucson. XUV's diesel engine is a lot noisier and lags the punch at low speeds like you experienced with with Jeep. The XUV's petrol engine however is much better to drive (compared to the diesel one), so unless you were thinking about going with the petrol version, you've a much better car in hand.

My XUV 700 is definitely going but am still thinking if I should go for Tucson (was my first choice anyways and also the fact that my experience with Hyundai has been super amazing and I love my 2015 elite i20) or buy XUV 700 petrol to stay away from diesel engines and use the extra money to get a small EV for city commutes.
Go for Tucson anyday especially the Petrol its butter smooth, and pure bliss to drive. The mileage hovers at around 11 for me in city and 13 on highway. The silent cabin makes it compete with any German luxury brand.
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:49   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Go for Tucson anyday especially the Petrol its butter smooth, and pure bliss to drive. The mileage hovers at around 11 for me in city and 13 on highway. The silent cabin makes it compete with any German luxury brand.
I would not recommend the Tucson Petrol. It's an underpowered engine not worthy of this car. Even the 1.5 turbo petrol(160ps power and 253nm torque) of verna has more power and torque than the Tucson petrol(156ps power and 192nm torque). The XUV7OO petrol is in another league with it's 200ps power and 380nm torque.
axe_deo is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks