Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:30   #601

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
M&M has updated a set of 25 official accessories for the Scorpio N in their m2all portal. A couple of interesting ones -

[center]Roof carrier - ₹21,500
Attachment 2337089
Even though its expensive, the roof carrier looks really good. A fe thoughts on this:
  1. How is this installed? Looks like it replacing the existing roof rails.
  2. Will cleaning the roof be a problem? I can imagine leaves and debris getting stuck below the carrier and rotting and corroding the paint.
  3. Looks like lots of plastic is used. Will it survive harsh sun over the long run.
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:37   #602
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

And this is Introductory pricing?

AWD at almost 3L extra OTR?
AT at almost 2.35L extra OTR?

Nope this is not VFM

And then if one ditches the AWD the Safari will do better off road as a 2WD than the 2WD ScorpioN

Safari AT is also proven. Plus has a usable 3rd row and decent luggage space. Both of which are missing in the ScorpioN.

The idea of a rugged BOF requires a matching AWD/4x4.

XUV700 owners switching over is also unlikely now. XUV700 feels better value too now.

Right now Z6 Diesel, Petrol and AT variants as also Z4 AT Diesel and Z4 Manual Petrol seem to make more sense considering the ScorpioN brand.. But they have already declared that they are making mostly Z8LAT first. Are the bookings holding up though at 26L+OTR? Especially beyond the first say 20k.

The introductory pricing seems to be an offer to new buyer that is expected to compensate for initial niggles, that may be expected

Yes it will do well initially.
But am expecting majority of carts (including mine) to be abandoned.

Last edited by ACM : 22nd July 2022 at 12:39.
ACM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:41   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Now the introductory prices for all variants of the Mahindra Scorpio-N has been revealed, here’s how it stacks up against other 3-row SUVs on the price graph.

Attachment 2337047
There's no Z4 AT 4WD option as mentioned in this chart. I had also added Z4 AT to cart earlier and re-checked again after seeing this chart but sadly that option is not available.
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:47   #604
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Driven Scorpio N, Z8 Diesel automatic at Sireesh Auto Bangalore today. Below are my observations, for reference I drive Vento TSI (DSG)-

- Speed breakers were no match to the car suspension but road adulterations and imperfections were really unsettling at low speeds. Second-row seat occupants were getting tossed around even at low speeds. Comparable to Fortuner but HEXA is still the benchmark here. TATA please bring the HEXA back, it will definitely be valued more now.

- The gear lever is flimsy, and does not slot with reassurance if you are shuffling between drive and reverse. VW DSG is the benchmark here.

You miss out on a lot of space and an option of a flatbed. You need to fold and tumble. The real deal breaker for me.
So the much touted FDD suspension is a Dud?!! What is this thing MTV-CL being touted in the marketing blurb?

Quote:
The SUV-ish body design of the Scorpio-N makes it prone to body-rolling, and to tackle this issue, the MTV-CL technology comes into play.
Are flimsy gears a thing across all Mahindra cars? One would expect once the technical engineering aspect for a specific parts design is sorted for one car model it would carry over across to all cars - Unless a new improved engineering and design is introduced.
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:50   #605
BHPian

We are just a miniscule tiny population of city dwelling salaried/ service class who suddenly got interested in Scorpio N seeing some value in this new SUV when we compare it to other so called C-SUV or mid sized SUV/ crossovers. And we started comparing Mahindra product against other such products which are not in direct competition neither from same category (MS SUVs, Creta/ Seltos/ Venue/ Sonet/ Nexon). Some are scared about Skoda/ VW and Tata motors have their own agenda not to sell to such buyers. We continued to do our mental maths for Average FE, Petrol or Diesel dilemma etc. Frankly, we are not a pure Scorpio fan. Rather we probably used to give way to any black or speeding Scorpio appearing on our rear view mirrors.

The original Scorpio fan base or customers will not bother about most of the things we are discussing here in length- variant comparison, delta price, costly AT, northward journey of fuel price, petrol vs diesel etc. They will just pick up the SUV and enjoy. Hence sales number will always remain healthy for this Scorpio N. There is no dearth of fat wallets in India. Someone rightly said, the yearly additional fuel expenditure for my running will be just 2% of this 2 million SUV.
RijuC is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:15   #606
BHPian

The pricing was on the higher side- but that’s the norm these days.

I have Z8L AT 4x4 in cart and will retain it and will try to get into first 25K list. I also have XUV7OO AXL AT booked. Below will be my plan

> Check the price hike after 25K bookings
> I am surprised that most of us are not expecting a price hike on XUV7OO too and I think people waiting for deliveries should expect. Mahindra will expect to main the positioning differentiation and pricing is the key here
> Hyundai will announce the pricing of Tucson on 04th Aug and that might make Scorpio N VFM. Though different segments, Grand Vitara might also be in the ballpark 24L OTR

The market is expected to be seller driven for atleast 2-3 years more and Scorpio N will drive more numbers than XUV7OO. After initial reactions to prices, I believe it will sink in and people will be lapping up this one in big numbers.
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:49   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I took the Diesel AT out on a recent road-trip. About ~400 km. It's a deadly combination, even the lady loved it and was insisting on driving it on the expressway. Will be putting up a short post with highlights & my observations in August.
Awaiting eagerly!!!
though it is steep pricing, there aren't any worthy options to consider. I am in a situation where I want to go all in. But, slowly it seems reviews stating positive points are diminishing. All the media hype has started to go away, and enthusiasts are not liking the ride quality and other parameters which may become a deal breaker.

Please do take out some time and try to post the observations before the booking window opens for commoners like us!!
rooster.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:53   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
The market is expected to be seller driven for atleast 2-3 years more and Scorpio N will drive more numbers than XUV7OO. After initial reactions to prices, I believe it will sink in and people will be lapping up this one in big numbers.
I doubt that scorpioN will be able to do higher numbers than XUV700.Before the launch of XUV700 price was speculated to be 20+ lacs,but people were shocked with the sticker price and all the prospective buyers of Creta,seltos,brezza,ertiga,xl6,magnite,kiger,xuv30 0,marazzo,scorpio,alcazar,sonet,also those not planning to change the car moved to XUV700.

But in case of scorpioN we were already aware of the price and it didn't came as a surprise.What came as a surprise is sheer size of the SUV and its off-roading capabilities. Now, after revealing the AT/4X4 price it is actually no longer a VFM in my view (it makes less sense to buy it over to safari & XUV700 without that) and all those who were confused b/w XUV700 & scorpioN will have clarity in mind .Btw for real lovers of scorpio brand, classic is still on offer.

It is is 4.7 meter car with a swing gate of almost 2 meter.It will be a nightmare for parking and loading stuff in tight spaces.

Last edited by Gaddibuddy : 22nd July 2022 at 13:54.
Gaddibuddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:59   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
And this is Introductory pricing?

And then if one ditches the AWD the Safari will do better off road as a 2WD than the 2WD ScorpioN
Can you explain? I was seriously considering Safari, but isn't it a popular belief that rear wheel drive cars have better off-roading capability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
> Hyundai will announce the pricing of Tucson on 04th Aug and that might make Scorpio N VFM. Though different segments, Grand Vitara might also be in the ballpark 24L OTR
It doesn't by any chance seem that Tucson will be announced any close to Scorpio N pricing.
Grand Vitara (AWD- with less power figures) if priced 24 L OTR, then indeed Scorpio N is a VFM proposition

Last edited by rooster.ram : 22nd July 2022 at 14:03.
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:25   #610
BHPian

A good number of "added-to-cart" Scorpio-Ns will see the use of "Modify" option after this price reveal of AT and 4x4 variants.
Many will opt for lesser variants and many will go for other cars. But this will not dent the overall sales of ScorpioN.
Mahindra should have revealed the prices of all the variants together only to avoid disappointment of their customers. This strategy of "add-to-cart" to gauge the preferences and then price their offerings is not going to help much I guess.
ScorpioN is a great product and will see healthy sales figures but what would have helped Mahindra to set the sales chart on fire are better space management and slightly lower pricing (especially of the AT and 4x4 variants).
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:34   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What am I missing here?

Now the Z4 2wd come with a 130 BHP engine, but the Z4 4wd comes with a 172 BHP engine, whereas the Z8 2wd & 4wd both comes with a 172 BHP engine.

So the price of a 130 BHP engine and a 172 BHp engine are same?

The only point I can think off is the extra MLD, Brake traction control and the drive modes (Xplorer) which are missing in the Z4 4wd, but present in Z8 4wd compensates the difference.
Or is there anything more to it?
The engines are probably the same mechanically. Only a software tune that limits its power. This is just a guess though, I will have to inspect both to say it for sure. But this is pretty common, similar to how the harrier was first introduced with 140ps to avoid competition with the Jeep and then later bumped up to 170ps.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:50   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The engines are probably the same mechanically. Only a software tune that limits its power. This is just a guess though, I will have to inspect both to say it for sure. But this is pretty common, similar to how the harrier was first introduced with 140ps to avoid competition with the Jeep and then later bumped up to 170ps.
As per my understanding, Duster 85 and 110 were having different hardware and tuning.
Bigger turbo, filters and other supporting hardware will be required for extracting more power. Minor increase in power can be done by changing tuning in ECU, but that will be limited to throttle response/ fuel injection only. For better power delivery turbo charger will be bigger.
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:54   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Having worked in past in turbochargers industry, I can say that the difference is beyond just software. They should be using different turbochargers - both in size and technology. The lower tuned one could be using a waste-gate while the higher tuned one could be a variable nozzle.
atluri_rkc is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:56   #614
BHPian

The pricing makes sense from Mahindra pov, not so much from a consumer pov.

Majority of Scorpio owners don't necessarily need a 4X4. Those who need it will go for Scorpio anyways since there isn't a plan B in the market.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:36   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Been there, done that. For road use only, some of the other smaller vehicles from Tata stable will do better on rough terrain than Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
We are just a miniscule tiny population of city dwelling salaried/ service class who suddenly got interested in Scorpio N seeing some value in this new SUV when we compare it to other so called C-SUV or mid sized SUV/ crossovers.

*SNIP*

There is no dearth of fat wallets in India. Someone rightly said, the yearly additional fuel expenditure for my running will be just 2% of this 2 million SUV.
Finally someone figured it out

Scorpio N costs less for a full tank of a diesel too, 3 liters saved!!

While being in the showroom I observed an older gentleman.

After giving a Cheque to the Salesman for pre booking, the gentleman asks him - What is going to be the price? Salesman says price not announced Sir.

Okay no problem, call me when you have all the details and walks out.

Scorpio shopping done.
Kosfactor is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed