Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2024, 14:11   #3796
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Apologies if this question has been answered before.
Due to the lack of tire options in 255/60/R18 size, some ScorpioN owners have upgraded to 265 size AT tires. How has the experience of forum members been?
What is the mileage/handling impact of such a change, and is there a risk of the tire sidewalls rubbing against the vehicle? Any warranty implications?
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 11:20   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Due to the lack of tire options in 255/60/R18 size, some ScorpioN owners have upgraded to 265 size AT tires. How has the experience of forum members been?
What is the mileage/handling impact of such a change, and is there a risk of the tire sidewalls rubbing against the vehicle? Any warranty implications?
Mahindra themselves use 265/60 R18 in Aus & SA when doing off-road shoots, so, I think 265 size should be fine. Though, economically the Thar size 255/65 makes more sense as these Tyre sizes are quite cheaper compared to 265/60.
Rahkehs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2024, 18:18   #3798
BHPian

Quote:
Other than MRF, you have the standard size available in Yokohama geolander as well. I changed from MRFs to Yoko at 40K kms and the experience has been good so far in the 5K+ kms I have used the Yokos for. More silent, ride a bit softer compared to the MRFs. I hope this helps.
Peepsimus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 20:59   #3799

My Dec 2023 Z8L 4WD is now refusing to start. Pressing the start/stop button does nothing except throw a hill descent control error and the headlights start intermittently flickering. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue because the ICE seems to be working fine. There's also a message that says 'place key in key fob'. Did that too, but to no avail.

My car is now stuck in the basement of my building from where even towing it out is going to be very difficult. Any suggestions?
flyingsaucer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2024, 10:45   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucer View Post
My Dec 2023 Z8L 4WD is now refusing to start. Pressing the start/stop button does nothing except throw a hill descent control error and the headlights start intermittently flickering. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue because the ICE seems to be working fine. There's also a message that says 'place key in key fob'. Did that too, but to no avail.

My car is now stuck in the basement of my building from where even towing it out is going to be very difficult. Any suggestions?
It is most definitely a battery issue. The battery has drained. Does not have enough voltage to crank. Get a spare battery. Connect in parallel to your battery. Start the car. Let it run for 5 mins. Disconnect the jumpers. Keep the car running for another half an hour. Take it out for a spin. Do not stop. It shall be okay.

If you do not have a jumper and spare battery available. Call RSS they will come down and do the needful. Happened with me when she was parked for 3 months straight. Cheers
Old 7th September 2024, 21:06   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you make a video that ScorpioN is rock solid at 180, no one will watch it. They have already seen it before.

You can see their boss himself driving it here.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=likDeHtbYDI&t=685s

From my own experience they are not kidding when they talk about speed, it will do everything they say it would including coming to a stop in a hurry - all this while having MRF Wanderers all season tyres.
As a fresh owner of the Scorpio-N, let me confirm Very Solidly that the vehicle is extremely planted. The 2 Ton weight helps, I am sure!

On a controlled road, I touched good speeds (with my wife and daughter alongside me) and let me assure anyone and everyone that the vehicle feels extremely safe and planted.

Scorpio-N’s steering is feather-light at parking speeds but weighs up wonderfully as you build up speed.

For anyone in two minds about stability and body roll on a BOF vehicle, I guarantee: It is a wonderful high-speed handler.

PS: Though not much a high-speed turner.

There’s a reason it sells 12k+ every month despite the auto industry slowdown. It’s an unbelievable vehicle. Have fun. Be safe!

Remember: If you are reaching speeds of 120, you should leave at least a 250 metre gap with the vehicle in front of you. It is a non-negotiable!

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2024 at 23:42. Reason: Rule #11
manishk83 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2024, 08:23   #3802
BHPian

Yesterday I had a chance to take my Scorpio N Z8 4WD AT R18 to a remote area in the hills and it has been a nice experience for me, though there was some let down.
The tyres are stock Bridgestone tyres. On the new concrete highway it was a smooth stable and very confident ride with speeds up to 120 kmph. However once in the hills I was slightly disappointed, though on the sharp curves on tarmac, the vehicle was very planted on the vehicle-width PMGSY road. I felt extremely confident and safe, with its excellent handling, but on the unpaved track, 4xplore was a bit of a let down. In gravel mode on steep rises the tyres seemed to have lower grip (I wonder how they’ll perform in snow). It was only when I switched to 4L did the car seem a little more sure-footed but not very confident. Mud and rut worked perfectly in 4L (though the front of this heavy car sinks easily in soft ground it can heave itself out, but one has to be careful on where to take it). After finding the track swept away in the recent rains and finding no space to turn back, I had to reverse about 200m using the same modes, and felt the same experience, leaving me to wonder whether this car can handle serious off-roading or just some occasional detours. Missed my dad’s Willys and MM550 on these same tracks. Must be the tyres, which I should have replaced at the beginning. Now after 6000km I guess I’m stuck with them for some time :( Or is it the AT? Maybe, but now, having become a senior, MT is not for me, though I miss that thrill of its use!

Last edited by rajesh2812 : 8th September 2024 at 08:42. Reason: Wanted to add a few more points
rajesh2812 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2024, 12:02   #3803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
The tyres are stock Bridgestone tyres. On the new concrete highway it was a smooth stable and very confident ride with speeds up to 120 kmph. However once in the hills I was slightly disappointed, though on the sharp curves on tarmac, the vehicle was very planted on the vehicle-width PMGSY road. I felt extremely confident and safe, with its excellent handling, but on the unpaved track, 4xplore was a bit of a let down. In gravel mode on steep rises the tyres seemed to have lower grip (I wonder how they’ll perform in snow). Now after 6000km I guess I’m stuck with them for some time :( Or is it the AT? Maybe, but now, having become a senior, MT is not for me, though I miss that thrill of its use!
Observation is spot on. The Bridgestone on my vehicle works butter smooth and silent on tarmac. However, on gravel and loose patches it searches for grip. Also, being on the softer side my Bridgestones seemed to have worn out faster than I would have liked. Treads are still there. But the rubber cannot take the abuse of rocks and pebbles for long; treads have become wider and slight crack due to the same. Have shown ASS for the same. They did all the formalities and uploaded the same to the Bridgestone team. However, as expected they called it off as normal wear and tear. At 17k kms I am currently stuck with these tyres. Shall change them to AT once budget permits and around 40k maybe.
sand-dune96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 13:43   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some ScorpioN owners have upgraded to 265 size AT tires. How has the experience of forum members been?
Had upgraded to Geolandars G05 A/T in 265/60R18 last year and the performance is far better than stock MRFs.

So much grip that I can no longer perform powerslides, even with the traction off.

Off the road, the grip has been great. Would notice that I needed slightly less throttle in mud and slush than others on stock tires.
Got through a riverbed where half the vehicles got stuck.

To top it off, very little sliding on black ice as well.

Cannot see any mileage difference. No rubbing lock-to-lock, even with articulation.

Here it is in action:

Dry grip:

Some photos:

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_7138.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_7149.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_7150.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_4311.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_7674.jpeg

Switch to 265 without worry, my friend
vredesbyrd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 09:19   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Here it is in action:
Nice practical demo
I noticed you also have some sort of HUD. Could you please describe that, including procurement, installation, usage, features, pros and cons etc. along with some close up pics and a video?
rajesh2812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 14:51   #3806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Had upgraded to Geolandars G05 A/T in 265/60R18 last year and the performance is far better than stock MRFs.

So much grip that I can no longer perform powerslides, even with the traction off.

Off the road, the grip has been great. Would notice that I needed slightly less throttle in mud and slush than others on stock tires.
Got through a riverbed where half the vehicles got stuck.

To top it off, very little sliding on black ice as well.

Cannot see any mileage difference. No rubbing lock-to-lock, even with articulation.

Switch to 265 without worry, my friend
Thanks for sharing the videos. Although I own a Z8 MT 4WD (which comes from factory with steel alloys & R17 tires), I changed to Z8L stock profile R18 alloys & MRF Wanderers (255/60/R18). Now odo is at 35K KMs and looking forward to upgrade tires somewhere between 45K and 50K KMs. 265/60R18 is what I am now thinking to upgrade to. Does it fit the stock alloys perfectly?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 17:06   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Does it fit the stock alloys perfectly?
Thank you. It is a perfect fit as I am on stock rims as well
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 17:36   #3808
BHPian

Can someone help me with this:

My new Scorpio-N Diesel AT has now run 900 kms. I came back from an open-road drive of almost 50 kms and stopped and parked the car. Got out. Came back in a few minutes. Put the key in but didn’t start the engine. Heard twice a ‘Thud’ sound - like something fell on the roof.

Worried, I thought I’d move the vehicle. And suddenly, I see 3 things:

1. A yellow ‘tilted car’ warning symbol (within two concentric circles) on the MID (I checked whether I mis-intentionally engaged Hill Descent Control or anything else - I did not) - and I had parked on a flat surface.
2. The car showing ‘Error’ where ‘Kms travelled’ should have been showing.
3. The drive modes got de-activated. When trying to engage drive modes, I got a message ‘Drive mode Disabled’ on the MID.

Now I am more worried as compared to when I thought a fruit was falling on the car roof. I now assume that those 2 ‘Thuds’ were engine noises.

Any thoughts, knowledge or ideas - what this could mean?

Last edited by manishk83 : 11th September 2024 at 17:52.
Old 11th September 2024, 17:46   #3809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice practical demo
I noticed you also have some sort of HUD. Could you please describe that, including procurement, installation, usage, features, pros and cons etc. along with some close up pics and a video?
Thank you.
This should be able to answer most of your questions

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11th September 2024, 18:15   #3810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Can someone help me with this:
Now I am more worried as compared to when I thought a fruit was falling on the car roof. I now assume that those 2 ‘Thuds’ were engine noises.

Any thoughts, knowledge or ideas - what this could mean?
Hopefully should not be something to worry about. Just take it to the service centre and have all the sensors and couplers checked.
My z8 AT 4WD too had all this and much more, after 4 trips to the service centre and 4 months the problem was identified as a loose coupler somewhere, now things are fine and I’m enjoying the drive, including a lot of bad roads and trails. Do not let go the pressure on the service people till you are fully satisfied. Sometimes I’d come back with all OK but to have the problem reoccur the next day. Luckily the service people here were very patient and cooperative. They still call me up to ask if all is OK. Mahindra should have done a better job with the electronics and software … its such a dampener on the joy of a new car and a doubt always remains in the back of the head - what if these errors crop up at a remote location and they are real, not just some sensor acting weird?
Here’s my post on the issue. You aren’t alone

Quote:
In four months and 4000 kms my car has been to the service centre 4 times plus first service. The issue … all alerts and warnings coming up randomly. After much trial and error the problem seems to have been identified as some loose couplers somewhere. Questions keep coming up; Can I rely

Last edited by rajesh2812 : 11th September 2024 at 18:20. Reason: Insert the words - trips to the service centre
rajesh2812 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks