Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2024, 15:12   #3721
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post

Hence, Scorpio. The only question now remains- P vs D AT?
In Mumbai traffic expect 5-7kmpl for a Petrol, that's what i have been getting in my Petrol Manual since past 1 year, for an automatic expect 0.5-1kmpl lesser.
On Highways at a steady 90-100kmph i get around 14kmpl.

All these figures are with A.C on all the time and sedately driven, though i must admit driving it sedately is an task in itself, the petrol engine begs you to go hard on the pedal but then you would be visiting the fuel pump that often.

With 10K annual running i suggest you to re-do your calculation.

The Scorpio excels over the XUV when driven on bad roads, it will simply glide over broken roads like no other vehicle, soo much so that you will start searching for a broken patch of road so that you can drive fast over it while others will be crawling.

However on smooth roads with slight undulation a Scorpio will never feel settled, you will always have this wallowing feel to the ride this doesn't inspire much confidence to push it over 100-120, XUV i believe fares better here.

Last edited by Gaur : 31st July 2024 at 15:14.
Gaur is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 15:35   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Driving a ScorpioN at 100 kmph feels like it’ll take all your might to control a rampaging guerilla. But there’s thrill in that!
Big fan of mountain gorillas and Scorpio N. I have a Petrol Manual. While cruising at 80-90 kmph in 6th gear, stepping on the accelerator is one of the most exhilarating moments for me right now. But be ready for 10kmpl.
NT_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 17:58   #3723
BHPian

Scorpio N 20k update

A year has gone by & 20k is up.

Key loves:
  • Seating Position - Perfect for my height - even the XUV7 cant match it
  • Torque Monster - even at 100 kmph has enough steam to take an overtake
  • Milemuncher - Went to Amaravati and back over a Friday-Sunday with my dad-both were fresh in the office on Monday
  • No Regen jugglery to date Just momentarily flashed on my daily drives, and went off in my normal drive itself
  • People are scared of it
  • Zoom mode is Mad Max mode

Service Experience
  • 1000 km - NBS Sewri - Absolutely nothing was done; except for the wash
  • ~8500 km - NBS Goregaon - Had a bump with a wagon R, Scratched the bumper & cracked the headlamp - Vehicle was down for 4 days for the headlamp to arrive - Work done was good - they did my headlamp alignment perfectly
  • 10k - Randhawa Kurla - was short of time - did just the routine jobs no recalls/software updates- skipped the wash as washing had 8 vehicles before mine - gave it a wash and wax later at 3M Chembur
  • 20k - NBS Sewri - One of my best service experiences - Dropped the vehicle & confirmed that all needs to be done - Alternator pulley/carplay/airbag software/steering joint tightening- Didnt wait- Left it to the SA to deliver it when everything was done - vehicle came back at 4 pm the next day

Overall been getting around 12-14 kmpl in city & ~16 kmpl on the highways with FATC on at 25 degs
The last row seat has been used 4 times till date
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 09:48   #3724
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Hence, Scorpio. The only question now remains- P vs D AT?
D AT gives real fuel economy of 9-10 KMPL in city [bangalore traffic, AC on 100% of time] & 11-13 KMPL on Highway

P AT would be 6-7 in city & 8-10 on highway
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:17   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post

A year has gone by & 20k is up.
What is your take on ride quality on various terrains? How does it take patchy concrete expressways at a speed range of 80-120? Is it scary, planted? I am sure this would be one of the contributors to feeling fresh even after long drives.
Old 1st August 2024, 11:05   #3726
BHPian

In just 1.5 years, Big Daddy has impressively clocked 27,000 km! During my recent trip to the Spiti circuit, the SUV performed flawlessly, with no DPF issues, even while navigating the challenging stretch from Kaza to Chandratal, Batal, and Manali, where I had to frequently switch between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears for over 100 km.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20240801-10.48.06.jpeg

As expected at higher altitudes, the idling RPM hovered above 1000, and the gear shift indicator stopped working. I maintained optimal engine performance by upshifting at 2000 RPM and downshifting at 1400 RPM. Except for missing wheel hub cap and slight steering vibration, it has been an excellent trip. Thanks to delayed monsoon, weather god too showed us some mercy with no significant blockades due to landslide except for couple of hours at Nigul Sari. Overall DEF consumption was at 50% for 7000kms, even at higher altitude, DEF consumption was marginally more but it was hardly noticeable.
Car has been quite frugal throughout the trip, Throughout the trip, I stuck to Jio BP fuel wherever possible, ensuring consistent performance, highest being at 17km/l and lowest being 10.4km/l. I felt ride quality is little fidgety and busy over smaller potholes and lightly deteriorated patches of road, but larger bumps are handled better. Obstacles like big potholes, or clearing speedbumps with a smidge too much pace, and similar scenarios see the Scorpio hold onto its composure fairly well.

Talking about my ownership journey so far, except for routine service and recalls, has been a smooth journey so far. I generally prefer to keep my car as stock as possible, but this time I made an exception. I have reinforced the underbody with a Prad4x4 MS guard, including a DEF tank guard. The stock Bridgestone tires were disappointing, developing cracks with only 20,000 km on the odometer. As usual, Mahindra SVC dismissed it as normal wear and tear.

Not wanting to prolong the issue, I replaced the tires with Maxxis Bravo 771 AT tires (255/65 R17), and they exceeded my expectations. Despite the typical characteristics of all-terrain tires, the wet grip was excellent. Thanks to the cow menace in MP, I had a few instances of panic braking, and the car stopped without any drama.

Will post a detailed travelogue in a separate thread.
Resting at Kunzum la top
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20240801-10.48.09.jpeg

Beautiful Ka loops.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20240801-10.54.41-1.jpeg

Somwehere near Chatru.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20240723-13.31.34.jpeg

Last edited by DragonHawk : 1st August 2024 at 11:22.
DragonHawk is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 13:38   #3727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
What is your take on ride quality on various terrains? How does it take patchy concrete expressways at a speed range of 80-120? Is it scary, planted? I am sure this would be one of the contributors to feeling fresh even after long drives.
The ride in the front row is super. No mega movements etc. Gets jerky at slow speeds and on big potholes/sharp undulations.

Middle seat is good as long as you are going straight and above 35-40 kmph. But the jerks are substantially bigger but not uncomfortable as of now (Mom/dad/wife/baby as well)

So long as the concrete undulation is horizontal to the car, it is not uncomfortable at all. Have done numerous drives on the Mumbai Pune Eway and the Samruddhi as well.

I drive it way differently than how I would navigate my city/polo through the same patches. I plough it through the rough patch "ghode bech ke" (without any thoughts)
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 18:00   #3728

Hey guys I got a shocker yesterday when i took my scorpion n 4*4 for 30,000km service at mahindra service center I was told that i needs to replace the rear 'Brake Drums'. Brake drums change at just 32000Km??I don't get it. I drive mostly in the city under normal conditions. When I asked that will it be replaced under warrenty they said no.
Old 1st August 2024, 21:47   #3729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grewalsecret View Post
Hey guys I got a shocker yesterday when i took my scorpion n 4*4 for 30,000km service at mahindra service center I was told that i needs to replace the rear 'Brake Drums'. Brake drums change at just 32000Km??I don't get it. I drive mostly in the city under normal conditions. When I asked that will it be replaced under warrenty they said no.
Very interesting since ScorpioN has disk brakes all around. Did you drive with your handbrake on or something?
Old 1st August 2024, 21:49   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Brake drums or brake pads? Your vehicle must have all 4 discs. So where is this drum coming into the picture? I think the service centre tried a fast one. Also automatic or manual?
Old 1st August 2024, 22:09   #3731
BHPian

Quote:
Scorpio-N comes with all 4 disc brakes as mentioned by @Cresterk and @sbanerjee. The rear brake would be eaten only when hand brake is applied. I doubt anyone would drive 100s of kilometres with hand brake applied and not hear chime sound.

If service person said Brake Drum, then this highlights he/she does not know anything about the car or trying to lure into the trap of changing brake disc. The brake disc lasts longer as long as brake pads are changed timely.
Old 2nd August 2024, 11:13   #3732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Very interesting since ScorpioN has disk brakes all around. Did you drive with your handbrake on or something?
Handbrake, no way. I only use handbrake while parking and the car has the handbrake on sensor it starts beeping. And it happened at the authorized Mahindra service center.
Old 2nd August 2024, 11:22   #3733

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Brake drums or brake pads? Your vehicle must have all 4 discs. So where is this drum coming into the picture? I think the service centre tried a fast one. Also automatic or manual?
Automatic 4*4 top model. When they called me they were like you rear brakes has a problem and I was like maybe Pads are gone. Then i asked how much will it cost me and they were "Sir it will cost you around 15/16 I thought 1500/1600 hundred and then he said Sir 15000/16000 for one side". I was like what the hell. Now i cant stop thinking that they must get 2-3 customers fooled like this every month or maybe every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
Scorpio-N comes with all 4 disc brakes as mentioned by @Cresterk and @sbanerjee. The rear brake would be eaten only when hand brake is applied. I doubt anyone would drive 100s of kilometres with hand brake applied and not hear chime sound.

If service person said Brake Drum, then this highlights he/she does not know anything about the car or trying to lure into the trap of changing brake disc. The brake disc lasts longer as long as brake pads are changed timely.

When they called me it was in the middle of the day and I was very busy and consumed by my work at that moment. If he would have said some cheaper repair like 2-3 thousand rupees items I would have said yes at that time. But when the guy said 15/16000 for one side i was like what the hell. Now I think this is how they fool people. And it was an Authorized Mahindra dealership.

Last edited by graaja : 4th August 2024 at 17:04. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use edit or Multiquote features
Old 3rd August 2024, 18:05   #3734

I took my SN for a recall (alternator pulley, steering rod bolt re-torqueing and ecu flash) today at PPS Mahindra Thanisandra Bangalore.

when I picked the vehicle and reached home I realised, while Parking, that all 4 parking sensors are now showing error.

I don't know what the SA checks after the job gets completed, anyways called the SA and he told first told me that they did not touch it then said that I should get it fixed during next service (mine SN it at 15k and next service will be after 5k), so I got annoyed and finally he asked me to visit next weekday.

This has happened twice with me, I go for something and find another issue has creeped in. Last time something happened with front sensors.

Another problem is that they are always short on parts supply, my AC modes is not working and air is only coming out of dashboard vents for which again the SA's reply was we will order the parts and it will take 15days to come.

Thinking of switching to Sireesh Auto (Mahindra) jakkur, can anyone share how is Sireesh's staff and service experience?
Mophius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 13:17   #3735
BHPian

I drive a P AT and usage around 400kms per month which made sense to buy petrol. Mileage in Bangalore city is between 7-8 kmpl, which is ok for a big car in b-to-b traffic.
What is worrying is highway milage. In highways, i get around 10kmpl mileage for moderate driving around speed limits. I fuel in range of Rs 17k for round trip to Hyderabad.
vinbie2019 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks