Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 09:41   #3286
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Hello All. Yesterday, I was busy polishing and noticed that a lot of small leaves, debris, and soil had accumulated in the rear door area (marked in the image below). I had to open the screw, remove the plastic section and clean it. Do keep an eye on the same. That particular section is prone to rust if not cleaned regularly, especially during monsoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20221209012222_500_9163.jpg  

keeprevving is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:51   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Initial Thoughts on the Scorpio N:

I bought the Scorpio N Petrol Z8L AT on 12 January and have completed 1100 kms in 4 days. Here are my initial thoughts:

NOTE: my immediate point of reference is a Toyota Fortuner 2.8 D AT which I drove for 15 months and replaced with the Scorpio N.

1. Engine - Both SUVs have great engines. The Toyota has grunt and raw power with a terrific midrange. The Scorpio is smooth as silk! There have been many instances where I just could not tell if the engine is running. It is so smooth, silent and vibe free. The MStallion is a fast motor and masks speeds very well. Before you know it you are at 100+ but it seems as if the car is doing 60-70. Kudos to M&M for this motor, and this motor alone makes it worth buying the Scoprio or the XUV petrol!

2. Ride - No two ways about it, the Scorpio trounces the Toyota Fortuner. Be it smooth roads, potholes, rumble strips, imperfections or expansion joints, the way the Scorpio handles them, the Toyota Fortuner can only dream of!

3. Handling - I would give it even-steven here. The Toyota Fortuner has a firmer suspension, so it corners slightly flatter, but the Scorpio's shorter length makes it more agile. The wheelbase is roughly the same for both.

4. Interior quality - The materials used in both are at par, with some good finishes and some obvious cost-cutting. Passenger comfort in the front is at par. The middle row in the Scorpio is way better both in terms of seat comfort, and the ride quality.

5. DPF - This was the main reason I let go of the Toyota Fortuner. Toyota has really not mastered the DPF and every 150 kms saw regen starting which was a pain in the cities. My Scorpio is a petrol, so no worries there.

So far, a positive start to my Scorpio N Ownership. Let's hope it stay this way!

Hope this is helpful for fellow members
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_3487.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 21st January 2024 at 15:58. Reason: Spacing, acronyms
himanshugoswami is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 19:15   #3288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Many congratulations on getting the Scorpio-N home. Wishing you lacs of happy and safe kms on it Interesting comparison there, between the SN and the Fortuner - looks like Mahindra was not kidding when they said "Let us take on the D segment". Good to know that our homegrown SUV-maker is taking on the undisputed king of SUVs in India With the ever-rising price of the Fortuner, the Scorpio-N sure makes a very compelling case for itself as a VFM product. And you are spot on about the mStallion motor - I have it on my Thar and "silky" is the perfect adjective for it! If Mahindra had offered the Petrol S-N with 4XPLOR, I would have most certainly gone for it!

Happy motoring!
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 21:46   #3289
BHPian

My Scorpion N came from second service last week of December and from then i feel vehicle is very eager to leap forward. Mine is a Petrol Automatic. Without any accelerator input car moving bit fast, i see odometer showing 18km/h to 20km/h. I checked this in multiple places to confirm my assumption. As well, mileage dropped from 7.8kmpl in city to 6.8 kmpl
What are you observations? Is this normal or i need to take to garage to get it checked.
Old 18th January 2024, 11:18   #3290

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
My Scorpion N came from second service last week of December and from then i feel vehicle is very eager to leap forward. Mine is a Petrol Automatic. Without any accelerator input car moving bit fast, i see odometer showing 18km/h to 20km/h. I checked this in multiple places to confirm my assumption. As well, mileage dropped from 7.8kmpl in city to 6.8 kmpl
What are you observations? Is this normal or i need to take to garage to get it checked.
Better to get it checked. 20km/hr. without acceleration sounds a bit fast. I have Petrol AT, didn't feel any such change after the second service. The pickup is leaner without any sudden acceleration or thrust.
Car Enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 12:25   #3291

Hi BHPians,

I know this has been answered only like a Gazilion times earlier, however, I am confused between XUV7OO AX7 P M vs ScorpioN Z8L P M.

1. Are the mechanical and software niggles reported with S-N sorted in 2024?
2. If I book a Z8L will I be getting a 2023 manufactured car since what I understand from past posts is that M&M produced Z8L in huge quantities compared with lower trims. Is it overpriced?
3. Mind says XUV700 for the gadgets and third row space + flat boot but Heart says ScorpioN because of it being potentially the last proper BoF RWD SUV that I will be able to own in this budget. This will be the first SUV/Big car in our family EVER so it's very special for us. Wife loved the tall driving position too and wants a proper SUV.
4. I am sure about Petrol since my yearly run will not exceed 15k kms. But should I consider Diesel? Will it not demand more maintenance cost if its parked most of the times?
5. I also want the S-N Z8L 2024 manufactured model since I guess that will come with flat boot. Someone mentioned that the uneven boot design has been resolved in one of the past posts which is sort of a weird ask I know but I think the flat boot is more practical for carrying luggage.
6. Heart also says Z8L instead of Z8 because of the music system. Not an audiophile but who doesn't love great music while driving.
7. Though I am based out of HYD, since TS doesn't have BH registration available, thinking of buying from Ahmedabad (my hometown). Is it possible to buy from HYD and just register as BH series in Ahmedabad? Does anyone know any agency or agent who can do this? Otherwise buy from Ahmedabad and drive to Hyderabad also sounds very tempting.
8. Would love to catch up with fellow BHPians from HYD if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by deveshshukla53 : 18th January 2024 at 12:54.
deveshshukla53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 13:50   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinbie2019 View Post
Without any accelerator input, 18-20kmph is a bit too much. Will be a problem in B2B traffic. Better to get it checked.

Mine is a Z8 P AT, and it crawls at 8-10kmph without accelerator input.
Repsol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 19:17   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshshukla53 View Post
Hi BHPians,

I know this has been answered only like a Gazilion times earlier, however, I am confused between XUV7OO AX7 P M vs ScorpioN Z8L P M.

Thanks!
1. Most known niggles of the scorpio N have been sorted and also the flat boot. Even 2023 models are coming with a flat boot and BS 6.2
2. Both the cars have a mighty presence on the road. What differs mostly is the comfort due to Monocoque/BOF. It is basically a heart/head decision. I would suggest to do it by elimination on basis of you personal requirements eg 4x4, Music System, Comfort.
3. Test drive both and see what your heart loves better
sand-dune96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:12   #3294
BHPian

Quote:

6. Heart also says Z8L instead of Z8 because of the music system. Not an audiophile but who doesn't love great music while driving.

Thanks!
Have Sony Home Theatres at home, I found that the Z8 music system to be quite good actually. Paying ~1L extra for Sony Music system for a debatable audio experience upgrade was bit too much to digest for me.
mk600 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:30   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

1. Engine- Both SUVs have GREAT engines. The Toyota has grunt and raw power with a terrific midrange. The Scorpio is smooth as silk! There have been many instances where I just could not tell if the engine is running, it is so smooth, silent and vibe free. The MStallion is a FAST motor and masks speeds very well. Before you know it you are at 100 plus but it seems as if the car is doing 60-70. Kudos to M&M for this motor, and this motor alone makes it worth buying the Scoprio or the XUV petrol!
---
4. Interior quality- the materials used in both are at par, with some good finishes and some obvious cost cutting. Passenger comfort in the front is at par. Middle row in the Scorpio is way better both in terms of seat comfort, and the ride quality.
Congratulations on your majestic purchase! Reading your experience and review, certainly does make me question snarky comments like "Scorpio is poor man's Fortuner choice"

I echo your thoughts on FAST ICE engines from M&M, this also true for D-AT. The pick up is amazing for a vehicle of its size, especially in its Zoom mode. Also for D-AT, and the NVH levels are significantly reduced compared to a VW/Audi/Suzuki Diesel sedan. The stability and ride quality in high speeds on highways are great as well. Drove XUV-700 and Scorpio on broken roads back to back, and honestly could not find any difference driving experience.

But interiors I feel is a bit dated in Scorpio and not of great quality (unlike Fortuner). There are sharp cuts on an overall hard plastic on the door trims and steering wheel rear, the storage space under the dashboard looks flimsy, a meak looking parking brake that feels will break off anytime, large bezels on the Infotainment Screen reminds me of TVs from 1990s, buttons on the MID is functionally great but looks like designed in the 1950s.

Last edited by mk600 : 18th January 2024 at 22:37.
mk600 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:35   #3296

Hello all,

I am a proud owner of Scorpio N 4Xplor AT in Deep Forest color, which I bought in Dec 2023. The car is manufactured in Sep 2023.
I wanted to bring to the notice of the forum the peculiar issue I faced today. I went in for my 1st Complimentary Service after covering 1155 km in the last one month. I booked an 10 am slot on 18 Jan '24 via the M4U app at United Mahindra Service Center, Faridabad. As I expected this to be a brief service, I carried my work laptop and also made plans for the day, but to my dismay, it wasn't to be.
I rolled in around 10.15 am, 18 Jan '24 and got the job card punched with the following issues I wanted to be addressed:
1. Apple car play update
2. Khat khat khrrr noise when the steering is rotated to the extreme left and right when the car is stationary
3. Front camera blacking out
4. Pre-delivery Paint chip issues to be rectified

The Issue:
The car lined up for the service around 11 am with the delivery time of 12.30 pm, but before lunch, when I asked for an update the floor manager told me that the Apple Car Play update was successful although there was some software issue when they flashed the update for Mapple update and they have disconnected the battery and trying to troubleshoot the issue.
When I asked for further details, I got to know the car's engine check light had lit up and the car ignition wouldn't start. I visited the service floor to find the car hoisted on the lift and the technicians inspecting the car from beneath, probably looking at the wire and sensors connected to the engine.
Again being reassured that this is not a thing to be worried about and they are trying to fix it as soon as possible as it is probably a bug. They did say they hadn't faced such an issue before.

The ordeal:
Hours kept passing by and every time I asked for an update the standard answer was 'we have shared the logs with the Mahindra technical team over the Tech Portal and awaiting their response" This status remained till the end of the day.
Finally at around 6.30 pm being pissed off about the 1st service turning into a fiasco, I raised my concern with the service centre head (not disclosing names for now). He called in the customer rep gave him a piece of his mind, and shared his number with me so that he would follow up with me personally. He asked me to go home and arranged for a car to drop me home assuring me he would get the car ready and delivered to my home possibly tonight. Later when I got home the service centre head called me saying that the team couldn't troubleshoot the issue yet as the revert from the Tech portal hasn't come in yet and I should wait for an update from him tomorrow while explaining to me that he can only answer all my queries when he gets the RCA for the issue.

Now I am at a fix and want to get fellow TeamBhpians' views on how to deal with this ordeal.
What could be the possible issue? Has anyone faced a similar issue? what should be my next steps?

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast : 18th January 2024 at 22:58.
Auto Enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 22:41   #3297

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk600 View Post
Have Sony Home Theatres at home, I found that the Z8 music system to be quite good actually. Paying ~1L extra for Sony Music system for a debatable audio experience upgrade was bit too much to digest for me.
Unfortunately none of the dealers are able to offer a TD for either Z8 or AX7. Seems like they are deliberately trying to push Luxury pack trims. So you're saying Z8/AX7's set up of 4 speakers and 2 tweeters is good enough?
Old 19th January 2024, 01:09   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately none of the dealers are able to offer a TD for either Z8 or AX7. Seems like they are deliberately trying to push Luxury pack trims. So you're saying Z8/AX7's set up of 4 speakers and 2 tweeters is good enough?
I did get a chance to ride the 700 ax5 version. Although the person had additional amplifier installed the sound did seem good enough to me since I am used to a JBL Flip 3 in my humble Alto

All I could describe to you is that the 12 speaker setup is more filling, like it is coming from all around you (similar to wearing a pair of headphones). With the 4+2 setup the speakers are in the door bottom and 2 tweeters on the A pillar. It shall be a nice experience depending on your past experience reference point. Whether the sound experience warrants an additional 1 lac or whether you would spend that 1 lac for a 4x4 upgrade is entirely upto you.

Speakers you can always get aftermarket, 4x4 you cannot
sand-dune96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 21:32   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly for my tastes the level of bass/fidelity is more than enough for listening to Radio, Spotify or Youtube Music. I am not looking for thumping bass (or for that matter a noise cancelling studio like experience or a home-theatre cinematic experience while listening to music-but which I may want for watching Netflix movies at home).

So my personal taste the Z8's audio setup is more than pleasant to listen to music, while paying adequate attention to road.
mk600 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 23:01   #3300
BHPian

I got my car refueled today when it was showing distance to empty as 3 kms. For some reason couldn't get it done earlier.

Even after that the full tank was reached in 49.5 litres. This was auto cut. The tank limit is said to be 57 litres.

So is the distance to empty on my car showing incorrect info or is it an intentional move from Mahindra?

Last edited by Nightmare : 19th January 2024 at 23:02. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks