Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 22:24   #301
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So now, in 2022, why can’t they provide a base variant of the Scorpio N with none of the gadgetry and technological electronic wizardry, except for functional things like the 6 seat configuration, TPMS, Navigation and a basic sound system but with the all important safety kit and functional kit like 4WD, traction control, ESP and so on?

If they would make a Z4 Plus version with all of the above and with steel wheels, along with a choice of MT or AT, it would provide super value to the utility focused consumer.

And why is it that the 4WD is not being given to consumers who want to opt for the Z8L 6 seater version rather than the 7 seater? Anyway we all know that the last row is all but redundant.

Somehow I always feel their marketing department or whoever the powers that are, who decide these features and variants, need to come out of their ivory towers once in a while and listen to common people who are more function focused than gizmo focussed.

It is about time Mahindra brought out a car configurator and allowed people to ‘build their own Scorpio’. Including all the accessories and tyres and all. That would indeed be the icing on the cake.
As much as we want to have the option of BYOV (Build Your Own Vehicle), we know it's not going to happen in the near future considering it's sellers market for the time being and will remain so for the next few quarters. And those ivory tower marketing guys have all the data about customer behavior and propensity to buy and they will milk it to the T. Thanks to the feature list (which is skewed in favor of high end variants), Mahindra knows that it will get 70% of the bookings for Z8 and Z8L variants so why offer those functionalities (Safety, 4x4 etc.) at variants which are priced few lacs below?

And regarding Z8L (6 seater) not offered in 4x4, I don't understand the quirky logic. Perhaps there's image in marketing guys mind that an overweight "Sahib" sitting in the captain seat would not like to off-road. For that matter, even Innova Crysta top end AT (with airbags etc.) is not offered in the middle row bench seater variant.
TSIched'Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 22:42   #302
BHPian

Quote:

The gears are a bit ‘long throw’ and with this slightly tall gearing, in the city of Bangalore with its abundant narrow village roads and broken surfaces and bumpy bits and elephantine speed breakers, I never really got past third gear.
Thanks for this review. How did you find the clutch? Was it very light? How long was the clutch travel? Mahindra manuals I have driven so far had long clutch travel e.g. xuv300, marazzo, TUV.
Old 7th July 2022, 22:50   #303
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Definitely a light clutch. I am tall with long legs so the clutch travel wasn’t an issue for me but yes, it is a bit long. The braking is very good. 4 disc brakes really do the job well.
But the piece de resistance has to be the suspension tuning and those Frequency Dependent Dampers. They really do their job excellently.
The Scorpio N is a worthy beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
Thanks for this review. How did you find the clutch? Was it very light? How long was the clutch travel? Mahindra manuals I have driven so far had long clutch travel e.g. xuv300, marazzo, TUV.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 23:30   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post
Again for the Hyderabad folks...Am told it is available at Automotive Motors Panjagutta but not at Trimulgherry branch.
Black color Z8 manual available for viewing at Automotive-Trimulgherry.XUV700 blue also present.

Queries: Is it possible to get it booked on company lease? Getting conflicting responses from dealership..one said book in personal name now'and can convert to lease once allotted while another said not possible.

What is the expected mileage of Petrol AT in city and highway?There would be sufficient data now since there are many XUV 700 owners and ScorpioN shares the same engine.

Also would it be better to add to Cart and book directly or ask the dealership to do it? I mean wrt.getting in the first 25000 list.If one does himself,he/she can do it at say 11 am when the booking opens while the dealer will have multiple entries to be made.

Any pics/ video of Scorpio N in silver colour?

Last edited by Ram78 : 7th July 2022 at 23:35.
Old 7th July 2022, 23:33   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
How long was the clutch travel? Mahindra manuals I have driven so far had long clutch travel e.g. xuv300, marazzo, TUV.
It is long, similar to what you have observed for other models.

I have been driving AMT and have driven a few manuals like BRV and Figo, and Maruti's. The test drive of the XUV 300 manual was uncomfortable, and similar clutch travel was observed on stationary Scorpio-n.

I am glad that there is no Automatic stop-start function in Scorpio-n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram78 View Post

Any pics/ video of Scorpio N in silver colour?

Not yet. When asked about color, I was told it would be similar to XUV 700 silver.

Last edited by KumarS : 7th July 2022 at 23:57. Reason: Back to back post
KumarS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 00:48   #306
BHPian

The lower trims feature distribution is interesting.

For eg: There's a 1 lakh difference between Z4 and Z6 diesel manuals. For the extra money, you get traction control, hill hold, ESP in safety kit. And Adrenox, sunroof, TFT screen in instrument cluster in gizmos (as far as i can see).

But Z4 automatic gets the same safety kit as Z6 manual. If they price the auto at a 1 lakh premium (@ 14.99), then Z4 auto will be same price as Z6 manual with the same safety features and minus the gizmos. In that case, it will be the variant for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20220708.png  

Last edited by naru80 : 8th July 2022 at 01:01.
naru80 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 06:02   #307
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio N does indeed have the Auto Start/ Stop function. It isn't as irritating though as what I experienced in a Manual Transmission VW Polo in Australia a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
I am glad that there is no Automatic stop-start function in Scorpio-n.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 06:19   #308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the Scorpio they wouldn’t offer 4WD also easily. One had to order it specially and it was only available on the DX and later the GLX and VLX versions, never on the lower variants. And the Scorpio never had split foldable rear seats.
The Scorpio in the refresh version did come with an option of 4x4 on the LX version.
Old 8th July 2022, 07:08   #309
Senior - BHPian

Much much later Ben. Way after I bought and sold mine. And this version was only available during a short window of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The Scorpio in the refresh version did come with an option of 4x4 on the LX version.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 09:20   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
That's a really great thought, and it would be brilliant if the mass market car manufacturers could make this a reality.

If laptops can be configured, why not cars.

IIRC, a few years ago, I had read somebody's Porsche car review. The guy had got his car configured to his liking.
Because laptops can't kill you.
Old 8th July 2022, 09:30   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Because laptops can't kill you.
So why does Porsche offer configuration? Are they out there to kill ?
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 09:33   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So now, in 2022, why can’t they provide a base variant of the Scorpio N with none of the gadgetry and technological electronic wizardry, except for functional things like the 6 seat configuration, TPMS, Navigation and a basic sound system but with the all important safety kit and functional kit like 4WD, traction control, ESP and so on?...If they would make a Z4 Plus version with all of the above and with steel wheels, along with a choice of MT or AT, it would provide super value to the utility focused consumer.
Though I wished for it, frankly was surprised that Mahindra even gave a 4x4 option in the Z4 variant.

In addition to ESP and traction control, wished they also gave the other off-roading hardware stuff to the Z4. No need for the off-road modes, but they could have given the BLD and MLD to the Z4 4x4 variant.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 09:37   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
So why does Porsche offer configuration? Are they out there to kill ?
Mahindra would too if you are willing to pay a price of a Porsche for it.

Line dynamics is very difficult. Let Mahindra or first deliver a niggle free product.

The risk of laptops vs that of a car is significantly different. While on the face, it seems that it is just an addition of the 4WD system/captain seats, it requires a different chassis/body, electronics, routings and compliance to the related stuff which if users pay would make an interesting business case.

Could you tell me the configuration and your willingness to extra pay for it?

Take a base variant and load the features and the add the additional price you would buy it for
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 09:51   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Take a base variant and load the features and the add the additional price you would buy it for
Precisely what I would have said.

Or take a mid variant with ability to add or delete features could be another way.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 8th July 2022 at 09:54.
Old 8th July 2022, 09:52   #315
BHPian

I am also inclined towards the Z4 with 4x4. Would prefer Manual Transmission as compared to Automatic but then price would be the king. I recall that in Scorpio and TUV300, people have installed MLD from Eaton and for sure, there will be something of this kind that we will also see for "Scorpio-N" 9 (ahem ahem). Z8 + AT + 4x4 will be expensive for sure, my birdie told me that it will cost around 22L to 23L onroad in Himachal.

Also wanted to share with you guys that the registration cost till now is 6% flat in Himachal. When I got my Thar, I paid 6% & this was back in Feb 2022.

While checking on BLD , What is a brake lock differential?
In addition to controlling how fast the driven wheels are spinning, there is a feature of brake traction control that controls wheel speed side to side across a driven axle and is called BLD, or “brake lock differential.” BLD does not care how fast the wheels are turning, just that they are turning at the same speed.

I have not been in a stuck situation yet with Thar or chose the ground/turf carefully but wanted to see if on TeamBHP, once the Open Diff vs MLD vs the 4x4 with both MLD/BLD are tested. Really waiting on a detailed analysis from TeamBHP so that I can make a decision, whether to upgrade or not.
swunkjyn is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks