Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 18:20   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
That is because I travel alone most often and so prefer a comfortable ride to increased fuel consumption.

Has anyone found a way around this issue and if so please enlighten me.
Increased fuel consumption is not the issue, AFAIK underinflated tyres will heat up rapidly. This might lead to situations like catastrophic failures as mentioned by Cresterk. In fact I always go long drives with tyres overinflated by 1-2 psi even with Nitrogen. Contrary to popular belief, slight overinflation will keep tyres cool.

Ref. workaround, I don't have a ScorpioN, my current ride is the XUV700. The previous one was the XUV500. Like you, I too used to drive solo and the ride was hard in 500. The trick(!) I used was refilling the fuel to full tank immediately when it reach the halfway mark. Essentially I kept the fuel level between 55 and 100 percent.
The weight of the diesel fuel plus its location - almost rearmost - keeps the car planted to the road, in my observation. Cannot comment on the behavior of the ScorpioN but you should give it a try. An additional benefit is the time and cost saved from the frequent trips for refueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I would say to follow the recommended tyre pressure.
sandeepmdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 19:59   #3122
BHPian

October 2023: Mahindra Scorpio beats Hyundai Creta in sales

"SUVs continue to see an uptick in sales during October 2023 and all the SUVs sold during the month have seen a positive YoY growth...The Mahindra Scorpio takes fourth place with 13,578 unit sales in October, posting an 83 percent growth, beating the Hyundai Creta to fourth place." https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...sales/3299988/

Sure the Creta is due for a update in 2024, but this an achievement for any other SUV in India!

While we have been recently hearing a lot about newly launched Safari, Harrier, and their comparisons with Hycross and XUV700 which are all monocoque, the Scorpio-N (and a mix of Scorpio Classic) is quietly stealing the thunder. Feel that the Scorpio-N sells more because it has a brand loyalty, it is commanding and offers value for money. Possibly, also because it is low on frequently fickle electronics compared to its brother the XUV700. For sure, have been lately seeing them quite a lot in dense urban areas of Bangalore as well.
mk600 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 23:33   #3123

re: October 2023: Mahindra Scorpio beats Hyundai Creta in sales

If too many of SUVs of this size continue to be on road in dense areas, I feel that's not a good news. Leave aside the road part, I have seen many such SUVs parked in society parkings with complete disregard to inconvenience to fellow residents who happen to have parkings beside them. While I have nothing against this trend as long as buyers are sensible drivers and sensible 'parkers', but if its usually the otherwise, such are indeed bad news.
Anijsh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 07:44   #3124
BHPian

Posted this note (October 2023: Mahindra Scorpio beats Hyundai Creta in sales) that Scorpio-N is climbing up in sales since delivery started a year back, and now beat Creta sales. Why do you think so?
Old 9th November 2023, 07:47   #3125
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: October 2023: Mahindra Scorpio beats Hyundai Creta in sales

A truly made in India model that has clicked amongst SUV buyers and has emerged among the Indian success stories of the new millennium. The model is 21 (introduced in 2002) and still rocks with its refreshes and revamps over the two decades. In fact, during the worst of times the Scorpio and Bolero were Mahindra's bread and butter whereas multiple new launches came, could not conquer and slowly vanished. The Xylo is a case in point. In early 2009 the Xylo had a six month waiting list, while the Scorpio and Bolero were available off the shelf. The XUV 500 and Marazzo were and now the XUV 700 are newbies in the Scorpio niche. Some of these were aimed at the MPV space as Innova beaters, but Mahindra was beaten in its game. Let us see how the XUV 700 fares in the coming years.

But the monthly sales figures where Scorpio has outsold Creta will have to be observed on a long term basis. For October 2023, an analogy could be drawn from the game of roulette, where this whirling wheel after a good spin, joyfully amusing Mahindra, has stopped at the Scorpio.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th November 2023 at 07:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:38   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2023: Mahindra Scorpio beats Hyundai Creta in sales

The sales figure includes both Scorpio Classic and Scorpio N. Scorpio Classic used to do 3-4k sales even before Scorpio N was launched. Scorpio N is clearly a great success and deserves all the attention it gets. But combining the sales of two different cars to claim it beat Creta sales seems unfair. Scorpio N vs Creta is the real battle. They belong to the same price segment and there will be cross shopping.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 08:47   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I would say to follow the recommended tyre pressure. Overinflated tyres will cause a bumpier ride but under inflating the tyres isn’t going to be more comfortable than driving at the right pressure. It will however increase the chances of a tyre burst and uneven wear. The only way to making a car more comfortable is changing suspension components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Increased fuel consumption is not the issue, AFAIK underinflated tyres will heat up rapidly. This might lead to situations like catastrophic failures as mentioned by Cresterk. In fact I always go long drives with tyres overinflated by 1-2 psi even with Nitrogen. Contrary to popular belief, slight overinflation will keep tyres cool.
Agreed. Not to mention the value of the low pressure alarm. It was a lifesaver on a road trip recently when I had a leak in 1 tire and there was no visual or ride quality indicator even though the pressure had dropped to 25 psi.
Old 16th November 2023, 20:55   #3128
BHPian

Hello members,

I have booked Z8 4*4 D-MT variant yesterday. I have following questions, and I would really appreciate if forum members can put light on it.

1. the vehicle comes with 17"-inch steel wheels, is it recommended to get 18"inch alloys or 17"inch alloys? is the speed calibrated for each variant according to their Rim size or upgrading to factory spec alloys doesn't require any calibration?

2. is there a provision for dead pedal in manual variants?

3. I am aware about parking sensors. However, can we have front camera installed as an accessory from the dealer?

4. Has anyone experienced any issues during low to medium off-road sessions where during wheel articulation it was brushing the wheel well?

5. Which Tyres are best for all season driving? Are stock Tyres sufficient for touring purpose with a family of 7?

6. Can Pune folks please comment on the dealership experience with Sahyadri motors (Baner)?

Thanks,
Sanjay
Sanjay_Sangar27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 09:58   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay_Sangar27 View Post

2. is there a provision for dead pedal in manual variants?

3. I am aware about parking sensors. However, can we have front camera installed as an accessory from the dealer?

4. Has anyone experienced any issues during low to medium off-road sessions where during wheel articulation it was brushing the wheel well?

6. Can Pune folks please comment on the dealership experience with Sahyadri motors (Baner)?
Can help you with few of the questions as I own the same variant.

#2 There is a small dead pedal sort of thing already available. However I highly doubt if you can retrofit dead pedal in the limited space

#3 Unfortunately there is no front camera available as accessory. I had checked with the service center. Their official accessories list pdf also doesn't have it.

#4 Have done some mild trail runs which required 4H however did not observe any issues.

#6 I had a very good experience with Sahyadri motors
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 00:46   #3130
BHPian

Re: Obervations after a long test drive

A close friend of mine has picked up a Z8 Mahindra Scorpio N at 29L on road Bangalore. Took it for a spin along with him to Kolar and back today. From a hatchback owner's perspective, I will jot down whatever I felt first hand.

Pros:
Road presence is definitely felt, this is not a Nexon/Creta/Brezza feel, this is way beyond that. People, cars, autos no one wants to come anywhere near our bonnet/path.
Sunroof is one touch and feels nice
Road view is nice, seated high and XXXL size rear view mirrors are awesome
I drove on narrow road of Banaswadi, twisting broken roads of Rampura, NH to Kolar, rumble strips - this does not scare someone so easily - adapting to this car from even small car wont be so difficult

Interiors - This is nowhere like what you expect from Mahindra. I have driven the S10, old Scorpio, this is too good to be called a Scorpio.
Ergonomics are spot on, dual zone climate zone for front row is nice, wireless apple play works flawless, cabin lighting does not poke your eye, space is plenty, cabin is well insulated from engine and road noise.

Exteriors:
Buses and trucks don't look that big/dominating when you view it from this car. As this itself is pretty big, bigger than most of our expectations.
Low beam and high beam - both are excellent, I don't think anyone needs immediate upgrades from stock, unless you are used to some modified headlamps in your previous ride.
Silent, smooth engine, refinement levels of the diesel car is too good and people may get fooled for it to be a petrol car.

Cons:
Tires are 18 inches and hence when you replace them, it's a 20K bill per piece.
Although car feels planted, it's only till 80-90 kmph, post that everyone in the car knows you are pushing it beyond its stable speeds. At 100-110 even the minutest direction change will make your co driver anxious.
Ingress and Egress are a challenge for anyone who is aged/short/fat/ wearing saree type dresses. Use of arms to hold to grab handles is needed, just foot movements alone won't be enough.

The idle start/stop function is messed up in this AT variant.
If you are in D mode and stop for a few seconds, engine shuts off, then when you let the brake pedal go, the engine kind of holds clutch and starts the engine, immediately engages the D mode, making a mild jerk and you have to put conscious effort to not move and bump the car ahead.

Although I understand that tall cars cannot be pushed too hard on higher speeds, it surprises that after spending so much money, we cannot comfortably cruise at triple digit speeds. Although not comparing it directly, but my tiny spark/even Ignis feels more connected to the road and predictable than this car.

Who does this suit well?
1. Someone who wants to munch miles without much effort
2. Someone who wants to drive over most humps without slowing down
3. If you want to travel fatigue free 500+kms
4. Travel over varied surfaces with no care for size of hump/pothole.
5. Chauffeur driven families

Who might skip this?
1. Someone who likes to drive fast
2. If you want to drive on highway curves above 80 kmph
3. Mileage sensitive people
4. People who always want to overtake a lot

Disclaimer:
No offence meant to any existing owner/fans of Scorpio, just shared my observations.

Last edited by SS80 : 19th November 2023 at 00:51.
SS80 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 10:47   #3131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Who might skip this?
1 - I have driven a diesel MT version and I am a little surprised. It is a pretty fast vehicle for its size. You can drive it at triple-digit speeds all day (not recommended though).
2 - Again, it is one of the better-handling full-sized SUVs' out there. It is no XUV but I have personally driven it at 100-120 km/hr on highways without any issues. Just don't expect it take sharp turns without scaring you.
3 - The MT version is surprisingly efficient for its weight and power. I managed to extract ~14 km/l on a highway run without worrying too much about it.
4 - Funnily enough, Creta and Scorpio are the two vehicles that are always the most keen on overtaking on our roads. Perhaps its the ego of the owners taking the wheel.
Old 20th November 2023, 12:09   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
A close friend of mine has picked up a Z8 Mahindra Scorpio N at 29L on road Bangalore. Took it for a spin along with him to Kolar and back today. From a hatchback owner's perspective, I will jot down whatever I felt first hand.

Who does this suit well?
1. Someone who wants to munch miles without much effort
2. Someone who wants to drive over most humps without slowing down
3. If you want to travel fatigue free 500+kms
4. Travel over varied surfaces with no care for size of hump/pothole.
5. Chauffeur driven families

Who might skip this?
I would like to contest the 5th point—for chauffeur-driven families. On the contrary, in my opinion, it's purely a driver's car, meant strictly for first-row comfort. Second-row occupants are tossed around, unless you are driving very slowly over potholes and bad roads.

Also, 120–130 kmph is not scary on open highways; it just takes time to adjust your driving style.
rahuldevnath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 12:45   #3133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
1 - I have driven a diesel MT version and I am a little surprised. It is a pretty fast vehicle for its size. You can drive it at triple-digit speeds all day (not recommended though).
2 - Again, it is one of the better-handling full-sized SUVs' out there. It is no XUV but I have personally driven it at 100-120 km/hr on highways without any issues. Just don't expect it take sharp turns without scaring you.
3 - The MT version is surprisingly efficient for its weight and power. I managed to extract ~14 km/l on a highway run without worrying too much about it.
4 - Funnily enough, Creta and Scorpio are the two vehicles that are always the most keen on overtaking on our roads. Perhaps its the ego of the owners taking the wheel.
I agree. Diesel AT box is also fuel efficient ( its very sensitive to throttle input, slight hard acceleration drops the mileage ). I drive Z4 diesel AT, I am able to get 18-19kmpl on the highways with cruise control ON, 14-16 on mixed conditions and 10-12kmpl strictly in city traffic.
This SUV is not for racing or any SUV for that matter. But, its handling is good and predictable. Scorpio-N never had body roll issue on winding roads of Coorg/Charmadi/Agumbe Ghats which I had a lot with my Ritz.
sulliavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 16:46   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldevnath View Post

Also, 120–130 kmph is not scary on open highways; it just takes time to adjust your driving style.
I owned XUV 700 for 1.5 years,sold it to buy Scorpio N for the only reason of road presence and its butch looks. XUV 700 was a Bullet. Surprisingly, the seats of scorpio N are better suited for long journeys.

Max covered 500 kms on xuv700 in a day and felt tired after that,drove scorpio N through night and day for 1200 kms and it was not at all tiring.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img20230517wa0011.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img20231119wa0038.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 20th November 2023 at 18:44. Reason: Spacing; Rule #11
Gaddibuddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 22:17   #3135
BHPian

The max fuel that I have managed to get into my car is around 45 litres. And this is when the meter was showing that I could go only 20 KMs or so on current fuel.

The tank is 57 litres. Thats a discrepancy of 12 litres. Is the meter showing incorrect number or am I missing something?
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks