Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2023, 17:40   #3061
BHPian

Re: 9D Mats for Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
I first purchased a set of 7D mats from Amazon and didn't like the general fit/conformity of the mats so returned them and ordered a set of "9D" Mats...
What is the condition of your 9D mat. I have 5D mat from mahindra and there is no coverage on dead pedal, due to this the original carpet has gone faded and looks really bad. Looking for a good set of mat.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2023 at 18:21. Reason: trimmed quote
Old 14th October 2023, 23:53   #3062

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Also, If we use it while the AC is running then will it not have any long-term impact on the engine with the car starting with the AC turned ON?
I believe the AC turns off when the engine shuts down in this mode, and once it restarts so does the AC.
Old 15th October 2023, 10:55   #3063
BHPian

Re: 9D Mats for Scorpio-N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
What is the condition of your 9D mat. I have 5D mat from mahindra and there is no coverage on dead pedal, due to this the original carpet has gone faded and looks really bad. Looking for a good set of mat.
I have been using the 3D Pharaoh mats for my AT for 2 months now. A bit expensive but very good in foot rest, feeling, contours and covers the dead pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231015-10.52.09-am.jpeg  

mk600 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 19:18   #3064

Driving Z6 D MT So far..
Hello fellow ScorpioN owners,

Prologue: I have been a long term (non-member) reader of the TeamBHP blogs for all my wheels including a Ford Figo, Suzuki Ertiga, Yamaha R15 and BMW 310GS as well as casual reading on travel and reviews. A heartfelt thanks for all the good reads and all the previous posts in this thread that helped me zero in on the ScorpioN. So here I am, as a member, writing my first post to share my experience.

I will tell you this, I was not in the market for a bulky rowdy SUV, and ScorpioN was the last car on my mind. So here goes the roller coaster of events that landed me on ScorpioN..

With the aging 2010 petrol Ford Figo due for a replacement, I was out looking for the next family car. I was initially open to a pre-loved car but my family managed to convince me to go for a brand new one.

The criteria that I had set for the car hunt was -
  • Budget of ~18-20 Lacs.
  • Maximum possible safety features I can afford in the budget (high on priority).
  • Non-demanding driver friendly car (I’m not a regular commuter but my father and sister are. So, a car with ease of drivability was a must).
  • Preferably 7-seater or a spacious 5-seater.
  • Good ASC support and network.
  • Good ground clearance (Got traumatized due to my Figo scraping the bottom at every speed breaker and pothole... So much so that the gearbox had chipped off on a horrible patch).
  • Should not run out of breath on bad roads and hills (Some traveling to my native place with broken roads).
  • Good highway stability and acceptable fuel efficiency (Lot of family road trips planned around India).
  • Should give a premium experience for the passengers (the reason for targeting mid to top variants... Base variants were out of question)
As I wanted to be well informed before walking into any of the showrooms, after a lot of research, peer discussions and quite a lot of man-hours spent on YT & TBHP, I stepped out one fine weekend with my wife for some showroom visits.

Below is a list of all the cars considered in the sequence of which test drives were taken (going to try and keep this short):
  • MG Astor – I was absolutely and blindly in love with this car and was sure I will end up buying this for its very stylish design, class-leading premium interiors (esp. the panoramic sunroof), sturdy build quality. But the test drive of the CVT & MT variant was very disappointing, it simply lacked the punch for a 1.5L inline-4. Additionally, my wife felt the cabin was narrow as it tapered towards the front. Also, the rear row was not suitable for 3 adults.
  • MG Hector – Great premium SUV design and spacious on the inside. User FE reviews were very discouraging, and the center console was not easy to use to say the least, I prefer physical toggles and dials.
  • VW Taigun / VW Virtus – Loved both the cars in Curcuma Yellow and test driving the GT DSG variants slapped a huge stupid smile on my face. Rejected the VWs as rear row for Taigun was not suitable for 3 adults and Virtus was not roof rack compatible (if ever needed a top box).
  • Skoda Kushaq / Slavia – Liked Kushaq over Taigun for its design. I did not bother with a test drive as the engine was already tested in VW counterparts. Rejected for similar space issues in the rear row like VWs, and anyways liked the VWs better for their design.
  • Hyryder/ Grand Vitara – The design and true hybrid drivetrain was very appealing at first. However, in reality it was a rude shock to see how poor the quality of interior was for a 20 lac+ “SUV”. Further, the test drive of the hybrid wasn’t doing it any favors.. I could hear every small pebble hitting the underbody. Final nail in the coffin was the horrible shrill noise the 3-cylinder made during quick overtakes. Absolutely disappointing when compared with the beautiful Honda City Hybrid. Hyryder in comparison did not seem worth at all.
  • Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta – Liked Seltos facelift over the outgoing Creta for design. Rejected both by family for safety concerns and design preference.
Note: At this point we were leaning more towards Taigun and weren’t seriously considering D segment SUVs.
  • Thar – Rejected for not being truly a family friendly car
  • ScorpioN – Just a quick look around of the show vehicle had us hooked, keeping aside the obvious size and commanding seating, what was really impressing was the quality/fit & finish of the relatively premium interior as well as comparatively softer design language compared to the classic. I was astonished after test driving the diesel AT & MT and Petrol AT. Having driven the classic on road trips in the past... I had little expectations from this one. However, in reality I was impressed with how easy it was to drive despite its size. The power, the confidence to drive without a care for bad roads, amazing suspension for rear passengers as well (unlike classic), very little body roll, stability at high speeds, short gear lever, smooth gear shifts, very light clutch, adaptive steering and low NVH levels were some of the many positives this car brought to the table. Most of all, I truly believed it truly suited all my needs with some of the most value for money mid variants.
  • XUV700 – A very premium car with better fit/finish than ScorpioN although the monocoque was not so great on the bad patches.
By this time after a lot of TDs over 2/3 weeks, we shifted our stance from C-SUVs that were only just squared up hatchbacks/coupes and almost all of them had abysmal rear row space. As well as decided to go for a MT just for the sheer pleasure of it, as most probably will have to buy another small EV to replace Ertiga in the near future anyways.
  • Tata Harrier / Safari - At onset we realized these two were the only true competitors to the ScorpioN. Boasting great design, interiors, build quality and the gem of a monocoque chassis there was no reason to not go for these. Except, during the test drive I realized the ORVMs were way too small for a car this size. Also, the overall view from the drivers was a bit hindered due to the tad bit low seating comparatively. Also, seemed overpriced considering facelift was due soon, and the dealership wouldn’t budge on any kind of discount. So these were eventually dropped.
ScorpioN Booking Experience
  • After doing a lot of back and forth.. whether to go for a diesel or a petrol, finally decided to book Z4 D MT (E) i.e. variant with ESP, Hill descent and traction control. ESP was a must for me as a safety feature due to the higher center of gravity of this beast.
  • Interesting thing is none of the dealers across India (Pune, Mumbai, Nashik, Chandigarh, Delhi) that I called had the E variant listed in their price lists. Surprisingly, none of them were even aware that such a variant exists. A couple dealers also tried to sell me the Non-E Z4 variant saying that ESP is now standard on Z4. I tried confirming this with Mahindra customer care and found that the Z4 (E) variant should be technically available with dealers as it was available to book online. An email complaint was lodged, although I got no response. However, this was a blessing in disguise as I would realize later.
  • Next best VFM option was Z6 D MT which I booked and had it delivered (non-intro price). The increased power, driving modes and Adrenox were all worth the premium over Z4.
Have been thoroughly enjoying driving the car since I got the delivery last month.

Much is to like about the ScorpioN so here are some misses / niggles that I feel are bugging me in the Z6 MT
  • Rear washer wasn't working from Day 1 (waiting for 1st service to resolve)
  • Vanity mirror and Auto IRVM are petty omissions.
  • Sorely miss the telescopic adjustment for steering.
  • The middle seat of the 2nd row is way too stiff to be comfortable.
  • Much has been said about the 3rd row already in this thread.
  • Zip mode seems to do little to increase FE in urban jungle, don’t understand the point of it, except for stop-n-go traffic maybe.
  • Rear camera that I bought as an official accessory is pathetic.
OEM/Aftermarket Accessories Installed -
  • Genuine Alloy Wheels (such a waste of good steel wheels though)
  • Official Rear Camera (useless)
  • Illuminating scuff plates (looks cool)
  • 3M flooring (carpets are nightmare to deep clean)
  • 3M underbody rust coating (Rust is car cancer, cannot go overboard with this)
  • Aftermarket (though Genuine) fog lamps – having weird issues where the fog lamp doesn’t turn off even after locking the car.. However, turning on the follow-me-home low beam from the key and then turning it off the same way seems to do the trick. I had a real panic attack with this one where I thought it was going to drain the battery. Also, with fog lamps being installed aftermarket I cannot find the option to turn the DRLs off/on through the infotainment system. Has anyone else faced this?
  • Aftermarket 75W LEDs, halogens were not good enough for the nighttime non-illuminated roads.
  • Aftermarket 70mai TPMS
  • Aftermarket parking sensors
  • Planning to get PPF done on the white ScorpioN soon, against very well-intentioned suggestions in the respective threads. More on this and car detailing later in a different post.
  • Seat covers and interior work pending
Note: The aftermarket work was done by Poona Motors in Pune (goes without saying I'm in no way affiliated), a bit overpriced but job well done.

PS: So happy to be a part of this engaging community and hope to learn more. Will be sharing few pictures soon.
hornokplease is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 20:04   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
I had booked the Z8 AT 4.2 in Jan’23 and initially the delivery date was showing in Mar24-Apr24. Later it got preponed to Dec23-Jan24. Surprisingly, yesterday the booking status was showing all steps are completed and the vehicle has reached at dealership though the date was not updated. Today the tracking status got reset to booking completed and there was no delivery date. Did anyone faced similar issue as Mahindra customer care was pushing me to check with the dealership.
Does anyone have Mahindra's Pune Regional sales manager email address as it seems my delivered vehicle is assigned to another customer without taking consent from me? The customer care committed a call back from the Sales team but no one has reached out to me.

Last edited by kumar7 : 15th October 2023 at 20:07.
kumar7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 09:02   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Does anyone have Mahindra's Pune Regional sales manager email address as it seems my delivered vehicle is assigned to another customer without taking consent from me? The customer care committed a call back from the Sales team but no one has reached out to me.
Send an email to customercare@mahindra.com with SYED.ABDULHANIF@mahindra.com in Cc, explicitly stating that you want to speak to the Regional sales manager about your concern.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 08:04   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand-dune96 View Post
Mine is Z8L 4x4 MT from Jan 23 batch. A recent visit to the ASC had the same prop shaft bolt replacement. However, due to lack of spare parts it was not done and was assured at the earliest possible opportunity.
What is this prop shaft bolt replacement ? Mine is a March 2023 manufactured Z8 4x4 AT. Do I need to get this done as well. I am sure my dealership will not proactively tell me I am eligible for it, if I actually am.

Last edited by anandkenkare : 17th October 2023 at 08:05. Reason: For more clarity
anandkenkare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 08:20   #3068
BHPian

It is the bolts on the axle transferring the power from the engine to rear wheels. Which bolt exactly, I am not aware because the job was not performed due to unavailability of the spare parts. My SA was not aware as to why this update was required. Your SA cannot hide it. When they enter the details of your vehicle into the system, they will automatically show the pending updates. Check it physically. I am not aware if we can check the same with With You Hamesha App.
sand-dune96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 16:14   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornokplease View Post
Driving Z6 D MT So far..
OEM/Aftermarket Accessories Installed -
Official Rear Camera (useless)
Can you please share samples showcasing the output and let us know how much interior dismantling was required to install the camera. It would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old 21st October 2023, 11:48   #3070

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My 4-months-old "new" car refused to start this morning. It was found that the battery was drained and showing 10.1 V in the meter.
It was jump-started by another battery and I kept the engine ON for half an hour post that.

After jump starting, the car had "Check Engine Light" ON in the dashboard. I took a short test drive it was behaving normally, the acceleration was as usual (no limp mode etc).
I connected an OBD device and cleared the error messages. after that, CEL light has gone.
Please advice what could be root cause of the battery drain.
HELP!

I have faced the exact same issue on my 1 month old Z6 MT, one fine day the battery was drained completely and the car had to be jump started. This was followed by a non-blinking OBD error on the dash.

Although the car has not gone in limp mode.

@ankan.m.blr did you face any issues thereafter? and could you please share the link of the OBD you used to clear the error code? As I am not sure if the generic Chinese OBDs will just read the error or clear it as well.
hornokplease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 12:34   #3071
BHPian

To anybody, in the know. Is there some mid-life facelift with more bells and whistle (better screen/Auto-IRVM/Electric Parking Brake/360* Cameras), mainly ADAS, in the works, for the ScorpioN?

Last edited by Zinger_Winger : 21st October 2023 at 12:36.
Zinger_Winger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 20:02   #3072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornokplease View Post
HELP!

I have faced the exact same issue on my 1 month old Z6 MT, one fine day the battery was drained completely and the car had to be jump started. This was followed by a non-blinking OBD error on the dash.

Although the car has not gone in limp mode.

@ankan.m.blr did you face any issues thereafter? and could you please share the link of the OBD you used to clear the error code? As I am not sure if the generic Chinese OBDs will just read the error or clear it as well.
Do you have any electrical accessories fitted? In my case, I have fitted front parking sensor and illuminated scuff plates. One of them I suspect somehow remained On and drained the battery.
Once the battery is fully drained, the fuel pumps and other electronics do not function and error messages are generated. Note that the CEL/OBD light is yellow and not red. You can purchase any decent ELM 327 scanner from Amazon. Before buying, check which app works with the scanner. The app should be able to read and delete error logs except Airbags and ABS module error logs. I got mine through a friend. I will share a photo of the device (right now the device is in the car parked outside the main gate of the apartment )
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 23:54   #3073

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Do you have any electrical accessories fitted? In my case, I have fitted front parking sensor and illuminated scuff plates.
Appreciate the help mate!

Yes, in addition to the two you have, I have also installed OEM DRL/fog lamps as well from an aftermarket installer. Although, the wiring is not provided by Mahindra yet so these garages have to make one on their own.

So these DRLs have been acting funky sometimes, where they do not turn off even when I lock the car. Also, there is no option to turn them off from the infotainment system as opposed to Z8s. (Will have to confirm if the software can be updated to include this.)

Coming to the check OBD light, it is yellow thankfully. So I'm hoping it is nothing more than an unfortunately drained battery throwing up all the errors. Checking battery and alternator is on the agenda.

As for the OBD II reader, I have placed an order for Vgate iCar Pro. Seemed most decent enough without burning a hole in the pocket, based on user review by other BHPians. It works with Torque, Dashcommand and a slew of other apps. Here's a link if anyone needs it - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XGBKG8X?...hk_typ_imgToDp
hornokplease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 18:50   #3074
BHPian

I did the PDI of Z8 AT D, the passenger side request sensor is missing and SM showed me another Z8 in stockyard as that also was not having passenger side request sensor.

Also the vehicle had aluminium colour foot step, I asked to replace it with black so SM said will check with Mahindra.

Lastly, boot door handle was black. Is it changed too?

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_9011.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_9016.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_9017.jpeg

Just a question, the speedometer was showing that vehicle driven 35km and dealer mentioned that vehicle just arrived. The question is that does foot step come fitted from plant now as it had already preinstalled Aluminum foot step? Am I thinking too much

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd October 2023 at 22:03. Reason: Back to back posts merged
kumar7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:41   #3075
BHPian

Need help with buying decision

Hi all,
I own a Safari Storme and I am looking at a replacement for it because of some or the other recurring issue with the vehicle (lot of it is documented here).

Now the natural replacement for it is the Scorpio N and I have taken multiple test drives of it and there are some concerns that I have and would need some input from owners here.

Ride Quality
Safari Storme, just like it's sibling Hexa has a fantastic ride quality. It rides flat and nothing sharp ever filters inside the cabin. This is despite it being a body on frame vehicle. I have had multiple test drives of the Scorpio N and found the ride to be very busy. There is continuous movement within the body. And the main thing is that my non car enthusiast mother and wife also can feel it.
Can some owner, preferably from Mumbai who drives the Scorpio N over the craters we call roads give inputs on ride quality?

AC
Storme has separate cooling coils for rear and they are top mounted, in addition to two blowers in the centre on the bottom. The AC can cool the vehicle in hottest of conditions comfortably.
Scorpio N has just two rear AC vents in between to cool the entire rear part of the vehicle. Are they effective in the heat of the northern parts of the country?

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks