Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 16:57   #3031
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

My 4-months-old "new" car refused to start this morning. It was found that the battery was drained and showing 10.1 V in the meter.
It was jump-started by another battery and I kept the engine ON for half an hour post that.
Car model: Scorpio N Z8 diesel manual.
Here are a few facts :
I went on a long drive on Sunday (~ 450 KM). The car was idle for 2 days (Monday & Tuesday) only.
There was no Headlight/Fog light/cabin lamp switched ON when the car was idle
I have 2 external electrical fittings (both fitted by the dealer during delivery). A pair of Illuminated Scuff Plates & a front parking sensor.
After jump starting, the car had "Check Engine Light" ON in the dashboard. I took a short test drive it was behaving normally, the acceleration was as usual (no limp mode etc
).
I connected an OBD device and cleared the error messages. after that, CEL light has gone.
Please advice what could be root cause of the battery drain.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 27th September 2023 at 17:03.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 02:44   #3032

Dear Team BHPians

Is it normal for the disc to rust if the vehicle stands still for more than a day in rain?

In my Scorpio N, I saw the rust in the break disc and spoke to Mahindra. They say it is cast iron and it tends to rust but it vanishes after we drive it. While I know how rusting happens, I am curious to know if this issue is common among all cars or is there a way to prevent rusting by using some kind of alloy or stainless material for discs?

Is anyone owing a car that gets wet in rain and still the disc is not rusting while the vehicle is in standstill?
Old 28th September 2023, 07:55   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My 4-months-old "new" car refused to start this morning. It was found that the battery was drained and showing 10.1 V in the meter.
A few common culprits are either a faulty battery or a faulty alternator. I have seen a few owners reporting their Exide battery giving up early. Since Mahindra offers a 1-year warranty for the battery, get the voltage checked, and if anything is abnormal push for replacement. If the battery is in proper condition, then check for damaged or disconnected wires from the alternator, it could lose output charging power. I had a similar issue in my previous car where a rat had damaged the one of wires leading from the alternator.
Old 28th September 2023, 12:01   #3034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathiravansub View Post
Is it normal for the disc to rust if the vehicle stands still for more than a day in rain?
It is absolutely normal
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:38   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Please advise what could be root cause of the battery drain.
What were the error codes related to?

Mahindra provides a wiring harness to connect accessories in the XUV7OO, although dealers don't always use it & draw power from other sources without issues, I am not sure if the electrical circuit designed for ScorpioN could face issues with the same method.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_20230829_082351.jpg

Long shot, but as part of the Start-Stop system, the ECU Monitors a number of sensors whenever the car is switched on. If any of those sensors are faulty / loosely connected, it could have drawn power. So, alot depends on what the error codes said.

Drive safe

Quote:
Dear Team BHPians

Is it normal for the disc to rust if the vehicle stands still for more than a day in rain?...
Rain or not, moisture in the air reacts to the fresh steel on the rim and a fine layer of rust gets formed. Completely normal.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 28th September 2023 at 12:41.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 12:49   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Team BHPians

In my Scorpio N, I saw the rust in the break disc and spoke to Mahindra. They say it is cast iron and it tends to rust but it vanishes after we drive it. While I know how rusting happens, I am curious to know if this issue is common among all cars or is there a way to prevent rusting by using some kind of alloy or stainless material for discs?

Is anyone owing a car that gets wet in rain and still the disc is not rusting while the vehicle is in standstill?
Oh yes, its absolutely normal in a Scorpio N, i stay hardly 1km from sea and and inspite of a covered parking my discs show heavy layer of rust, vanishes once you start driving.

However what surprises me, my other vehicle a Ignis and previous vehicles Innova and WagonR did not show such severe rusting, something special with Scorpio N i believe.
Gaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 19:07   #3037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have 2 external electrical fittings (both fitted by the dealer during delivery). A pair of Illuminated Scuff Plates & a front parking sensor.
Are these OE or aftermarket accessories. If it happens again, try to temporarily disconnect these accessories one by one.

It could also be a freak incident of a completely defective battery from the beginning.
Old 28th September 2023, 19:24   #3038
BHPian

Quote:

Please advice what could be root cause of the battery drain.
To verify the alternator - after starting the vehicle - check what is the voltage output in idle and when revved at a constant rpm. If it is around 14/14.5 mark and increasing as per the rev, you can chuck out the possibility of bad alternator.

Have a test done on the battery to check its health.

If above two are fine, then start verifying by disabling accessories.

Do you have a dashcam hardwired with surveillance/parking mode always on? That could be another reason.

Quote:
It is normal.
Only case when it might not have superficial rust is if the discs are coated and the coating is still existent on the disc, which generally won't be the case.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 28th September 2023 at 19:26.
arighna.dutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 21:15   #3039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
Mods that I have done, apart from the forced 40k worth of accessories that include chrome on specific areas, 7d mats, rain visors, side steppers etc.,
are 18" Plati alloys, spacers, & Ceat AT Tires,
along with Mahindra Genuine Fog lamps & DRLs.
Congratulations Brother…i have a Silver Z8L and would like to know more about the CEAT Crossdrive AT tyres which are 255/65R18 as i was thinking of installing them.

Are they out of the body line owing to spacers ? How has the ride quality been ? I have heard the Crossdrive’s have a very good build quality compared to the outgoing CZAR. Do they rub anywhere in the wheel well ? At articulation ?
Old 1st October 2023, 14:17   #3040
Senior - BHPian

If you want to replace the oem tyres why go in for Ceat. Continental or Yokos would be much better.
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:00   #3041
BHPian

One thing I have observed in my car is on longer drives, approx 200 kms and above, my neck and shoulder start aching.

I never felt this pain in my old Wagon R even though it used to tire me much more than ScorpioN.

Is it that I am sitting at a very ellivated position and looking down on the road or some other reason?

Anyone else who has observed something like this?
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:23   #3042
BHPian

A short report on Kashmir/Ladakh Drive

Recently completed 10 days road-trip to Ladakh, went via Srinagar - Kargil and returned from Manali side, did the usual Leh to Nubra-Valley & Pangong Lake (via Shyok). The car did all the high passes with ease and there was no DPF or other issues.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231003-1.11.36-pm.jpeg

Highlight of the trip was getting stuck at Sarchu on account of heavy snow-fall at Baralacha Pass. Although traffic was allowed to move "at own risk" by police on 1st oct, it was very difficult to cross the Pass with lot of snow and it took approx 4 hrs to cross from Sarchu. However, Scorpio-N performed brilliantly, amongst other cars slipping & skidding on the inclines, it was just a cake-walk for Scorpio-N.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-whatsapp-image-20231003-1.14.04-pm.jpeg
Rahkehs is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:12   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
One thing I have observed in my car is on longer drives, approx 200 kms and above, my neck and shoulder start aching.
It could be because of the position of your arms on the steering relative to your body that must be building fatigue on your neck and shoulders.

Try adjusting the steering rake and reach( if you have this option in your model) and see if that makes a difference.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 01:06   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
A short report on Kashmir/Ladakh Drive

Highlight of the trip was getting stuck at Sarchu on account of heavy snow-fall at Baralacha Pass.
Wonderful! That makes two of us! I was at Barchala pass as well on the 1st..maybe you saw a black Thar with a funky steppney cover? =)

Would have taken the N but alas the winch on the Thar gives me that extra reassurance. Indeed, the traction modes make easy work of any terrain.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-20231001_160550.jpg
Glad to run into another doon-ite here on the forum.
Old 8th October 2023, 09:03   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
..maybe you saw a black Thar with a funky steppney cover? =)
…. Indeed, the traction modes make easy work of any terrain.
Glad to run into another doon-ite here on the forum.
If I am not mistaken, yours Thar was one of the first vehicles to leave the check-post and that gave me confidence to try to move forward despite the security people suggesting otherwise.

Scorpio-N is arguably the best touring vehicle one can get around 30 Lakhs. It can take any terrain with ease and with utmost comfort to passengers.
And, nice to meet you too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks