Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2023, 19:58   #2896
GKU
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Sharing my experience after 6,000 km.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-6000km.png

The vehicle has been performing extremely well. My earlier cars were Alto and Swift. We have an Omni (sold), Zen Estilo and Baleno owned by my brother and parents (I have driven them extensively). All my opinions stem from comparing those vehicles.

With siblings:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-siblings.jpeg

So far I have done 4 trips to my hometown (400 km one way) in Sagara and one road trip from Bangalore to Goa.

This vehicle has been put together very well. I have compared it side by side with the Innova Crysta and XUV500. Panel gaps are minimal and even all along. The plastic quality looks nice and feels sturdy. Things are neat and tidy even at places you don’t look very often. Overall, the vehicle reeks of sturdiness.

Fit and Finish

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-fit-finish1.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-fit-finish-2.jpeg

The seats are very comfortable and spacious. Those stitches are well done and look premium. We have sufficient places for water bottles and other knick-knacks for all the passengers and the driver. Everything is easily accessible and ergonomically designed.

Highway Driving and Passenger Comfort

We (my family) have almost forgotten that this is a body-on-frame vehicle, except when we are taking turns on bad roads. Overall, the ride quality is very comfortable and cushy. None of the passengers felt any sort of fatigue after travelling 400+ km in 5 to 6 hours. As a driver, I could go another 400 km before calling it a day. Overall, driving comfort and ergonomics are very well-sorted and top-notch.

The 3rd row is meant for kids and it’s better to use it that way. My wife who is 5’5”, sat in the 3rd row for a 250 km journey between Sagara and the temple town of Idagunji and back. She felt they are not very comfortable but liveable.

I started approaching corners at slightly higher speeds than in the Swift. The vehicle was holding its line pretty well. It never made me nervous at any point in time (it was one of my big concerns earlier). Please note that I am not into corner carving and I respect the vehicle’s tall body on frame structure and physics). Highway lane change manoeuvres are simple and a breeze and so is overtaking. It gives me immense confidence while overtaking due to the reserve power. As usual, this 2.2L MHawk is always peppy and has enough grunt in every situation. It’s a pleasure driving this engine. Sound from the engine is minimal and sweet. Speed masking is so well that passengers may complain of slow driving if you go below 100 km/h on the expressway.

Bangalore Pune Highway:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-bangalore-puna-highway.jpeg

Coffee break at Chitradurga:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-coffe-break.jpeg

Anumod Ghat:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-anumod-ghat.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-anumod-ghat-3.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-anumod-goa.jpeg

Somewhere between Panjim and Margao:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-goa-highway.jpeg

We found this interesting pink auto in Goa:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-pink-auto.png

Rear view mirrors are some of the best I have seen so far:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-rear-view-mirror.jpeg

Coming from something basic like the Swift, the Scorpio N has a lot of convenient features. I was not into lots of gizmos and gadgets in a car, but the Scorpion N has spoiled me. The reverse parking camera, and front sensors / camera are immensely helpful in city driving. They make parking your mammoth vehicle extremely easy. Alexa!! It’s a must-have feature for music lovers. I don’t have to fiddle with buttons or need to stop the vehicle to search for a specific track. With a sweet-sounding Sony system, the overall in-car entertainment experience is on a new trajectory. A few other gizmos which are extremely useful are rain-sensing wipers - so convenient, auto headlights - so nicely they light up corners when taking turns and they light up the whole road beautifully. Our “in-car marital disputes” have significantly reduced due to dual-zone A/C and Alexa!

Android Auto is working fine since Day 1 and I regularly use it for maps and music. Very happy with over performance of the infotainment system.

Near Jog Falls:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-close-jog-falls.png

Scorpio N in its natural habitat:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-habitat2.jpeg

Driving this vehicle on a bad road gives a different kind of pleasure since it is designed for such a job. No point in discussing it further. Simply brilliant!
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-habitat3.jpeg

City Driving

Once a week, I take the Scorpio N to my office at Manyata Tech Park (23 km). City driving is a breeze due to the better low-end grunt and super-light steering. You don’t have to downshift very often. The front sensors and camera are a boon in the tight gullies of Bangalore.

Fuel Efficiency

I am attaching all my fuel fills so far. You can see the efficiency there. I am pretty confident that I can extract close to 20 km/l, but it won’t be practical in a real-life scenario. My best FE figure so far is 16.58 km/l - between Bangalore and Goa - 80% on the highway and 20 % inside South Goa and Hubli - Dharward city (very less traffic). The worst is 10 km/l – multiple short trips within Bangalore, sometimes in bumper-to-bumper traffic and 4 people on board. It’s worth noting that the onboard fuel efficiency figure is very accurate. I always compare the onboard FE shown during refilling and tankful-to-tankful. The difference is only 0.5 km to 0.75 km (except when I got 10 km/l - onboard FE figure was 11 km/l).

FE so far:
Name:  Fuel log 1.png
Views: 1985
Size:  76.3 KB

At each refill:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-fuel-log-2.png

Once I wanted to test maximum FE and so was driving between 60 and 90. I could get 23 km/l for 60+ km. I had to increase the speed as my better half started complaining . Pardon me for not removing that ugly protective wrapper on the instrument cluster. I have removed it now. Also, all the photos of the vehicle in motion are taken by my better half and my total focus was on the road.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-fuel-efficiency.jpg

Dislikes – These aspects were known before making the purchase, but I am listing them anyway.
  • No UV cut glass: We badly miss this feature, not sure about the legality of sunshades while travelling outside of Karnataka.
  • Difficult to get down from vehicle when parked on uneven surface.
  • Due to the black colour of the vehicle, it gets really hot when parked outside.
  • Adrenox subscription: Though I am least bothered about the Adrenox app, the internet and Alexa are part of the bundle. So If I don’t subscribe next year, both these features will be gone (subscription is around Rs. 6,000).
  • As usual. Vodafone has the least coverage.
Mahindra, here is a suggestion for you. Please make a separate subscription for the internet (and change the service provider to Jio or Airtel).

Niggles:

1) Sometimes on the highway (above 1,500 rpm), when the throttle is released, there is some strange noise - something like “brrrk”. It sounds as if you are scratching a hard surface with a large plastic container. It lasts only for a second and won’t happen every time. I tried explaining to the service centre during the 1st service. They (Mahant Motors, Shimoga) could not recreate the issue. I am planning to visit a service centre in Bangalore.

2) Crackling sound from the music system – Suddenly, one fine day, I could hear a faint crackling noise from the speakers while any track was being played. Within an hour or so the decibels of this noise increased and continued even after I turned off the ignition. I called customer care immediately as I thought this could be some sort of electrical event. They gave me the number of the nearest service centre, but within the next 20 minutes, this issue was completely gone. It’s been a month and a half, it has never reoccurred. I will ask the service centre to check when I visit next.

3) TPMS - I guess it has a mind of its own, randomly showing issues with one of the tyres. I have started ignoring this. Again, I am planning to visit the service centre.

Am I worried because of the above issue? Hell no! My Macbook Air (supposedly an engineering marvel) has more niggles and issues than ScorpioN.

Overall, the last 4 months of ownership experience have been delightful.

One more subjective rant:

I feel the Scorpio N has taken some inspiration from the Ford Everest. See the images for comparison. Ford Everest image courtesy - CarExpert YouTube channel. I have also taken 2 photos of the Scorpio N from this thread by Omkar.

A lot of resemblance in body contours:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-comp1.png

Observe the chrome strip around the rear quarter glass - looks very similar:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-comp2.png

Very similar contours above the instrument cluster and centre speaker. Compare the seat contour:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-comp3.png

See those vertical vents and centre infotainment console - there is a resemblance:
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-comp4.png

Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2023 at 19:40. Reason: Typos, spacing, language, etc.
GKU is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 22:00   #2897
BHPian

Couple more observations:

1. Overdue posting: I have a hard time getting the same mirror position to work for day & night modes. It should show the same field of view when I flip from one mode to another but it doesn’t. Others have similar observations?

2. Auto wipers don’t work well at night. It looks like the rain sensor needs a certain level of ambient light to work properly.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 07:26   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post

1. Overdue posting: I have a hard time getting the same mirror position to work for day & night modes. It should show the same field of view when I flip from one mode to another but it doesn’t. Others have similar observations?

Welcome to the club - its the same in 700 too and other owners have the same observation. Mostly shared component.
Sandegov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 09:08   #2899
BHPian

Quote:

2. Auto wipers don’t work well at night. It looks like the rain sensor needs a certain level of ambient light to work properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Welcome to the club - its the same in 700 too and other owners have the same observation. Mostly shared component.
Any idea whether Honda City’s Auto IVRM can be retrofitted in Scorpio-N like what some members have done in other vehicles. It’s available for Rs 7100.
Old 22nd July 2023, 09:40   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
That is extremely sloppy.
My 1984 Honda Civic had it working perfectly back in the day.
Mahindra still has a long way to go if they cannot get these basic details right.
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:03   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
Any idea whether Honda City’s Auto IVRM can be retrofitted in Scorpio-N like what some members have done in other vehicles. It’s available for Rs 7100.
Remember reading somewhere that the mount was different - I am banking on the rumour/news that the new 700 variants being introduced will come with auto IRVM. Hopefully its a easy fit with mount and power supply.

What I tried doing was to get an IRVM dashcam since I was looking to add one to my 700 but opted out of it based on few online videos and feedback - the adas unit blocks a bit of the front view + weight of the unit and issues with angling the irvm to left + I was told that it also fouls with the sunshade.
Sandegov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 19:08   #2902
BHPian

Today another niggle popped up. Lost all audio including the ICE, turn indicators and front/reverse parking sensors.
It came back on after the car was left turned off for 20 minutes.
Microsoft SOP I suppose
Mustang Sammy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 03:42   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Best audio settings on the Z8L:

2. Set your music streaming app to the highest quality setting. (I use Apple Music lossless)
Apple Lossless is not supported wirelessly. Either original Apple 3.5mm to lightning adapter is needed which supports only 24bit/48KHz via Aux input or via USB

Last edited by adi58 : 23rd July 2023 at 03:44.
adi58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:02   #2904
BHPian

Quote:

I own a 2021 M6+ Marazzo and i too have the same issue. I am not getting the same view in my rearview mirror when i flip between day and night modes. I had to adjust manually each and every time.
msa.30789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 12:35   #2905
BHPian

Hello Scorpio N Owners,

After test driving the Z8L variant, I found the front camera to be very useful to drive in narrow roads. But that meant upgrade with 2 Lakh additional from the Z8 variant.

My questions:

1. My dealer says he cannot install front camera to Z8 variant due to wiring limitations. Is that correct? How have others managed it?

2. Can the Z8L Sony system be retrofitted in Z8? Again the dealer says he cannot do it because of the differences in speaker size in Sony and normal speakers.

3. How does the above impact warranty of the car, if done by Dealer?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 23rd July 2023, 12:50   #2906

1) Sometimes on the highway (above 1,500 rpm), when the throttle is released, there is some strange noise - something like “brrrk”. It sounds as if you are scratching a hard surface with a large plastic container. It lasts only for a second and won’t happen every time. I tried explaining to the service centre during the 1st service. They (Mahant Motors, Shimoga) could not recreate the issue. I am planning to visit a service centre in Bangalore.

This must be the VGT fins closing, completely normal for the turbos to make such a sound. Check the video below to see if it is a similar one

murcie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 16:20   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
My 2 cents, with the caveat that I am writing this at midnight, and the comparison is with the previous generation Seltos that I test drove in September 2020.
Thank you for the pointers. I sure will test drive them. I went to M&M showroom twice but they didn't have the D-AT. On the other hand the new seltos has become more mouth watering with the gizmos it has to offer. For someone who is looking at a feature loaded SUV for 10 years it makes a compelling business case while the M&M fetches more value, comfortable drive and safety. More and more confusion.

I also wanted to check with the members on the difference between the Z4 4X4 and the Z8 4x4. Is there any significant hardware difference.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2023 at 20:36.
Old 23rd July 2023, 19:41   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post

I am attaching all my fuel fills so far. You can see the efficiency there. I am pretty confident that I can extract close to 20 km/l, but it won’t be practical in a real-life scenario. My best FE figure so far is 16.58 km/l - between Bangalore and Goa - 80% on the highway and 20 % inside South Goa and Hubli - Dharward city (very less traffic). The worst is 10 km/l – multiple short trips within Bangalore, sometimes in bumper-to-bumper traffic and 4 people on board.

Once I wanted to test maximum FE and so was driving between 60 and 90. I could get 23 km/l for 60+ km.
Do you have a manual transmission or AT?
Old 23rd July 2023, 20:03   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Today another niggle popped up. Lost all audio including the ICE, turn indicators and front/reverse parking sensors.
It came back on after the car was left turned off for 20 minutes.
Microsoft SOP I suppose
I recollect identical issue I had faced with my TUV300. Mine was due to battery getting weak.
The same was resolved after changing to a new battery. Wondering how a relatively new battery is showing similar symptoms.
Best you try getting your battery checked
rishee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 20:23   #2910
BHPian

I booked Scorpio N Z6 Manual Deep Forest colour on 10th of June (later booked at one more dealership for quick delivery), was committed 3-4 months by dealerships and 13 months on booking docket for delivery time frame. Without any high connects I was just pushing SA at both dealership every week for quick delivery and on 27th of June I was finally allotted a car (17 days from booking).

It's a different story that it took another 20 days (17th of July) to get to delivery. The dealership didn't pushed for insurance and I got it from outside after allowing dealership to match the quote but still they were quoting 30% more. Got reverse parking camera installed from dealership (for warranty sake) for Rs.5500/-, camera quality is near to 8 bit video games but great the job done. I also wanted to go for fog lamps but they were not in stock.

Within 2-3 days of getting the car I got call from other dealership that they also can allot the car if I am interested. Seems like Mahindra has either worked on Production or demand is fading due to new launches.
The vehicle does what it is supposed to do very impressively and almost everyone has mentioned about it, I find gearing quite suitable for both city traffic driving and highway. Steering firms up perfectly at speed. For the 3rd row sits while most users suggest it's for kids, I had courage to ask my wife (5'6) to try it out (it took 8 years to ask that) and she suggested it's okayish for medium haul rides and not as horrible as it is called out for.

For me the biggest usp for this vehicle is how it deals with potholed filled road especially in this monsoon. Fuel efficiency in Ahmedabad City is around 12kmpl and on the highway it's around 15kmpl even without conservative driving style. The only issue I am facing is with gps that sometimes loses connection and takes forever.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2023 at 20:38. Reason: Paragraph space added for easy reading
ghtg1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks