Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 22:16   #2881
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushgandhi View Post
We then decided to go to Hanle and do Umling La and skip Pangong.

Then N had to take on Umling La, we decided to take the Photi La route. This road is higher than Khardung La itself and is full of curves. 2nd gear and a good torque flow made it super Simple for the N. I took a couple of shortcuts and this was the first time I engaged 4 wheel Low. It was a piece of cake for the car, no struggles just sheer pleasure to tackle these shortcuts. On the way back though we took the shorter fully off road route. It was a pleasure to drive on these very steep declines.
Lovely travelogue. How did you manage the fuel situation for the N? Did you carry spare fuel? Or did it have enough range to manage from Karu to Hanle and up to UmlingLa and back to Karu? Is fuel available at Hanle?
The reason I ask is because I have a Z8L AT 4Xplore as well, and I will be going there in a month.
Roshun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:30   #2882
BHPian

Hi,
I am torn apart between the N and the Seltos facelift. I am a well built tall man and feel like the N is best suited for me. I like the commanding high seat and the punchy engine. However Seltos is an all round package with every little fetaure one can expect along with frugality(minus the safety of-course).
With the Scorpio missing some basic convenient and good to have features, the choice is becoming tougher by the day.

Please suggest what one would miss the most if they go with the Scorpio-N.
shadkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:14   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadkhan View Post
Hi,
I am torn apart between the N and the Seltos facelift. I am a well built tall man and feel like the N is best suited for me. I like the commanding high seat and the punchy engine. However Seltos is an all round package with every little fetaure one can expect along with frugality(minus the safety of-course).
With the Scorpio missing some basic convenient and good to have features, the choice is becoming tougher by the day.

I am in the same dilemma. Infact, I had a price protection booking for Z6 -D-AT but cancelled in March as I had to divert my funds on something important. While the seltos is so appealing with the feature list and style queues my middle class mentality kicks in to look at fetching more value of the same price. The Scorpio N Z6 D AT is almost matches the Seltos D-AT-GT line pre facelift model on road price and I am sure it will go up by a lakh or so. With Scorpio you get an abuse friendly SUV and not to forget higher displacement engine. In fact, the Kia carens D-AT is also at par with this pricing.

Too many options and it is so confusing.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 00:12   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadkhan View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I am in the same dilemma. Infact, I had a price protection booking for Z6 -D-AT but cancelled in March as I had to divert my funds on something important. While the seltos is so appealing with the feature list and style queues my middle class mentality kicks in to look at fetching more value of the same price. The Scorpio N Z6 D AT is almost matches the Seltos D-AT-GT line pre facelift model on road price and I am sure it will go up by a lakh or so. With Scorpio you get an abuse friendly SUV and not to forget higher displacement engine. In fact, the Kia carens D-AT is also at par with this pricing.

Too many options and it is so confusing.
My 2 cents, with the caveat that I am writing this at midnight, and the comparison is with the previous generation Seltos that I test drove in September 2020.

Pros of the ScorpioN:
1. Safe. Built like a tank, also garners major respect on the road. High seating and GC is a blessing in our traffic and road conditions.
2. Big. 2nd row can seat 3 adults, and the 3rd row is available when needed.
3. Powerful engine with good pulling power and torque. Well matched to the auto transmission. Caveat being the 4WD version is tuned to run in the most aggressive mode, and won’t up shift at higher gears even in manual mode till it reaches fairly high speeds.
4. 4WD option available for off roading and Mumbai commutes
5. Light steering. Easy to drive and Female friendly (I know, am stereotyping, but this was said by a lady who test drove my vehicle).
6. Good leg room and supportive seats for big drivers. I am 6’1” and am comfortable.
7. Decent ride quality. Light years ahead of the previous gen Scorpio, and (dare I say it) better than the Seltos at least for me.
8. Good (but not great) boot space.
9. Higher models (Z6 onwards) pretty much have all the bells and whistles that you really Need. Front parking sensors are useful in tight spots.
10. Mile muncher. Long drives are not tiring at all.
11. Not bling-y like the Seltos. IMHO that vehicle has too much electronics and chrome.

Not so good aspects:
1. Big size can be an issue in urban parking and on narrow roads.
2. Fuel efficiency is not good even in the diesel. I get 10-12 kmpl average with 60-40 highway-city driving.
3. Only 1 cup holder for the 4WD version
4. Glove box although cooled is very small
5. Storage compartment under driver armrest is pathetically small
6. Auto start-stop is a pain and is badly implemented. Has to be manually turned off every time.
7. Headlight throw, although better than my previous Maruti, is not the best.
8. Niggles. Refer to multiple posts on this thread.
9. AdrenoX app is SLOW, compared to the equivalent on the Seltos.
10. Mahindra service can be iffy. Need to chase them and follow up closely on work. Yi be honest Maruti service quality also wasn’t exceptional, just that they are more responsive to complaints and issues.

My recommendation would be to go with the vehicle and variant that makes you smile when you drive it ( a proper long test drive).

All the best!
Mustang Sammy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:22   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Thanks a lot. For the Z8 and Z6 I need to catch hold of someone who has that variant and spend a couple of days with the car.
If you are in north Bangalore, I can get my car to you on one of the weekends and spend a few hours. I have a Z8.

Thanks,
Dheeraj
DheerajNK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 09:46   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Lovely travelogue. How did you manage the fuel situation for the N? Did you carry spare fuel? Or did it have enough range to manage from Karu to Hanle and up to UmlingLa and back to Karu? Is fuel available at Hanle?
The reason I ask is because I have a Z8L AT 4Xplore as well, and I will be going there in a month.
Definitely need the extra fuel. I had a 20L jerry can with me for fuel and topped it as soon as the car was at half a tank. My original plan was to cover pangong and hanle hence I had to carry the fuel but pangong was scrapped due to snowfall blockade at Chang La.
Honestly you can do the circuit from karu to umling la and back in one tank, but it will be with a certain range anxiety, also if you want to take shortcuts and engage 4WD(like I did) you will need extra fuel for sure. You can get fuel in Hanle at almost every homestay but again wouldn't trust it with your new BS6 SUV.
kushgandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 14:07   #2887
BHPian

My engine temperature is consistently higher than the half way mark since Day one. Do other owners also see similar readings on their vehicles?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_1529.jpeg  

Old 19th July 2023, 17:33   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
On a different note, the hook attachment to keep the 3rd row seat up in case of severe bumps make an irritating clanking noise all the time. Put in a cheap workaround by tying some cloth around it.

Have you tried getting some thick shrink tape used on electrical cables? You can get it from any electrical shop. Just slide it on, use a heat gun or a lighter then repeat the process till the desired thickness is available. It may wear out in due course, then just cut out the old one and replace.
maheshmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 20:04   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
Have you tried getting some thick shrink tape used on electrical cables? You can get it from any electrical shop. Just slide it on, use a heat gun or a lighter then repeat the process till the desired thickness is available. It may wear out in due course, then just cut out the old one and replace.
One question where is this connecting hook placed?

Its been more than 1 month I have got the car and still not able to find the same.
Old 19th July 2023, 20:14   #2890
BHPian

Quote:
My engine temperature is consistently higher than the half way mark since Day one. Do other owners also see similar readings on their vehicles?
I had not paid attention to this earlier but today while coming back from office I tried to observe.

At starting from office the indicator was at a mark much less than your screenshot but after getting stuck in ORR bangalore traffic for 1 hr and moving at a speed of 5-6km hr, it was almost as same as yours.

What kind of traffic do you normally drive in?

One other thing I have observed is when I drive in heavy traffic, then on stopping the car there is a smell similar to burning coming from the bonnet some times.

Not sure if it's a diesel trait or not but I don't observe it always.

Last edited by Nightmare : 19th July 2023 at 20:17. Reason: Added text
Nightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 23:01   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

What kind of traffic do you normally drive in?

One other thing I have observed is when I drive in heavy traffic, then on stopping the car there is a smell similar to burning coming from the bonnet some times.

Not sure if it's a diesel trait or not but I don't observe it always.
I drive in stop and go traffic but have seen the temperature in a similar range even on highway trips.

Regarding your second “burning smell” issue, I have thankfully not experienced it.
Old 20th July 2023, 10:36   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Its the same with my Scorpio-N AT, after half an hour drive, the temperature gauge is at the same level as shown in your picture, but the level remains constant at that point even when the vehicle is driven continuously for 3-4 hours.
Rahkehs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 09:26   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
It is a perception that it is above the half way mark. Please include the red area also. If you look at just the white one it seems so
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 13:04   #2894
BHPian

Facing jumpy GPS issues after the recent software update. Previously I was using Google Maps on my phone, so was used to pretty faultless navigation during my trips. After the software update, and while using Android Auto I noticed a lot of beeps/rerouting messages and the vehicle location would jump around while driving. Since no such issue existed while using Maps on the phone without Android Auto, I assumed it was an issue with the vehicle GPS on the Scorpio-N and maybe I didn't notice the issue since I hadn't particularly used the in-built Navigation on the car.

After a little bit of digging and looking at the previous trip path on the Adrenox app, it was clear that this is a new issue and the GPS was tracking smoothly before the update. I'll be getting in touch with the SA and hopefully they will have a solution to the problem. If any one else is facing the same issue, do chime in.

Attaching screenshots from Adrenox of me driving the same route before and after the update. It's pretty clear from the path that some jitteriness has been introduced in the on board GPS.
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230720_201744_adrenox-connect.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230720_201728_adrenox-connect.png
ask99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 13:35   #2895
BHPian

It was reported earlier, a few pages back, that onboard GPS is not very accurate, or maybe it's very sensitive.

I have not updated to the latest software version and have used the inbuilt navigation extensively(Z6). The current location icon jumps to a service road or some perpendicular road for a few seconds and then comes back to the main road where the vehicle is actually located.

I have noticed this pattern only when there are diversions or roads are merging/branching. On the ghat roads, where there were no other roads joining, it was accurate .
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks