Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2023, 15:20   #2851
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

SCORPIO N DRIVE TO UMLING LA

I, like many others, was fascinated by the idea of driving on umling la top. Having done multiple Ladakh trips it went straight on my bucket list, but the last time I was in Leh it was closed for civilians. This time though I had the car and the permissions(none needed as of now) for the same.

This was my first proper testing drive for the N 4X4. I chose the end of may for the trip and started from Delhi. The plan was to test the vehicle on roads towards zanskar and then go to Leh, but the rain gods made us change our plans. Road closures forced us to take the Srinagar road.

I decided to drive straight to Srinagar, the N was tested properly and the ride was comfortable and very relaxing. For sure you can ride this car all day long without feeling that fatigue, be it rains, curvy roads or potholes the car just crushes it all. Although post Ramban we experienced massive jams delaying us by 4 hours we still reached Srinagar in one piece.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5396.jpg

The next day was really exciting as I was about to cross Zoji La, the first of many passes. Zoji La at this time is covered with snow and even the slightest rains prompt the authorities to stop traffic movement. The roads to Zoji La however have changed completely. the flooring has been completed and its no more a slushy nightmare, although you still get some crater size potholes on the way.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5411.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5427.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5756.jpg

No need for 4x4 even here I reached leh in no time as the road from Drass to Leh is better than any other mountain road.

After a day of acclimatising it was time to leave. We reached Kharu at 9:30 in the morning but as our luck turned out it was raining and chang la was closed for vehicular movement. Even though I was carrying snow chains they refused any tourist vehicles. We then decided to go to Hanle and do Umling La and skip Pangong. The road towards Hanle again are silky smooth no more adventure if you take this road, just empty stretches with no soul for miles.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5520.jpg

Then N had to take on Umling La, we decided to take the Photi La route. This road is higher than Khardung La itself and is full of curves. 2nd gear and a good torque flow made it super Simple for the N. I took a couple of shortcuts and this was the first time I engaged 4 wheel Low. It was a piece of cake for the car, no struggles just sheer pleasure to tackle these shortcuts. On the way back though we took the shorter fully off road route. It was a pleasure to drive on these very steep declines.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5548.jpg

The Road to Umling la is again perfectly tarred and easy to drive but your body might feel the height. We had to take a few puff from our O2 cylinders as we felt very dizzy. The car too was not at normal rpms, it was standing at 1000 and sometimes at 1100 Rpm post hanle.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5535.jpg

After the whole ordeal we headed back from the Manali route. The rain gods again weren't so kind. Tanglang La welcomed us with heavy snowfall. Bikers were forced to either go back or load them in trucks to proceed further as it was very slippery. The N gave me the confidence and the whole section of 15 km was crossed in 4H without the need for snow chains. Here I would like to appreciate the traction control system, it made things super easy for me and helped in tricky situations.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5583.jpg

Post Pang the roads are getting widened so it was nothing but dirt road slush and pot holes. The N again didn't disappoint at all. The suspension on this vehicle on these roads is solid and feels you can abuse it properly. Even at Baralacha top which was fully snowed out and had patches of black ice the car performed really well.

Overall even though I had driven the car 13,000 kms before taking it to Ladakh, it was this trip that properly showed me the capabilities and comfort, specially in these terrains, of the vehicle.

Except cleaning the air filter once in Leh, that too precautionary, Nothing else was needed. However due to slow hill driving in Leh post Umling La I had to perform DPF regen. Called up the technician I usually deal with in Delhi and he told me nothing to worry about just perform the Regen and the car is as good as new. Although I got worried it was very easy and took just 20 min.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5486.jpg

Taking the car near river beds taking all the shortcuts that I saw climbing steep loose gravel climbs this car did it all without breaking a sweat And after 10 months of niggles and second thoughts, specially after an XUV 500 swap, I finally fell in love completely with my Panther.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-img_5502.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 11th July 2023 at 17:38. Reason: Typo.
kushgandhi is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 17:20   #2852
BHPian

Today I went for my first free service to Sireesh Auto Singasandra.
I have been a Maruti and Hyundai customer throughout my life and this is the first time I am experiencing something new, but I am happy to say it was pleasant. The folks at Sireesh Auto Singasandra, were quite professional and did a good service of my “Baghira”.

When I enquired about the AA and ACP update, they mentioned that it is available, and some online maps (MAPPLS) update is also listed for me. They also got me to a sign some disclaimer regarding this update which was little unsettling as I thought Mahindra itself is not confident on the end result post the process. After 2 hours I came know why, as the upgrade crashed twice post 75%, but third time it was successful .

While coming back I used ACP wirelessly and it worked flawlessly. After parking, I checked the navigation tab and saw it changed to MAPPLS, I am not aware about the features of this new online Map My India version need to explore more. If anyone has used this prior your comments will be of great help.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-acpaa_update1.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-acpaa_update2.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-acpaa_update3.jpeg
.sourov is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 20:22   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
Today I went for my first free service to Sireesh Auto Singasandra.
After 2 hours I came know why, as the upgrade crashed twice post 75%, but third time it was successful .
Thanks for update Sourov.

Could you please let us know the time taken for successful update. Based on that I will assume total 4 try and try to plan my time
Or jut tell overall time, that will be helpful.

I see from the shared picture that ongoing updates for different components are in parallel. Is the parallel updating of different components the reason for the long update time?

Also I am afraid that I might have lower fuel once I reach any service centre, so approximately what is fuel consumption during update.

I believe a highway run is required after update because of long idling , true ?

Anantcar guys at Bannerghatta road said that they have the updates but there are few bugs that they are waiting to be fixed. That's why they are not intimating owners.

I was near by Sireesh Auto, Singasandra, around 3 PM and thought of visiting for accessories but left it for some other day.

Last edited by KumarS : 11th July 2023 at 20:25. Reason: name edit
KumarS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2023, 21:09   #2854
BHPian

Received my Scorpio N Z8 AT 4WD on 8th July 2023.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-scorpio-n-2.jpg  

SanScorpio is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 04:49   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Received my Scorpio N Z8 AT 4WD on 8th July 2023.
Congratulations, the Scorpio-N is definitely the best "real" SUV you can buy for the price, and hope you have many great miles and memories with it!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 09:36   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Thanks for update Sourov.

Could you please let us know the time taken for successful update. Based on that I will assume total 4 try and try to plan my time
Or jut tell overall time, that will be helpful.

Also I am afraid that I might have lower fuel once I reach any service centre, so approximately what is fuel consumption during update.

I believe a highway run is required after update because of long idling , true ?
It took me around 5 hours for the software update and service to complete. The update itself took 4 hours plus as it failed in between.

I did not see much difference in DTE before and after the service, approximately it came down to 190 from 220. But since fuel info will reset post update its difficult to conclude.

I am doing normal office commute via ORR in Bangalore and have not seen any REGEN related issues till date, even after the service.
.sourov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 11:33   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
It took me around 5 hours for the software update and service to complete. The update itself took 4 hours plus as it failed in between.
I got the update from Sireesh Auto Marathalli. The update version ends with .64 as mentioned in earlier post.

The update took approx. 50-60 mins but there was some wait time also.

In my case there was no crash of the update. I have driven around 50 km since the update and things look fine. I use Android so can't comment on Apple Car Play.

The mileage gets reset as already mentioned.

NOTE: I did not get any update for Online Maps (Mahindra). I am not too much interested as well cos I don't use it anyway.

Last edited by Nightmare : 12th July 2023 at 11:38. Reason: Added more info
Nightmare is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 16:07   #2858
BHPian

My Scorpio N is 1900 KMs and 45 days old. I am hearing a rattling sound coming from the right side of the bonnet. Under the bonnet, everything seems to be ok. Is there anyone else who has similar rattling noise coming from under the bonnet?
Old 12th July 2023, 17:25   #2859
BHPian

Quote:

After parking, I checked the navigation tab and saw it changed to MAPPLS, I am not aware about the features of this new online Map My India version need to explore more. If anyone has used this prior your comments will be of great help.
I came across this post in XUV 700 ownership thread regarding recent update of MAPPLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

There are some interesting features in this update apart from general stability fixes. The most notable though is MMI maps updates. MMI now has replaced their regular maps with Mappls (https://www.mappls.com) A completely new UI, sleeker and more detailed views, guidance, various options and a crowd-sourced potholes report are some highlights I noticed. Things so far working fine - have to drive a little longer and see how stable this is. The real-time traffic update is now enabled in Mappls - muvh more helpful (may not be as good as google). This will deifnitely make Apple carPlay disconnections bearable now The MMI has been my offline/ last resort of a kind maps. I duly note the lat-long prior to every long trip as via points and use MMI as fallback when gMaps fail. The MMI generally navigate through the roads that are appropriate for car - unlike Google maps take me in the narrow village roads.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5583067

I too prefer MAP My India over GMAP sometimes because it primarily considers main roads, unlike GMAP, which can sometimes lead to dead-end roads, resulting in time savings. .

Also, MMI clearly indicates the exit entry and flyover ramps when available.
KumarS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 07:37   #2860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Team, Z8 4x4 variant here.
Any feedback from 265 60 18 and 255 65 18 tyre owners? I.e standard fortuner or thar tyre swap size? I last put G105 255 65 17 on my Z6.
Since the difference in overall circumference between both tires is only 2%, you will not have any issues at all. However, there have been some reports of the stock tyres rubbing the inside of the fenders under extreme articulation.

However even the width is only 5 mm extra on each side, so I don't see you have this problem except under extreme articulation circumstances. I don't see many of us put, even a 4WD Scorpio N through this kind of extreme off-road, so I think you should upgrade as you will get a lot more choices with 265/80R18 as opposed to the stock Scorpio Size.
Old 13th July 2023, 09:44   #2861
BHPian

Hello!

So yes, I went ahead with the 265 60 R18 AT2 option.
Since I have my own apollo dealership and know prices, this is a brilliant tyre. Far from my network, I approached Ashok tyres in noida with whom I've had good terms. Buyback for my MRFs was 9k. New tyres were effectively about 2.5k a tyre after GST credit. I cannot complain! The stock tyres already have chips and cuts all over the place. Changed 4 of them. The 5th would have caused a little loss in GC so I let it go. I may do so at a later time since the AT2 is 30.5 inches dia while stock is 30.

To ward off potential rubbing issues at the rear fender, I won't put it through mad articulation until I can source thin hub centric spacers. Probably around 15 mm whenever they come out.
Old 13th July 2023, 13:26   #2862

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
My Scorpio N is 1900 KMs and 45 days old. I am hearing a rattling sound coming from the right side of the bonnet. Under the bonnet, everything seems to be ok. Is there anyone else who has similar rattling noise coming from under the bonnet?
Most likely, it's the loose air filter assembly.
I too suffered it in my 2021 Thar D AT. You can easily check it - Start the car, open the bonnet and keep a firm hand on the air filter assembly. If the rattling goes away, you know the culprit. Good news is - it's a well-known issue with Mahindra ASC technicians and barely a 30 minute job to correct.
Hope this helps.
Crosscountryman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 14:20   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Hello!

So yes, I went ahead with the 265 60 R18 AT2 option.
Since I have my own apollo dealership and know prices, this is a brilliant tyre. The 5th would have caused a little loss in GC so I let it go. I may do so at a later time since the AT2 is 30.5 inches dia while stock is 30.

To ward off potential rubbing issues at the rear fender, I won't put it through mad articulation until I can source thin hub centric spacers. Probably around 15 mm whenever they come out.
Great to hear that AT2 are good tyres. They certainly look good! Can you please explain your comment above about loss in GC if you changed your 5th tyre too?
As per the tolerance limit the 265/60/18 are the sensible upsize for the stock Thar tyres and from all accounts these tyres wont foul or rub against the other components. So can you also help me understand why this upsize requires the 15mm hub centric spacers?
Old 13th July 2023, 15:30   #2864
BHPian

So I'm in touch with some people here and there.
The 265s can rub under extreme brakeing and articulation scenarios.
Not significant. But taking the tyres out a bit at the rear should look after it, for the most.

The 5th tyre will impact the departure angle. I haven't checked properly, but it may also impact the GC a bit. It is, after all, 1 cm lower than stock if I were to place it there. However, the wheels are now .25 inches higher (the dia is now 30.5 instead of 30 inches stock) so perhaps the impact is net positive on GC (+6mm) and slightly negative (or imperceivable) on departure (cannot calculate without measurements handy.)

Since I am stuck with 1 steel (speed-limited) wheel, having a 265 there won't be of much use when it comes to rotation and all. I'd rather let it be.

I'll probably reconsider at a later point.
I see two possible solutions to the rear fouling -
1. Hub-centric spacers (or negative offset wheel which I haven't the money/inclination for at the moment)
2. A suspension buffer like what rogerab sells. It'll ensure that there is just a little bit of added
Old 14th July 2023, 23:37   #2865

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Almost similar kms on my Scorpio N, but there is a creaking sound which comes somewhere from the central console region (not sure if it is from inside of the AC vents) everytime car passes through bumps, potholes or rumble strip and all this started after the first service where I got additional anti rust coating done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks