Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 17:37   #346
BHPian

The Return of the Manuals

A Summary of how we welcomed another Citroen, the C3 turbo, to join its big brother the C5 Aircross.
Citroen C3 Review-c3-c5.jpg

Circa 2015. We sold our last “Manual Gearbox” car, the much beloved Skoda Fabia 1.3 Turbo Diesel. With that we bid Adieu to Manual cars forever, vowed to buy only Automatic in the Future. In the current traffic scenario, it simply does not make sense to drive Manual cars.

My dad, who is a proper petrol head, has been driving cars since the late 1980’s and he said that the only constant is “Change” so it was time to shift entirely to Automatic cars.

Fast forward to 2023, my dad gets a call from his friend that he was driving to Sringeri from Mangalore alone and asked if he would join him. My dad said yes, and asked which car he would be going in? To which his friend replied he would be taking his New Citroen C3 Turbo. And the trip was ON.

They left in the Evening at 5 and returned by 11PM. I was still awake watching some match and the first thing dad tells me when he returns home – “We are buying the Citroen C3 turbo ASAP”.

Apparently my dad drove the car on the return leg of the journey and had an Absolute Blast driving this little Monster of a car.

Three things he Loved about the C3 Turbo
1. The bomb of an engine with its free revving motor.
2. The Excellent ride quality
3. The Halogen Headlamps, yes, the Headlamps. He is sick and tired of driving cars with LED Headlamps. Most of the new cars have pathetic LED headlamps which are “All show and No Go.”

Need for a New Car

Our Tata Nano was getting old, but did not have any major gremlins. The only issue was that the AMT gearbox was always confused and tricky to modulate while driving. Plus, the plush ride was not so plush anymore, it felt too bouncy on the Concrete roads here in Mangalore.

The need for a small city runabout arose, but this time we wanted a car capable of doing highway runs if required.

We Zeroed in on the following cars to replace the Nano with
1. Citroen C3 Turbo - First Choice
2. Hyundai i20 N Line DCT - Last minute consideration
3. Tata Punch EV – Wild Card entry

The i20 N Line

The i20 was a last-minute consideration because I did not want my dad to buy a manual car and then regret it, so I had to get an automatic for test drive and chose the N Line.

Citroen C3 Review-i-20-interiors.jpg

Even though the specs look excellent on paper, real world experience of the N Line left a lot to be desired.

1. Our major complaint was the Stiff ride quality, especially in the back seat it felt horrible.
2. The lag in the DCT transmission, it felt pretty confused at slow speeds.
3. Tacky sounding exhaust note.
4. Low seats, especially for my parents they flet like they sat low and did not like the visibility.

We did an extensive test drive about 20 Kms and was instantly rejected for the above reasons.

The Tata Punch EV

Our primary need was for a city car, however occasional highway runs should also be possible.
Saw few posts about the Tata Punch EV on Team Bhp and added it to the shortlist as it looked crazy good. I called up the local dealership and said that they had just gotten the test drive vehicle and we would be the first customer to drive it.

Got the car home next day, SA was excellent, explained everything and was super knowledgeable.
Citroen C3 Review-punch.jpg

Initial impressions were good, the car was quick and the silence of the EV was something to be experienced.

But then slowly we started noticing the shortcomings.
1. Poor insulation- Stopped at a traffic light and we could hear the conversation from the 2-wheeler next to us.
2. Poor Fit & Finish, nothing surprising, it is a Tata Afterall, and rough edges at quite a few places.
3. Range anxiety: I do a lot of Mangalore – Mysore – Bangalore Runs. My main criteria were that it should be able to do Mangalore – Mysore, 250 kms, on One full charge. SA was honest (such a rarity) and said this was not practically possible as the battery would get drained during the ghat climb up to Madikeri.

Even during our Test drive of 20 kms, half of which was Highway driving and rest was city with some uphill climbs, the range dropped by 45 kms.

Thus ended our hopes of buying the Tata Punch Ev, I was excited for the New Punch as the size is just perfect for city use. But was rejected for the above reasons.

Finalising the Citroen C3 Turbo

Like they say, first choice is the best choice, and in this case turned out to be true.

We went to the Citroen showroom here at Mangalore for a test drive, surprise surprise, no test drive car is available.
They said they would arrange one within a week, but they could not, instead they got the C3 Aircross for test drive, same engine, and Gearbox, but a bigger body.
Citroen C3 Review-c3-aircross.jpg

I was able to test drive both the Manual and the automatic. But was not too convinced as the vehicle dynamics would be different between a Hatch and a SUV. So, we called up our family friend and went for a drive in his C3 Turbo.

One drive in it and I was floored, it was a Maniac! I absolutely loved it and we decided to buy the car. It did remind of our Mini Cooper.
We finalised The Citroen C3 Turbo Shine Variant, which now comes with Alloy wheels, Rear Wash & Wipe, electrically adjustable ORVM’s, Auto Start Stop etc, in the Dual tone Shade of White, with an orange roof.

Discounts & Drama!

We approached the Mangalore Dealership and they told us that there was a flat discount of Rs.1 Lakh on C3 Turbo Models, and after a several rounds of negotiations and discussions the Final price offered by the dealership was Rs.9.95 Lakhs with the option to get Insurance from outside.
Even though we had a pleasant and professional experience with the dealership, especially SA Mr.Sathya Narayana and Showroom Manager Mr.Gautham, we couldn't close the deal as we weren't completely satisfied with the negotiations.

Simultaneously spoke to the Mysore and Bangalore Dealerships.
Mysore had the same Citroen Dealer as Mangalore “Raja Ganesh Citroen” so they were able to match the offer by the Mangalore dealership and no other changes.

Bangalore dealer “PPS Motors,” with whom we had bought out Citroën C5 Aircross, was showing his attitude as usual, and his final quote was Rs.10.20 Lakhs.

That is when I remembered that there was a Hubli dealer as well. Found the number on google and spoke to the dealership. He had 2 C3 Turbo’s lying unsold in his inventory. We were able to close the deal on the phone in 5 Mins flat.
Super professional, and No-Nonsense approach by the Manger Mr. Somashekar of Citroen Hubli.
We were able to close the deal at a Sweet Rs.9.70 lakhs as the final price all inclusive.
He even ended up providing us free Underbody coating and a few accessories and even a full tank of Fuel to drive back to Mangalore

Delivery & Initial Impressions

We had a function to attend in Bangalore, so we clubbed the delivery with those dates and on 3rd Feb 2024, we drove from Bangalore to Hubli to take delivery of our Brand New Citroen C3 Turbo .
They had everything ready for us as we arrived at 5 in the evening, finished all the documentation in 15 mins and we were ready for the delivery ceremony , car was covered in a nice satin cloth and they arranged for a small Pooja and a Cake cutting ceremony as well.
Overall dealership experience would be a 10/10. I would recommend the Hubli dealership if one is looking forward to purchasing a Citroen.

Citroen C3 Review-delivery-pic.jpg

The next day we drove back to Mangalore Via Yellapur – Gokarna and onto NH 66 towards Mangalore.
It was epic fun driving the C3 Turbo on the twisty roads. My dad who was on the Volvo XC 60 had a tough time catching up with this little monster.
after 100 kms we switched cars and then I took the wheel on the Volvo, while dad and mom hopped on the C3.

Citroen C3 Review-c3-xc-60.jpg

When we stopped for lunch at Honnavar, my dad could not wipe the smile of his face, he was absolutely in love with the car and was really enjoying driving manual cars again.

Service Experience

As of writing this thread the car has completed 7,500 kms. However the only service it has had was at 2K Kms, and that was just a customary check up of the vehicle and topping up of essential fluids.
It also got a small software update for the infotainment system, but there were no noticeable changes in the system after the update, Maybe the fixed some bugs.
The Service was free of charge, as I asked them not to wash the car as it is ceramic protected and I did not want them messing it up in anyway.

Citroen C3 Review-citroen-service-center.jpg

The Mangalore Citroen service centre is a shared premises between Citroen and Jeep as the dealership is the same. The Service centre floor is shared with the Jeep centre, whereas the Showrooms are separate.

The C3 has not had a major service yet, but from the experience of getting our C5 Aircross serviced, I would not be worried much as they are excellent.

Pros & Cons

At the time of writing this I have driven the C3 about 7,500 kms and here are my observations.

Pros

• The 1.2Ltr Turbo Petrol Engine with 110 Bhp & 190 NM torque is an absolute blast to drive
• Light clutch and clean shifts make it enjoyable to drive even in traffic
• Halogen head lamps are powerful and serve the purpose better than LED lamps
• Fabric seats are surprisingly comfortable and easier to maintain.
• Seat height is just perfect, not too low like other hatchbacks or too high like an SUV. You can just slide into the seating position comfortably.
• Good FE, was getting 17-18 Kmpl while maintain speeds of 100-110 Kmph on BLR-MYS expressway.
• Suspension is lovely gobbles up everything, ride quality is superb.
• Powerful AC, Decent Music system, A Big 10” screen with Wireless Android auto and Apple car play make it a pleasure to use this car in long journeys.

Cons

• Turbo Petrol engine is sensitive, a fun session of driving and FE drops to 10-11 kmpl.
• FE during city drives is Also in the range of 12-13 kmpl.
• Due to the torquey nature of the engine, it feels jerky to drive in the city (or maybe I have forgotten how to drive Manual cars)
• Steering feels disconnected and understeer is evident as it is a Front wheel drive car.
• Rear suspension is a little too soft and bottoms out with full load whilst passing speed breakers.
• Not as quiet as a Maruti petrol, you can feel the NVH of the 3 Cylinder motors sometimes.
• Looks similar to the NA C3. The only Visual differentiation between a Turbo C3 and a NA C3 is a small “Puretech” Badge on the left side of the trunk.
• The Tiny 30 Litre Fuel tank is a pain and thus frequent visits to the Fuel station.

Conclusion

Citroen C3 Review-western-terrain.jpg

On a drive back from Mysore to Mangalore, an Audi A6 driven by a Bhpian overtook me, and what followed was a lovely session of enthusiastic driving for the next 50 kms, where not only was the C3 be able to stay with the A6, it was able to overtake the A6 in some twisty sections. .

In a sea of underpowered hatchbacks, the C3 Turbo stands out by being fast and fun to drive, Forget VW Polo’s and i20 Nline’s, this thing eats Creta’s and XUV 700 for breakfast. And can even catch up with the big Germans on highways and twisties alike.

The fact that its kerb weight is only 960 Kgs, coupled with the 190 NM of torque makes it an absolute peach to drive. It may not have the best 0-100 kmph times, but the in-gear acceleration is something that I have not experienced driving a VW Polo or the i20 N line, which would be its main Competitors in the “Warm Hatch” categories.

It's a "Sasta Mini Cooper", if i could call it so. Every time the engine pulls in the 2nd & 3rd gear , it reminds me of our Mini Cooper S. It is super addictive.
The fact that you can get a Turbo Petrol car in the year 2024 for less than Rs.10 Lakhs is amazing. We are very happy with the Citroen C3 Turbo.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2024 at 18:46. Reason: Rule #11
SRISRI_90 is offline   (138) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 12:02   #347
BHPian

Re: Citroen C3 Review

Congratulations on your new car @SRISRI_90. Wish you many years of happy ownership. You got a very sweet deal from the Hubli Dealership I must say.

OT: I have spotted your 3069 Volvo a lot of times, but didn't knew that this C5 was yours I guess, this is the only C5 in Mangalore?

Last edited by sharmanova : 26th June 2024 at 12:05.
sharmanova is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 12:05   #348
BHPian

Great review. Many reviewers agree that it's a pleasure to drive. However, Citroen could significantly enhance its marketing efforts to boost sales. I am not sure if their approach is conservative or cautious wherein they are using India as a manufacturing base and are so much focussed on sales. Be that as it may, they should reconsider as it is definitely discouraging potential buyers and not helping the existing customers. Indian customers are quite attention seeking (not in a negative way) because the purchase of a car is a family decision or group decision so the brand effectively has to be liked by different family members who in turn have different expectations and requirements. Like for example, if they are looking to go after enthusiasts, then they should market the car that way.

I am only hoping for a better competitive market since there aren't too many options in this segment.
youknowitbetter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 13:19   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRISRI_90 View Post
The Return of the Manuals

A Summary of how we welcomed another Citroen, the C3 turbo, to join its big brother the C5 Aircross.
Attachment 2616471

We went to the Citroen showroom here at Mangalore for a test drive, surprise surprise, no test drive car is available.
They said they would arrange one within a week, but they could not, instead they got the C3 Aircross for test drive, same engine, and Gearbox, but a bigger body.
Attachment 2616478

I was able to test drive both the Manual and the automatic. But was not too convinced as the vehicle dynamics would be different between a Hatch and a SUV. So, we called up our family friend and went for a drive in his C3 Turbo.

One drive in it and I was floored, it was a Maniac! I absolutely loved it and we decided to buy the car. It did remind of our Mini Cooper.
We finalised The Citroen C3 Turbo Shine Variant, which now comes with Alloy wheels, Rear Wash & Wipe, electrically adjustable ORVM’s, Auto Start Stop etc, in the Dual tone Shade of White, with an orange roof.
Thanks for the honest review SRISRI_90

In a sea of Citroen Haters, surprised and equally happy to see a customer with multiple cars in the Garage from the same brand !

Quick question on the C3 Aircross - did you take the test drive?
How would you compare that against the C3 as well as C5 Aircross as you are one who could have experienced driving all 3?

I do agree that the strategies exhibited by Citroen India is not turning out well, especially with the dealerships.
However I am still keen to have the C3 Aircross OR Basalt as my next ride if things go well. Looking eagerly towards the Basalt's launch
unni246 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 15:22   #350
BHPian

We have a C3 NA in the family and its absolutely pleasure to drive it. Only pain is mileage, it drinks petrol like there is no tomorrow. And smaller tank makes things worse. Gem of a machine and well designed!
travelling owl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 15:48   #351
BHPian

Quote:
The fact that you can get a Turbo Petrol car in the year 2024 for less than Rs.10 Lakhs is amazing. We are very happy with the Citroen C3 Turbo.
Such a wonderful post to read. As a Citroen fan, I loved the photo of your garage where the C5 and the C3 stood next to each other.

You have such a lovely garage. Adding the manual C3 Turbo shows that you are a true BHPian. You do not judge cars only by the features but by the driving dynamics. Actually, your father more than you Like him, I can imagine myself walking into the house after driving a superb car and telling my family that I am definitely getting that car in my garage.

Please keep us posted on your ownership journey and do write more about the already wonderful experiences in the 7500km done till date. It is such a joy to read.

At a budget of 10 lakhs (+-2 lakhs), Indians have some great options for fast driver's cars.

Three cars in the new car market -C3 Turbo, discounted C3 Aircross and the i20 N-Line.

Three cars in the used car market, VW 1.0s - Vento/Polo, Skoda Rapid 1.0 and the Honda City 1.5 NA.
sjain2054 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 16:16   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[b][u][center] I absolutely loved it and we decided to buy the car. It did remind of our Mini Cooper.

It's a "Sasta Mini Cooper", if i could call it so. Every time the engine pulls in the 2nd & 3rd gear , it reminds me of our Mini Cooper S. It is super addictive.
Congrats! Let me remind you again and again!

Citroen C3 Review-9fdfaf7f025e4d78b2a9586e96a3d070.jpg

Citroen C3 Review-img_1735.jpg

Citroen C3 Review-img_3160.jpg
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 16:17   #353
Senior - BHPian

Its great to read a review by a true enthusiast who enjoys the car, loves the power, the handling and knows how to use it appropriately.

Most reviews focus on the lack of features in the C3 Turbo and I’ve always thought that if a car is so much fun why the heck do you need other “features”? Isn’t that the only feature relevant to an enthusiast?

I haven't driven this car as yet but your review really tempts me to try it out. Should be good for an additonal car too.

Wishing you many more smiles with the car.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 16:24   #354
BHPian

Great writeup of a great car. I keep hearing about this 1.2 engine but never got to drive one. It must be really good.

Your dad's comment after coming back from the drive that you need to buy that car reminded of myself being in a similar situation 8 years back. My friend had purchased the 1.2 GT TSI and I went for a drive with him to Nandi Hills on a weekday. I came back home and announced to my wife that we need to buy that car! We got the car home in 1 month and it is still with us!
anshumandun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:06   #355
BHPian

It seems there are no more Citroen dealerships in Bangalore. Did anyone visit one here recently? The Citroen website directs you to the Mysore one when you enter Bangalore in the location search box. This is such a poor state of affairs for a company that claims it is in India for the long run.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:20   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Congratulations on your new car @SRISRI_90.
I guess, this is the only C5 in Mangalore?
Thank you so much Sharman. And yes, you're right, this is the only C5 Aircross in Mangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Quick question on the C3 Aircross - did you take the test drive?
How would you compare that against the C3 as well as C5 Aircross as you are one who could have experienced driving all 3?
Yes i did drive the C3 Aircross but i did not evaluate it properly as i wasn't planning to buy it.
To be honest i feel the C3 Aircross was a bit too big and it spoiled the ride quality and composure of the car.
For a 7 seater this engine should be just about adequate.

The Basalt should be excellent, but we will know the truth only after driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
Such a wonderful post to read. As a Citroen fan, I loved the photo of your garage where the C5 and the C3 stood next to each other.
Thank you so much !
Yes i do Intend to update the thread in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Congrats! Let me remind you again and again!
Why do you do this to me
We miss our Mini so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I haven't driven this car as yet but your review really tempts me to try it out. Should be good for an additonal car too.

Wishing you many more smiles with the car.
Thank you so much. You must test drive this car, you'll love it.
Currently they are having some excellent offers on the 2023 Inventory of the C3 Turbo !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Great writeup of a great car. I keep hearing about this 1.2 engine but never got to drive one. It must be really good.

Your dad's comment after coming back from the drive that you need to buy that car reminded of myself being in a similar situation 8 years back.
Thank you.
Glad that you too had a similar experience , that excitement is something else !
SRISRI_90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:27   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_Speed View Post

It seems there are no more Citroen dealerships in Bangalore.
That is wrong information.

Stellantis has clubbed the Jeep and Citroen showrooms. The dealer in Bangalore is KHT Prime located in Yeshwantpur and their contact number is 8494911115.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:44   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
That is wrong information.

Stellantis has clubbed the Jeep and Citroen showrooms. The dealer in Bangalore is KHT Prime located in Yeshwantpur and their contact number is 8494911115.
They are doing a great job in keeping potential customers informed! My guess is that PPS did not want to touch Jeep and/or sales were minimal
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 17:47   #359
BHPian

How about comparing C 3 Turbo with new Mahindra 3XO if any one can.
It will be an interesting read.
Old 26th June 2024, 18:01   #360
BHPian

Kudos for your brave decision especially since the sales are not much for the Citroen brand.
In the current market the decision becomes very important especially when the options are plenty in this segment. I assume that your earlier purchase decision of 'Citroen C5 aircross' must have played a bigger role to play in the whole process.
sanjeevs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks