Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 06:31   #106
BHPian

Re: 2022 Mercedes C-Class Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techbro View Post
Exactly. This is what I felt as well. I test drove the C220D and came out so unimpressed. I felt my diesel Tuscon drives better and is more confidence-inspiring. The interiors are a big selling point for Merc but the back seats are a big letdown with no under-thigh support. Only if BMW had not plastered the interiors with cheap quality plastics everywhere then there would be no competition between new C class and the 330i
Am surprised you say that. BMW 3 and 3GL have more soft-touch material than Merc c class which has plastics on doors and area just below the dashboard. Merc definitely scores on the looks front. I wouldn't stick my neck out and proclaim the same on build quality though.
Old 27th December 2022, 12:47   #107
BHPian

Recently got a chance to sit and feel the new the C class. Honestly, the car is a big bummer. The interior looks way more plain, basic and nothing appealing for a car which costs 60L+(On Road Delhi).

The dash and the front console looks sick and that is probably the only thing which is really powering the sales of the C class.

Personally would just might spend the 10 extra and get a 5, instead of the C.
aamishdhingra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 17:27   #108
rGT
BHPian

Today, my friend and I were headed to a Go-karting place, only to realise that the place was under renovation. We headed back, and I was disappointed as I really wanted to get some adrenaline pumping after a lacklustre week.

Then I spotted the T&T Motors banner, and immediately had a brainwave. I asked my friend if he had ever experienced a Merc. He replied in the negative. And off we went to the showroom, like two good-for-nothing vagabonds to get a taste of The Silver Star. We entered, and were courteously introduced to an SA. I enquired about the C300d, to which he replied that because of fewer allotments, the 300d wasn't available. No problem, the C220d then. And immediately he asked if we were interested in a test drive! Aah! Couldn't have asked for more

He took us to the basement, where the test drive cars were kept. Because the entire building was being renovated, they were also keeping the customer cars there. We saw a white GLC 43, a black E 53 and a G 63 in what must be the Selenite Grey colour in a satin finish. The G looked heavenly. Our test drive car was a Cavansite Blue coloured one, and it did look beautiful.

We got in, and I began setting the seat position to my comfort. Here, the SA asked for my height (6'0") and did something on that massive centre console screen, which made the seat move automatically as per my height, and I must say, it was a rather comfortable position. The SA went on to explain some connected features of the car, but I was way too excited for the actual drive to focus on all of that.

Now let's hop on to the actual driving experience. Mind you, I haven't driven a lot of cars before. Although I've sat in a Merc (pre-facelift GLC 220d) before the C, the most expensive and powerful car I've driven was the Thar Diesel AT. So my comparison points are also similar. Obviously the C is the best car I've driven till date. Somehow, I didn't feel intimidated when I first got into the car, it was as if everything was fresh in my mind (thanks to TBHP reviews). Pushed the gear stalk downwards to put the car in D, and we crept forward smoothly. The diesel motor felt smooth and refined at low revs. Drove out of the basement and onto the main road, and dug the throttle by about 50% and the linear pushback onto the seat put a grin on my face. I knew then and there that this was gonna be a bit of a roller coaster drive. Did a U-turn, took an empty lane, and gave it the beans, and the C just zipped past the other cars. The pushback onto the seats, although linear, was clearly felt. And this was the Eco mode. I asked the SA to change it to Sport mode, and surprisingly he did so without any hesitation at all! Immediately the revs rose, and the throttle response became distinctly sharper. And I pinned it again, and OH MY GOD! This time, the C flew! And during the entire drive, I made zealous use of the paddle shifters, which gave a click-clack sound. Did some unmentionable speeds in relative ease and effortlessness. The test drive was a short 2 km one on a pre-set route. So all that fun was over way too soon. I just couldn't imagine how manic the 265ps C300d would be, if this was the case with the C220d. After the test drive, I saw my friend's bewildered face (couldn't gather if the bewilderment was because of the drive or because of my audacity ). A few takeaways from the drive:

- The engine is pretty smooth and refined throughout the rev range, and it is only audible at higher revs. The engine note itself isn't bad for a diesel.
- The 9G-Tronic is a smooth shifting gearbox, but it was also decently quick. The responses for both upshifts and downshifts in Sport mode with the paddle shifters were pretty quick for a TC.
- The suspension was neither soft, nor stiff. It felt just right. Sharp bumps could be felt, but shouldn't be a deal breaker for most.
- The C220d has a 6 speaker music system, which is just about okay. Nothing to write home about.
- The car's auto start/stop system is smooth, but it can be felt when the engine shuts on/off. I turned it off at the beginning of the drive, so as to minimise it's hindrance.
- The steering, in all honesty, didn't feel really different from that in our Creta. It's light, direct and accurate, but lacks feedback.
- Talking of the steering, the horn pad is hard, and also a stretch for the fingers. Can be a bit of a problem in dense and chaotic Indian traffic.
- Using the massive screen in the middle for almost all purposes while driving is a challenge, and would take time getting used to.
- Visibility all around was pretty good. Having been used to a C-SUV, I didn't feel anything untoward or odd when it came to viewing the surroundings.

All of my observations are related to the actual driving experience, and not of the car overall, the reason being, I was too engrossed in driving it. Forgive me, if certain observations are noob-like, but this was the first ever test drive, where I was actually driving the car, and was not just a passenger.

That's about it. I want to add a note of appreciation for the folks at T&T Motors, Gurgaon, and our SA, Mr. Mohit Dang, for accomodating us, despite us being seemingly under-aged to buy a Merc.

P.S. The SA was impressed with my ability to use the paddle shifters so ineptly (now I realise why he wasn't hesitant to engage sport mode). As per him, in his two years of being a Merc SA, he had never seen anyone use the shifters as liberally as I did. In my mind, I went, "Well, that's what happens when you come across someone who happens to be a car freak and an F1 worshipper."
rGT is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 10:13   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rGT View Post
And off we went to the showroom, like two good-for-nothing vagabonds to get a taste of The Silver Star. We entered, and were courteously introduced to an SA. And immediately he asked if we were interested in a test drive! Aah! Couldn't have asked for more ...Somehow, I didn't feel intimidated when I first got into the car, it was as if everything was fresh in my mind (thanks to TBHP reviews). Pushed the gear stalk downwards to put the car in D, and we crept forward smoothly. And during the entire drive, I made zealous use of the paddle shifters, which gave a click-clack sound. Did some unmentionable speeds in relative ease and effortlessness. After the test drive, I saw my friend's bewildered face (couldn't gather if the bewilderment was because of the drive or because of my audacity ).
- Visibility all around was pretty good. Having been used to a C-SUV, I didn't feel anything untoward or odd when it came to viewing the surroundings....P.S. The SA was impressed with my ability to use the paddle shifters so ineptly (now I realise why he wasn't hesitant to engage sport mode). As per him, in his two years of being a Merc SA, he had never seen anyone use the shifters as liberally as I did. In my mind, I went, "Well, that's what happens when you come across someone who happens to be a car freak and an F1 worshipper."
Offtopic.
Aah, all your words reminded me of our joyriding TD spree in Bengaluru during our college internship in 2015

Double so, as my friend would drive rashly all the other cheaper TD cars while I would drive properly keeping in mind that we were in a stranger city where we didn't even know the local language and was TDing without ANY intent of buying. But when it came to TDing the GLA, the tables turned. My friend drove apprehensively while I gave a proper full send using the paddle shifts liberally. That said, the GLA 200CDI felt underwhelming but it was a good experience nevertheless.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 08:53   #110
BHPian

Off topic.

My friend, who is an owner of a MY23 C200 is facing persistent niggling issues with his car. A rattling sound is emanating from the area around his B-pillar and his dashboard. The car was purchased from Mercedes-Benz Coastal Star, Kochi. The car was with their service team for 14 plus days, as part of identification and rectification of the said noise. The car was returned, but the noise returned promptly, the very next day.

In the mean time, they managed to burn his rear seat while the car was at their service center.

MB Coastal star accepted the mistake, proposed to repair the rear seat, but we insisted on a full replacement of the seat, which they have agreed.

His car was delivered to him in March 23 and it’s already spent a good two weeks with the service center. He is at a point where he is supremely frustrated with the service team at MB Coastal Star and wants to escalate this issue, because the car has spent more time at the service center than his hands and yet no lasting solution has been found.

Members, how should we go forward from this point. Should we:

1. Change dealership and wing it that the new dealer can sort this out
2. Escalate this matter by getting MB India management involved

If it is the second option, kindly provide a contact for the relevant person. Peace
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-80e3b2d13ec949db8f5388e249d50fe1.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2023 at 11:33.
Air_Kerala is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:24   #111
Team-BHP Support

I would change the dealership, and escalate to MB India. Sometimes finding rattles can be quite a difficult job, but how a seat was burnt? That is something which shows negligence.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 18:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I would change the dealership, and escalate to MB India. Sometimes finding rattles can be quite a difficult job, but how a seat was burnt? That is something which shows negligence.
I would tell my friend the same. As for the burnt seat, no explanation was provided. They tried to play it down.
Old 8th May 2023, 21:52   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Kerala View Post
I would tell my friend the same. As for the burnt seat, no explanation was provided. They tried to play it down.
They tried to play down the seat burn? Now that's very surprising, that too coming from a luxury brand. That looks like a cigarette burn though.
Old 9th May 2023, 13:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
They tried to play down the seat burn? Now that's very surprising, that too coming from a luxury brand. That looks like a cigarette burn though.
That is my impression too. But the management has been proactively been involved in finding a resolution. Fingers crossed. Peace
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:23   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Put my money where my mouth is! Or rather, my childhood friend did, based on my advice. I'm a big fan of the new C300d and have posted as such on the forum.

My childhood buddy brought one home yesterday. It's fast, properly fun-to-drive, great looking, has a balanced suspension and lovely interiors. Mercedes' new gearbox is not a 10 / 10 like the ZF, but it's close at an 8.5 / 10.

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-20230521-11.11.04.jpg

2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-20230521-12.03.55.jpg

Before you comment, the Team-BHP sticker came off in a recent detailing session. Is being reapplied :
2022 Mercedes C-Class Review-20230521-13.01.14.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2023 at 08:10. Reason: Clarifying it's my buddy's car, not mine
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:02   #116
BHPian

Quote:
That is my impression too. But the management has been proactively been involved in finding a resolution. Fingers crossed. Peace
Are they the only dealer in kochi now??
Old 30th May 2023, 13:22   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Yep.

Coastal star is the dealer for south Kerala now, while Brideway is for north Kerala.

Rajasree went belly up a few years back.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rivandrum.html (Shutters down for Rajasree Motors, dealers of Mercedes Benz in Kochi and Trivandrum)
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 15:03   #118

Quote:
In the mean time, they managed to burn his rear seat while the car was at their service center.
Sad to see Mercedes Benz's service centres handling cars with such negligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Put my money where my mouth is! Or rather, my childhood friend did, based on my advice. I'm a big fan of the new C300d and have posted as such on the forum.
Attachment 2453941
Sir GTO, is that you on the extreme left ?
Old 30th May 2023, 15:26   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Send a polite email to Mercedes coorporate and include pictures. Meanwhile, take the car to bridgeway motors in Thrissur and have them take a look. It’s right by the highway, you won’t miss it.

Coastal star kochi is a new dealership that was set up maybe a year ago max. All their employees are new and they may not have the technician expertise to fix such niggles.
Old 3rd June 2023, 22:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Yes @Senotrius, I believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi_Uchiha View Post
Sad to see Mercedes Benz's service centres handling cars with such negligence

Indeed, as petrol heads, owning our dream car is a culmination of many many moons hard work. It is disheartening to see the dealership handle the car with such callous attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Send a polite email to Mercedes coorporate and include pictures. Meanwhile, take the car to bridgeway motors in Thrissur and have them take a look. It’s right by the highway, you won’t miss it.

Coastal star kochi is a new dealership that was set up maybe a year ago max. All their employees are new and they may not have the technician expertise to fix such niggles.

I believe the management at Mercedes and Coastal Star are in touch. We are awaiting a resolution any time soon

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th June 2023 at 07:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks