Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2022, 21:47   #286
BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Pure urban driving is no problem at all, it does pickup the 0-60 quite well.
Hello Narayan.

I think we share similar driving histories.

I have driven the Manza with the MJD engine for about a lakh kms. I have also driven the previous generation Indica (non turbo), the Turbo Indigo and a couple of other high capacity petrol engine vehicles for about 50K each.

I currently drive the 4 speed AT XL6 which I bought 3 months before the newer XL6 was released.

Just sharing my opinion after driving all of these engines. The MJD is a turbo diesel engine. Its not naturally aspirated like the XL6 (current and earlier versions). So the way MJD engines pick up speeds may not be the same in XL6. If you compare the petrol turbo TJET in the linea along with the MJD perhaps that would paint a fairer picture. The non turbo Indica was a sloth, comparatively. But that is a different discussion.

After I bought the XL6 I had to completely bring my expectations down to minimum and start the experience of driving the auto afresh. it was a new learning experience but much more rewarding and I am now able to drive it better with 6 adults onboard. When I used to drive it like I drove my manza i used to run dry in 400-450 kms. now I am able to get much more out of it.

I found the drivability to meet what my needs were. But, it is not an MJD like you say. The feel and the "push" may not be there.

The XL6 offers more than what my manza offered. It is the combination of 6 adult seats or 4 seats plus lot of luggage + updated engines + gearbox combo + safety tech etc for about 17 lakh now (I could be misquoting the price though). It does all of it well for the city + highway . Additionally I am told the newer engines offer a lot more kms per litre on the highway than the older XL6. It has its compromises to make but if its something we can live I think it makes a strong case for itself.

If am given an opportunity, perhaps I would trade my XL6 to the newer gen just for the added 2 gears since it makes the engine spin at lower rpms in the highway speeds.
TorqMaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 02:06   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Can you please tell us about the FE in pure city drive conditions, if you have the information?
My usage has been mostly on the highways and I got 14.1km/Ltr.
Rangy62 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:54   #288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
If am given an opportunity, perhaps I would trade my XL6 to the newer gen just for the added 2 gears since it makes the engine spin at lower rpms in the highway speeds.
Your experience with the XL6 on hills, highways, with load etc is 'acceptable' to you, because you are driving the K15B with 4AT. Drive the K15C with 6AT and you will change your opinion. To this new ECU tune, what would be 'rich' AFR, will be 'stoic' AFR for normal engines. And I can't even imagine what 'lean' AFR for this new tune will be, it will be below the threshold of possibility for normal engines. The K15C tuning, along with the 6AT, feels like MSIL has pushed it too much to the other side. FE gain shouldn't be at the cost of driveability. The 1500cc engine with their choice of tall gears in the 6AT feels like an 800cc engine is attached to a 7 seater car.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 14:59   #289
BHPian

Hi all, did my first long trip few days back, though of sharing the feedback as many are confused about the performance of 2022 XL6, due to the engine & gearbox tuning.

Model: XL6 alpha+ AT (July 2022)
Kms till now: ~1900
Mileage:
Max: 20.5 kmpl on highways with occasional cruise control at around 90. But never drove for mileage, so many hard acceleration & definitely NO slow acceleration. The stretch where I drove at 100-120 for 20-30 mins and 70-90 for remaining time, i got around 20.29 kmpl (ref attached pic - there was a tea stop where I didn't turn off engine, hence avg speed is little less).
Min: ~7-10 in Bangalore City traffic (considering trips longer than 5kms only).

People coming from MT (like me) would take some time to get used to AT. Here gear shift are done by ECU, so we need to somehow inform ECU when you want to downshift ONCE and accelerate. My experience is, if you floor pedel, it'll get confused and downshift multiple times and we loose the window for overtaking. Slight tap on accelerator or lifting leg & pressing again would give more desirable results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
My concern is on spending 15L and then finding its going to struggle a Krishnagiri-Hosur or Metuppalayam-Conoor. The Carens Prestige Plus 1.5D retailing at 17.6L is a tempting proposition.
Drove Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch in full load (4 adults + 1 kid + full load luggage including bags kept between middle row captain seats) - didn't feel much lack of acceleration compared to how it was driving till then in normal highways. Definitely it wasn't struggling & wasn't a sloth. Only difference is I'm talking about 6AT here, not sure about MT.

Yet to test in proper western ghats road, will update once i try.

I'd say if you like diesel, go for it, as petrols can't beat diesel when it comes to high torque situations. But remember the effect of BS6 on diesel engines. For Carens turbo petrol, you'll get DCT gear box, which has its own advantages and issues, so again it's a personal decision. But obviously, in any case turbo engines perform better than NA engines. I was confused between these 3 models before buying, finally went for the one that would give minimum issues in long run, as that's most important for me. So it's upto your personal preference on which one to select, but just wanted to tell XL6 AT won't struggle with full load as you thought before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Your concerns are valid, XL6 will do the highway stretch adequately but western ghats will give you some oops moments because of the automatic transmission. AT seems like it has not been through any hill testing.
Planning to drive through proper high range soon, will update. But with limited testing, it performed well in steep inclines (where even our old Qualis & Alto K10 would climb in 1st gear only) & in roads like Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Drive the K15C with 6AT and you will change your opinion.
Not exactly, I've test driven old & new XL6 many times before buying, including few steep inclines. The difference isn't that much. Main difference comes when you do outright acceleration - though old XL6 performs bit better than new one (test drives were done on different cars from 2021 aug to 2022 may) it's also slow compared to turbo charged cars (which is what most of the people are comparing against). So if you want outright performance, don't go for either of XL6. But both give "similar acceptable" performance.

So IMHO, its a personal choice when it come to purchase - if you want NA engine vs Turbo engine, DCT/AMT vs TC/CVT gearboxes, Japanese reliability vs others etc.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-img_20221001_140749.jpg  

vnm008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:07   #290
BHPian

I don't find an option to edit previous post, so writing in new post :
Mileage figures shown in HU are pretty accurate, it showed 17.7 kmpl tank full - tank full after the long trip, actual was 16.9 kmpl when calculated manually.
vnm008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 17:28   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

@vnm008 - Astonishing mileage figures but in our 500+Km trip that included Coorg, it returned around the average of the two figures you have quoted - 20 at best and 7 in the worst of scenarios = what we saw in the MID as 12.8 kmpl

I think that is fair considering any petrol vehicle that has a 1.5L engine would consume about that much , this has added seats, an additional AC and 6 healthy adults, not to mention a slushbox.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 22:45   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@vnm008 - Astonishing mileage figures but in our 500+Km trip that included Coorg, it returned around the average of the two figures you have quoted - 20 at best and 7 in the worst of scenarios = what we saw in the MID as 12.8 kmpl

I think that is fair considering any petrol vehicle that has a 1.5L engine would consume about that much , this has added seats, an additional AC and 6 healthy adults, not to mention a slushbox.
I believe that's coz of the difference in route. Mysore road isn't as good as this route, then Mysore to Coorg is again roads where mileage would drop. And, the overall mileage i got was 17.7 kmpl as per HU (tank full too tank full, with ~450kms highways, ~150kms on two lane roads in Kerala & ~45-60mins of idling for AC during short breaks).

Either way, like you said, both are fair numbers considering 6 seater petrol AT with additional AC setup
vnm008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:44   #293
BHPian

Thanks to everyone who have been posting their experiences and FE numbers with the 2022 XL6.
It seems the power delivery is not that bad but has the FE really improved compared to K15B ? City mileage of 7-10 is not bad for a 1.5 Petrol AT, but it does not seem that the smart hybrid has provided any FE gain.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:44   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who have been posting their experiences and FE numbers with the 2022 XL6.
It seems the power delivery is not that bad but has the FE really improved compared to K15B ? City mileage of 7-10 is not bad for a 1.5 Petrol AT, but it does not seem that the smart hybrid has provided any FE gain.
That’s the impression I got from the thread too till I got my vehicle. Daily city commute of 50+km, getting 15.5+ comfortably. Also, frankly speaking, the power is sufficient for city traffic or anything upto 80-90.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 01:43   #295
BANNED

Quote:
Great to see many owners calling out that the review and subsequent negative early discussion in this thread - specifically regarding the performance of XL6.

Then the mods must explain why the review and subsequent discussion was out of touch with reality as experienced by actual owners.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2023 at 05:18. Reason: Do not discuss mod actions on the open forum
PYSO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 07:50   #296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Great to see many owners calling out that the review and subsequent negative early discussion in this thread - specifically regarding the performance of XL6.

Then the mods must explain why the review and subsequent discussion was out of touch with reality as experienced by actual owners.
I won't comment on the innuendo but irrespective of what the owners "feel", some basic facts don't change.

The 0-100 kmph timing for the 4AT XL6 (11.8 seconds) is a full 6 seconds less than the 6AT XL6(17.9/18.1 seconds). 6 seconds is a LOT. It makes a lot of difference in the way you drive on the highway.

Quote:
From the reported FE number here, the K15C seems to be heads and shoulders above the K15B in terms of fuel economy. There is simply no way the 4AT + K15B combo would deliver anywhere near 20kmpl of you hold the speedometer needle north of 100kmph for 20-30 minutes at a stretch coupled with hard acceleration (like some members have reported here). From what I can see, there is a 4kmpl improvement over the older powertrain in every situation.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2023 at 05:18. Reason: Quoted post edited
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 07:57   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

I don’t think there is any bias in the review. The feel and perception of a vehicle varies from person to person and their style of driving. The reviewer has only mentioned what his views are.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th January 2023 at 05:19. Reason: Quoted post edited
Rangy62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:13   #298
BHPian

0-100 timings really matter when at standstill. Can’t really understand how this matters on a highway drive. Overtaking is done when when you’re already at a certain speed and need to coax a little more to over take. Could someone enlighten me on this point of view.
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:42   #299

I have driven the car for about 9000 kilometers now and here are some of my updates.

1. The engine performance is not good by any stretch of imagination, but it does the job OK in its intended purpose ie as a family carrier. ( This is coming from a guy who loves to drive and had city 1.5 VTEC previously)

2. Mileage is pretty good, i routinely get 16 to 18kmpl on highway drives. With 6 people and their luggage (luggage space is an issue) i would get 14 to 16kmpl. Have never gone below 10kmpl in the city (Kochi).

3. In manual mode there is no battery regen charging as noted earlier and also the auto stop start system is disabled. So both together should hurt economy somewhat.

4. The auto stop start system is way too aggressive to kick in. In many
cases it will switch off the engine even before the vehicle comes to a stop.

5. The biggest issue I had with the car was its infotainment system. Its the smart play pro one. It doesn't have arcamys branding on it. Its by far the buggiest system i have seen. Some bugs are:
A. It will randomly disconnects the audio part of bluetooth as in i can still take calls but cant stream music. You need to unpair and re-pair your device to fix it.
B. If you take a call using the onscreen button rather than the steering controls it will hang the system 9 out of 10 times.
C. Sometimes it will randomly stop connecting to an already paired phone. This happens to iphones, andorid
D. Sound stage isn't exactly great.

Only way out is to use android auto which will avoid a lot of the issues. The service center guys did do an update but it didn't solve any of the issues. As I haven't seen any such stories here I am assuming its a one off case in my car. The service center has promised to replace under warranty as they could easily replicate the issues. Lets see how that goes.
carreragt6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:15   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Please, if you do so - sell your 4 speed XL6 AT to me.

Afterwards, when you've driven the K15C coupled 6 speed AT, you can drive mine and despair over what you've lost.

And seriously, the 4 speed AT does very well on the highway. It spins at low RPMs at cruising speeds on the highway. It is in the city that it bares its old 1980s-technology fangs and delivers very low fuel efficiency.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks