Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 20:26   #1471
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham View Post
May be I wasn't clear. What I meant was during bumper to bumper traffic whenever it's not moving I keep the gear in N instead of D. However to move I always shift to D. Thankfully my route doesn't see much B2B traffic
In stop-go traffic, I let it be in D while using brakes to keep the vehicle stationary. I read somewhere, think it's owner's manual, that engaging & disengaging the clutch (D to N & back) causes more wear and tear than staying put in D. However, If I anticipate a longer wait time like in traffic lights then I put it in N & engage parking brakes.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:51   #1472
BHPian

Team,

I have weird issue with my Slavia and need some guidance. Mine is a manual 1.5. Today the Service diagnosed that when he pressed the clutch half and leaves it, it does not come back. It slowly crawls all the way down and holds that position. However if the clutch is pressed all the way down then there is no problem. It behaves fine.

I had to change the front bumper and condenser since I had hit a dog on a highway. They found the clutch issue accidentally while doing a test drive post fixing the new bumper and condenser.

Can anybody tell me what the root cause of this clutch behaviour. Thanks for all your support. They are currently in the process of opening the gear box to check for any leakage. There is no leakage found externally
Old 28th July 2023, 13:08   #1473
BHPian

My Ciaz was still newish and I had no intention of buying the Slavia but since I was an old Skoda customer I took a couple of test drives. After the second drive I felt the compelling need to get one!. So the Ciaz went out and in came the Slavia 1.0 active manual. The purchase experience was smooth at Tafe and I took delivery in the 3rd week of march 2022.

The overall comfort is what stands out. The package of the seats, the ride and the low nvh levels(at lower rpms) results in almost zero driver and passenger fatigue even after a 800-900km drive on a single day. The same trip in the family Innova leaves me disabled for a few days. I have had longer trips in larger European sedans and even they leave you with aches and pains. The seats are soft,large and reasonably supportive. If you are big and tall like me they are a god send. I have had back problems for the last couple of years and the Slavia does a better job than the Ciaz at keeping me pain free. Flat and mature are the best words to describe the ride. Large bumps at very slow speeds do filter in but even then it is not uncomfortable. Most bad roads do not even resister a presence in the cabin. The stiff shell and the flat ride prevent the usual undulations from transferring into your body. The Slavia has the ride of a car two or three segments above. How VWAG managed this without any magnetic damping or other wizardry is beyond me. My backseat passengers too have found the ride to be comfortable and not very tiring.The ground clearance is exceptional- There are no scrapes or hits even in places where the Innova manages to ground. The biggest speedbreakers do not cause any difficulty with even a full load of passengers and luggage. Anyone can manage a Ladhak trip or two safely. The under chassis protection is reasonable and most monsoon affected roads are also dealt with easily.

The handling is a miracle when you consider the ride and the ground clearance at play. The car stays quite flat through most corners and steering is certainly more alive than the unit in the Ciaz. It does not compare to the old fiesta but is acceptable for what it does. Where it does lack is at lower speed through tighter corners-the understeer becomes extremely pronounced and you need to keep yourself from getting caught off guard.The halogen skoda crystal vision units are a million times better than what was there on the rapid. Night driving is stress free and I have no intention of ever buying any led bulbs. The led drl gives good visibility to oncoming traffic in poor weather. The gearbox does not hold a candle to the gem that was there in the ciaz but is OK. The sixth gear could have been taller as the engine note gets a little high at faster highway speeds.The 1.0 tsi engine lets you down only very low down in the rev range and transforms as revs and speeds build up. I have never felt any shortcomings and have no regrets about not buying the 1.5l. Most highway traffic can be left behind whenever you feel the need to do so. The brakes lack ultimate bite but is acceptable and safe. The abs is more on the limit than was on the ciaz but this is a good thing. The only issue I faced was having to get the pads and rotors replaced early on due to a grinding noise that never went away. The dealer did this free of cost.The stock Ciats were traded in for Continentals of the same profile. Works like a dream. This is a upgrade most people should consider. The Ciats are reasonable but the change to the continentals immediately improved both ride and handling. The continentals do have a tendency to pick up stones in the thread and this contributes to the wobbling issue I describe later.

I have touch wood not experienced any of the problems mentioned in these threads. The active variant has the manual ac which works a treat in any conditions. There is a wobbling issue which has never gone away. It comes and goes at certain speeds and very specific stretches of road. The narrow range of the problem has meant that it does not bother me much. I drove another active slavia and it had the same issue. It might be related to the steel wheels/hub interface. The brake rotors and pads were replaced early on for noise issues but the problem has not cropped up again. Using the disk wiping(windscreen washer in dry conditions triggers it) seems to help. This 1.0 motor consumes oil and the manual tells you so. A small top up after 10k km is needed. Keep your eye on the dipstick every week or so. A small can of 0 20w oil in the boot is always helpful. The service from the local dealers here in BLR has been exceptional and is on par with any Maruti outfit. The spares seem affordable. For example a side mirror costs 1/5th of the one on the Innova. The 4 years service package does not cover wheel alignment and this is a small irritant. There was a impact with a stray dog(which happily walked off). The damage was covered by insurance and the dealer made the entire process very smooth. There were three campaigns performed in the last few months including rerouting of wiring in the wiper panel, a.c software update and refitting of a cowl panel. My Slavia has not had any major squeaks or rattles. It feels as well built as my old rapid.
The fuel consumption varies a lot with your driving style. Normal highway speeds gives an average of 16.5km to the liter on Shell regular petrol. Any faster and it drops like a brick. The auto switch off feature conspires(it can be a pain) to give a mileage of around 13 in heavy city traffic but here too a light foot helps.

Other negatives

The suspension crashes nosily into potholes at higher speeds but unlike in the rapid there is no damage that occurs. The higher ground clearance translates into some swaying at higher speeds in extreme crosswinds but is a non issue under most conditions. Till my last check the local emission centers did not perform emission checks on the Slavia since it was not listed in the software. I hopped across the border to AP where the nearest testing center gladly did the needful.

Overall conclusion

The Slavia is exceptional value for money. It gives levels of comfort that are only found in cars costing the north side of 50 lakhs. Skoda has listened to its customers and the negatives of the rapid are mostly gone. I want to call it a mini Audi but that would be an insult to what is a bespoke and robustly engineered product in its own right. I have some choice words for those joining the boring suv brigade but heck.... to each his own. I will keep adding to this thread whenever I can
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-whatsapp-image-20230726-13.24.24s.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-whatsapp-image-20230726-13.28.12x.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-whatsapp-image-20230726-13.24.24a.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-whatsapp-image-20230726-12.53.551.jpg  

peugeot96 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 15:26   #1474
BHPian

Hi, We are planning to buy the Top end Slavia (Lava Blue edition with additional features) for our sister, and we wish to know the ownership review of the DQ200 with the 1.5-litre engine.
I understand Skoda has come a long way from those notoriously infamous days of ASS, but since I don't have any Skoda owners in my circle, I want to know how secure we are with 4+2 years of std and extended warranty. We tend to drive sensibly and do not fiddle much with the manual mode, but is there any Skoda experience (DQ200) that should be of concern before deciding to buy?
Old 28th July 2023, 17:58   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Hi, We are planning to buy the Top end Slavia (Lava Blue edition with additional features) for our sister, and we wish to know the ownership review of the DQ200 with the 1.5-litre engine.
I understand Skoda has come a long way from those notoriously infamous days of ASS, but since I don't have any Skoda owners in my circle, I want to know how secure we are with 4+2 years of std and extended warranty. We tend to drive sensibly and do not fiddle much with the manual mode, but is there any Skoda experience (DQ200) that should be of concern before deciding to buy?
Any specific reason your sister wants a 1.5 DSG? If she ain't an enthusiast, I'd suggest the 1.0 TC unless you want to have fun in between.

DSG will always remain a question mark in terms of reliability. If you stick to the service schedules etc, they will honour the warranty during the period in case things go wrong. But after the warranty, you're on your own unless reliable DSG repairs become a thing at that point of time.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 07:48   #1476
BHPian

I finally took delivery of my Slavia 1.5 DSG yesterday from TAFE access, St Mark's Road. Covered around 130 kms already and the car is a hoot to drive around in!

The only problem I find is that the 8 inch infotainment cannot connect with my S23 Ultra for Android Auto, which I previous Ciaz had zero issues connecting with. I read online that it is a common problem and SW update is in the works for resolution, but this was not something I expected to have issues with in the first place.

Will be getting the Ceramic Coating done this week and also a Wolfbox i07 Dashcam installed. Will keep this thread updated on the ownership experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_7072.jpeg  

StripleRider03 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 09:16   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripleRider03 View Post
I finally took delivery of my Slavia 1.5 DSG yesterday from TAFE access, St Mark's Road. Covered around 130 kms already and the car is a hoot to drive around in!
Congratulations , Happy to see one more Red Slavia hit the road
Gotham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 13:55   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Any specific reason your sister wants a 1.5 DSG? If she ain't an enthusiast, I'd suggest the 1.0 TC unless you want to have fun in between.

DSG will always remain a question mark in terms of reliability. If you stick to the service schedules etc., they will honour the warranty during the period in case things go wrong. But after the warranty, you're on your own unless reliable DSG repairs become a thing at that point of time.
I won't drive the car, as she will move after the wedding. But we chose 1.5 over 1.0 because it comes with the top variant, the value for power quotient as you get a better car, and that 1.5 should be better in operations and reliability/wear/tear than 1.0 for the long term.
The only eyesore is the DQ200, and the doubt deepens after an almost unprofessional and stupid dialogue with the Slavia sales guy who came for TD, who "Declared" DQ200 have no more issues, with no testimony or reasoning.

Also, I noticed in different forums the more chosen car amongst the twin is Virtus. Wondering if it's just a subjective choice or if there are some valid reasons to choose VW over Skoda.
Old 29th July 2023, 14:55   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
...I noticed in different forums the more chosen car amongst the twin is Virtus. Wondering if it's just a subjective choice or if there are some valid reasons to choose VW over Skoda.
If you ask me, it is just a subjective choice. Only advantage that the Virtus has is the 10 inch display over the 8 inch one in the Slavia.

Mod's Note: Please quote only the portion of the original post that's required to set a context. Quoting the whole post for a 1 or 2 line reply is entirely avoidable
StripleRider03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 17:31   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
I won't drive the car, as she will move after the wedding. But we chose 1.5 over 1.0 because it comes with the top variant, the value for power quotient as you get a better car, and that 1.5 should be better in operations and reliability/wear/tear than 1.0 for the long term.
The only eyesore is the DQ200, and the doubt deepens after an almost unprofessional and stupid dialogue with the Slavia sales guy who came for TD, who "Declared" DQ200 have no more issues, with no testimony or reasoning.

Also, I noticed in different forums the more chosen car amongst the twin is Virtus. Wondering if it's just a subjective choice or if there are some valid reasons to choose VW over Skoda.
The top variant is Style and it comes with 1.0 Tsi and 1.5 Tsi both, so you can get the top variant of 1.0 engine if you want. Even 1.0 tsi has more than enough power, 114 Bhp and around 178 Nm of torque, that is more than what the competition offers with their non turbo or 1.0 Turbo engines.

Moreover the 1.0 Tsi comes with Aisin torque converter unit which is very reliable and the shifts are fast too. You have 4 years of standard warranty and 2 years of extended warranty too, recently Škoda has announced extended warranty(7th and 8th year) for their other cars, so you can get that too in future.
yesyeswe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 21:22   #1481

Hi All,

I am planning to buy Skoda Slavia next month. When I looked at the parts and services costs on Skoda website, it displayed a battery cost of ~14,000 which looks way higher to me. Should we stick to Skoda provided battery or can I replace it with any other batteries. Also will this impact any of the warranty

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-capture.png  

Old 1st August 2023, 12:01   #1482
BHPian

I have an spare Motorola MA-1 Android Auto wired -to-wireless adapter bought from the US a few months back that I want to sell as it is an extra and not being used. It's been sparingly used, just to test out functionality on the Slavia 8 inch system.
Pls DM me if someone in interested.
Game_of_Roads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:19   #1483
BHPian

Hi guys, people who have recently purchased or booked the Slavia 1.5, can I know the sort of discounts one is able to extract before I book mine and negotiate better?

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:25   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
Hi guys, people who have recently purchased or booked the Slavia 1.5, can I know the sort of discounts one is able to extract before I book mine and negotiate better?

Thanks
I took delivery of my Slavia 1.5 MT Ambition last week. If I remember correctly, there were variant specific discounts going on for the month of July. The 1.0 TSI models got 10k and 1.5 TSI got 25k discounts respectively. I'm not sure about the 1.0 TSI trim discounts. I got 25k discount for my 1.5 MT.

They were providing corporate discounts of 60k and exchange bonus of 60k. Then again, I remember these were different inbetween the two engine trims. On insurance, there is a wiggle room for matching quotes from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_20230802_141611.jpg  

Guppy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 18:42   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I took delivery of my Slavia 1.5 MT Ambition last week. If I remember correctly, there were variant specific discounts going on for the month of July. The 1.0 TSI models got 10k and 1.5 TSI got 25k discounts respectively. I'm not sure about the 1.0 TSI trim discounts. I got 25k discount for my 1.5 MT.

They were providing corporate discounts of 60k and exchange bonus of 60k. Then again, I remember these were different inbetween the two engine trims. On insurance, there is a wiggle room for matching quotes from outside.
Did you get discount of ~3 lakhs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks