Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 11:52   #2176
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeruvk View Post
Hi all,

I am planning for a purchase of Skoda Slavia this week. I have two options with me: a 2024 Style 1.0 AT Tornado Red or a 2023 Style 1.5 DSG Carbon Steel, both new from showroom. The price difference between both models are minimal. My family badly wanted the car in Red.

I loved driving the 1.5 DSG, but I feel its too much for my routine Bangalore traffic drives. This car is going to stay with me for the next 8-10 years at least and I still have my 2015 VW Polo manual TDI back at home.
I would highly recommend picking the 1.5DSG if you are someone who loves driving and plans to keep the car for long term.

I have done this error of picking the Slavia 1Ltr AT and using it for 2 years and sold it off and bought Virtus 1.5 DSG. While the 1Ltr does the job you will always end up wondering asking yourself what if?!

Pick Slavia or Virtus but pick 1.5 DSG.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5779487 (Volkswagen Virtus Review)
punto_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 12:18   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Pick Slavia or Virtus but pick 1.5 DSG.
I have read your review! It's your post that made me check for 1.5 DSG, I drove a 1.5 manual few days back and then the DSG yesterday. Even though its slightly out of my budget, I wanted to hence reconsider. Thanks for the wonderful review, the black Virtus look amazing!

But I really wish to get the new infotainment setup and it's kind of bothering me.
neeruvk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 12:32   #2178

Quote:
I have read your review! It's your post that made me check for 1.5 DSG, I drove a 1.5 manual few days back and then the DSG yesterday. Even though its slightly out of my budget, I wanted to hence reconsider. Thanks for the wonderful review, the black Virtus look amazing!

But I really wish to get the new infotainment setup and it's kind of bothering me.
I'm in a similar boat as yours, and I've been pondering between 1.5 DSG 2023 variant and 2024 1.5 MT Elegance Edition (both of them are within 10k Rs. of each other).

Now, I do agree the DSG is an awesome gearbox to have, but I'm gonna be keeping this car for 8+ years and god-forbid I have any issues with the gearbox or clutch plate in the future, I'd want the fix/replacement of those parts to be cheaper and not burn a hole through my pocket.

Also, the 10 inch infotainment system comes with wireless android auto and apple carplay, so that's a big +1 IMO. The eletric seats and a few others features are just good-to-have, but for the 1.5L extra that you're paying for the 2024 model, you have a peace of mind that you're getting something straight out of the factory OR at max a few months old. Buying an year old car comes with its own set of issues, like the fluids need to be changed, and you've got to be extra extra careful while doing PDI.

See, you have to weigh in the pros and cons of each model -- If there was >2L discount on the 1.5 DSG 2023 model (like it was during last month's sale), it makes sense to just get it, but if both 1.5 MT (2024) and 1.5 DSG (2023) are of the same price, I'd prefer something newer.
mayanksha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 11:41   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanceStarter View Post

Shall keep you all posted with more details as the days pass.
Saiba, Im from Ponda. Would like to know your experience so far. Sang mhaka masso. Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 13:47   #2180
BHPian

Have been using the car daily from last few days only for city runs. I salute folks who are putting up with such pathetic AC performance daily.

Also, I went too fast over an undulation on ring road at Dhaula Kuan underpass. It was too late to brake and I was near triple digit speeds and late in the night. Boom, the front suspension made a loud thud and car appears a bit raised post that, the drive on Greater Noida Expressway was so bad that 80 kmph felt as if I am going at 150 kmph.

Stupid mistake by me that could have been avoided. Taking her to Skoda this weekend. Brite has opened up a new SC just couple of KMs from my place!

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2024 at 19:02.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 10:14   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Have been using the car daily from last few days only for city runs. I salute folks who are putting up with such pathetic AC performance daily.
Is the AC performance this bad? Also which year model is your car?
Old 14th June 2024, 11:24   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayhonda View Post
April-2023. Yes it is pathetic in the current conditions when temperatures are constantly above 40 degrees cel.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 12:40   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksha View Post
but for the 1.5L extra that you're paying for the 2024 model, you have a peace of mind that you're getting something straight out of the factory OR at max a few months old. Buying an year old car comes with its own set of issues, like the fluids need to be changed, and you've got to be extra extra careful while doing PDI.
I agree! I was told by the dealer that the chassis make is 2023 but the car was assembled at the plant 50+ days back, so he said not to worry about the oil, tires etc. I am believing him right now, and not wondering too much if it has been in their yard under sun for an year. I will have to be careful during the PDI though, I'm thinking still to go ahead with this.

All put together, I'm getting it on road for 20.1L with SMP and 4+1 warranty. If I go for the new 2024 model for similar price, I will have to choose the 1.0 AT instead.
Old 16th June 2024, 08:19   #2184

Quote:
Hi all,

I am planning for a purchase of Skoda Slavia this week. I have two options with me: a 2024 Style 1.0 AT Tornado Red or a 2023 Style 1.5 DSG Carbon Steel, both new from showroom. The price difference between both models are minimal. My family badly wanted the car in Red.

I loved driving the 1.5 DSG, but I feel its too much for my routine Bangalore traffic drives. This car is going to stay with me for the next 8-10 years at least and I still have my 2015 VW Polo manual TDI back at home.

If I go for the 2023 model, I will miss out on the 10" infotainment system with amp and subwoofer, electric seats (I don't think I want it anyway) and footwell lamps (not a problem). This is what I've currently understood in terms of features.

My question here was, will I regret using the 8" screen and speakers? I listened to it but in a 2023 Kushaq which has 2 speakers less compared to Slavia. I really wanted the bass and wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay from the 2024. But the 2023 audio quality is still great baring what I have mentioned, even the UI looks old in the smaller screen. And then the idea of cables lying around for an Apple and Android device when I could have wirelessly used charging and navigation!

Also, will I be able to upgrade the infotainment system in the future? Are the 10" screen, amp and subwoofer plug-ins? When I asked at the showroom, they said its not possible.
Hi Neeruvk,

Here are my two cents.

* If your usage is predominantly in the city, 1.0 TC makes more sense than 1.5 DSG. TC is a more versatile autobox which can handle Indian summer heat and traffic conditions better.
* If you would be driving 90% in the city, please rule out honda city cvt first. As it's a great car to drive in the city, plus that v variant offers good VFM. There will be no turbo lag here as there is no turbo 😀
* Please don't compromise on the car colour, you will always feel it in the back of your mind.
* Also I would say don't compromise on 10 inch screen, Subwoofer, wireless carplay and powered seats. All of these are great trust me.
* If your mind is set on 1.5, rule out the MT variant first before going with DSG. And I would advice to get the latest variant, and may be chose virtus GT just for GT bragging rights 😀
* There will be a facelift soon, that's why there is so much discounts on older variants (without ES). You can even think of the facelifted version which will have ADAS, 360 degree camera, updated grille and headlights I believe. And some more smaller stuff.
* The latest variants don't just have the extra features they have also incorporated user feedback, at least from Slavia's perspective I can say that there are some minor fixes like the area surrounding gear liver is not in Piano black plastic now as many had complained about the scratches. And many such smaller fixes would be there in the updated versions.

I wish you happy miles and congratulations in advance
Live.Love.Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 19:25   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live.Love.Drive View Post
Hi Neeruvk,

Here are my two cents.
I wish you happy miles and congratulations in advance
Hi Live.Love.Drive, thank you for the inputs. Appreciate it! I kind of finalised my deal, waiting for the final few steps until delivery.

I am a VW fan but did not like the Virtus when comparing it with Slavia, and they're not providing any good discounts as well. But I understand they're selling well/maybe better than Slavia. The sales and service seems to be much better from Skoda compared to VW, just my opinion that I felt over the past few weeks while checking out showrooms.

And regarding the facelift Slavia, what I heard is the plan for its launch is not untill mid year 2025. Skoda seems to be putting their current focus only on launching Enyaq, their first EV.
neeruvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 09:12   #2186
BHPian

So I have completed 68K on my slavia 1.0 and it was doing pretty well. Yesterday, without a warning, the car stalled with the EPC indicator on. I tried to restart the ignition but to no avail. Called up the guy who helped during the purchase, and he told me to turn it off, wait for some time and get the car refueled with XP95. He said there have been some changes to the alcohol content in the regular petrol due to which all BS6 and above cars are going to have problems.
In the meantime, he himself arrived, and we did get it refueled and it ran smoothly for about another 45 km before stalling again. The same EPC indicator was on again. I left the car there because luckily this time I was to the left and came back again in the evening to pick up, and reached back home. This time the oil indicator was on. I wonder what's wrong and whether I will be able to reach the service center which is roughly 40 km away from my place.
Old 17th June 2024, 15:46   #2187

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Quote:
Let me share a different perspective.

Slavia 1.0 Style AT, March 2022. The two service campaigns released by Skoda performed on the vehicle (performance was pathetic prior to these updates, couldn't sit in the cabin even at 17/18 degree Celsius, Auto or manual override).

Primary use case currently is in Noida/Chandigarh. Everyone's acquainted to the harsh summers of 2024, especially in the north. iOS shows me a max forecast of 45 degrees, Skoda temp sensor showed me a peak of 48.5 degrees in the ODO yesterday (16.06). Things have been so bad that you can experience 36-39 degrees even during late evenings, something I've only witnessed in Dubai when I used to live there.

As far as my experience goes, I set my ACC to 19 degrees & it is a chiller, irrespective of whether the vehicle is moving or stationery. Of course, it cools even better if the vehicle is cruising at highway speeds of 90-100 & then I have to re-adjust to 21. I used to drive a Honda City iDtec before this & also own a Polo GT parallelly. The only difference is psychological, at-least in my use case. The summer of 2024 has kind of relieved me by way of being so harsh, that it has re-iterated that the minimum temperature I'd have to go to will never be less than 19 degrees at auto climate control. Used to own a Dodge Charger in Dubai, ACC always set to 20/21.

The HVACs in both my GT & my now disposed off Honda are bone chillers, the only difference being I would set them at 22 degrees to derive the same result as I do now.

For me personally, it's been a subtle re-mapping of my understanding of HVACs. This one taught me to keep it at 19 & let go of my pre-existing notions (even though they are correct & somewhat standard across OEMs, 22 has always kind of been the sweet spot). This practice has in no way affected the car's FE. Driving to work in NCR fetches me 11-12 & my quarterly runs to Chandigarh give around 19-20 kmpl. The maximum I have been able to derive has been 23.8 driving from Delhi to Chandigarh with the cruise control set at 88 km/h.

Hope this helps.
Stellantis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:52   #2188

Quote:
Saiba, Im from Ponda. Would like to know your experience so far. Sang mhaka masso. Thanks
It's been good so far. Apologies to all for never coming up with any updates after the purchase. Have done 42,000 kms over 2 years and nearing 3rd service now. Touchwood the car hasn't needed any attention so far apart from the scheduled two services. The car is primarily used by my father for his daily commute to work.

Sadly we haven't got many opportunities for long drives over the last 2 years barring one drive where we did Goa - Hampi - Bidar - Solapur - Goa over 5 days. The car really shines on the highway and always feels held back by a leash on the crowded narrow Goan roads where it has spent majority of its time. Looking to correct that soon.

Regarding efficiency, dad is a fairly sedate driver and he manages to get an average of around 14 kmpl on his daily commute from Ponda to Quepem and back. I barely manage around 13 kmpl when I drive which is fair for the performance on offer. The best combination of mileage and average speed which I've managed was on the long drive wherein we managed 16.5 kmpl with an average speed of 85 kmph over 175 kms from Solapur to Sangli over the butter smooth highway.

About the DSG, as usual the faster you go, the better it gets. It's not very smooth in slow moving traffic and can get a bit frustrating there.

The car has been on the stock Ceat Secura Drive tyres and they are nearing the end of life too. One weird issue that I've faced with them is that the rear tyres have worn out in an uneven manner - meaning the diameter is not contant leading to a gentle "thud thud thud" sound while driving which I've noted recently. The tyres have never been rotated and although the front tyres have worn out a fair bit more, at least they are not uneven. I am hoping this isn't a case of the alloys bending and something to do with the tyres itself. Will get the tyres changed soon. Will mostly go for Yokohama Earth1 in the same 205/55 R16 size.

Attaching a couple of pictures from the long drive. First one clicked in Hampi. Second one clicked on the atrocious road from Khanapur to Anmod via Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-car1.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-car2.jpg  

AdvanceStarter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 18:04   #2189

The whole range variants have been renamed.

Skoda Slavia Review-gqwezi5xiaaiw3.jpeg
vigneash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 18:53   #2190

I just wanted to update you that Skoda Service Tafe Access Hosur Road Bangalore promptly acknowledged the issue. This sees to be the first car ever to have this problem. The entire AC unit with tanks, filters, compressor, hoses and pipes are replaced. This is a good service even though there was a slight delay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks