Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2024, 11:23   #2116
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Update after second annual service and 23k on the odo of my Slavia 1.0 Active.

Service cost was nil since it was prepaid. No complaints except for a slightly spongy clutch. The car held well against a second incident with a stray dog hitting it after I had crossed . The dog escaped none the worse for wear! The fender needed tinkering and painting which cost 6k.

There are no squeaks or rattles, the ride remains exceptional and combined cycle mileage hovers around 14 with Shell normal petrol. The Indianoil 95 octane brought down mileage to 11 so not using it. Might have been a bunk specific issue though. The one tank with HP 99 increased mileage to 16 but the price is too much for the gain. I will need to keep a watch on how the clutch issue progresses. IMHO still the best sedan bellow 40 lakhs in the Indian market.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2024 at 12:28. Reason: Please capitalise words where needed. Thanks.
peugeot96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 23:28   #2117
Distinguished - BHPian

I just completed the 2yr/30k kms service
Apart from some random rattles in the roof liner area and a loose dashboard which was fixed, the car is running pretty flawless and does 50:50 mix of city and highway runs. I had used the car for 12k kms after the last service and was not feeling good about the engine oil being used for so long. Apart from that, there were some updates and campaigns conducted on the car. The car is not very different compared to what it was before the service, so I expect that the oil didn't make a big difference which also proves how finely engineered the engine is. Service cost was covered under SMP so I only ended up paying for some consumables.

What I am also surprised from the last few thousand kms is that the FE has improved very much. Gone are the days I used to get single digit FE and now it's always in double digits, without much of a change in my driving habits. Even the last Mysore expressway trip where I was pretty fast due to very light traffic, I ended up getting 16kmpl. My office commute returns between 10.5-12.5 depending on traffic. For statistics sake, out of the 50 odd times I have done a tankful of petrol so far, I have used 91 octane only once, Shell V power twice, HP power 95 four times, and the rest being XP95 itself. Power 95 is somewhat smoother than XP95 with similar performance, but V power smoothens the drive but also results in power drop due to it being 91 octane.
Skoda Slavia Review-img_1774.jpeg

One issue I have observed is with the tyre deflation warning which has given me false warnings twice with no explainable reason in the last 22k kms. As a reliability record that's pretty passable, but both the times, I have had a spirited highway run(with tyre pressures accurately checked) and this warning pops up after I reach my destination town. I can't even calibrate the system and end up getting tyre pressures checked just to find they are not even 1psi apart.

It's almost two years but my Slavia 1.5 DSG has already crossed 22k kms, which was pretty higher than what I expected when I brought the car. But the car just begs to be driven again and again, longer and longer. So thanks to this feature, I have almost left the Crysta for my Dads sole use and stick to the Slavia all the time. The other reason being some changes in my personal life has added a drive to Tumkur as a routine in addition to my earlier drives to Kolar.
Skoda Slavia Review-dsc02952-1.jpeg

Recently had been to Ooty and loved the car in those hairpin bends and the Mysore expressway as usual. Fantastic handling, braking(1.5), excellent NVH at high speeds and the tyres are keeping up at their half life without any change in road noise etc.

The rear windshield got shattered due to metro construction debris falling on the car when I drove under it. This happened last Monday and was also the reason to advance the service by a month. As I drove back from work, I passed below the upcoming Bellandur metro station where there was construction going on overhead the traffic. There was one portion which did not have safety nets and something fell on the glass and within a second I realised the car got its first actual damage in the last two years. Due to it being a crowded area, I did not get an opportunity to stop right at the spot and create a scene. I parked a few meters ahead and tried to walk back to the place where the incident happened but couldn't find anyone at ground level to speak to. Hence I resumed my commute back home and immediately started working on the next steps.
Skoda Slavia Review-img_2241.jpeg

I needed the car by Thursday for an upcoming trip and the guys at Tafe especially Mr. Krishna went beyond their means to get this fixed in no time and finish the periodic maintenance as well. The glass was not in stock at the dealership and as I called them right after the incident, they had placed an order for the part the same evening even though it was beyond the cutoff time. Kudos to them for a speedy fix.

The order for the part was placed on Monday, I left the car on Tuesday, the part arrived Wednesday late afternoon and was immediately fixed that late evening and I received the car Thursday afternoon which was wonderful. I was not so sure if they would fix it so soon since there was a room for lot of possible delays especially since the part had to arrive and then there was also a curing time required for the adhesive. Another advantage was not claiming insurance, because that would have added to the delays. The replacement costed 9200 and 2500 for interior cleaning since there was glass pieces everywhere in the cabin, boot as well as in the insides of the surrounding trim. The rear windshield itself costed 3800 and the adhesive being some 2500 and labour another 3000 odd.

The Metro contractor refunded the entire amount which was a good ending to the story after I had reported this matter to BMRCL and had a tough word with them. As soon as I received the car, they had asked me to come to their site office for a meeting and I expected some sort of defense from their end and arguments but it turned out to very apologetic tone and an immediate refund without any bureaucratic or paperwork related delays. Fact of the matter was that apart from a picture at the site of my car, there was nothing else to prove the entire turn of events. I couldn't even find the actual item that fell on my car due to the infamous Ecospace traffic jam.

I am told that safety nets are always mandatory but in this case one portion had its net removed to lift up something and that caused this issue. But all is well that ends well, and I would like to sincerely thank the Metro officials as well as the contractor for the immediate resolution, even though it would have been a serious incident had the same part fallen on a two wheeler rider or even a pedestrian.

I have a few planned mods on this car now for my own academics purpose - One is to upgrade the camera to a highline RVC with dynamic guidelines, and then to add direct TPMS. While the latter is to get rid of the false alarms, the former is because I got the Highland RVC for peanuts and both these features are CAN bus related changes which would be an experiment that would go both ways. Hence, if I am successful with the RVC, then I will be more confident to spend money on the TPMS setup.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st April 2024 at 23:32.
audioholic is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:11   #2118
BHPian

Got my Slavia Style 1.5 DSG MY23

The overall purchase experience is good. I found the pricing of Accessories at dealer is quite VFM.

Never knew the Engine hood insulation costs just Rs. 850. The other bits like window sun shades, side molding, black ORVMs were very well priced even the Trumpet horn is priced at 1500/-.

This goes to show that they genuinely want to sell accessories at good price. Not like Toyota wherein they do a day light robbery in terms of accessories. I literally got robbed while buying the Fortuner last year. Well done Skoda!

Special mention of the dealer Jagdish Skoda Bhopal, there was no drama or fuss in terms of insurance or any other charges. I just paid them for the car post cash discounts, TCS and TR. Everything went super smooth.

Got Extended warranty and 3 service packs free.

Straightaway went to dechrome the front grill post delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_4274.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_4277.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_4269.jpg  

sudeep.pandya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 08:29   #2119
BHPian

Got back from 5,500 KMs trip to Kerala. Impressed with how she drove on the non-existent MH roads. Odo is now close to 30K at the end of first year of ownership.

More details to follow, for now here is a picture from Harangi Dam, Coorg.

Skoda Slavia Review-img_2749.jpeg
sinharishi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 15:17   #2120
BHPian

1. Is anyone here able to observe a slight grinding/creaking sound close to full lock upon turning the steering right? Not too different from what I imagine this kushaq owner experienced:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5756473 (Skoda Kushaq Review)

2. Has anyone observed some sort of oily residue only on the right side tie rod as highlighted in the image below (taken from the Kushaq thread as mentioned above)

@audioholic and other owners can you perhaps try turning right (until full lock) at parking speeds in your basement parking or a quiet location with windows rolled up and let me know? Can you guys also check for this oily/greasy residue?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot-20240425-151406.png  

Old 25th April 2024, 20:54   #2121
BHPian

Finally found some time to clear up an old laptop and install VCDS. A huge shout out to BHPians audioholic and patchyboy for sharing all the info from their trials and experiments!

On my 1.0AT Slavia after enabling HVAC - cold tuning, more air - I observed that when crawling from halt, the engine RPM now drops below 1k which wouldn't happen earlier. While the engine doesn't stall of course, but the RPM dropping to 800 is definitely new. I haven't turned the HVAC setting back yet to confirm, but any thoughts on this? Anyone else on 1.0AT seen the RPM drop below 1k?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th April 2024 at 21:11. Reason: Typos
Old 26th April 2024, 00:23   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
Finally found some time to clear up an old laptop and install VCDS. A huge shout out to BHPians audioholic and patchyboy for sharing all the info from their trials and experiments!

On my 1.0AT Slavia after enabling HVAC - cold tuning, more air - I observed that when crawling from halt, the engine RPM now drops below 1k which wouldn't happen earlier. While the engine doesn't stall of course, but the RPM dropping to 800 is definitely new. I haven't turned the HVAC setting back yet to confirm, but any thoughts on this? Anyone else on 1.0AT seen the RPM drop below 1k?
Just an observation, I found the cooling to be faster and more effective with cold tuning, less air. I have the 1.5, so not really sure about the RPM going below 1k.
Old 26th April 2024, 16:32   #2123
BHPian

NCR Skoda / VW owners, in your opinion and experience, is the VW ASS better in this part of India or Skoda's? A relative is confused between the Slavia and Virtus and wants to buy the one with better ASS.
Old 26th April 2024, 22:34   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
NCR Skoda / VW owners, in your opinion and experience, is the VW ASS better in this part of India or Skoda's? A relative is confused between the Slavia and Virtus and wants to buy the one with better ASS.
I have experience with both - Polo and Slavia. The VW ASS at Noida is the best! The GM is always on the floor looking after the customers. Everything is transparent - the cars are serviced right in front of you.

With Skoda - Jai (Okhla) is terrible. The place is cramped and I had a poor experience dealing with them getting window switched replaced. Brite on the other hand is okayish, they don't let you in the service floor. The door to the service floor is always closed. However the SAs are good. I am going to try Jai Gurgaon in couple of weeks but if I had to chose between the 2 - VW anyday.
Old 27th April 2024, 07:55   #2125
BHPian

Any comments on 1.0 vs 1.5? Do most people go with the bigger one?
Old 27th April 2024, 16:54   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Most people go for the 1.0L, but with the introduction of the 1.5L engine in the Ambition variant, sales of it have increased a lot.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. As the owner of a Slavia 1.5L DSG, here's what I find different compared to the 1.0L:

1.0L engine:
  • Cheaper by a couple of lakhs
  • Sufficient power for everyday drives
  • Some turbo lag at city speeds
  • Slightly noisier compared to the 1.5L
  • Likely more reliable (AT)

1.5L engine:
  • Excellent performance
  • Costlier
  • No turbo lag
  • Very refined and smooth
  • Better mileage
  • May not be as reliable as the 1.0L (AT only)

Ultimately, it depends on your budget and usage. If you have low usage and are content with the power the 1.0L offers, there's no reason not to go for it. However, if you prefer more power and a refined experience, then the 1.5L is the better option.
MotorDev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 20:31   #2127
BHPian

It has been almost an year with my Slavia 1.5 MT. Although the manual transmission has been mostly fun, It feels as though something is missing. Upshifts, when mistimed makes everyone in the car lunge forward, has anyone else observed the same?

For example, I always complete upshift to 2nd as the rpm drops to 1800rpm where the transition is much smoother. Similarly 2nd to 3rd at 2000-2100rpm.

I've observed similar issues with the recent VAG manuals, where the common fix for this is deleting the clutch delay valve.

Although there are plenty of videos on this from NA regions. Surprisingly none from EU. Usually this CDV(Clutch Delay Valve) is present in the clutch slave cylinder. Not sure if Slavia/Virtus MT has the same. One will have to remove the airbox housing to check on the clutch bleeder valve.

Has anyone had the chance to remove the airbox housing on 1.5MT? Some images would be nice.

I'm also looking to install a short shifter. I'm looking into the DAP Short Shifter holyshift.
Guppy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 16:40   #2128
BHPian

Just came back from a 300 Kms round trip in my 1.5 DSG.

Now that this car is an upgrade from the Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD, also I own XUV 300 and a Fortuner. Therefore, there is going to be a comparison (Though all three cars are from totally different segments)

Been 1 Week of ownership and the ODO stands at 1100 Kms.

I don't think there is a better upgrade than this if you are coming from Punto.

Likes-
1. Silky smooth engine with next to no vibrations.
2. Effortless power delivery at any speed (No need to rev hard to extract performance). I think this aids in overall comfort during long distances.
3. Good balance of ride and handling.
4. Special mention of the sound quality of non-subwoofer variant (the vocals are rich and focused more towards SQ) I found subwoofer variant to loose out on pure SQ. I already have aftermarket premium sound systems in my other cars. No need to upgrade here. Excellent for a stock setup!
5. Steering is reasonably direct and there is enough feedback through the corners. Also, speed masking is excellent on straight lines.

Dislikes-
1. Suspension doesn't feel as robust or abuse friendly as a Punto or XUV300 (The suspension tend to bottom out on those XL sized speed breakers) Punto was in a different league altogether in terms of ruggedness. The ride quality on Punto was average but used to handle rough roads like a boss! (This doesn't give that confidence of saying- Dekhi Jaaegi, Jaane do Gaddi nu!
2. Some creaking sound has already started coming from the Dashboard area. Don't know how this is going to fare in the long run in terms of being 'Rattle free'.
3. DSG feels jerky specially when the engine is cold. However, the gearbox is behaving much better than Day-1/2 of driving.
4. A little bit more feedback from the steering would be welcome. Could have been more direct for sure.

Overall, the ownership experience has been good and I expect it to perform only better with time.

There's is something special about owning a sedan! This can only be experienced after getting one! And this one certainly feels extra special!

Time for some pictures from our last drive to Pachmarhi
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_4363.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_4361.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_4369.jpg  

sudeep.pandya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 20:14   #2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Both are good.

1.0 offers enough grunt to not feel underpowered. It has comparitively more reliable auto box, it offers almost the same driving dynamics.

Definitely don't skip to test drive 1.0 before 1.5

Thanks
Live.Love.Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 18:09   #2130
BHPian

Made some progress regarding the clutch delay valve delete on Slavia 1.5 MT

For the people who are not aware of this, Clutch Delay Valve(CDV) is basically a one-way restrictor valve located inside the clutch slave cylinder which slows the engagement of clutch. In simple terms, what this does is, when you dump the clutch post a gearshift, the clutch engages the flywheel at a slow pace no matter how fast you dump the clutch.

Why is it there in the first place?

As the clutch engages the flywheel slowly, it prevents driveline shock. A measure put in place for inexperienced drivers to avoid damaging the transmission due to improper shifts.

Now, lets talk about cons of having CDV,

1. As the clutch engages the flywheel slowly, it pretty much wears out the clutch plate much faster no matter how experienced of a driver you are.

2. Jerky upshifts, RPM drops a lot more due to the slow engagement.

Why delete CDV?

1. Smooth upshifts/downshifts

2. Better clutch life

3. Rev-matching will be much easier. Dumping the clutch with CDV doesn't feel right.

I've been following the golf MK7 scene for a while now. The best mod one can do is just delete the CDV.

I mean, we bought the 1.5 manual for reason. If we can extract more from it, why not?

So, this is the theory part of CDV delete. I managed to purchase the workshop manual for the car which includes the engine, gearbox, brakes, etc. From the looks of it, the slave cylinder resembles to that of the one on the golf's which is a good thing. Most likely, the slave cylinder will have a CDV inside.

Things that I'll have to do,

1. Remove the air intake housing.

2. Find the Clutch slave cylinder.

3. Proceed to remove the CDV from the slave cylinder.

4. Install the slave cylinder as it was and bleed the clutch.

I've never bled a clutch in my life. Planning to make a DIY clutch bleeder with a non-return check valve first. Hopefully, I can pull this off myself. Just by looking at the diagrams in the manual, I hope CDV is there inside the slave cylinder. Fingers crossed. I'll post further updates on this if I make any progress.

I'll have to find a way to upload the manual here as it is around 120mb, 2500+ pages. There seems to be a max size limit of 20mb here.

Should the hype around CDV delete be true, it is going to be a fun experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_20240502_180827.jpg  

Guppy is online now   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks