Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 13:17   #1936
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Hello everyone,

Our Slavia's brakes are making weird noises when applied a bit hard or whenever coming to a halt. The noise is like something is rubbing. However, there is no vibration whatsoever. The sound doesn't occur when the brake is applied slowly. The brakes work brilliantly; there is no problem in this regard. It's just the noise that's bothering me. The car is 7 months old and has run about 3700 km. Has anyone faced this issue, and if so, how to rectify it?
Old 10th December 2023, 21:12   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post
Hello All,

Today my vehicle showed a warning sign with a message ‘please check the oil levels’.

Immediately I parked my vehicle aside and checked the oils levels and it is almost drained.
The 1.5 TSI is known to binge drink oil like anything. I have read owners getting low oil levels near 8-10k kms.
Always keep a 1 litre bottle of both engine oil and coolant in the boot for any such exigencies.
Old 10th December 2023, 22:03   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragjain00000 View Post
Going for 1st service of my slavia 1.0 ambition AT.
Took appointment with Akoya Pune as my experience with Garve has not been good so far.

Issues to be addressed :
- rattling all over the cabin
- brakes vibrate very hard if partially pressed over a small pothole
- did not see warning of tyre pressure being low once.
- handbrake press button is loose and makes lot of noise.

Should I be hopeful on these getting sorted or I have to live with it.

Any other suggestion for 1st service Is appreciated.
Answers to your points in the same order:

1. Rattles are a common VAG 2.0 theme, most cars sold these days, in fact
2. ABS kicking in, you will also feel this if you brake over expansion joints
3. You need to manually reset/ calibrate the sensor via the infotainment when you top up your tyres to the right pressure level. The indirect tyre pressure warning works only then
4. This is new/ no solution, waiting to hear what your SA says

__________________________________________________ __________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
Hello everyone,

Our Slavia's brakes are making weird noises when applied a bit hard or whenever coming to a halt. The noise is like something is rubbing. However, there is no vibration whatsoever. The sound doesn't occur when the brake is applied slowly. The brakes work brilliantly; there is no problem in this regard. It's just the noise that's bothering me. The car is 7 months old and has run about 3700 km. Has anyone faced this issue, and if so, how to rectify it?
If this is happening on loose surfaces or due to sudden braking, it is the ABS kicking in. Could you provide a more detailed explanation of:

1. The symptoms (a noise recording would help)
2. Braking conditions ("a bit hard" is vague, also ask your dad if the pedal goes soft?)
3. Road conditions (wet road, loose surface, potholes, expansion joints, concrete?)

Last edited by ashivas89 : 10th December 2023 at 22:05.
ashivas89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 22:25   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashivas89 View Post
1. The symptoms (a noise recording would help)
2. Braking conditions ("a bit hard" is vague, also ask your dad if the pedal goes soft?)
3. Road conditions (wet road, loose surface, potholes, expansion joints, concrete?)
Hi,
  1. I'll try to record the noise next time. It seems like something is rubbing against the brakes, similar to the sound when a mudflap rubs against a cycle tire.

2. My dad mentioned that the braking performance is excellent, and there are no issues with the pedal. The noise occurs when the brake is pressed a little over 50%, such as when reducing speed from 60 kmph or coming to a halt from the same speed. The sound doesn't occur when braking softly.

3. The noise happens on both asphalt and concrete roads. There was no noise last week, but it started this week. Could it be due to dirt on the brakes? There's been no decrease in braking performance, and there are no vibrations whatsoever.
Old 11th December 2023, 10:50   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,[list=1][*]I'll try to record the noise next time. It seems like something is rubbing against the brakes, similar to the sound when a mudflap rubs against a cycle tire.
You get this grinding noise when the pads have glazed due to overheating or an oil film burning over it. It will go away if the pads are taken out and sanded a bit. Had happened to me after a fast downhill run where I had overheated the brakes and then ended up keeping the brake pressed for sometime due to a stop. Hasnt happened again in the last 7k kms.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 13:08   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragjain00000 View Post
- brakes vibrate very hard if partially pressed over a small pothole
Interesting, happens in my Verna as well.
Do let us know once diagnosed.
Old 11th December 2023, 17:34   #1942

I will be writing my 1500 kms review on the car soon where I rode on the good, the bad and the ugly roads hoping it will address and satisfy the queries of most of the members here who have purchased Slavia recently. But to put in short the most talked about topic here is the sound in brakes and I will say it is nothing to be worried about. The brakes also make a cranking sound but thats just normal behaviour as the brakes work excellent when they are needed. Rattling is subjective and often times the water bottles vibrating give me the illusion of rattles in the car. All in all, accept your car as it is especially the joy of riding it, otherwise you will really miss out the fun. My 1 month old ride already has scratches and dents, all thanks to the glorious Pune traffic and gentry, but I love to take it out nonetheless.
Old 11th December 2023, 20:39   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
  1. \ It seems like something is rubbing against the brakes, similar to the sound when a mudflap rubs against a cycle tire.

2. My dad mentioned that the braking performance is excellent, and there are no issues with the pedal. The noise occurs when the brake is pressed a little over 50%, such as when reducing speed from 60 kmph or coming to a halt from the same speed. The sound doesn't occur when braking softly.

3. The noise happens on both asphalt and concrete roads. There was no noise last week, but it started this week. Could it be due to dirt on the brakes? There's been no decrease in braking performance, and there are no vibrations whatsoever.
Ah okay, that makes it clear now.

Could be dirt trapped in the drums or what Audioholic said (deterioration of a layer of the binder). Since you hear it when applying higher brake pressures, and since there isn't a loss of performance, I'd wager that it is the former since I had a similar issue in my ex car.

Just get the brakes (both front and rear) scrubbed clean and see if the issue persists. Highly unlikely that it will.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 11th December 2023 at 20:43.
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 10:47   #1944
BHPian

Has anyone changed to BMC or K&N replacement filter on their 1.5 TSI? If so, please share your experience.

My previous car (Ecosport Diesel) had a BMC filter and it made a marked difference. I'm curious to try it out on my Slavia now.
Old 14th December 2023, 11:17   #1945
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I am shopping for a slavia 1.5 DSG Ambition, but now i got a really nice quote from dealer for slavia style, but the only issue is that its OBD1.

Does this have any significant disadvantages ? I thought this had only to do with the OBD ports, but now i am reading in some threads that it could also do with E20 compliance. Does anyone have more clarity on this ? Is there any risk in going for an OBD1 Vehicle ?
Old 14th December 2023, 11:50   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
but now i am reading in some threads that it could also do with E20 compliance. Does anyone have more clarity on this ?
Yes, obd2 are e20 compliant while obd1 were not. If you don't mind, can you share on what quote you got and which dealer is this?
lightfootdriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:28   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I am shopping for a slavia 1.5 DSG Ambition, but now i got a really nice quote from dealer for slavia style, but the only issue is that its OBD1.

Does this have any significant disadvantages ? I thought this had only to do with the OBD ports, but now i am reading in some threads that it could also do with E20 compliance. Does anyone have more clarity on this ? Is there any risk in going for an OBD1 Vehicle ?
You can go with OBD1 as there is no difference in terms of engine or drivability or anything. It's just a small part addition near to fuel filter which makes OB2.

For more details on possible saving, DM me.

Reagrds
pf007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:37   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfootdriver View Post
Yes, obd2 are e20 compliant while obd1 were not. If you don't mind, can you share on what quote you got and which dealer is this?
Does it affect the reliability? I seem to get the feeling that it only affects the emissions. I was quoted 18.3 for the ambition OBD2 on road, and the style should come under 20 for OBD1 is what they are saying (yet to get a full quote on this one).
vinaygeorgeroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:39   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf007 View Post
You can go with OBD1 as there is no difference in terms of engine or drivability or anything. It's just a small part addition near to fuel filter which makes OB2.

For more details on possible saving, DM me.

Reagrds
So no reliability issue would be there because of the e20 blend ? I am trying to find the option to DM, but unable to find it , please ignore my technically dumb self. Could you send me a DM, so that i can reply to it ?
Old 14th December 2023, 18:13   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Skoda Auto India has announced all-new, exclusive Elegance Edition of the Slavia, will be powered exclusively by the 1.5 TSI.

Attachment 2536397

Attachment 2536398
They should've offered black alloys and blacked out front grill too, making it a drool-worthy dark-edition Slavia. Come on Skoda, what an obvious thing to miss!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks