Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 09:39   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimemastergogo View Post
There were 4 people in the car. I thought maybe the slope was too steep but later I was able to cleanly pull away in my scross 1.5 petrol. Further the power was also underwhelming I thought it would be the 1.5 nay asp petrol which can potentially struggle given the size of the car.
Cars with turbo lag, are bound to suffer when driving on steep slopes. However, from most reviews the same 1.4 appears to a different beast on expressways.

Also, what remains to see is the tuning and drive-ability of the 1.5NA petrol. Surprisingly, there are very few reviews of the Creta or Seltos 1.5 NA petrol.
Old 21st February 2022, 12:31   #422
BHPian

Test drove the Carens 1.5 Diesel Manual.

Pros:
a) More space than anything in that budget
b) Interiors seem airy and large windows add to it
c) Light Steering, great turning radius make it an easy companion in city traffic
d) Light clutch on the diesel engine
e) Comfortable seats in all three rows (as comfy as it can get in the 3rd row of a 7 seater)
f) Suspension: I found it soaking bumps better than the competition.
g) Price: Petrol 1.5 Prestige version at 11.5 OTR Lucknow is a steal deal for this car. Has almost all features that are required for a family mover.

Cons:
a) Definitely under-powered. I want to see reviews with loaded Carens driving in Himachal or Uttarakhand. I struggled to climb flyovers.
b) Ground Clearance - I think a loaded car will scrap high breakers.
acquillew is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 12:42   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Let me get the this out first regarding the Carens. The base here is definitely the Sonet and not the Seltos. I am not sure why Kia and most media is saying otherwise - it simply isn't.

The dealership had all 3 cars on display and I checked the internals back to back. In the Seltos, everything is one size up! The suspension mounts, the inside of the front fender etc. are the dead giveaway. And that is why Carens is riding on 16" wheels too. The Seltos feels better built - the doors, fenders et al is heavier & sturdier. I know! That doesn't mean anything regarding safety, but just stating what I felt.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Going by the first hand impressions, it looks like Carens is effectively a modified Sonet and not a modified Seltos like all of us initially thought. And that is why Kia is able to price it so well. Alcazar on the other hand is a modified Creta and hence the it has to be priced more than Creta.
From the earlier shared observations, engine bay pics and the below from KIA site, Carens clearly has a lot of similarity to Sonet than Seltos. To be fair, I guess KIA never claimed it to be based on Seltos? Or did they?

So, it’s almost clear Hyundai used a Creta for Alcazar while KIA used a Sonet as base for Carens. But pretty smart that not many including our keen mods thought it to be the case initially.

Anyways, we all know what was the base for Ertiga and XL6.

Kia Carens Review-929a6ef4134e4f74a7441f1280e03bc2.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-466be6fa0d13416b9f401e9157a07fa2.jpeg

Kia Carens Review-78320f75d37b4f60957a34b6ca524ea4.jpeg
Mods, please delete the pics if it was already shared by members earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I was interested in understanding the difference between the Carens and the XL6, which is what I currently own. I was able to squeeze in back to back test drives of the Diesel AT and Turbo Petrol AT.

So the big question is, If you are in the market for a Petrol 6/7 seater under 15L, should you seriously consider the Carens? My answer would be a very strong yes. The 7 seater Prestige 1.5 MT variant is 12.4L OTR Bangalore vs. XL6 Zeta variant which is about the same price. The Carens seems to outshine the XL6 on many parameters and what needs to be evaluated is highway manners and braking, both of which I was unable to check since Kia showrooms are not providing long test drives of the Carens.
Good to get a first hand review of the Carens by a XL6 user. Think the door ‘Thud’ effect may not necessarily be due to sheet metal thickness but as you mentioned, the extensive rubber beadings used?
Disappointed to hear the 2nd row is not that comfortable in the 7 seater.

Hyundai 1.5 Petrol owners, how bad is the efficiency and power of this engine?
Felt the 1.5 diesel Prestige plus has everything going for it, but unsure given the performance observations made.

All I need is a Powerful, automatic (with sensible price gap) compact 7 seater MUV to replace Gen 1 Diesel Ertiga, guess I have to wait. How I wish Maruti brings the 1.6 Diesel in Ertiga/XL6 with 6 AT.
ganesc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:51   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia Carens diesel sees more bookings than petrol.

Quote:
The diesel Carens accounts for over 50% of the demand; Kia India to begin a third shift at its plant from next month to reduce waiting periods.
Name:  SmartSelect_20220221135445_Twitter.jpg
Views: 2672
Size:  117.5 KB

Quote:
Another interesting trend is the high demand for top-end vehicles.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 21st February 2022 at 13:55.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 16:45   #425
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

With this amazing pricing and the other offerings, we have an Ertiga Killer here, Only thing i am concerned is KIA network reach, It would definitely give Ertiga run for the money if this was under Hyundai badge.

Smart move to build 7 seater on Sonet / Venue underpinnings. This makes Alcazar look like half hearted effort, a misfit (neither Ertiga not Harrier/ Hector/XUV/ SAFARI) and over priced compared to what it brings to the table.

Kia need a small car (Kwid/ i10/ Swift range) and a larger SUV (Hector / Harrier/ XUV) to complete its portfolio

Personally I would like to see focus on safety / mechanicals and a more powerful engines from Kia.
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:09   #426
Senior - BHPian

I hope after seeing demand for diesel, Kia introduces AT in the mid-range models. Heck, to counter XL6 AT, I wish they bring CVT on 1.5 petrol too.
Old 21st February 2022, 18:24   #427
BHPian

Carens versus XL6 comparison video-
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:29   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I hope after seeing demand for diesel, Kia introduces AT in the mid-range models. Heck, to counter XL6 AT, I wish they bring CVT on 1.5 petrol too.
You might have missed the other 'interesting' trend - "high demand for top-end vehicles".

Meanwhile, KIA has discontinued the diesel AT option in the mid-variant Seltos (HTK+). It shows KIA is also focusing/betting more on the high-margin top end variants, a trend that we have seen with most of the recent launches - Thar, Seltos, Creta, XUV700, etc.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:41   #429
BHPian

Very disappointed with the light feel of the doors in carens. Compared this with Honda City 5th gen and skoda slavia today back to back.
Slavia's doors definitely felt significantly heavier to use than Honda City's doors. This gave me an idea of the build quality of slavia. It matched that of kushaq.
But carens, the doors felt like too thin like tin. Wondering the amount and quality of steel that went into carens' making..
Old 21st February 2022, 18:45   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Meanwhile, KIA has discontinued the diesel AT option in the mid-variant Seltos (HTK+)
As per the rumors, Diesel HTK+ AT is going to come back with iMT instead of TC
Old 21st February 2022, 19:10   #431
BHPian

Does anyone have experience with repainting Kia's red colored cars? I like Red Caren but concerned that repainting a panel (in case of a damage) will result in color difference. Have experienced that in the past with a similar colored car.
Old 21st February 2022, 21:22   #432
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kia Carens diesel sees more bookings than petrol.

Attachment 2275395

Source
Well, I am hearing this 3rd shift commencement thing since the launch of Sonet! However, this doesn’t seem to be reflecting in the waiting periods.

I really wonder, if this isn’t true this time around then how will Kia manage the backlog of bookings.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 21st February 2022 at 21:24.
Old 21st February 2022, 21:55   #433
BHPian

Has anyone changed their variant agyer booking? I did, and the waiting period increased from 8 weeks to 15 weeks. I am told that variant change is considered as a fresh booking, exactly like Mahindra's policy for XUV700. But sadly, I didn't know this im advance, like I did for XUV700.
Old 21st February 2022, 23:18   #434
BHPian

Got a chance to check out the Carens this weekend. I really liked the interiors of the top variant - colour combination of dashboard and seats, dashboard looks and materials, seats design and comfort, a/c control stalks, steering and controls buttons and mostly everything. Exteriors are neutral, not bad but not exceptional either. As majority members pointed out here, all three rows are comfortable set for my height (5ft 7inch). At this position, the 3rd row provides just enough under thigh support although you can improve the experience by extending your feet under the middle row seats. The middle seat of the middle row is really uncomfortable even for kids but can be a utility to carry that extra person for short drives. There was no trouble in getting in or out of the seat behind driver because of the air purifier. In fact it is good 3 inches above my knee level although I agree seat back is not the best position for this. Also some uncharacteristic poor quality was observed with weld joints on doors, stapler clips on carper floor of the 3rd row etc.

Slightly off topic, but hearing a lot of comments and doubts on the durability of Hyundai/Kia 7 Speed DCT gearbox. What is the basis of these concerns, is this a problem with dual clutch transmission in general or specific to this gearbox. Can someone advise how long this gear box has been in our market and any real life feedback available regarding the technical issues and related maintenance cost/experience with this gearbox?
Old 21st February 2022, 23:38   #435
BHPian

Test drove the Carens Diesel MT today and booked the prestige plus diesel option at JSP Kia. Waiting period quoted is around 22 weeks. Felt the torque and power on hand was more than adequate. In comparison I drive VW Touran 1.6 Tdi in Germany which has almost the same power and torque ratings and I felt this a gem of a car to drive.
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks