Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2024, 09:29   #1681
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Hello !

I have started noticing yellowing of DRL Strips on both the headlights from corners - anyone else feel this ?
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 13:15   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Hello !

I have started noticing yellowing of DRL Strips on both the headlights from corners - anyone else feel this ?
I have observed this on several Carens cars on the road, some probably 3-4 months old (looking at their regn. # series). I believe this is a common problem and should be replaced under warranty.

OT: Carens,Taigun, Kushaq, new Verna seem to be most common victims of yellowing DRLs fairly early in their life.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 19:30   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Hello !

I had the same issue and have got my headlamps replaced twice under warranty. Bought my car in April 2022. The second replacement headlamps have also started showing yellowing after a period of 6 months, plan to get them replaced before April next year before the warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

OT: Carens,Taigun, Kushaq, new Verna seem to be most common victims of yellowing DRLs fairly early in their life.
The cars mentioned above, all have a single LED which in turn runs into an optical fibre setup, which transmits the light across the entire length of the DRL. Probably the optical fibre setup starts yellowing with time and hence the yellowing effect as compared to other cars like say Hector, whose DRL's are made up of multiple LEDs and have no optical fibre. Similarly MG ZS EV/Astor is also one where yellowing can be seen easily, again has an optical fibre setup.
idoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 05:00   #1684
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoctor View Post
The cars mentioned above, all have a single LED which in turn runs into an optical fibre setup, which transmits the light across the entire length of the DRL. Probably the optical fibre setup starts yellowing with time and hence the yellowing effect as compared to other cars like say Hector, whose DRL's are made up of multiple LEDs and have no optical fibre. Similarly MG ZS EV/Astor is also one where yellowing can be seen easily, again has an optical fibre setup.
I thought that the issue was specific to the Carens and Verna, so this affects all cars which have an optical fibre setup right ?, so basically this is inevitable and there is no way around it, even if we get our headlamps replaced under warranty, they will show up after a certain period is what I understand. Is there any way we can avoid this or should the headlamp setup be changed entirely to ensure this doesn't happen?

Again, thanks for the valuable information
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 09:48   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I thought that the issue was specific to the Carens and Verna, so this affects all cars which have an optical fibre setup right ?
Unfortunately yes, including cars like Merc E Class and Skoda Superb

Quote:
so basically this is inevitable and there is no way around it, even if we get our headlamps replaced under warranty, they will show up after a certain period is what I understand.
That's what happened with me twice. Infact the second time around, one of DRL partially fused, there was no illumination reaching the inner side.

Quote:
Is there any way we can avoid this or should the headlamp setup be changed entirely to ensure this doesn't happen?
I researched a bit when I first got this problem which was 6 months post the purchase, but could not find a solution. Then started noticing cars with similar DRLs and saw the issue in them as well. I even looked at the Luxury and Luxury Plus variants which have the integrated turn indicator (mine is Prestige Plus), but those variants also suffer from this issue. They change the entire headlamp assembly under warranty, no way you can just change the DRLs. I would love to learn if someone has found a way around this.
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 09:54   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I researched a bit when I first got this problem which was 6 months post the purchase, but could not find a solution. Then started noticing cars with similar DRLs and saw the issue in them as well. I even looked at the Luxury and Luxury Plus variants which have the integrated turn indicator (mine is Prestige Plus), but those variants also suffer from this issue. They change the entire headlamp assembly under warranty, no way you can just change the DRLs. I would love to learn if someone has found a way around this.
Someone who works in automotive service field told me that the yellowing happens due to dust entering the optical fibre channels. It can be fixed by blowing air or vacuuming the channel to remove the dust. They had done it for a few cars and with good results.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:06   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Someone who works in automotive service field told me that the yellowing happens due to dust entering the optical fibre channels. It can be fixed by blowing air or vacuuming the channel to remove the dust. They had done it for a few cars and with good results.
Even I thought of this, but YouTube research revealed that the entire Optical fiber needs to be replaced. If you look at the headlamp assembly, there's barely any room to open the DRL assembly. With that said, not a good idea to attempt to open it up till your warranty is valid!
idoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 21:14   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same issue and have got my headlamps replaced twice under warranty. Bought my car in April 2022. The second replacement headlamps have also started showing yellowing after a period of 6 months, plan to get them replaced before April next year before the warranty runs out.
Mine is too first week April 2022.
Damn, what will happen after extended warranty runs out. I'll open a case with Kia soon to get these changed for now.
Old 1st August 2024, 12:05   #1689
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hello !

Quote:
I have observed this on several Carens cars on the road, some probably 3-4 months old (looking at their regn. # series). I believe this is a common problem and should be replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Quote:
That's what happened with me twice. Infact the second time around, one of DRL partially fused, there was no illumination reaching the inner side.
Forget 6 months or more, the FL Sonet's have started to show this issue in under 3 months. I have come across way too many Sonet's with their LED DRL's yellowed, primarily the RHS.

This can be a specific issue but if this tech of 'Optical Fiber' thingy is true than it for sure is a downgrade v/s the earlier full LED set-up of the pre-FL Sonet.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 1st August 2024 at 12:07.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 19:09   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
This can be a specific issue but if this tech of 'Optical Fiber' thingy is true than it for sure is a downgrade v/s the earlier full LED set-up of the pre-FL Sonet.
You're absolutely right, the older Sonet had multiple small LEDs in the DRLs as compared to the facelift one, which has optical fibers. Not sure if this is a cost cutting measure
Old 1st August 2024, 19:51   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this is a cost cutting measure
Aah! It surely is. And this is just one of the cost cutting measures in the FL Sonet & Seltos.

Just have a look at the 2020 Sonet and then the FL Sonet and you’ll be amazed at the difference. The plastics quality / texture is a major give away. Kia has started counting its pennies and it surely isn’t a good sign.

Drop in quality with increase in the prices over thr years - one can do the math themselves.
Old 1st August 2024, 19:54   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Forget 6 months or more, the FL Sonet's have started to show this issue in under 3 months. I have come across way too many Sonet's with their LED DRL's yellowed, primarily the RHS.

Could this be due to quality of optical fiber used in the DRL?

I have not looked closer at DRL of XUV700 if it uses optical fiber also. I have not seen XUV700 showing yellowing of DRLs
Old 1st August 2024, 19:59   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post

I have not looked closer at DRL of XUV700 if it uses optical fiber also. I have not seen XUV700 showing yellowing of DRLs
Quitr possible. Like I said, cost-cutting in the lastest Kia cars is very apparent which could be a reason.

We’ve seen such yellowing LED issue in the Indian-ised Skoda-VW cars too and I think that kinda says it all.
Old 1st August 2024, 21:04   #1694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post

I have noticed slight yellowing on a few XUV700 as well. Gen 1 and Gen 2 Nexons had them too.

Quote:
Quitr possible. Like I said, cost-cutting in the lastest Kia cars is very apparent which could be a reason.

We’ve seen such yellowing LED issue in the Indian-ised Skoda-VW cars too and I think that kinda says it all.
Forget India specific models, the old Superb/Octavia have had this as a common problem as well. If you find old Audis, they have it too. It’s possible our climate isn’t suitable for those fibre based DRLs.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 00:08   #1695

Hello All,

I have shortlisted XL6 & Carens to replace my 10 yr old Grand i10 car. I have heard that the Carens facelift is expected sometime mid of next year and no news on XL6 facelift so far. Is it worth waiting for the upgrade or should I give in to my new car itch and get one now? Please suggest. Unable to decide
EternalCarEnthu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks