Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2024, 09:56   #1561

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
My Brother-in-Law is booked a Carens petrol DTC from Bhubneshwar. We are presently based at Bangalore and the reason for booking from Bhubneshwar was eligibility of BH series registration.

The vehicle is ready for delivery and tomorrow we are reaching there to collect it. Intent is to pick-up the vehicle and drive it back to Bangalore.

Wanted to check here on what pointers should we keep in mind considering its a new vehicle? what speeds / RPMs to maintain? do we need to take frequent brakes to cool the engine? distance from Bhubneshwar to Bangalore is about 1500 kms. Is there are 1000 kms mandatory check, as we would be crossing that. Any other tips / heads-up to be considered for driving the car to Bangalore? TIA.
From the manual
Vehicle break-in process
By following a few simple precautions for the first 1,000 km (600 miles) you may increase the performance, economy and life of your vehicle.
- Do not race the engine.
- Whilst driving, keep your engine speed (rpm, or revolutions per minute) within 3,000 rpm.
- Do not maintain a single speed for long periods of time, either fast or slow. Varying engine speed is needed to properly break-in the engine.
- Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies, to allow the brakes to seat properly.
- Fuel economy and engine performance may vary depending on vehicle break-in process and be stabilized after 6,000 km (4,000 miles). New engines may consume more oil during the vehicle break-in period

Last edited by Eddy : 28th February 2024 at 10:16. Reason: Corrected bullet points format for better readability
btdhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 21:22   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the tips. We got the delivery of the car on Thursday at Central Kia, Bhubaneshwar. Delivery was smooth process where all the work was done prior to us reaching there. We just had to choose some basic accessories which were fitted to the vehicle. The Puja service is also offered by the showroom there itself. Luxury of space these cities have.

We started the journey back to Bangalore on Friday morning. We tried keeping the RPM and speed under check, and varying the RMP and did fairly well i guess. Its difficult to keep the car under check, especially on open smooth and uncrowded highway, but we tried not giving into the temptation. The journey was smooth. Initial intent was a take a break somewhere midway at a hotel, but we did not feel much tired and kept going on with regular breaks. There were two of us driving so it was easy to shuffle and carry on. Early morning (around 3AM) we felt really sleepy, stopped next to a toll gate and slept in the car for a few hours. It was decently comfortable. Woke up and carried on towards Bangalore.

We reached Bangalore (home) by around 2PM, Saturday. The odometer was showing 1496kms. Took fuel (petrol) worth around 10k Rs to cover that distance. Toll costed 2200 Rs. Roads are good through out except some 50kms stretch before Tirupati, where there is construction work going on.

Some takeaway from this drive. The headlights (halogens on prestige plus) are not adequate for highway. Especially with all the buses and SUVs blasting 1000 watts aux lights on high-beam. Rear view mirror (all 3) could have done with antireflective film/coating. Presently, the glare from vehicles at the back is very disturbing. The music system lacks bass big time.

Overall we are happy with the decision. The car felt comfortable, Ac was good, suspension felt on the firmer side.

Looking forward to some suggestions from the members here on the following pointers:

* Any tried and tested, plug-n-play upgrade for the headlight?
* Any screen guard recommendation for the infotainment screen?
* Anyway to improve the music (bass)?
* Any anti-reflective film recommendation for the RVMs?
* Thought on aux light fitment (not urgent, may be later)
* Any recommendations for a Dash cam?

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-img20240222wa0045.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 11:04   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
* Any tried and tested, plug-n-play upgrade for the headlight?
Have been using Blaupunkt 110 W LED's, good response.

https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/car-acce...hp-h4-h19/324/
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 15:24   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have been using Blaupunkt 110 W LED's, good response.
Thanks. Would be great if you could share a few pics of the light throw at night, just to get a better understanding.

I saw some videos on you-tube where guys have installed the Osram CBI Pro projector LEDs and those light really look bright in the videos. But from what i understand, that may require cutting of the light reflector dome to fit the Osram LED projector. I am not sure if that would void warranty. What we were told was cutting of any wires would void warranty.

Sharing the link below to the product and the video.

https://autosquads.in/products/Osram...ors-p551376836

Last edited by nasirkaka : 26th February 2024 at 15:27.
Old 26th February 2024, 17:52   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if that would void warranty. What we were told was cutting of any wires would void warranty.
Sure would void warranty. I'll try to upload pics soon.
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:55   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
* Any screen guard recommendation for the infotainment screen?
* Anyway to improve the music (bass)?
* Any recommendations for a Dash cam?

TIA.
1. I purchased and installed screen guard from Armour Guards. They are pretty good.

2. When I checked with KIA service center, they informed that any change in speakers will void the warranty of the wiring and music system. The only alternative it to tweak the Equalizer of the ICE and keep it in max Bass. Also the way KIA designed the music system (at least in prestige plus) is only the driver and passenger can enjoy the complete effect. Both the 2nd and 3rd row passengers will experience less volume.

3. I am using DDPAI Mini Pro. The clarity is pretty good. I boght it with the hardwiring kit from Nextdigitron
jasonbourne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:15   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure would void warranty. I'll try to upload pics soon.
I was talking to a friend and he said installing the Osram CBI pro projector LED should technically NOT void warranty. This is because there is no wires cut or tampered with. The connection is via H4 coupler to coupler. All they do it cut the plastic reflector to fit in the projector LED lens, and modifying the plastic reflector should not lead to warranty issues. So this is getting confusing.

I did some more you-tube based research on the aftermarket lights for carens, and it seems like the Osram CBI pro projector gives the best result with a sharp cut for oncoming traffic. The spread is wide and even and brightest. Other normal LED lights do improve the lighting in various capacities depending on whether chinese, branded, wattage, etc. and blaupunkt getting one of the better results in the non projector LEDs.

Quote:
1. I purchased and installed screen guard from Armour Guards. They are pretty good.
Have ordered this. Is it easy enough to try and fit it ourselves. I have tried once for phone and ended up having some bubbles, hence asking.

Will check out the DDPAI Mino pro.
Old 28th February 2024, 11:52   #1568
BHPian

After the arrival of our second child, we were looking for a 3 row 7 seater MPV as it was the only way we could travel with both the child seats together.

The main requirement was that it should seat 7 (5 adults + 2 child seats) and carry 2 diaper bags, one kids toys bag and one stroller at minimum in the boot with all 3 rows being used. So no captain seats in second row. Diesel Automatic Only. Only top variants were considered.

We test drove the following cars, all on the same day, called the cars home as it was easier to test the child friendliness of the cars.

XUV 7OO
Lovely car, very premium inside, good to drive, Mom loved it most and was her choice amongst all,
Not considered mainly because boot was too small for my requirements, not deep enough to fit even diaper bags without squishing them, a baby stroller just cannot fit.

Scorpio N
Feels like a premium off road car, dad and wife would have found it intimidating to drive as it feels quite heavy and big to drive, boot was impractical for our requirements.

New Safari
Lovely car, Dad and I loved it, 3rd row was very spacious and usable for adults. Lovely to drive, good engine and gearbox, electric power steering has made it way lighter to drive.
However the boot was too impractical for us and we were sad to see it go off the list.

Innova Hycross
Obviously the one to go for, biggest boot at ~240 liters, feels light build-wise compared to the Safari and XUV, interiors also feel less premium than both
Petrol and long waiting periods were the only dealbreakers honestly.

If the Innova Crysta D AT was available still, our search would have ended there immediately as our family loves the Innova and Im pretty sure we would not have even test driven other cars.

So we went ahead and got a Kia Carens. A total wild card entry. Never considered it, never read about it, no videos or even acknowledgement of its existence.

~230 liter boot so fits everything we want, super efficient 1.5L D is also easy to drive, light steering, decent torque converter 6AT. Cabin is spacious too thanks to 2780 mm wheelbase, which is surprisingly the longest of all.

Car is decent to drive and has decent ride and handling, alone or fully loaded.

Tankfull is ~600 kms range. Expressway end to end is ~25kmpl. Have seen 34 kmpl too on the expressway.

Been almost 2 months now and done 5600kms.

Ownership so far has been wholesome, it turned out to be a way better choice than initially expected.

Will keep this thread updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-img_6387.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_6380.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_6324.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_6305.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_5918.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_5897.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_5892.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_8719.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_8724.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-img_8397.jpg  

Last edited by satya180 : 28th February 2024 at 11:55.
satya180 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:06   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
The main requirement was that it should seat 7 (5 adults + 2 child seats) and carry 2 diaper bags, one kids toys bag and one stroller at minimum in the boot with all 3 rows being used. So no captain seats in second row. Diesel Automatic Only. Only top variants were considered.
Congratulations. Awesome choice. Frankly, that's how you buy a car. Speaking for myself, image, road presence, what the neighbours think, status etc. etc. need to go into the dustbin, the car should solve your problem. Neat approach you took to select the car. The Carens is a brilliantly researched and thought out vehicle, saying this in a good sense, it's slowly replacing the ubiquitous Crysta and Ertiga in the taxi segment. It's the most practical 7 seater out there if you ask me, but then, that's thinking with the head and not the heart. Wishing you and your family millions of happy miles in your 'blue whale'

Last edited by TheARUN : 28th February 2024 at 12:07.
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 16:47   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
After the arrival of our second child, we were looking for a 3 row 7 seater MPV as it was the only way we could travel with both the child seats together.

The main requirement was that it should seat 7 (5 adults + 2 child seats) and carry 2 diaper bags, one kids toys bag and one stroller at minimum in the boot with all 3 rows being used. So no captain seats in second row. Diesel Automatic Only.

Ownership so far has been wholesome, it turned out to be a way better choice than initially expected.
Congratulations! That's the beauty of Carens. Those who test drive and experience it, are able to appreciate the practicality, space, comfort and flexibility it offers compared to other 7 seaters in segments above & below it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
It's the most practical 7 seater out there if you ask me, but then, that's thinking with the head and not the heart.
Well said. Yes, Carens is not a looker, but it does the job even better than others in many areas. Definitely a head over heart choice.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:01   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Have ordered this. Is it easy enough to try and fit it ourselves. I have tried once for phone and ended up having some bubbles, hence asking.

Will check out the DDPAI Mino pro.
Applying the screen protector is straight forward and easy. Make sure all windows are closed and the surface of the ICE is cleaned well before applying the screen guard.
jasonbourne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 19:39   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

it's slowly replacing the ubiquitous Crysta and Ertiga in the taxi segment
Ertiga is feeling the heat more than the Crysta

There are no practical diesel 7 seaters (boot space, reliability) other than Innova Crysta and Carens

Off topic: It would be a great opportunity for Force Motors to bring out a comfort oriented 7 seater car (with both diesel and CNG options ) using their existing platform and engine and price it significantly below Innova Crysta
Old 4th March 2024, 00:19   #1573

Quote:

We test drove the following cars, all on the same day, called the cars home as it was easier to test the child friendliness of the cars.

Thank you Satya for this post. I'm having a similar requirement; hence waiting for the Alcazar face-lift. Curious to know if you had considered Alcazar as an option. If not, any reason? If you could please share. Thanks!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th March 2024 at 02:23. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Old 4th March 2024, 07:06   #1574
BHPian

During my testing phase, I clearly found that space wise Alcazar has lesser in-cabin space compared to Carens .. it clearly is pretty much best in class especially with 3 rows of seats up.. among the 7-seaters only Hycross has better boot space in comparison.
vikramv4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 17:03   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupizire View Post
Thank you Satya for this post. I'm having a similar requirement; hence waiting for the Alcazar face-lift. Curious to know if you had considered Alcazar as an option. If not, any reason? If you could please share. Thanks!
A family friend has an Alcazar and I have spent a day in it. The space is lesser than the Carens, and while I love the rear styling, I am not a fan of the Creta based front end and dashboard.

We were looking for a van/ MPV and the Carens styling appealed more for some reason.

I was never fan of how it looked before we got it, but after spending some time with it the design has grown on me, so im ok with how it looks.

The family loves it, the kids and friends love it, I love it for its efficient and effortless nature, so it ticks most boxes as of now.
satya180 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks