Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 19:52   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Dealers making us assure that 2.0 TSI can tolerate E20, that will be in effect from 2025, truth is its nowhere documented that its a favourable fuel.
Petrol blended with Ethanol 20% will be starting availability from 01 April 2023 in major cities of India.

So by 01 April 2025 it will be pan India.

Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Though Zac has tweeted TSIs can run without issues on E20 - I doubt it being sensitive engine with complex engineering.
E20 effect on E10 compliant cars be more pronounced.
Reduced fuel economy, power and corrosion of rubber hoses.

BMW Petrol engine sold in India are E25 compliant.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 21:07   #602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I bought a Moon White Kodiaq Sportline

Managed to get the delivery last month, so its been about a month of ownership with a healthy 3000 KM under my belt, and I thought this is the right time to share the experience with all of you.

Dislikes:

2. Gearbox: Man is this a dim-wit slow gearbox (DSG) or what, this is not what I was expecting. After using the DQ200, which in comparison feels like a kick back you get on an old bullet kick start, this is in a dreamworld of its own. You press the accelerator, wait and stare at the cluster, 1..2.., “oh ok, I’ll shift down for you.. no no wait, you wanted an upshift right?? So sorry, here you go..Hey why not just stay in the same gear and have lazy acceleration? Yeah, thats the spot”. In all of 3000 Kms, the box still hasn’t learned my driving pattern, in its defence I haven’t use the lockdown button as yet, but I am not expecting much TBH.

4. Engine still feels a bit gruff. Super smooth while cruising, but I think it still needs some time to properly bed in. May be an oil change will help, coming to which I have to report no loss of engine oil in 3000 Kms. I am shocked.
Wow!! This is quite big news for me because this is the one area where I had expected the Kodiaq will absolutely thump the Meridian. I’d be interested in test driving the Kodiaq whenever stocks come back just for my academic curiosity. I’m still reasonably sure it’ll hold the edge over the Meridian overall in driving pleasure but will still be good to understand this in more granular perspective.

The other surprise point for me is the gruffness factor because the Meridian has been shockingly smooth (with gruffness only when you push it beyond what its gearbox is willing to deliver). I had imagined the petrol Kodiaq would have had ZERO gruffness and would be an even smoother and refined experience. Again curious to try this vehicle first hand when they’re back in play.

_____

Finally, congratulations on the car and wish you many happy miles of trouble free ownership. Its a lovely car overall and a great choice without doubt!
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 21:43   #603
AKB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow!! This is quite big news for me because this is the one area where I had expected the Kodiaq will absolutely thump the Meridian.
Gearbox and engine NVH, both, are eons better than Jeep Compass and Meridian. Unfair to compare to Mercs and BMWs, I believe. I have good experience with Stellantis duo and they are a generation behind Kodiaq.

Having done ~1K, been very happy with what the vehicle has to offer. Gearbox (DQ380) is expected to be much more reliable than DQ200 and is much much faster to shift as compared to one in Stellantis stable.

Let's keep your expectation and criticism realistic and we shall be happy

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th July 2022 at 11:39. Reason: Minor typos edited.
AKB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 22:11   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
Let's keep your expectation and criticism realistic and we shall be happy
Maybe you’d like to re-read my post (including the quoted text in my post) and then revisit your response.

I haven’t made any judgment on the Kodiaq. Still waiting to drive it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th July 2022 at 22:19.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 00:27   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Petrol blended with Ethanol 20% will be starting availability from 01 April 2023 in major cities of India.
E20 effect on E10 compliant cars be more pronounced.
Reduced fuel economy, power and corrosion of rubber hoses.
BMW Petrol engine sold in India are E25 compliant.
My heart cries as I see ICE strangulation by the emission regulations. Don't know how engines will behave when E20 & above stab them.

Diesels have their own issues, now petrols plagued by ethanol abuse.

Not even electrics have infrastructure support right now, more so will remain the same for next 5-6 years atleast.

Looks like we have 5 years max before issues start popping up in petrol engines.

Feel sometime it's a bad time for an ICE purchase.
SilverSmoke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 15:00   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought a Moon White Kodiaq Sportline

Dislikes:

2. Gearbox: Man is this a dim-wit slow gearbox (DSG) or what, this is not what I was expecting. After using the DQ200, which in comparison feels like a kickback you get on an old bullet kick start, this is in a dream world of its own. You press the accelerator, wait and stare at the cluster, 1..2.., “oh ok, I’ll shift down for you.. no no wait, you wanted an upshift right?? So sorry, here you go..Hey why not just stay in the same gear and have lazy acceleration? Yeah, that's the spot”. In all of 3000 Kms, the box still hasn’t learned my driving pattern, in its defence I haven’t used the kickdown button as yet, but I am not expecting much TBH.

4. Engine still feels a bit gruff. Super smooth while cruising, but I think it still needs some time to properly bed in. Maybe an oil change will help, coming to which I have to report no loss of engine oil in 3000 Kms. I am shocked.
Clarifying my post above:

With respect to the gearbox, my direct comparison with DQ200 because thats a box I have driven on for close to 200K kms. So I know how it behaves like the back of my hand. The instantaneous downshift with the slightest of tap on the accelerator is something I am missing in the Kodiaq. And yes, I do find the DQ381-7A to be slightly confused at times. It makes some mechanical noise too, which is heard upon acceleration lets say the car is doing 50 km/h in 5th, and I try to accelerate. I do not know what the noise is but I expect it to subside after few more miles on it. DQ200 behaved in a much more enthusiastic manner and it remains one of the fastest DSG boxes albeit the most unreliable one. I am still hoping the DQ381-7A learns my driving style and adapts, otherwise I will need to run an aftermarket map on it. The gearbox is slow, for now.

I feel the gruffness comes from the gearbox too, and not only the engine. Engine has definitely improved over time, and as I said I have yet not pushed the car to the redline. But in high speed full throttle type acceleration, the engine and gearbox don't disappoint. Its in the stop go traffic, busy highway-quick overtakes, which is an issue for me and I am using the paddles frequently as a stop gap. The paddles aren't intended to be used for choosing optimum shift times, but just to take full control and feel more involved with the car, in my opinion. Gearbox should be smart enough in any mode to pick up on the driver's right foot input and select the best gear for best performance. It does so in S mode, but D mode is a bit lethargic and confused, and Eco is something I will stay away from as the gearbox becomes quite rattly and noisy in that mode. The sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging is something I don't want my car to go through. I also felt that coasting in Eco mode did not do much for the fuel efficiency. Then why make the car suffer? It seems to bog down quite a bit in Eco mode.

Driving the Octy for over 8 years, I did not really miss paddle shifters, but I did find myself using the tip-tronic mode often. In the Kodiaq, I feel the need for manual control is more evident. Everyone's driving style might be different, and everyone's preferences and expectations too. Not trying to compare the car with any Audi, BMW for the engine, gearbox, drive bits. I am just sad that things could have been much better at the given price. Need to test drive another Kodiaq to be certain about the above now.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 20:55   #607
BHPian

https://zeenews.india.com/economy/ni...s-2483054.html

What this means? Are we so dumb, purchasing petrol ICE instead of diesel?
Old 10th July 2022, 00:35   #608
BHPian

Quote:
With respect to the gearbox, my direct comparison with DQ200 because thats a box I have driven on for close to 200K kms. So I know how it behaves like the back of my hand. The instantaneous downshift with the slightest of tap on the accelerator is something I am missing in the Kodiaq. And yes, I do find the DQ381-7A to be slightly confused at times. It makes some mechanical noise too, which is heard upon acceleration lets say the car is doing 50 km/h in 5th, and I try to accelerate. I do not know what the noise is but I expect it to subside after few more miles on it. DQ200 behaved in a much more enthusiastic manner and it remains one of the fastest DSG boxes albeit the most unreliable one. I am still hoping the DQ381-7A learns my driving style and adapts, otherwise I will need to run an aftermarket map on it. The gearbox is slow, for now. .
I felt the same when I test drove Kodiaq back in January. It took couple of seconds to respond when I floored the pedal. It kind of felt strange compared to lightening fast downshifts of DQ200.

I took delivery of my L&K today in pouring rain and had to drive through waterlogged raods to reach home. Will check out the dq381 properly tomorrow.
Old 10th July 2022, 07:09   #609

Quote:
Clarifying my post above:

It does so in S mode, but D mode is a bit lethargic and confused, and Eco is something I will stay away from as the gearbox becomes quite rattly and noisy in that mode. The sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging is something I don't want my car to go through. I also felt that coasting in Eco mode did not do much for the fuel efficiency. Then why make the car suffer? It seems to bog down quite a bit in Eco mode.

Driving the Octy for over 8 years, I did not really miss paddle shifters, but I did find myself using the tip-tronic mode often. In the Kodiaq, I feel the need for manual control is more evident.
Hi. Do agree with what you are saying. I shift to sports mode when I have to drive aggressively. Sports mode gives you adequate power at the mere tap of your right foot. But D and Eco are quite laggy. The shifts are fast if the RPM is around 2-3k is what I felt. But while cruising, when you try to push the car for an overtake, if the rpm is nestled in the low 1000s, there's definitely this lag. Which was not there when I test drove the same engine and gearbox in the new octy. Maybe the additional 500+ kilos have something to do with it.

This is my first fulltime automatic car. I was a purist till my left knee started creaking more worse than my rocking chair. So I don't have experience driving the DQ200. The only automatic transmissions I had used at least with my wife's car were all AMT till date. So don't know how well qualified I am to comment regarding the same.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th July 2022 at 11:38. Reason: Removing extra smiley.
Vocalanesthesia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:11   #610
BHPian

Took delivery of my Kodiaq L&K yesterday in pouring rain and drove straight home. Upon reaching home I was surprised to see both headlights fogged up from inside at the bottom. There was a layer of mist in both headlights. Even the left side fog lamp had few spots of mist.

Is this normal? Will this fogging problem stop after few days? Anyone else faced this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-20220709_200556.jpg  

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-20220709_200750.jpg  

Last edited by novice : 10th July 2022 at 09:21.
Old 10th July 2022, 09:52   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Is this normal? Will this fogging problem stop after few days? Anyone else faced this issue?
I have driven it in rain but yet to see this fogging.
Skoda mentions it's normal.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 11:11   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Kodiaq L&K yesterday in pouring rain and drove straight home. Upon reaching home I was surprised to see both headlights fogged up from inside at the bottom. There was a layer of mist in both headlights. Even the left side fog lamp had few spots of mist.

This is normal, I have experienced this with almost all cars that I own / owned.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 11:30   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
This is normal, I have experienced this with almost all cars that I own / owned.
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease. But I haven't seen this with any of my other cars, both old and new.
Old 10th July 2022, 15:43   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease. But I haven't seen this with any of my other cars, both old and new.
My MK3 Octavia does have that rarely, mainly depending on the rain and the time I drive. But for new i20, it’s more common. But since it goes off in couple of hours, I haven’t bothered much.
If I am not wrong, most of the times it happens after I drive in heavy rains with headlights on. As long as there are no water particles inside, I don’t think you need to worry.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th July 2022 at 15:49.
Old 10th July 2022, 23:27   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Also observed that the 12v auxiliary power on the dashboard stays ON even after the car is locked. After certain time period (many hours in my case) it turns off. I am guessing the battery management circuit keep it running until the battery reaches certain lower threshold. This is a nice touch.
Be careful buddy. I thought the power would shut off eventually in my superb, but boy was I wrong.

I forgot to unplug the dashcam, and the battery got completely depleted. These batteries are too advanced that once they're FULLY depleted, they can NOT be recharged. I had to get them replaced.
DDiSLover is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks