Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 14:43   #1636
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

I'm being offered a TD car that's run 13k kilometers by the local dealer -- 2023 vehicle for 45 lakhs on road before I do negotiation.

Would want to know what would be an ideal price that I can haggle? Also, would it make sense to buy a TD car that's driven 13k kilometers? I will still be the first owner as the car has a TC certificate 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-whatsapp-image-20240301-2.16.48-pm.jpeg
Old 1st March 2024, 15:54   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
I'm being offered a TD car that's run 13k kilometers[/ATTACH]
Stay away from TD cars my friend. I would any day take a 30k driven single owner car than a 13k driven TD cars. Usually people abuse while TD’ing - 0-100 acceleration, 60 - 0 brake test, pot hole and speed bump test, and all within a 5 to 10kms test drive which aren’t usual every day scenario, and a 13k on the odo means it has gone through this abuse atleast thousand times.

Wow, how the prices have gone up! I got a new one at about 44lacs two years back with zero cash or insurance discount
Jangra is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 16:54   #1638

Hi, I bought my Kodiaq in January 2023. Absolutely loved the car; having graduated from a 2008 Honda City VTEC, Kodiaq was a multi-generational upgrade for me.

The ride was smooth until June 2023 when the battery died. We were away on a family vacation for around 10 days and the car was parked at my apartment lying unused. After returning, when i tried to enter the car, i discovered that everything was dead. remote unlocking did not work. Had to manually unlock the door. Called Ring Road Skoda in Gurgaon (dealer) and they referred me to the road-side assistance team. They reached my house promptly and tried to jump start the car using an external battery.

Kept at it for at least 15 minutes and then i jumped into the car and drove straight to the service center as the car refused to start without jump starting. Service center blamed it on the dashcam that i had put into the car (70mai). They said that as that was put into the 12v socket (which is permanently switched on in Kodiaq) and not into the type C USB port, it had drained the battery. That, while they will check the battery and try to charge it to get it up to the necessary voltage/ output, they could not guarantee it.

When i pressed for a new replacement battery, they kept on insisting that as i had not used the "Skoda stipulated" dashcam (Blaupunkt in this case), battery drain/ replacement would not be covered by Skoda. It did not matter that the Blaupunkt dashcam also had a 12v socket (which would again drain the battery). Anyways, after much haggling, they agreed to replace the battery. But eventually, after a couple of days got a call from Ring Road Skoda that they were able to recharge the battery using a powerful external charger and that the battery was good to go.

What i want to check with the good folks at Team-BHP is this - Can a dashcam, running on a 12v socket (which is permanently on in a Kodiaq) drain a car's battery over a period of 10 days? Nevertheless, ever since then, i have put the dashcam on the type C USB charging port.

Now coming on to another set of issues that cropped up during the Delhi winters. I noticed this for the first time in December 2023 and this must have happened at least 5 or 6 times. The engine bay made a slight vibration when i used to start the engine first thing in the morning. This was followed by an engine "start/ stop error" sign going off in the instrument cluster. However, whenever i tried to start the car later during the day, this problem (engine vibration or start/ stop error) never cropped up.

Highlighted it to the service center guys in January (post another vacation of 10 days when the car was parked; thankfully no battery issues this time). Initially, i was told that the "start/ stop error" was on account of a software issue which would be sorted. They ran all kinds of diagnostic and determined that there was no issue with the battery, engine or software. I was asked to make a video if the vibration recurred or engine "start/ stop error" cropped up again.

It was all fine since then until a couple of days ago when i noticed starting issues with the engine. It took me at least 5 or 6 tries to crank up the engine. Also, the "start/ stop error" had resurfaced. This time i made a video and sent it to the RR Skoda guys. As i write this, the car has been at the service center for two days now. I just got a message that they have discovered two faulty spark plugs which have been replaced. Battery was fine and they would now try and diagnose the "start/ stop error". Need some help on this team. Would faulty spark plugs create this issue. What made the matter "interesting" was that this engine starting issue only happened in the morning and not after a ride of say even 30 minutes. If spark plugs were the issue, wouldn't it happen every single time.

Don't even want to comment on the broken AC lever bits. Had to get them all replaced. Thankfully, the RR Skoda guys charged me only 30% of the total cost of the replacements.

Any help on the above issues would be greatly appreciated.
Grootman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 18:46   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebear View Post
My car is nearly 10 months old now. I have had PPF applied to the exterior, but the interior remains as original. I'm considering something akin to a sticker for the black glovebox since I've noticed swirl marks appearing on it already. Any references for these stickers ?
I applied self healing PPF to the bumpers, ORVM and exterior and interior piano black parts and boy I am happy I did that - no swirl marks till date, after a year of use. They however did not apply PPF on the piano black part around the gear lever on center console though, as the water to be sprayed liberally may seep into and damage the electric switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootman View Post
Faulty plugs at 1 year sound unlikely - especially with the battery drain history. Lead acid batteries suffer permanent damage with the lead electrode disintegrating upon full discharge for long, which is why they never recover fully. I too had the 70mai dashcams on my 12V socket for the first few days, and used to manually unplug at the end of every trip to avoid draining the battery. Once I figured the USB-C ports do turn off automatically, I switched the dashcams to the USB-C ports and touchwood, no issues so far.

Last edited by graaja : 1st March 2024 at 18:55. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit or Multiquote features
Old Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 23:48   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Having graduated from a 2008 Honda City VTEC, Kodiaq was a multi-generational upgrade for me.

We were away on a family vacation for around 10 days and the car was parked at my apartment lying unused.
Like you, I too moved north to Kodiaq from Honda City but 2006 ZXi NA model - it was like entering a different realm altogether.

Yes, modern dashcam will drain battery over 10 days as they have surveillance mode on at all times & if they detect movement, they start recording in routine mode. I use DDPAI in 12 V socket & pull it off after parking at home, as it is locked home garage.
Also, Kodiaq has lots of other electronics that keep battery engaged at all times.

Regarding engine vibrations, it could be faulty spark plugs / dirty fuel / loose wiring or fuses leading to cranking & sparking difficulty. I have experienced similar vibrations in i10 Nios - specially in northern winters - it turned out to be loss of ignition in one cylinder due to faulty spark plug. Vibrations were so strong, at times whole engine bay used to shake.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 14:29   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSW View Post

They have given a quote of 39k for 3yrs, general service every 6months. They have outsourced it to 3m. Is it worth getting it done via skoda or one can directly approach 3m, any feedback pls?
Since you are in Pune, I would recommend getting ceramic or graphene coating from Turtle Wax Viman Nagar. I have got done my Virtus GT ceramic coated with them, the workmanship is great with positive reviews across BHPians.

I recently checked for a friend who bought a Kodiaq last week and got the price of 32k for Graphene coating with 3 years warranty. Every year once they will be doing a top coat after a detailed exterior cleaning and paint correction if needed.

Link to team-bhp review of Roughtaar Automotive (Turtle Wax Car Care Studio (Pune)).

Last edited by tsi_niks1989 : 2nd March 2024 at 14:30.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 13:20   #1642
BANNED

Hello All

I have been trying to figure out the expected date of launch for New Kodiaq . Unfortuantely haven't been ablento get concrete info both from dealers or from the news sources . If someone has internal info or confirmation from credible source about the date of launch then please do share . I have been in the market for a long time and Kodiaq if my first choice . In case if the launch goes beyond june then I will have to scout for other options.

Thanks in advance .
Old 3rd March 2024, 14:38   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I recall from my test drives in 2022, the Kodiaq came with a AGM battery.

AGMs are very different from Lead Acid batteries and need a different charging profile. I really doubt if the service guys even understand it. If an AGM is charged on a lead acid charger the outcome will not be optimal.

Secondly, AGM battery can be irreversibly damaged if it goes completely dead.

Check your battery. I'm attaching an image from a 2022 Kodiaq.

I would strongly suggest that you take this through the warranty process by documenting facts in an email.

While replacing plz ensure to replace with a AGM else you might have to re-code the charging system to work on lead acid.

Unfortunately, the local battery guy and the service guy will deny the science and push the "chalta-hai" line. For them it is just a battery.

On the topic of using an accessory, plz ask them to write the reasons for rejecting the warranty on the grounds of using a 12V accessory. Plz quote the wattage of the accessory and mention that it is in line with the wattage rating of the plug (most 12V plugs are rated at 100W-120W and you can find the detail in the manual).

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-img_0960.jpeg

[Ref] AGM vs other batteries

Last edited by cooldip : 3rd March 2024 at 14:40. Reason: added a reference link
cooldip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 23:55   #1644
BHPian

Got left headlight corrected today.
The high beam was out of alignment since last repair job. Many thanks to service manager Mr. Ajaya Kumar at Brite Skoda for sanctioning replacement under warranty.

Name:  VID20240302WA0015_1.gif
Views: 423
Size:  890.0 KB

Filled the tank up with XP100 - engine is less noisy & accelerations are brisk & smoother for sure.
Whenever I spot a XP100 bunk, I top it up over XP95.

2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG-20240303_142759.jpg
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 14:04   #1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Faulty plugs at 1 year sound unlikely - especially with the battery drain history. Lead acid batteries suffer permanent damage with the lead electrode disintegrating upon full discharge for long, which is why they never recover fully. I too had the 70mai dashcams on my 12V socket for the first few days, and used to manually unplug at the end of every trip to avoid draining the battery. Once I figured the USB-C ports do turn off automatically, I switched the dashcams to the USB-C ports and touchwood, no issues so far.
Yeah. They came back on Saturday saying that all 4 sparks plus will need to be replaced. When i insisted that they check the car thoroughly since the long start issue only happens on cold starts in the mornings, they decided to keep the car with them for another day and run additional diagnostics as per Skoda's TPI. While i am hoping for the best, slightly dreading what the actual problem could be. Its been 5 days already

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th March 2024 at 14:20. Reason: Fixed the broken quote tags
Grootman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 15:29   #1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
As far as I recall from my test drives in 2022, the Kodiaq came with a AGM battery.

AGMs are very different from Lead Acid batteries and need a different charging profile. I really doubt if the service guys even understand it. If an AGM is charged on a lead acid charger the outcome will not be optimal.

Secondly, AGM battery can be irreversibly damaged if it goes completely dead.

Check your battery. I'm attaching an image from a 2022 Kodiaq.

I would strongly suggest that you take this through the warranty process by documenting facts in an email.

While replacing plz ensure to replace with a AGM else you might have to re-code the charging system to work on lead acid.

Unfortunately, the local battery guy and the service guy will deny the science and push the "chalta-hai" line. For them it is just a battery.

On the topic of using an accessory, plz ask them to write the reasons for rejecting the warranty on the grounds of using a 12V accessory. Plz quote the wattage of the accessory and mention that it is in line with the wattage rating of the plug (most 12V plugs are rated at 100W-120W and you can find the detail in the manual).

Attachment 2578749

[Ref] AGM vs other batteries

Hi,
My Kodiaq also has the same battery AGM/ Varta battery. Ya...that is what i have been trying to tell them that more that the spark plugs, battery seems to be a concern since the long start issue occurs only in the morning during cold starts.

Got a long message from the service center on Saturday - >
"Good evening sir,
Sorry for the delay in response.
Morning time mai car long self se start ho rhi hai or vibration hai.
Hmri team ne is concern k liye Spark replace kiye the.
Aaj morning Mai car start ki same concern aa rha hai.
Hamri team kal same concern skoda back end ko share krege.
Aaj intake manifold ka carbon b clean Kiya tha as per Skoda TPI.
Aapko kal update krta hu is concern k reading.
Please*manage"
<-

And today (Monday) i was told that it will take a minimum of 3 to 4 days more. Already been 5 days now. They seem to be confused and are awaiting further instruction from their central tech team/ flying doctor. Planning to write to Skoda India management on this.

Also, what is the policy on providing a loaner car. I did request it but they mentioned that they do not have a loaner car
Grootman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2024, 17:50   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to write to Skoda India management on this.

Also, what is the policy on providing a loaner car. I did request it but they mentioned that they do not have a loaner car
I don't think writing to Skoda India will do any help - they will again redirect to concerned dealer.

I had requested loaner many a times in past, but didn't got any.
Old 4th March 2024, 22:47   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I bought my Kodiaq in January 2023. Absolutely loved the car; having graduated from a 2008 Honda City VTEC, Kodiaq was a multi-generational upgrade for me.

Same thing happened to me for my Superb. I forgot to unplug the dashcam, and the battery got drained. The issue is that the accessory sockets stay on even when the car is locked. Skoda claim that it stays on for 20 mins after locking, but that doesn't align with my experience.

I negotiated with the dealer, who covered 93% of the price for a new battery and got it replaced. These batteries are funky, once it is fully depleted, it can never be charged or fixed.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 11:30   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
It took me at least 5 or 6 tries to crank up the engine. Also, the "start/ stop error" had resurfaced.
And Voila.. Got the same cranking issue as the Grootman. Got XP100 fuel filled up & issue cropped up. In my case, I feel it's the bad fuel. But if XP100 can create such issue with modern engines, where we should go? If not adulteration, it could be increased water content due to stagnation due to lesser sale of XP100.

Issue crops up only in the morning, after that car behaves normally as if nothing has happened. Sent video to Skoda team, said it could be battery issue, but again rechecked battery health & charge - it's all good. With resting volts of 12.76.
Let's see where this issue takes us. Will keep updating. Following is the Video that I made:

SilverSmoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 12:15   #1650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
And Voila.. Got the same cranking issue as the Grootman. Got XP100 fuel filled up & issue cropped up. In my case, I feel it's the bad fuel. But if XP100 can create such issue with modern engines, where we should go? If not adulteration, it could be increased water content due to stagnation due to lesser sale of XP100.

Issue crops up only in the morning, after that car behaves normally as if nothing has happened. Sent video to Skoda team, said it could be battery issue, but again rechecked battery health & charge - it's all good. With resting volts of 12.76.
Let's see where this issue takes us. Will keep updating.
Literally the same issue. I have only ever used XP95 in my Kodiaq. Now wondering if that's the culprit apart from the battery concern that i have. Let's see what the service center comes up with.
Grootman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks