Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2023, 06:58   #736
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

My Tiguan has suddenly developed a constant noise coming from rear right wheel. All of a sudden. The car is only 5 months, 1500 kms old. The noise is prominent and doesn't go away at all. VW was prompt to send a technician - he thinks it's the brake. But I will have to send to service centre. And because I am not ok for the car to be driven to service centre with this noise (I don't know what is getting damaged further inside if the car is driven more), RSA is going to arrange a flat bed.

So this is going to be my first time on a flat bed. Sadly it is for my brand new 40 lakhs Tiguan. I was afraid of this when buying VW - this forum had kind of indicated that reliability will be a hit or miss. This does feel painful. My Honda city in 9 years has been to workshop only twice - once when its battery failed in the first year (and had to be replaced under warranty) and next when a biker hit it from behind causing damage that had to be repaired under insurance. No other issue ever in 45k kms over 9 years.

I hope these things don't become a recurring feature of my Tiguan.

Last edited by keviv : 14th November 2023 at 07:00.
Old 16th November 2023, 09:58   #737
BHPian

Not sure if it was shared already, Now Tiguan get's benefits upto INR 4,20,000.

Link : https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/mode...an.html#offers
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-tiguan-offer.jpg  

Viraj_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 08:13   #738
BHPian

Guys how can I reach VW India management? The VW North in Mumbai (Mira road workshop) guys have been quite horrible - they have not managed to get the car picked up despite multiple follow-ups. The entire customer service staff is untrained and unprofessional. I will need to escalate to VW.
Old 20th November 2023, 09:08   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviv View Post
Guys how can I reach VW India management? The VW North in Mumbai (Mira road workshop) guys have been quite horrible - they have not managed to get the car picked up despite multiple follow-ups. The entire customer service staff is untrained and unprofessional. I will need to escalate to VW.
You have the toll free number for road side assistance, so just call and arrange the flat bed for pick up yourself. Once car reaches dealership, I would suggest personally dropping in and ensuring job card is opened immediately (always the case for breakdown vehicles) and work starts quickly after a scan. If things don’t go the way you like, ping VW on X(Twitter) or Instagram.
Old 20th November 2023, 10:48   #740

Hi all, have a quick question - does anyone feel/hear a slight engine clutter sound when at low speeds especially when the engine is jerky due to sudden acceleration and deceleration? I hear the sound and it mostly seems to be coming from engine mounts. At higher speeds and normal speeds, there is no sound. It is not engine knocking from whatever I have seen/heard online and I have only filled 95+ RON fuel till now. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2023 at 04:51. Reason: Excess dots deleted; punctuation
Old 8th December 2023, 15:38   #741
BHPian

Back to back posts merged

Finally after lot of analysis and going back and forth with lot of drama, bought the Tiguan home last week of November !! Thanks to owners in this forum who responded to my queries related to Tiguan.

Apologies for the long post, but here goes...

Background

We have a Mahindra XUV500 for the last 5 years. This car has lot of positives like very spacious first and second row, strong and refined diesel engine etc. In fact second row can accommodate 2 car seats and an additional passenger very comfortably which very few cars can do. Even though car was comfortable and meeting our needs, an itch started to upgrade to a more fun to drive car with more power and better suspension/dynamics.

The Search

Over the last 1 year, did analysis and test drive of many cars in the 20-50L price range.

1) Skoda Octavia new - Strong engine, performance and dynamics. But cramped backseat.
2) Skoda Superb new - Same engine as Octavia, very luxurious with better back seat. But low ground clearance for Bangalore roads.
3) VW Tiguan - Even though it has same 2L engine, felt a connect with the car during driving which I am not able to express in words. Car also felt solid. Negatives are backseat width is less compared to XUV and slightly stiffer ride. Shortlisted.
4) Toyota Fortuner - Since we are considering cars in this price range, how can we ignore the king of the segment. So thought of taking a test drive. But very impressed after the test drive - the 2021 facelift is very nice to drive, suspension also much better and the way it pulls with 500Nm torque is unbelievable. Shortlisted.
5) Skoda Kodiaq - Same 2L engine, but somehow performance did not feel as good as other cars. Main negative was the last row which we felt not even good for kids.
6) Jeep Compass/Meridian - Liked the looks of the Jeep from the time it was launched but the diesel engine and automatic gearbox did not feel very enthusiastic.

Considered some used cars as well:

1) BMW 320d - Car was good, but ground clearance and back seat not enough.
2) BMW X1 - Same engine as 320d with better ground clearance and fun to drive. Shortlisted.
3) Skoda Octavia VRS - What a car !! Out of all the cars in this list, this was most enthusiastic car even better than the BMWs. The car encourages you to push and the DSG fart when you rev can get very addictive. Unfortunately very low seating compared to standard Octavia and low ground clearance - even managed to scrape a hump during our test drive as well. Also very expensive - 2017/18 ones are selling at the same price when bought new. But if I had an option to keep one more car, this is the one to have. They dont make these type of cars anymore :(

So the shortlist came to Toyota Fortuner, VW Tiguan and used BMW X1. Did multiple test drives of these 3 cars.

Fortuner - Slightly big for our requirements and expensive. 4 wheel drive version was almost 10 L more than Tiguan. So dropped this.

BMW X1 used - At around 5L more was getting a brand new Tiguan. So dropped this.

Around this time, new Tiguan launched internationally in September. So had second thoughts whether to wait for new one. But did not like the looks of the new one and even dealers not sure on which engine will come with new Tiguan and when it will launch. Also by November some more discounts started on the Tiguan which tilted the decision in favor of the current Tiguan.

Pic while taking delivery of new Tiguan nightshade blue colour

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-pxl_20231125_1222495273.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2023 at 04:53.
toretto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 16:11   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyakkr1709 View Post
Hi all, have a quick question - does anyone feel/hear a slight engine clutter sound when at low speeds especially when engine is jerky due to sudden acceleration and deceleration... I hear the sound and it mostly seems to be coming from engine mounts, at higher speeds and normal speed there is no sound. It is not engine knocking from whatever I have seen/heard online and I have only filled 95+ RON fuel as well till now... any thoughts on this..
Same with my Kodiaq. I feel the clutter is more pronounced with start/stop system deactivated.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 20:45   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Same with my Kodiaq. I feel the clutter is more pronounced with start/stop system deactivated.
Ok, so we are not alone but it is not ideal or good. I did get XP100 filled on a near empty tank but this slight clutter at slow speeds remained. I will get this checked during the 6 month service and share my findings.
Old 10th December 2023, 10:42   #744

Congratulations on the new car @toretto!
Tiguan is a great car to drive on highways and this where it outshines many of its rivals but to my surprise it performs really well on off roads too.
I have been to zanskar, Ladakh, Darma valley and Vyas valley( Adi Kailash and om parvat ).
There are issues but all can be dealt with.
Old 12th December 2023, 14:57   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimalayanDoctor View Post
Congratulations on the new car @toretto!
Tiguan is a great car to drive on highways and this where it outshines many of its rivals but to my surprise it performs really well on off roads too.
I have been to zanskar, Ladakh, Darma valley and Vyas valley( Adi Kailash and om parvat ).
There are issues but all can be dealt with.
Thank you ! Great to know that car is performing well in different conditions. Just curious to know about the issues ?
Old 12th December 2023, 19:35   #746

I have had a few of them so far.
1. I hear a strange squeaking sound from the steering column whenever I am turning on hilly road at a speed of more than 20 kph and after driving for more than an hour.
2. Dsg overheated twice in zanskar while going from padum to gonbo rangjon, but to negate this I used the paddle shifters(the dsg goes into manual mode) this time.
3. Recently on a trip to Adi kailash I had EPC and faulty exhaust system warning light ( though the car had zero niggles while driving), for which I had to get my fuel tank cleaned after completing the trip.
HimalayanDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 09:20   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Dsg overheated twice in zanskar while going from padum to gonbo rangjon, but to negate this I used the paddle shifters(the dsg goes into manual mode) this time.
Did you get an error message on the cluster / screen? This happened after what kind of distance covered? What is the current age / mileage of your Tiguan?
Old 13th December 2023, 10:14   #748

I got my car’s petrol tank full at pithoragarh which was around 50-60 kms away from the point I got message and post that it was all offroad for around 300 kms.
The car had no power drop/jerks.
My car returned a mileage of 5 kmpl on the bad roads.
City bumper to bumper traffic: 7 kmpl
On highways (light footed): 14kmpl
On highways (if heavy on the accelerator): 10-11kmpl.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_5015.jpeg  

Old 13th December 2023, 12:26   #749
BHPian

Quote:
I have had a few of them so far.
1. I hear a strange squeaking sound from the steering column whenever I am turning on hilly road at a speed of more than 20 kph and after driving for more than an hour.
3. Recently on a trip to Adi kailash I had EPC and faulty exhaust system warning light ( though the car had zero niggles while driving), for which I had to get my fuel tank cleaned after completing the trip.
Thanks, I am only worried about the 3rd one. Did you get this error with 91 octane or 95 octane fuel ?
Old 13th December 2023, 14:26   #750

I almost every time get 95 octane filled but at times due non availability(remote areas), I get it filled with the normal petrol (E10).

But the issue was not due to RON 95 or 91 but due impurities in the petrol filled at pithoragarh(Indian oil pump) for which SA advised to get the fuel tank cleaned.

Thanks.

Edit: Okay I get it. I got octane 91 filled this time just before the light lit up.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th December 2023 at 14:41. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Most Viewed