Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2023, 21:36   #691
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Hi Friends,

Recently had a test drive of Tiguan in the afternoon sun around 1:30 pm and it felt very hot in backseat with rear temp set to 17 deg. Maybe it is due to the panoramic sunroof.

Any owners facing the same issue ? Will sunfilm on the sunroof help ?
Old 16th August 2023, 21:56   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Any owners facing the same issue ? Will sunfilm on the sunroof help ?
Cooling is fine in my case. I live in Mumbai. Certainly better than my Honda City. The flimsy sunroof cover does make things hot though.
Old 17th August 2023, 16:35   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post
Recently had a test drive of Tiguan in the afternoon sun around 1:30 pm and it felt very hot in backseat with rear temp set to 17 deg. Maybe it is due to the panoramic sunroof.
It is a known fact that Tiguan's A/C is not the most effective when it comes to Indian climatic conditions. That, coupled with the paper-thin sunroof cover, ensures that you have to keep the automatic climate control on its toes to get the cabin reasonably cooled on a sunny day. I know a few folks who have covered their Tiguan's sunroof with a sun-film - does help to an extent but do not expect Mahindra or Toyota kind of cooling in any case.

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th August 2023 at 16:36.
Old 18th August 2023, 08:03   #694
BHPian

Tiguan has had another price hike yesterday - 47k this time.

There were already two hikes this year - April 71k and May 49k.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...287681447.html
Old 22nd August 2023, 17:07   #695
BHPian

Checked out the new 2023 Tiguan with the updated interiors at the showroom. While the original black interiors did look classy, the lighter fabric does brighten up the interiors.
Quoted onroad price here in Goa is 420740.00 This is the new OBD-2 model.
The earlier model is referred to as an OBD-1.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8518.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8506.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8519.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8507.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8516.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8511.jpeg  

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-img_8509.jpeg  

The Goan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 21:19   #696
BHPian

Hello all! I believe that this is my first post on team-bhp after a very long time, perhaps after a whole decade and a half. Those were the days when the Ikon/NHC/Palio/Baleno ruled the discussion forums.

Fast-forward to the present. I bought a Tiguan in December 22 and have been meaning to get back on to the forum and post a review (which I plan to do eventually), but a few niggles and issues with the Tiguan are keeping me a bit unhappy. My biggest grouse is that there is a clunking/thud noise from the front suspension area while going over speed-breakers or dips in the road. It sounds as if the bump-stops come into play on compression and extension of the suspension very easily - although I could be wrong here on the technicals.

Off late I have been aggressively pursuing VW to help sort this out, but as you can imagine, they try to brush it off as an 'operational noise'. It is a very strange and unacceptable 'operational noise' on a near 40 lac car! Such clunks/thus are only heard in other cars when you crash through a pothole or don't see a speedbreaker in time and go too fast, but not in normal speed driving operations. Any thoughts and suggestions? Would love to hear if other Tiguan owners have noticed this in their vehicles?
Old 25th August 2023, 23:25   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero View Post
Off late I have been aggressively pursuing VW to help sort this out, but as you can imagine, they try to brush it off as an 'operational noise'. It is a very strange and unacceptable 'operational noise' on a near 40 lac car! Such clunks/thus are only heard in other cars when you crash through a pothole or don't see a speedbreaker in time and go too fast, but not in normal speed driving operations. Any thoughts and suggestions? Would love to hear if other Tiguan owners have noticed this in their vehicles?
This is a 'design' issue and you will see this being reported from the older Tiguans (TDI) as well as Tiguan Allspace owners. I have been really under inflating the tyres (32 PSI against the recommended 38 PSI) on my Allspace (only within the city) and it helps to an extent.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 23:51   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is a 'design' issue and you will see this being reported from the older Tiguans (TDI) as well as Tiguan Allspace owners. I have been really under inflating the tyres (32 PSI against the recommended 38 PSI) on my Allspace (only within the city) and it helps to an extent.
VW anyways recommends 33PSI for 'comfort' in Tiguan. Shows up as recommended in the TPMS as well, but yes, that doesn't really get rid of the issue.

I have noticed some Tiguans without this issue somehow, which is what makes me wonder whether it is an all round design flaw or a batch(es) related issue. Do the Kodiaq (without DCC) and Q3 also have the same suspension components?

Is there a known fix to this?

I would be really grateful if some Tiguan/Kodiaq owners who are not facing this issue could also step-forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goan View Post
Checked out the new 2023 Tiguan with the updated interiors at the showroom. While the original black interiors did look classy, the lighter fabric does brighten up the interiors.
Quoted onroad price here in Goa is 420740.00 This is the new OBD-2 model.
The earlier model is referred to as an OBD-1.
All I can say is, please drive the test car over a few speed-breakers to see if you notice a clunk/thud. It is quite an annoying issue to deal with. Honestly, in a car of this price, I call it unforgiveable. Had I known I would have to listen to these clunks/thuds so frequently I may as well have given the Tiguan a skip.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th August 2023 at 10:13.
Old 26th August 2023, 00:51   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed some Tiguans without this issue somehow, which is what makes me wonder whether it is an all round design flaw or a batch(es) related issue. Do the Kodiaq (without DCC) and Q3 also have the same suspension components?
Were these Tiguans with 17" rims (Comfortline in the older Tiguans)? I am curious about how much difference the 17" wheels with taller side walls make.
Kodiaq owners don't seem to have this issue as the car is relatively softly sprung.
Old 26th August 2023, 07:22   #700
BHPian

I dont have this thud issue on my Tiguan.

I hear a noise at times when I switch on the car and move forward - but i think this is the noise due to parking break getting auto released. It's a loud noise though. This noise doesnt come if I release the parking brake myself manually and then move forward.
keviv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:32   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Were these Tiguans with 17" rims (Comfortline in the older Tiguans)? I am curious about how much difference the 17" wheels with taller side walls make.
Kodiaq owners don't seem to have this issue as the car is relatively softly sprung.
I think it was an old Highline. And even one of the new ones.
Old 26th August 2023, 10:34   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviv View Post
I dont have this thud issue on my Tiguan.

I hear a noise at times when I switch on the car and move forward - but i think this is the noise due to parking break getting auto released. It's a loud noise though. This noise doesnt come if I release the parking brake myself manually and then move forward.
This is very good and encouraging to know. This is then not a universal 'operating noise' as VW is trying to tell me. What tyre pressure are you typically running?

On the noises while setting off, break moans and groans are very common with the Tiguan, especially when setting off after the car has been stationary for a while. Its noisier than I would've liked though. VWs explanation for this is the 'semi-metallic' brake pads.

Last edited by Fiero : 26th August 2023 at 10:38.
Old 26th August 2023, 11:07   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is very good and encouraging to know. This is then not a universal 'operating noise' as VW is trying to tell me. .
I wanted to mention another observation (I don't know if it is really genuine):
Shock absorbing behaviour on my Tiguan (Allspace) is not consistent and bit is unpredictable. Sometimes you see a bad patch ahead and you prepare yourself for the thud noise and jerk but it just absorbs it well and glides. But some other times you are taken by surprise by some mild imperfection on the road which you would not even have noticed and the resultant thud.
I believe this may be due to the 'relative state' of the spring and the damper at the time of taking on the imperfection. Is the dampening set up on Tiguan too slow to come back to normal condition compared to other cars?
Simillar observation when you are going on normal/smooth roads: At times the ride is so smooth, it feels like gliding or going on a greased surface . But sometimes it feels very ordinary where you could feel the surface below.

Last edited by Guna : 26th August 2023 at 11:09.
Old 26th August 2023, 14:07   #704
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to mention another observation (I don't know if it is really genuine):
Shock absorbing behaviour on my Tiguan (Allspace) is not consistent and bit is unpredictable. Sometimes you see a bad patch ahead and you prepare yourself for the thud noise and jerk but it just absorbs it well and glides. But some other times you are taken by surprise by some mild imperfection on the road which you would not even have noticed and the resultant thud.
I believe this may be due to the 'relative state' of the spring and the damper at the time of taking on the imperfection. Is the dampening set up on Tiguan too slow to come back to normal condition compared to other cars?
Simillar observation when you are going on normal/smooth roads: At times the ride is so smooth, it feels like gliding or going on a greased surface . But sometimes it feels very ordinary where you could feel the surface below.
In a way I get what you mean. I've only driven my Tiguan for 5000km so far, and I also find it hard to predict sometimes how it will behave over potholes. But for the most part I've been quite happy with it. Higher the speed, the generally better it gets.
Fiero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 08:01   #705
BHPian

Quote:
This is very good and encouraging to know. This is then not a universal 'operating noise' as VW is trying to tell me. What tyre pressure are you typically running?
I keep 33 psi in all tyres.

Most Viewed