Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2022, 01:01   #556
BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagster View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am almost in a mindset of cross shopping from Octavia to Tiguan. Octavia L&K is up 37 OTR and I am not much happy with Skoda removing features silently and hiking prices.

So why not extend 2 more Lakh and get a Tiguan (Screw my mind ).

I see there are no fogs in Tiguan. Dear owners, do you miss them on your night drives or the IQ light makes up for it?

I am yet to get a TD of Tiguan. But i have made a TD of octavia several times and been quietly impressed with its sheer pleasure. How is the drive performance in Tiguan. Are there anyone like me hanging between Octavia and Tiguan, please share your thoughts.
If i remember right there is more on this in the Octavia thread. I believe there was also a specific thread on this very question. You might find perusing that page useful.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 11:49   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see there are no fogs in Tiguan. Dear owners, do you miss them on your night drives or the IQ light makes up for it?
While I did not get to TD at night time, the IQ light's seem impressive if one goes by the video shared by the manufacturer for the Tiguan:

Other than that, perhaps actual owners can give us their experience in fog conditions with their Tiguan.

Quote:
How is the drive performance in Tiguan. Are there anyone like me hanging between Octavia and Tiguan, please share your thoughts.
I am. The drive is nowhere nearly as impressive as the Octavia, that can be blamed on a different tuning of the same engine/gearbox and the the higher ride height when it comes to cornering at high speeds.
In sport mode this somewhat made up for the lack of acceleration but you must remember it is still an SUV and not a long slung sedan.
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 13:30   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Other than that, perhaps actual owners can give us their experience in fog conditions with their Tiguan.

I am. The drive is nowhere nearly as impressive as the Octavia, that can be blamed on a different tuning of the same engine/gearbox and the the higher ride height when it comes to cornering at high speeds.
In sport mode this somewhat made up for the lack of acceleration but you must remember it is still an SUV and not a long slung sedan.
The fog lights are integrated into the main headlight units. One of the standout features of the car as per my experience has been the lights. They are excellent and make driving at night and in foggy conditions very easy. The throw and breadth of the lights are impressive Also you have all weather lights which you can switch on whenever you want which work as additional fog lamps and provide wider light coverage.

One also needs to consider the weight of the vehicles, Octavia is at around 1490kgs and the Tiguan weighs in around 1750 kgs. That said both the cars shouldn’t be compared. A sedan is a sedan and an suv cannot match the driving thrill of one. The Suv provides other practical advantages which a sedan cannot deliver. I would suggest as before, there is only that much one can do through research. Drive the cars. That is and always will be the definitive decider.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:21   #559
BHPian

Had a TD of the Tiguan recently. I would say the car handles great and the suspension is on the stiffer side on slow speeds (Not a big complaint though and can be tweaked with right Tyre pressure) and the ride quality is nice at high speeds and can almost gap the vehicles like a hatch.

No Electric passenger seat is a miss, coupled with ventilated seats (Seats being black colour, might absorb more heat than white seats in Kodiaq)

The SA was claiming Tiguan has a premium Audio with a SW Under seat and it is just not advertised. While i couldn't check the brand name on the TD, but it had better audio.

Owners - Can you please clarify if there are any Under seat SW on the vehicle?

Also, what are the current offers on Tiguan? I am quoted 39.5 OTR with 4 years SVP .

Note: Still confused between Sedan(Octavia) and SUV (Tiguan) as this would be replacing my Polo that is serving us since 2013 and will be used for all Long trips across the states.I am conformable with GC of Octavia (137 / 104 mm), but still Tiguan scores an edge with AWD, GC as the approach angle of octavia with its low GC could be an issue with Ramps and Unpaved roads .
Old 15th January 2023, 22:47   #560
BHPian

Quote:

Owners - Can you please clarify if there are any Under seat SW on the vehicle?

but still Tiguan scores an edge with AWD, GC as the approach angle of octavia with its low GC could be an issue with Ramps and Unpaved roads .
Not sure of the SW under the seat, but I find the performance of the speakers up to the mark. Especially with lossless music it’s pretty good.
If you do use village roads etc, then I would suggest the Tiguan. Although there is no issue with the Octavia in city or highway conditions, I’d it’s fully loaded I do feel it has a tendency to scrape if you’re not careful and you approach a jump fast.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 17:53   #561
BHPian

As an ex-Harrier owner and after an extensive TD of the Octavia, I did an extensive TD of the Tiguan. My observations are as follows

Positive observations
1. It's an absolute driver's delight. However, Octavia is still the benchmark. Nothing beats that sedan dynamics.
2. Size-wise, it is sufficient enough for 5 adults. This is way spacious than an Octavia, especially at the rear seats.
3. Handling is fantastic for a car of this size.
4. Being a CKD, the quality of materials used are top notch. Nothing better than this in terms of build quality, finesse, fit & finish.
5. It's a head turner for me in terms of looks. Looks are understated, simple and elegant. I liked it.
6. Boot space is sufficient for most of the cases.
7. DQ381 is way better in terms of reliability than a DQ200.

Negative observations
1. The suspension is way too hard for our roads. Even though I may be exaggerating, the ride quality difference is day & night compared to Harrier and Octavia.
2. This feels like it is more suitable for highways and good roads. The moment you get bad roads or even undulations and speed breakers for that matter, it is definitely felt inside. The ride becomes uncomfortable.
3. Feature list - even though this is not a negative since I am not a gizmo person, as per market standards it lacks many features for this price like ventilated seats, 360 camera, etc.
4. The turbo lag and the slow throttle response is very evident compared to the Octavia. Probably this is because Tiguan is taller and 200+ kgs heavier than Octavia.
5. Mileage. Being a 2L petrol DSG, I assume that the mileage will be in single digit in the city limits and around 12-14 on the highways.
6. The AC controls are not user friendly. It is definitely a bane to use, especially when driving.
7. Being a CKD, I understand that the cost of maintenance will be twice than that of Harrier. Even if I opt for the 4 + 2 years warranty and 4 years service package, I assume that I will still end up paying twice the cost.
8. Tiguan is definitely not worth 40L compared to the market standards. This is no Kodiaq with that DCC, 7 seats, features, and quality to command such a high premium.
9. The sports mode just like the Octavia is a joke. It only increases the rpm during gear change.

Overall this is typical European VW that is probably reluctantly trying to satisfy the Indian customers in the Indian conditions.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 10:24   #562
Senior - BHPian

If it helps, I have been offered the following over follow-up phone conversations, this is in Bombay:

-50k cash discount or 'free' first 1 year comprehensive insuarance
-4 year service pack included

The above is offered regardless of colour choice.
I would like to also mention that after my telephonic conversation I'm almost certain one can now push for even higher Cash discounts, If done in person and especially If you are about to close post initial booking.

Hope this helps. Got me real close to book Tiguan earlier than expected but decided to still be on pause as I am wondering if there will be a mild refresh for MY2023 Tiguan where they add wireless Carplay and Ventilated seating.
Old 26th January 2023, 10:37   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a test drive of the Tiguan, it drives really nice, but one major grip my wife had was the rear ac, even at lowest it was not cooling the car with sunroof open.

I have found AC on Vento also below par, maybe it is VW thing, but other then that car is nice though the interiors feel a bit dated now.

I was offered one lac discount (50K Cash + 50K Corporate), without even asking, so I am sure there is more room for negotiation. The 4 year service pack is also included. I will be skipping this car as I really don't want to repeat VW car again, though i had no major issues with them from service side and Vento still drives amazing.

Hope they can come up with a facelift soon and add cooled ventilated seats and wireless carplay atleast to the car. The infotainment system can also grow a bit larger in size if possible. Don't think any ADAS feature is coming anytime soon to VW cars, so competition which is ideally the Tucson, still continues to be a better pick, if petrol and diesel are both viable options. If only petrol the Tiguan seems like a great car to pick.

Last edited by AtheK : 26th January 2023 at 10:38.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:32   #564
BHPian

I got an update from the VW dealer on the pricing for Tiguan. They quoted me 38.8 Lakhs for Tiguan Exclusive with all the bells and whistles, AWD and including 5th and 6th year warranty. So all inclusive of 4+2 warranty it is 38.8 lakhs (a 3.3L discount). While I am still trying to bring it down further, is this a good deal for car that matches all my requirements except for 2 (Ride quality a bit hard - which I think I should compromise and Petrol only option - I don't mind spending the additional money on my monthly fuel expenses because its a drivers delight CKD VW and don't have to worry about DPF issues)?
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 17:04   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
even at lowest it was not cooling the car with sunroof open.
Was the sunroof glass open or only the fabric inside? In either case, with the hot sun rays coming inside, AC would struggle to cool down the car.
Old 30th January 2023, 18:35   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Was the sunroof glass open or only the fabric inside? In either case, with the hot sun rays coming inside, AC would struggle to cool down the car.
Only the fabric inside, while the front seats got fine in sometime, rear was struggling really bad. I tested BYD also at same time and AC On it was far better.
Old 30th January 2023, 18:53   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
So all inclusive of 4+2 warranty it is 38.8 lakhs (a 3.3L discount). While I am still trying to bring it down further, is this a good deal for car that matches all my requirements except for 2 (Ride quality a bit hard - which I think I should compromise and Petrol only option - I don't mind spending the additional money on my monthly fuel expenses because its a drivers delight CKD VW and don't have to worry about DPF issues)?
You already know the major cons. In addition, I believe it suffers from inefficient AC. Please look into this aspect and do a test drive in hot sunny day. It also loses on some good to have features such as a ventilated seats, wireless charger and a remote engine start.

Your heart is set for this car and it is indeed a great car if you plan to take it more on the highway.
CArspeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:41   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
You already know the major cons. In addition, I believe it suffers from inefficient AC. Please look into this aspect and do a test drive in hot sunny day. It also loses on some good to have features such as a ventilated seats, wireless charger and a remote engine start.

Your heart is set for this car and it is indeed a great car if you plan to take it more on the highway.
This will be my all-purpose and only car. I was an ex-Harrier owner which turned out to be lemon. I am sure Tiguan will be way better than a Harrier in terms of reliability.

I am least bothered about the ventilated seats, wireless charger and remote engine start. I appreciate strong mechanicals and build than these gizmos.

However, AC cooling is definitely a concern. While it is a common issue in Kushaq-Taigun and Slavia-Virtus twins, is it a significant concern with Octavia, Tiguan and Kodiaq as well, which are actually CKDs?
Any other owners facing this AC inefficiency, especially during the Indian summers?
Old 31st January 2023, 10:45   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
While it is a common issue in Kushaq-Taigun and Slavia-Virtus twins, is it a significant concern with Octavia, Tiguan and Kodiaq as well, which are actually CKDs
There haven't been any AC reports on CKD/CBU models AFAIK. I agree, there were concerns on India 2.0 models, which was true and rectified later.

I have made extensive TD of Octavia (8 times) and Tiguan (3 times) and never seen AC to be underperforming. Also, there are many posts about Octavia's better AC performance on Octavia's thread.

I guess, this would not be a dealbreaker as CKD units have 2 Zone / 3 zone AC unlike India 2.0 models.
vagster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 16:34   #570
BHPian

I recently inquired with VW Palace cross and they weren't offering substantial discounts for the 2022 stock apart from the usual 50K. Not even loyalty bonus. Please let me know if anyone is aware of any other dealer offering more discounts. I just love the car but 40+ on road in Bangalore pounds my heart. Sooner or later the excitement will subside and reality will hit - but then again some machines put a smile every time you drive one and this is one of those.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks