Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2024, 09:43   #676
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

My Punch occasionally goes into limp mode during the first run in the morning - speed stuck at 10 kmph in first gear and 20 kmph in 2nd gear and above. Only on restarting the vehicle functionalities come back to normal. No malfunction indicator lights come up on the MID. SA said not to worry and that he could flash the ECM when I visit the service centre next time. I'm not convinced though.

Has anyone faced similar issues?
Old 17th May 2024, 11:35   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
My Punch occasionally goes into limp mode during the first run in the morning - speed stuck at 10 kmph in first gear and 20 kmph in 2nd gear and above. Only on restarting the vehicle functionalities come back to normal. No malfunction indicator lights come up on the MID. SA said not to worry and that he could flash the ECM when I visit the service centre next time. I'm not convinced though.

Is this a BS6 ph2 model? Try see what the error messages are popping up in their diagnostic tool. Most of the times it's because of the start stop system which is very glitchy in the latest ones. But once the error codes are cleared the check engine light should not come back.

Last edited by damodar : 17th May 2024 at 11:36.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 11:44   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Is this a BS6 ph2 model? Try see what the error messages are popping up in their diagnostic tool. Most of the times it's because of the start stop system which is very glitchy in the latest ones. But once the error codes are cleared the check engine light should not come back.
Yes, it is a BS6 Phase 2 model (July 2023). No, there is no check engine light or any such indicator on the MID when the limp mode happens. Since their service center is 50+ km away, I haven't gone there yet. But if the issue occurs more frequently I will go there.
Old 17th May 2024, 12:46   #679
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I faced the same issue sometime last week. Again a BSVI Phase 2 vehicle. However, this occurred in the afternoon, not in the morning. The problem went away after restarting and has not occurred again.

The Idle Start Stop is also buggy, though I prefer switching it off usually as it is a pain in Chennai weather!

Cheers
Ram
marsbhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 10:05   #680
BHPian

I recently test drove the Tata Punch EV Empowered+ LR Variant.

Pluses:

1. Car looks nice and well differentiated from Tata Punch ICE, especially at the front
2. Fun to drive, feels like driving a high powered go kart, sharp handling and good pickup
3. Loaded to the gills with features; more importantly with all safety tech
4. One Pedal driving is possible in re-gen mode 3. Use of paddle shifts to change regenerative braking settings is nice touch.
5. LR has decent enough range, 300 kms in real world, AC Fast Charging Available
6. Cheapest practical EV option (MG Comet serves a unique use case)
7. 8 Year Warranty on battery pack, extended warranty options available

Minuses:

1. At 15 lacs plus on road, seems overpriced at 50% premium over corresponding Tata Punch ICE top end model; payback period of 5 years @ 10000 km/year
2. A brand new electronics loaded product from Tata is a short and long term reliability question mark
3. Rotary 'gear' selector is fiddly to use
4. Raised Floor (due to battery pack) compared to that of Punch ICE makes for an odd seating position, especially on the rear seat
5. Recent Nexon EV price drop, yet to flow down to Punch EV
6. Nosediving global resale prices of EV's vs. ICE Vehicles
Old 18th May 2024, 14:12   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is a BS6 Phase 2 model (July 2023). No, there is no check engine light or any such indicator on the MID when the limp mode happens. Since their service center is 50+ km away, I haven't gone there yet. But if the issue occurs more frequently I will go there.
My Oct'22 Punch has a similar problem of engine gasping for breath, not responding to throttle inputs below 1500rpm in 2nd gear. After a few months later I realized that this is due to the engine not reaching ambient temperature. Work around is I do not quick shift to 2nd during the first drive of the day. There would be no Check engine light or any other warnings.

There are a lot of flat spots and throttling/fuel mapping issues in the Punch 1.2 engine. The after sales is so incompetent that they do not even acknowledge the issue, instead pass it on as poor driving style . Since then I never demanded for an ECU flash as I was afraid it might unnecessarily open a can of worms.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 18th May 2024 at 14:13.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 15:49   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
After a few months later I realized that this is due to the engine not reaching ambient temperature. Work around is I do not quick shift to 2nd during the first drive of the day. There would be no Check engine light or any other warnings.
This seems plausible since my car is not driven every day and as it is a slope soon after we exit our compound, I tend to quickly shift to the 2nd gear. I will try your approach next time.

Quote:
Since then I never demanded for an ECU flash as I was afraid it might unnecessarily open a can of worms.
This is exactly my reason not to think of ECU flash!
gischethans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 13:14   #683
BHPian

Quote:
After a few months later I realized that this is due to the engine not reaching ambient temperature.
Thanks for the information. Like gischethans (Tata Punch Review) has mentioned already, I too experienced this when the engine was cold. I too have a tendency to shift to 2nd gear as early as possible. Guess I have to be mindful of the engine temperature before doing so.

Cheers
Ram
marsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 14:33   #684
Senior - BHPian

I was just checking the website of Tata Punch, and there is no mention of the Traction Pro mode anywhere on the website, or in the new brochure. Can anyone confirm if this feature is still there, or has been discontinued from the vehicle?

I wish Tata launches their iCNG equipped Punch in AMT as well, with the Traction Pro mode. It will be a good vehicle for people like me who live in the hills and can use the Traction Pro mode for the rare situations when we get stuck in snow or drive through the slushy roads in rains.

If anyone has any concrete news, do update regarding the availability of Traction Pro mode in AMT still, and also any confirmed updates regarding iCNG model with AMT and Traction Pro in the near future.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2024, 10:15   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I was just checking the website of Tata Punch, and there is no mention of the Traction Pro mode anywhere on the website, or in the new brochure. Can anyone confirm if this feature is still there, or has been discontinued from the vehicle?
It seems they have removed it from the specs at least. Better confirm at dealership/Tata motors directly.

Tata Punch Review-screenshot-20240624-101215.png

Earlier it was available in Accomplished and Creative AMTs. (Pic from my older brochure)
Name:  Screenshot 20240624 101230.png
Views: 33
Size:  187.4 KB
ritesh_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 21:58   #686

Dear All

I own a Punch AMT Apr'22 make and this is the second time I am facing dead battery in a span of 1 week.

Last it happened on 19June when I was starting for office. Note that I had already dropped my son tk school in the morning with a round trip of about 8Kms. When I can back after an hour, the car refused to start.
Called the RSA and they came in about 2 hours and jump started the car.
Dropped it to the TASS and they kept the car for about 1.5 days and charged the battery. When I spoke to SA, he casually mentioned something about loose wires and that they may be loosing current (I seriously don't buy this). He also shared below SS.

Today again the car is suddenly dead after driving for about 15Kms, took it out twice. When I was starting for the third time after about an hour, it refused to start.
SA has asked me to jump start it in the morning tomm and come to the TASS.

I am looking for expert advice here as to how a 26 months old battery can go bad. Shall I ask the SA to look into other aspects (alternator, etc)?

I am currently at 11500 Kms and the weekly usage is school runs for 5 days and 1 or 2 days of office (25Kms round trip) and some weekend errands. The car has been judiciously serviced with correct intervals until now at the same TASS.

TIA

Tata Punch Review-screenshot_20240628_214414_whatsapp.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th June 2024 at 06:26. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
sumeet.089 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 01:32   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet.089 View Post
Today again the car is suddenly dead after driving for about 15Kms, took it out twice. When I was starting for the third time after about an hour, it refused to start.
SA has asked me to jump start it in the morning tomm and come to the TASS.
An update!

Jump started the car in the morning with the help of RSA and visited the TASS.

The SA straight away asked me to replace the Battery as his "experience" was that Battery is out of Warranty and will not work further. When I asked him to check the Battery at cell level, he declined saying they don't do this stuff (maybe weekend load)

Got an Exide Battery from outside (47Ah EFB) with 2+2 years warranty for 5K. Hopefully this one will serve me longer. Fingers crossed.

On a separate note, this being my first personal car, the experience with RSA has been very good. The first time, RSA arrived in under 2 hours, whereas this time, they came in less than 45 mins. Incidentally, it was the same guy both the times. I have got 6 months Basic RSA complimentary with my 3 years EW Plan. Thinking of purchasing a Premium RSA plan as the Basic one does not include Towing.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th June 2024 at 06:26. Reason: Quote spacing fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks