Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 22:56   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post
I don't think so. In reality, most of the NA engines offered in premium hatchbacks offer pretty much the same performance. Baleno has a huge advantage due to lesser kerb weight. The same engine in Punch/Altroz will not result in equivalent performance.

Agree that K12 engine is far more refined compared to TATA's 1.2 NA.

Attachment 2218695
Yes agree on the kerb weight. Its only the free revving nature and refinement of K12 that is better.
Old 13th October 2021, 23:00   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Just to clarify, Tata Motors only uses Fiat's Diesel engine for the Harrier and the Safari. The Nexon and Altroz have Tata's own 1.5L Revotorq diesel. The Tiago and Tigor in the BS4 era used to come with a diesel but that too was Tata's own creation. Post implementation of BS6, it has disappeared completely thanks to cost considerations.
Yes, I meant that they are still using engines from Fiat, though lesser in number now compared to before. Tata also uses Hyundai's auto gearbox for Harrier. So, why not. But, as others have pointed out, fuel efficiency is the reason for Tata to stick to 3 cylinders and K12 is not a 3 cylinder. I still feel that K12C may deliver similar fuel efficiency as Tata's 1.2 revotron.
Old 14th October 2021, 10:11   #138

I fail to understand one thing, why do so many digital-analog instrument clusters today have an analog speedometer but a 'digital' tachometer which is just a digital drawing of an analog one. Manufacturers would be better off giving an analog tachometer with a simple digital speed readout instead.
A big, clear digital speed readout will be appreciated by enthusiasts and the mass market alike, and again enthusiasts will agree with the fact that a digital RPM number on the screen is nowhere close
to the pleasure of seeing a needle move with the engine revs.
wr10forever is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 10:28   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
I fail to understand one thing, why do so many digital-analog instrument clusters today have an analog speedometer but a 'digital' tachometer which is just a digital drawing of an analog one.
Well not the case with the Punch (and Altroz etc) - but most of the other manufacturers are moving to an idea where the digital TFT part that shows the Tachometer - is actually dynamic. So the users can select multiple other information items to show in the same real estate. Not just the tachometer. Perhaps thats the reason. (Again - not applicable to the current Tata console - here the tacho stays tacho in the TFT region).

That said - I think you make a valid point about how it can be better overall. In fact - I was rather skeptical when Tata moved to the digital consoles in Tiago/Tigor/Nexon. But then - having seen it in person over the last year - I find it actually more useful than my analogue console. For starters - the clear bold speed indicator (like you mentioned) is always properly visible. Whereas, in my case - the steering wheel blocks the analogue dial significantly . Then - the console has quite a bit more information items including coolant temp gauge (missing in my analogue unit sadly), TPMS readouts and what not. So if the manufacturers manage to reach a good layout and information integration in the digital units - it will be great. Currently it seems all too haywire and just about fancy visuals rather than real utility.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:36   #140
BHPian

The Tata Punch has officially been awarded a five-star adult occupant safety rating by Global NCAP.

The Punch, which is yet to be launched in India, received a five-star rating for adult occupant safety and a four-star rating for child occupant protection, thanks to its safety features, which include anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brakeforce distribution and dual airbags as standard, even though its does not get electronic stability control (ESC), and manages with a proprietary piece of tech that Tata calls “brake sway control”.
This makes the Punch the third product from Tata to receive such a rating after the Nexon and the Altroz. Tata's other recent offering, the Tigor EV, received an overall four-star rating.
Global NCAP, which is a not-for-profit organisation registered in the UK, independently assesses safety levels in production cars. Its test parameters exceed the minimum crash test standards set by the United Nations. Its primary aim is to “support new car assessment programmes in emerging markets by offering technical support guidance and quality assurance”, says the organisation.
The Tata Punch, which the brand classifies as India's first subcompact SUV (and has the credentials to prove it) is going up against the likes of the Maruti Suzuki Ignis and the Mahindra KUV100.
The Ignis has only received a three-star safety rating, while the KUV100 has not been rated by any new car safety assessment programmes (NCAPS) except India's Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program where it received an overall five-star safety rating.
According to the Global NCAP website's news forum, the base variant of the Punch was put through the crash test. Fitted with two airbags, ABS brakes and ISOFIX anchorages— the latter is the international standard for attachment points for child safety seats in passenger cars.
The statement by GlobalNCAP also said the safety levels can be improved by equipping the model with ESC as standard, along with standard side impact protection systems. This is primarily to encourage brands like Tata to incorporate such safety systems as Global NCAP's standards are going to become more stringent in 2022. For cars to get similar results, they will have to have these features as standard.
For the moment, all variants of the Punch will not receive ESC, primarily to keep the ownership costs low. The Punch, scheduled for a launch on October 18, does not have a price tag yet.
The group also stated that “Tata's decision to install both child occupant's as rearward facing, demonstrates that this position offers the best safety option as both child dummies received good protection”.
David Ward, President of the Towards Zero Foundation, of which Global NCAP is a part, said “We are obviously delighted with Tata's safety result in this voluntary test. Global NCAP encourages manufacturers to participate in our programme on a voluntary basis to help create a market for safety. It is very satisfying to see leading manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra engage so positively with our #SaferCarsforIndia agenda.

Source :-

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...p-7582901.html

Last edited by Amazing : 14th October 2021 at 18:39.
Amazing is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 20:14   #141
BHPian

Kudos to TATA.

PUNCH definitelyey can take some PUNCH

Tata Punch Review-indiacarsafetyratingoct2021.jpg

Source : Rushlane.
Asish_VK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 20:48   #142
BHPian

Adding GNCAP crash test video:
pradeep_mvpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 02:21   #143
Senior - BHPian

I’m expecting Tata’s marketing team to mock the competition hilariously again like they’ve done with Altroz, now that Punch has taken the throne hands down
Old 15th October 2021, 02:30   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Kudos to TATA.

PUNCH definitelyey can take some PUNCH

Attachment 2219120

Source : Rushlane.
Ha! Now compare this “Top 10” with the sales “Top 10”. The market leaders are nowhere to be seen!!

Full credit to our desi boys for bringing the GNCAP star rating into living room talks at least. Maybe someday it will start reflecting in the buying decisions of the public at large too.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 05:20   #145
BHPian

This all but confirms that Harrier and Safari have not yet been tested, because they can't get a 5 star rating, and anything lower would look bad when there are three cheaper cars with 5 star rating in the same showroom.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 08:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Ha! Now compare this “Top 10” with the sales “Top 10”. The market leaders are nowhere to be seen!!

Full credit to our desi boys for bringing the GNCAP star rating into living room talks at least. Maybe someday it will start reflecting in the buying decisions of the public at large too.
Actually, safety is slowly but surely starting to reflect in sales figures too. Two out of three five-star* cars were in the top ten sellers last month, and all three were in the top twenty. Tata and Mahindra seem to be doing what no manufacturer in India has successfully (in my opinion) done before - create a market for safety. With the launch of the Punch I expect this penetration of five star* cars to increase further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I’m expecting Tata’s marketing team to mock the competition hilariously again like they’ve done with Altroz, now that Punch has taken the throne hands down
I'm not a big fan of cheeky advertising but it looks like it is much needed now. With safety beginning to become a strong selling point I wouldn't be surprised if other leading manufacturers start to realise that they won't be able to get away with what they're doing for too long. Sure, they won't have the first mover's advantage but it's still for the better. They still have an opportunity to bag the first five star child occupant protection rating, something no manufacturer has done before (though I have in mind some manufacturers who might). Tata is punching high. Renault is joining the tribe. Will Maruti Suzuki wake up and smell the espresso?

I'm expecting Tata's PR team to be on a roll, maybe now and also maybe soon when the next round of Global NCAP results is out, assuming a competitor scores poorly (hopefully, this won't happen).

*adult occupant protection
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:31   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra Thar has the highest child safety rating of all cars in the list, scoring 41.11 out of a possible 49 points! No, if only one could get a child into a child seat in the back without being a gymnast!
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:02   #148
BHPian

Took a test drive of Punch AMT, and it felt like a perfect urban commuter. Tried it on a couple of parking ramps and there was no roll back or clutch judder without using the handbrake. We were three people in the car with AC on. Also did try reversing on the same parking ramp and surprisingly the car didn't move forward when shifting from brake to accelerator. I know this will never be encountered but i find that in some situations in AMT equipped cars if we encounter a slope while reversing the throttle modulation isn't smooth, i.e either it's too less or too abrupt. But in Punch it was very smooth in transferring the power except for a hint of clutch engagement. This was after doing multiple attempts so should not be an issue in daily usage.
Other positives were a chilling AC even at 26 degrees and superb ride quality. The car didn't feel budget in the way it handled rumble strips and sharp speed breakers. Very European in it's ride and handling.
I didn't test it on a highway or at speeds as our primary requirement was a replacement for my brother's manual Celerio.
damodar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:06   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Tata uses the diesel engine from Fiat. And the petrol is their own. In my honest opinion, I feel Tata should start taking the petrol engines from Suzuki.

With EV revolution gaining momentum, it may not be a wise R&D investment to build a new engine.

Imagine the 1.2 K series engine in the Altroz and Punch. That would be a game-changer.
Actually petrol power plants are the weakest link in the entire Tata Motors story. Just wondering if the Ford deal goes through, would Tata get access to ford's 1.2 and 1.5 petrol engines and even the 2 litre diesel.
4by4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 05:23   #150
BHPian

Can anyone tell me when will the actual bookings begin? When can one expect there vehicle if Pre booked? What the procedure to give out the vehicles to different dealerships?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks