Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 20:18   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

W222 vs W223

A close family member in Delhi wanted me to revamp his garage. He had a decade old W221 S300 and an E250 that had run close to one lakh km. The S-Class had to be replaced with a S and E had to be replaced with an E as he was only chauffeured and preferred the MB badge to other Germans.

Went preowned for the E and saved the moolah to get him an S450 W223 and also added in a new Kia Carnival limo version for highway runs. Ultimate chauffeured garage if you ask me.

Why did I pick the S450 over the S350d for chauffeured usage?
Firstly, the car is already bloody expensive, starting at Rs. 1.56 crore for the S350d and Rs. 1.61 crore for the S450 4matic. Hence, the Rs. 5 lakh difference doesn’t pinch, but what it gets you is a petrol engine (petrol is a boon for Delhi with their RTO norms), 4-wheel drive to put the power down better and a new age engine which touches 100 km/h in 5 seconds (1.5 seconds faster than the diesel)!
Secondly and most importantly I will use the car every time I visit

Got allocation smoothly via T&T for one of the first few S450s. The new MBIL policy is pretty transparent and payments are made directly to them for the ex-showroom price. Dealers only charge you for the RTO tax amount. Highly recommend the dealership.

Akshay has covered the review beautifully with all details, so I will focus my opinions on the comparison with my W222. This comparison was to be done months ago, but thanks to GTO busting the tyre, I could not review the W223 alongside my w222

Exterior: I’m split between the two models! Front and rear profiles - I prefer the W222 for its regal and stately looks. However, the side profile of the W223 is just superb!
Although dimensions suggest otherwise, the W222 defiantly looks bigger.

Interior: The tech in the new model is way ahead not doubt! But, it no longer has the old world charm. Heck, it doesn’t even have trademark brown wood panel inserts. It’s piano black in most places and as we speak, the car is getting it’s ppf including the interior console as it’s so prone to scratches!

The brown interior offered in the new S is just superb and looks way better than the beige option which was the best pick in the W222.

Tech and interior colour aside, the W222 wins hands down in interior space. I was quite shocked and disappointed with the interior space of the new car. A friend, who has an E-Class sat in the rear and felt the legroom was even lesser than his E.

Another surprise was that the calf support is just on one side. But I guess that is fine for most. In the W222 you didn’t feel the need for the Maybach version as it had more than adequate space. With the W223 Mercedes is going to urge customers who can afford it to take the step up. Smart on their part, but as a customer, I am disappointed.

Drive: Not a far comparison as I have a diesel engine and the S450 is petrol. But overall the engine is noticeably smoother and quieter. Even from the outside due to the battery pack you cannot hear the engine at idle at all.

It did not feel briskly fast from the get go. However, I did not drive the car for long this time. I will post an update on this in the future.

Suspension: Does seem better as even with 19-inch tyres, the ride was super smooth. Speaking of tyres, I was surprised that they are now 255 mm wide! The W222 came with a staggered setup with 275s at the rear.
I hope the 4matic plays its magic to put the power down better for slimmer tyres.

Verdict: Would I upgrade from my W222 HAPPILY to the W223? It’s a firm NO.
In some ways the W223 is a major upgrade, especially the tech. But overall, it feels a size smaller and that’s a big downgrade for an owner like my father who spends 80% of his time in the back seat. This is the long wheelbase version. I really wonder what the legroom in the regular wheelbase abroad must be like!

Another issue is the price, which has gone up 50% in 6 years! The car just does not feel worth Rs. 1.8 crore on-road no matter how you look at it. If they kept the OTR price at Rs. 1.5 crore, I would still be OK with it having the flaws it does.

Continuing with the question above, would I SADLY upgrade to the new S? Maybe! You never know. Due to the lack of choices, we might have to. But for now, I would rather wait for the new 7-Series to launch and hopefully, they haven’t shrunk the interior value proportion to the customer!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class Review (W223)-6127c04b979546e2bfdad27afd371330.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2022 at 10:43. Reason: Typos
Sahil is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 09:58   #32
BHPian

Re: W222 vs W223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A close family member in Delhi wanted me to revamp their garage, they had a decade old w221 S300 and E250 that had run close to a lakh kms.
The S-class had to be replaced with a S as E had to be replaced with an E as they were only chauffeured and preferred the MB badge to other Germans.
Proper drool worthy garage! T-Bhp members would love it if you could review the other rides they have. I'm sure they have quite a collection.
meetbhav is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 15:32   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbhav View Post
Proper drool worthy garage! T-Bhp members would love it if you could review the other rides they have. I'm sure they have quite a collection.
The collection is most of what I just mentioned and revamped.
Kia carinval limo, S-class w223, facelift E200, prefacelift E220. All these have replaced the decade old mercs in the last 3 months. Ideally I had suggested to get a 6GT instead of the second E but they all love Mercedes too much to switch.

I’m hoping they don’t wait another decade to replace these
Sahil is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 22:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The collection is most of what I just mentioned and revamped.
Kia carinval limo, S-class w223, facelift E200, prefacelift E220. All these have replaced the decade old mercs in the last 3 months. Ideally I had suggested to get a 6GT instead of the second E but they all love Mercedes too much to switch.

I’m hoping they don’t wait another decade to replace these
The W223 is packed with a lot of driver oriented tech which I feel is really not required when most of these cars are chauffeur driven, the passenger oriented features are always at its best when it came to any generation of the S-Class. The overall heft and old world elegance that the W222 carried, the W223 simply lacks.
Cliff9091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 12:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
The overall heft and old world elegance that the W222 carried, the W223 simply lacks.
This is partly due to Tesla, Lucid and their likes claiming the luxury segment and proving how shift to tech is making a difference. Sure, that exposure is limited in India and also this elegant looks is a non-functional perspective. I hate the tail lights on this, and it's overall stance. Looks apart, The new S-class did not cut corners for passengers, and the experience is in fact much elevated than before. I might be biased as an owner but interior lighting, sharp displays, MBUX experience (Voice commands, tablet and touch screen), USB-C 100W charging for Laptops, HDMI inputs to watch Chromecast/project laptop on rear high quality display, noise-cancelling headphone, energizing comfort, Better Burmeister audio are only additional enhancements to older gen S-classes, and any passenger will take this over older S-class. S-class faces the brunt for not just being a flagship for Mercedes but also sets the precedent for several cars to follow (Genesis for sure). Seat heating/cooling, massage and supple ride quality has remained standard over the years. I would say most of the features in S class were previously ignored by Chauffeurs, and now technology has bridged the gap. A Tesla model S costs similar and is not a chauffeur driven car. So the dynamics of a car and consumer behavior is shifting. They focused on the drivers and tech with this release, and for good reasons. It was long overdue for a flagship status.

I for one would not have picked this, if it was not comfortable. Just the flagship branding would not have cut it for me. On the tech side, I can boast of it's all wheel steering, V8 with 500HP, 3D stereo display, HUD experience - Without these as well I would not have considered buying one.

Last edited by devsoftech : 15th May 2022 at 13:03. Reason: Grammar
devsoftech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Re: Mercedes S-Class Review (W223)

Automated valet parking with the S...
Old 31st August 2022, 12:00   #37
BHPian

Posting about a bad experience a friend who purchased a S-450 in March 2022 had. Unfortunately now the vehicle has been sent back to the workshop and my friend has refused to get the same picked up due to various issues right from the point of delivery. In terms of the issues faced I can summarise the issues as below :

1- Right from the point of delivery there was an alert regarding Bonnet open which was diagnosed as being a faulty sensor.

2- There was a sound from the rear suspension every time the vehicle goes over the smallest of bumps. It was diagnosed as an issue with the rear RHS airmatic strut and an issue with the boot lock.

3- The rear screen entertainment system was not functioning properly with a heavily flickering display.
Mercedes S-Class Review (W223)-vlcsnap2022090108h16m08s828.png
(screenshot from attached video)

4- My friend was left stranded on the highway when the car completely shut down in the middle of nowhere and this was within 3 months of delivery. This was diagnosed later as a faulty fuel pump.

5- The engine light malfunction light came on in the cluster which was removed after diagnostic by the dealership.

6-MBUX front screen display conked off. Now this controls all the functioning of the vehicle including the basic ones like an AC. So suddenly none of the functions in the vehicle were operable. The dealership did a software update but the issue was off and on persisting.
Mercedes S-Class Review (W223)-vlcsnap2022090108h15m56s192.png
(screenshot from attached video)

7- The horn stopped working.

8- The front door handle got stuck. The vehicle comes with popping out handles so one can imagine the situation when suddenly one of the handles refused to come out. No way to get in the car unless the door is opened from inside! Was diagnosed as an issue with the handle bearing bracket.

9- Air leakage from the rear tyres. Both rear tyres were approved to get replaced.

10- Active brake assist malfunction light glowing intermittently on the cluster.

11- Wiper juddering.

Now one can imagine the amount of time the cars been with him as opposed to the workshop since ofcourse most of the parts are never available off the shelf and all the issues do not happen at once. While some of the points were addressed inbetween two dealerships (also approached a different dealership since response at one wasn't upto the mark) some were work in progress when my friend finally realised that he's been given a 'lemon' and has now refused to take the car back. Anybody would get worried when one sees multiple malfunction lights popping up and basic functions compromised. One does not pay so much to loose one's peace of mind.

Bringing it out to the notice of fellow members as with crazy tech comes the chance and probability of crazy issues too which may even result in an untoward incident since everything is now managed and controlled by software and a glitch in the system can cause serious mishaps too. What remains to be seen is how Mercedes chooses to address his situation as he gave a fair amount of time to address issues which kept escalating after finally giving up.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VID-20220729-WA0006 merc 2.mp4.zip (4.32 MB, 84 views)
File Type: zip VID-20220729-WA0007 merc.mp4.zip (6.84 MB, 56 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st September 2022 at 09:59. Reason: Adding 2 pics :)
rugsrags is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 12:15   #38
BHPian

6-MBUX front screen display conked off. Now this controls all the functioning of the vehicle including the basic ones like an AC. So suddenly none of the functions in the vehicle were operable. The dealership did a software update but the issue was off and on persisting.
- There is an active recall for this. I have experienced this on my S580 during cold starts at morning. Engage reverse and the screen is black. Can't see anything on screen.

Wiper juddering - Typically covered under warranty.

Most of these issues are fixable, parts will be an issue. For my throttle body replacement on my GLE350, I had to wait for almost a month.

Active brake malfunction can also be due to dirty camera lens. Most likely it's not a mechanical issue. Faced the issue numerous times when bugs crash on to camera sensors.

I usually face a weird issue in tight parking spots where active brake assist disables itself at times as it feels it cannot work in those tight conditions. This could also be a vector for your friend's consideration.
devsoftech is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:32   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Posting about a bad experience a friend who purchased a S-450 in March 2022 had. Unfortunately now the vehicle has been sent back to the workshop and my friend has refused to get the same picked up due to various issues right from the point of delivery. In terms of the issues faced I can summarise the issues as below :
Very sorry to hear about your friend's experience, especially the breakdown, after spending 2 crore rupees! As we frequently suggest, best to buy a freshly launched German luxury car after 2 years or so. Cars like the S-Class are brimming with tech and are as advanced as rocket ships! The problems & niggles in the early build years can be nightmares not just for owners, but even for the dealerships who have no clue how to solve it.

I'd never buy a German car in its launch year. That was the primary reason my current German is from the 3rd year of production (that too, end of 3rd year).
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:43   #40
BHPian

It easy for car makers to use the screen to control everything. They might be saving some money getting rid of manual adjusters for AC, radio etc. These buttons and dials also send signals and now its all in one place on the screen.

Even if there is an issue with the display hardware/firmware or software wise, you will face a lot of issues. Hope they give options to buyers and charge more
PreludeSH is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 11:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post

11- Wiper juddering.
Wiper juddering seems to be an issue across models. In my GLC220d I have the same issue.

Sundram Motors Bangalore 1 set of blades under warranty, but the same problems persists even with the new set. First I thought it was a only in light rains - wiper cleaning the glass fully dry - but now I am experiencing this in heavy rains as well - both high speeds and low speeds.

Needs to get it checked

A good review Akshay and GTO

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 14:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very sorry to hear about your friend's experience, especially the breakdown, after spending 2 crore rupees! As we frequently suggest, best to buy a freshly launched German luxury car after 2 years or so. Cars like the S-Class are brimming with tech and are as advanced as rocket ships! The problems & niggles in the early build years can be nightmares not just for owners, but even for the dealerships who have no clue how to solve it.

I'd never buy a German car in its launch year. That was the primary reason my current German is from the 3rd year of production (that too, end of 3rd year).
Well ofcourse it holds true I think for all vehicles now and not necessarily Germans. The dealerships are all definitely completely clueless and the products are evolving way quicker for them to catch up to.

My friend picked up a Maybach along with the S450 and the Maybach has no issues whatsoever. So it does seem that there is some inherent issue with this particular vehicle. Its become so common now across most manufacturers that I feel its a gamble when one purchases a car on whether it'll be flawless or a problem riddled piece. I've personally had a horrendous experience with Toyota which i've documented too which has led me to the above conclusion.
rugsrags is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:28   #43
BHPian

His best bet would be to sell off this ‘Lemon’ while cars are still in short supply and he can get a decent price for it. Such problems will never go away.

The other option is to convince MB that this is a defective piece and needs to be replaced by them - it’s possible if he has the right connections.
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
The other option is to convince MB that this is a defective piece and needs to be replaced by them - it’s possible if he has the right connections.
If Mercedes doesn't replace the car, that is honestly a stupid corporate decision. Should happen regardless of inside connections. The guy bought a Maybach and an S-Class - does MB really want to send such a loyal and rich customer to BMW or Audi?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 00:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well this is just completely unacceptable for a brand new mercedes, and their flagship car at that! The car is clearly a lemon, I would say try to contact mercedes coorporate directly by sending them an email and request for a replacement of the whole car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks