Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:17   #1066

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilzu View Post
Congrats! Happy days on the road!! what color is yours ?
I booked Pearl White. I wanted to go with Red, but was overruled by my Home Minister
pranji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:44   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Not sure if we can trust what these dealers say.

After multiple follow ups, SA called to say that although a car has been alloted to me as per the list on 7th Dec, due to some customers complaining about getting a car in Dec 2021, all the cars in the showroom will now be received in January 2022 and registered in Jan 2022.

I found the logic very convoluted and said that in that case, I would need a 2022 manufactured car. I also mentioned that I will put all these details in a mail to MG today for everyone's record.

Immediately, he said that he will talk to his seniors and come back by evening. He asked me to not send any emails till then.

This is at MG JP Nagar Bangalore.
You are doing the right thing. I am surprised to see many posts in TBHP threads where dealers are fooling the unsuspecting customers that buying 2021 manufactured car and registering in 2022 will make the car 2022 model!
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:58   #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishankbhan View Post
Hi Guys,

Just got my MG Astor Turbo 220 Sharp(O) Glazed Red today. Amazing delivery experience from MG Noida. In love with the colour, looks better than I expected.

Attachment 2246442
Congratulations...Can you please share some details of your booking (When did you book / what was communicated by the dealership etc). I have also booked from the same dealer on day one of booking and since then have not received any update.
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:13   #1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranji View Post
I booked Pearl White. I wanted to go with Red, but was overruled by my Home Minister
I booked red . Did you book on the firstday (one of the 5000 Customers)?
tamilzu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:12   #1070
BHPian

So my SA called and confirmed that now I will get my Astor in January 2022 instead of December 2021 as shown in the app.

I have put it on mail that it will be a 2022 manufactured model as confirmed by SA.

Let's see if they keep their word.
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:27   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamilzu View Post
I booked red . Did you book on the firstday (one of the 5000 Customers)?
Yup, I believe the first 5000 customers are classified as Batch 1. That's what is mentioned against my booking in the app.
Old 24th December 2021, 15:56   #1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshjoshi00 View Post
Congratulations...Can you please share some details of your booking (When did you book / what was communicated by the dealership etc). I have also booked from the same dealer on day one of booking and since then have not received any update.
Hi Ashutosh, I unofficially booked the car on 7th October by paying an advance of 25K to the dealer. Officially the dealer booked on my behalf on the booking day. The dealership honestly never communicated the date, the MG app told me that I was batch 1 and gave a tentative month of delivery as November. Once the car reached the showroom, my SA called me and all formalities were done within a week. Due to my colour I had to wait probably. According to my SA, this is the first Red Astor they are delivering ( though I don't believe him).
dishankbhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:27   #1073

Quote:
According to my SA, this is the first Red Astor they are delivering ( though I don't believe him).
Hi.. This might be true as well. Have been following my Sales Advisor's whatsapp statuses in the last 1 month, here in Chennai.. The dealership has been delivering only White, Black and Aurora Silver cars.

The first set of Red variants have reached the dealership this week and the deliveries are planned this week (including mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings2306 View Post
Dear All,

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and inputs. In continuation to my previous post, am still confused and not able to make any decision yet.

I have booked Astor CVT Sharp (O) (Glaze Red with Sangria Red interiors) variant on Oct 21st.
Happy to share with you all that my RED beauty has reached the dealership. Completed the invoice formalities and Registration is planned on Wednesday. Will update after getting the car delivered. Have finalized only "functional accessories". Avoiding the glittery chrome ones.

Thinking about going for a ceramic coating/paint protection film. Have few queries:

1. Which is more reliable?
2. Which is better when it comes to protecting the car from minor scratches?
3. Which is better when it comes to enhancing the car's look?

Dealer has quoted Rs.30000/- for ceramic coating with 2 years warranty. Am yet to talk to vendors who can do PPF. Any inputs will be really helpful. Thanks in advance!!
Old 28th December 2021, 15:47   #1074

Congrats in advance on getting the Glaze Red. I personally decided to go ahead with PPF. Yes it hurt my wallet but my main criteria was to protect my car from minor scratches. Its basically a tradeoff between protection vs shine. I decided to go with PPF( 210 microns , TPU quality) for 60k 5 years warranty. Ceramic will definitely give you more shine than PPF.
dishankbhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 17:45   #1075

Quote:
Congrats in advance on getting the Glaze Red. I personally decided to go ahead with PPF. Yes it hurt my wallet but my main criteria was to protect my car from minor scratches. Its basically a tradeoff between protection vs shine. I decided to go with PPF( 210 microns , TPU quality) for 60k 5 years warranty. Ceramic will definitely give you more shine than PPF.
Great.. Spoke to few vendors but it is not inspiring confidence to go for PPF's.. Can somebody refer any good vendor for PPF??
Old 28th December 2021, 23:25   #1076
BHPian

Finally an update to the Astor booking saga. As per the MyMG app, I was supposed to get the car delivered in December and yet the dealer had no clue regarding the delivery date. After numerous follow ups and escalation of the matter to MG's customer support and after posting some stink on their social media platforms, I received a query from the dealership on whether I would be interested in swapping colours to the Glaze Red. I readily agreed and now the car will likely get delivered before Jan 10,2022. Some positive news finally after I had almost decided on cancelling my booking!
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-1.jpeg  

riturajsharma19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 09:22   #1077

Hi All,

I got my car delivered yesterday. Will make a detailed post on my experience and first impressions.

Quick question to the owners - Under ADAS Forward Collision Warning I wanted to switch of Emergency Braking and only enable Warning. But after I switch it to Warning Only, it switches back to Emergency Braking. Has anyone else faced this?
Old 30th December 2021, 12:49   #1078
BHPian

Now since many Astors are on road, what is the real life average of turbo petrol.
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 13:05   #1079

MG Astor Initial Impressions

Hi members,

Long time lurker here, this is my first post. I took delivery of my Astor, Turbo 6 AT, Candy White on auspicious day of Dhanteras (Nov 2). I think I'm in a good position to provide initial impressions of car, considering I have done ~2600 kms in just under 2 months. And please consider this review from someone who's not very technical (despite having UG branch as automotive ) but loves driving the cars

First & foremost, this is my first owned car, third overall in family after Alto & Baleno. And boy, do I love the Baleno. Great city vehicle, all the necessary functionalities, specially good initial pickup, great mileage, Android Auto and good seat comfort. It was a comfortable car for our family of 4.

I was looking to buy a car for a while now with following requirements and budget of ~20L and why Astor was the choice -

1. Should be safe. This car had scored good in both Australian & Asean NCAP (top model of MG ZST in these markets retails around same price as 17-18L INR). This was a calculative assumption I took of taking this car's safety proxy as these scores as car built also felt good in showroom visit. Also same chassis is used for EV, and considering people pay around 25L for that, it is highly unlikely that MG has reduced quality for Indian version. It's a shame that no NCAP scores are available for Indian retails apart from XUV 700 (looking at you too Hector, Safari, Harrier)
2. Should be comfortable for 4 over long trips as well. Now I'm 5'5 myself and my parents are shorter than me. Biggest member in family is my brother around 6 and he can sit in front. Rest assured when I drive, there is ample leg space for anyone behind my seat . Every car passed this test
4. Should feel fast and easy even in city traffic. One reason of not going for Harrier, Hector, XUV or Safari was this, the drivability and this was the decision that gave me many sleepness nights. It won't be a stretch to say that closest bigger segments with their back seat comfort/overall space and those immersive speakers (man I love that immersion) gave me many sleepness nights. But driving Baleno over various city conditions and its adaptiveness in city conditions tipped the scales for this requirement to become as is
5. AT, initially I wasn't too inclined, took some test drives & felt how much more this will provide comfort over long trips. Yeah, this one was a very easy requirement that I didn't have initially
6. Should feel premium with low NVH levels. And Astor absolutely blows the competition in this regard

Astor was the only car that made the cut. Now onto the goods and the not-so-goods.

WHAT I LOVE

1. The suspension, oh how perfectly MG has tuned the suspension. If you're cruising on a highway and a bump appears suddenly, its not a concern. Brakes work smoothly to reduce speed and it can easily glide over the undulations perfectly upto speed of 40 km/h. Its not so soft so as to take corners around comfortably good speed, feels stable and planted. Like main review mentioned, it slots in right between Korean & German twins. I have been to kaccha roads of Sariska tiger reserve and suspension feels right at home cruising around 20-30 kph
2. The premiumness of interiors, this definitely matches the luxury of cars a segment or two beyond. I have a smile everytime I step into car
3. The looks, love how this feels more European than German twins. It doesn't try to be boxy, its a crossover and in many European markets, it actually will be categorised as hatchback (so will be others)
4. Tech features like blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning and 360 camera prove very useful in certain conditions such as lane change to & fro from a service lane to a speedway or in tight traffic to view left/front side space with a close side/front vehicle. Also, all ADAS features work over a certain speed limit, so one needn't worry about car just not moving at low-speed high-density traffic
5. One small thing I like, sound automatically gets lowered, while reversing. Also, camera switches to front/rear, depending on D/R gear while you're parking, useful in tight conditions. Very cool
6. Autohold, I switch it on while in standing traffic. I find it easier to press that button than flick up-down e-parking brake
7. Physical buttons, god sent. I don't have to take eyes of the road to fiddle with screen for basic functions. Very tactile and solid, closest match I'll say is volume control button found on Samsung Smart TV remote

WHAT I MAKE DO WITH

Why not hate ? Well, let's say I have put in a lot of money, so I feel hate will be a strong word, so let's begin -

1. Mileage in city traffic, it is around 8-12 kmpl and is on lower end if you want to feel that short bursts of acceleration in that patience-testing city traffic [Highway Mileage is good if acceleration-deacceleration curve is smooth (around 14-16 kmpl). Also, I think mileage shown in MID is maybe 1-2 kmpl higher than actuals]
2. Speaker system, while it is decent, its not Harrier or Hector like. I miss that deep bass
3. Missing out on ventilated seats, auto dimming IRVM (come on, Baleno has that). And coming in Astor 2022 (according to a Motor Octane article) ? I see a trend, this happened for MG Hector as well. Justifying price jumps in 2022, I guess ? Wireless AA and charging is also not there
4. Some tech features need improvement. Let's talk about Adaptive cruise control, the major one. It feels like a robot or a new child learning to accelerate. While auto braking is smooth, acceleration is very fast to reach set speed. No doubt feature is very cool, but wish the acceleration was bit smoother, not like someone hard pressing accelerator to floor. Also, need to mention this that cruise control was hardly a priority while purchasing, I just feel driving becomes monotonous after using it. Secondly, speed assist has to be turned on everytime I turn on the car, very irritating. And I think it's a hit & miss, couldn't read certain signs on highways. Lane Assist, works perfectly, I have switched it off, because the bongs due to this, feel like constant nagging I can't take
5. I think beam control function is not that great. It auto switches between side lights and dipped main beam, not dipped main beam and high main beam (correct me if I'm wrong ?). The latter would have been preferred (maybe something that can be changed with an ECU/software update ?)

ISSUES THAT NEED RESOLUTION

1. When sunblind is open, it constantly rattles on bad roads with frequent undulations. Not something one can observe easily on city rides. I'm yet to notify MG, just observed this one on Sariska reserve few days back.
2. At low speeds (around 5-10 kmph), sometimes on very light acceleration, I hear a sound, feels like coming from under the backseat. Feels like a screech or a grind. I'm not able to identify a pattern or recreate it consistently. Its very random, happens maybe 2-5 times on a 200 km run. Nothing feels wrong, but sound is very concerning. Notified MG on this one. Any help or suggestion on this one ?
3. When only one back door is opened, MID shows that both back doors are open. Confirmed with another Astor owner as well. Notified MG

Do I regret my decision ? Well, let's say I'm a proud owner. Many cons I already knew before, so decision to purchase this one was not so difficult. Second doubts about new launch ? Yes, but they were eased by knowledge of this car's presence in Thailand, Phillippines, Vietnam & Australian markets. How was the delivery experience ? Took delivery on the special Dhanteras launch from Gurgaon. I dealt with MG Noida for purchase and they did a good job of handling the purchase. I was adamant on not taking all of essential kit, just took the mud flaps. Got grass like carpeting from outside & car-cover from coverwell (Thanks TeamBHP). Issue resolution ? I'll comment back in 1-2 months, positive or negative based on MG's handling

Lastly, I'm planning to do ceramic coating to retain that gloss of white. Detailer near me is coating 25K for 2 coats of HYDRAX 9H graphene compound with 5 years warranty (3 additional coats every year + recoat on gloss loss) and 20K for 4 years of 9H only. Skill is not an issue, I have seen many high-end cars coming to the shop. Will love to hear from BHPians on the same.

When the beauty arrived
MG Astor Review-inshot_20211109_003244386.jpg

Prowling in Sariska Tiger Reserve
MG Astor Review-20211228_120303.jpg
vinay2612 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 17:38   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2612 View Post

MG Astor Initial Impressions

Congratulations, and may you have a lot of fuss free years with your new ride. And thanks for your mileage review

Can you comment on the ground clearance in comparison with the baleno you also have?
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed