Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 20:26   #556
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Good stuff. As a brand strategist, I’m pretty happy they didn’t discount it but instead decided to offer more features at a comparable price. It’s a well-finished product at a reasonable price. And the awful Kushaq rollout works great for them.

But I have to say that Style variant is absolutely stinking great value for the price! This is no cut-price, entry-level, toe-in-the-door model. Hill hold, hill descent, that power steering with 3 modes, height adjustable driver seat, tilt adjustable steering, traction control… Man, that’s a great spec for sub 12L on road in Bangalore.

As a Hector Plus owner, I’m also (so far) very very happy with MG’s ASS. And I think that, as that rep grows, it will certainly be factored into the VFM equation.

Last edited by RT13 : 11th October 2021 at 20:33.
RT13 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:30   #557
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My son has just booked the 1.3 turbo Sharp variant. The dealer didn't ask for my booking deposit - this will start from October 21. For now the dealers have started taking bookings to enter them into their system. The delivery would start from November.

We will spend some time with the car this week and take the call accordingly.
Col Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 20:49   #558
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Watched few reviews on YouTube just to get different perspective about Astor. Most of the reviewers spent a lot of time on the exteriors, interiors and the ADAS features. Would have been
Looks like MG has done a good job on the Ride and Handling along with a 1.3L turbo motor which while not being the fastest out there will certainly not leave the drivers disappointment.

Were there any 1.5L variants also available for test drive?
Exactly.. almost everyone is talking about the 1.3L turbo in the reviews and features are more in focus rather than the driving dynamics. I am looking for a CSUV that is fun to drive and under 15L. Diesel option is off the table due to DPF issues and although the Kushaq seems to be good option, the EPC issues are really frightening for someone living in a small town where nearest service centre 120km away. If anyone has driven the 1.5 NA MT variant of Astor, please share your experiences about the driving manners of the car.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:02   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Sedans don't sell anymore and have to be priced very competitive against the crossover segment. In fact, the sedans are competing against turbo variants of sub-4m SUVs in pricing now!
By this logic alll the more reason to consider sedans as sedans are more vfm against these tall seated hatchbacks!
In choosing Honda City price was a minor matter to me but the way members are discussing pricing in this thread it seems that even a few Ks will be sufficient to influence their decision to change their choice of a car!
I am surprised that that cars are treated like commodities and pricing will be such a major influence on car choice.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:14   #560
BHPian

The features and pricing of the Astor have definitely got me thinking! This is likely to draw customers who are looking at other CSUVs and Crossovers.

Looks like MG has another winner in its hands. What remains to be seen is how the 1.5 NA CVT and the 1.4 Turbo AT drive.
Old 11th October 2021, 21:15   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Damn that base variant is priced to kill!
Agree! That is most VFM variant!

Quote:
The 220 AT engine might not be the best in the segment, but skip the panoramic sunroof, powered seats, 360 camera etc (none of the which the Germans also get) and you end up with a larger car, with 25hp and ~350cc more, with slightly more features and quality for a lesser price than the top-end 1.0 TSi Germans, with the Smart variant. Enthusiasts will miss the 6 airbags instead of four though - but then again the enthusiasts were not the primary targets for the 1.0 variants.
It is not all that black & white according to me! Yes, Astor has a long list of features, but then Taigun also have a couple which may be of value to the end user:
- If you choose Taigun 1.0 Topline AT, one gets Paddle Shifter, Curtain Airbags, Auto-dimming IRVM, Rain-sensing vipers, Cooled Glovebox, Ventilated Front Seats, Telescopic Steering adjustment etc.
- If you choose Astor Smart, one gets high quality interiors, Hill Descent Control, Digital Key, TPMS, PM Filter, All 4 Disc Brakes, Electric Parking Brake, Heated ORVM, Multiple steering mode etc.

So, it is upto the buyers to decide on what among these are more important to them.
TheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 21:20   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Damn that base variant is priced to kill! Comparing feature-set, the entry level Astor is priced a good 3 lakhs ex-showroom cheaper than the Germans.
Completely agree, the base variant at 9.78 L seems really good.

I just went through the pre-booking flow, and it appears the color options are limited for the lower variants. For example the MT Style has only White and Silver as options. Super gets Black in addition to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1
The difference between the style and super otr is ~2L.

Am I really paying 2 lakhs for reverse parking and 17" Alloy upgrades.
I could get them done after market for half the price and just as good or better quality.
Yep, I didn't understand this one either. The ex-showroom price difference is 1.5 L, and the only major differences are the 17" alloy and reverse parking camera. And the option to get the Starry Black color. But that's definitely not worth ~2L OTR premium.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th October 2021 at 07:26. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 11th October 2021, 21:57   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post

Yep, I didn't understand this one either. The ex-showroom price difference is 1.5 L, and the only major differences are the 17" alloy and reverse parking camera. And the option to get the Starry Black color. But that's definitely not worth ~2L OTR premium.
You also get roof rails, LED tail lamps and front fog Lamps with cornering assist.

Refer latest brochure.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:14   #564

Price does matter - no matter how wonderful your product or service is, if well equipped variants are out of reasonable budget, there's nothing you can do about it. MG not declaring ADAS pack pricing during launch intentionally so as not to make Astor look most expensive in the segment, where as all of their pre launch buildup was about ADAS and AI being segment first at so called affordable cost.
fnftech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:53   #565
BHPian

Pricing of Astor is Mixed bag but their is something for all
Style 1.5 NA Petrol is absolute Value for money undoubtedly. Compare it to Kia Sonet HTK plus iMT or equivalent variant and this is bang for buck. I am sure this variant alone which is not bare bone may eat a quite a few mid variant Sonet/ Magnite / Nexon sales.

There are people who don't want an Automatic maybe 60% ppl in under 20 lac car segment still don't buy 1. Y-o-Y this % is decreasing but still long way to go

There are people who will love and enjoy Tata punch 0-100 timings and overtaking doesn't matter to them. Meaning they will be very very happy with 1.5NA performance figures.
PS - I am not comparing it to Punch, that's another segment altogether

And this will be the model which will get the max. Price increase for sure.

Missed oppurtunity
1) 1.3 Turbo petrol Manual. Atleast they should given 2 variants to choose from.
2) Panoramic Sunroof which is by far the biggest in the segment could have been given in smart variant also for 1.3 Turbo variant. Right now the difference is 2 lacs between 1.5NA vs 1.3 Turbo for ppl wanting Sunroof and 1.3
Old 11th October 2021, 23:55   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Pune has only 1 dealer - BUB MG at Wakad on Pune-Mbai highway
Have they started test drives of the 1.5 NA petrol variants?
Old 12th October 2021, 06:58   #567
BHPian

I was so happy the base model was so loaded but then comes the news that savvy red isn't available for the base model. This is so unfair.
I get the interior sangria red is a premium feature but body colour should be an option for base models too.
Arun1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:52   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Boyy View Post
Have they started test drives of the 1.5 NA petrol variants?
They had only 1.3T for TD till last week at least
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:01   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun1 View Post
I was so happy the base model was so loaded but then comes the news that savvy red isn't available for the base model. This is so unfair.
I get the interior sangria red is a premium feature but body colour should be an option for base models too.
There was no way that the interior package was going to be available from the base model. If MG did that there would one less premium item to distinguish the top end model from the base one.

You can always go ahead and get the seats redone from any reputed shops in your place.

After Magnite I think this is one of the few base variant that has impressed me with its specs. The fact that they gave it a rear wiper and washer in itself is amazing.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:13   #570
Team-BHP Support

The base variant, for that money, is a steal! It's kitted close enough to mid variants of some rivals, and the sub-10 lac tax benefits make it a sweeter deal down south.

Top variants are expensive, but you do get a lot of kit and overall quality for your money, and the expensive pricing is a reflection on the entire segment, to be honest.

Cretas selling for 20+L don't make much sense either on paper, but have plenty of takers. Value is very, very subjective, and an extra lac or so isn't as much a deal breaker in that segment as the ones below.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2021 at 09:19. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks