Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 10:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Excellent review, rated it 5-star right away! I'd like to make a small correction though. The auto-dimming IRVM is available in the top-most variant, N8. Unfortunately, the same feature is missing from all the regular i20 variants.

I think this car would've looked better without the chrome garnish on the boot. Also, the red stripes on the side skirts look a bit overdone. Didn't need that red-sporty element when front brake calipers are already given the same treatment. Also, the part under the rear spoiler, that's fixed with the rear windshield, should've been given the glossy black touch instead of leaving it body-colored.

Lastly, I don't understand Hyundai's obsession to provide the rear-wiper and adjustable rear-headrests, exclusively, to the top-most variants on all their sub-4m cars. They provided sunroof in the lower N6 variant but not these two vital features!

Can anyone tell me if the front armrests get fabric or leatherette padding? The regular variants get nothing.
romil.shroff is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 11:09   #17
BHPian

Quoting from the cons section of the review

• Offering an iMT and not a proper MT on the i20 N Line is ridiculous!
• 1.0L DCT variant shows initial lag. Even otherwise, it’s not as explosive as VW’s 1.0 Turbo
• More of a warmed-up hatchback in terms of power & handling, rather than a “hot hatch” like an Abarth Punto

I believe this sums up who the car is intended for. Not for serious performance enthusiasts, but for people who have room for a second car and don't want something 'run-of-the-mill'. In other words, a car capable of performance, but will rarely be driven that way.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 11:22   #18
BHPian

I believe the IMT was a good choice. For someone like me who likes to use a manual but don't like to use the clutch and don't want to pay a bomb of a difference for an auto and also take in the associated headaches dealing with complex technologies(DCT) , the IMT is a great choice.

Except for the slight lag during shifts , the think the IMT's are up there in convenience.

Is it a such a big downer when compared to an actual manual that its completely unusable?
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Great review! I really really wish there were more sporty colours on offer! Specially that baby blue and orange/pastel yellow and brighter red!
tunedv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:11   #20
BHPian

Nice review,

My question is, is it really worth buying this over other Variants or hatchbacks only for its cosmetic tinge? I wonder what the safety rating on I20s are, I'm guessing it won't even come close to that of Polo's and Alturoz's.

I can only see this going into the stables of people who were already considering an I20 or something only from Hyundai from the beginning, and are excited to spend more for those cosmetic upgrades(even if the premium is worth those upgrades I wouldn't consider i20 for that on-road price).

This is like another of those lame trends - 'Hatchbacks on steroids - Compact SUVs rather than having proper SUVs'. This is like a wannabe Hot hatch with manufacturer provided aftermarket upgrades. Nothing bad but nothing good or better either. Personally, for me its a sacrilege from Hyundai's side to include that N badge and not have any major performance upgrades. One can't accept an M or an AMG with just a badge, upgraded alloys and some cosmetic changes. Hyundai could do better rather than spoiling their own performance line with these gimmicks.
Mahven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:26   #21
BHPian

Sorry but couldn't stop myself from below analysis.

Polo/Abarth - Hrithik Roshan( Good looks, good performance, have aged well)

I20 nline - Tiger Shroff( Good looks, average performance, trying to be like Hrithik)

No doubt the N line looks stunning, but doesn't deserve the tag of hot hatch.

Last edited by RD150 : 9th September 2021 at 14:28.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

So, the N-Line is a man imposter / a follower of the true N family cars in Hyundai’s stable

But, a neat attempt at that. Hyundai wants their customers to have fun while use their cars to ferry their family around as well! Two birds with one stone! Hyundai is known for that by now. They’re pretty balanced in their approach.
Old 9th September 2021, 14:56   #23
BHPian

I just wanted to post about two things:

The Price:
I think the pricing of the N6 variant has been done just right. It is not too far away from the non-N-Line variant and the features you get for that extra money are actually good. I would take the full set of disc brakes over the projector lamps and a few other gimmicks, if I'm going to use this as a city runabout - which might be how this car ends up. The N6 N-line actually seems like the tastier option as compared to the non-N-line Asta.

The iMT:
Everyone and their grandmother has said this before - that this car really needs a true MT. I'd test-driven the CRDi MT earlier this year and I can attest to how smooth an MT on the new i20 can be. But then again, look at it from the perspective of being used strictly as a city runabout and the gearbox seems kind of practical. Mechanically this iMT gearbox might last longer with lesser wear-and-tear, though we need to wait for a few more years to see the long-term reliability reports. I say this because I've seen many of my friends and even myself on occasion, abuse an MT gearbox in ways it was not designed to be.

Other than that, it is truly a head-turner. And most importantly, Hyundai might have managed to pull the trick of redefining what a premium hatchback should look like or cost. They have been knocking on that upper ceiling for years.
Old 9th September 2021, 15:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review and seems to be fantastic launch by Hyundai into the semi hot hatch space. The prices shocked me though. Have not been following the premium hatch segment too closely and while the i20 has always been an expensive car, quite shocked to see where it has reached now. The top end N Line DCT will be close to 15L in a city like Bangalore. Wow.
Old 9th September 2021, 15:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahven View Post
Personally, for me its a sacrilege from Hyundai's side to include that N badge and not have any major performance upgrades. One can't accept an M or an AMG with just a badge, upgraded alloys and some cosmetic changes. Hyundai could do better rather than spoiling their own performance line with these gimmicks.
I wouldn't say that Hyundai has spoiled their performance line in India, because they never had one here. Nor are they exactly viewed as performance car makers in India, thanks to the storied success of mass market cars like Santro, i10, etc. This is probably their attempt to position themselves differently in the eyes of many Indian car owners.
Old 9th September 2021, 16:43   #26

Now that Ford is out of the picture, I am thinking of test driving the i20 N and possibly buying one
Old 9th September 2021, 18:32   #27
BHPian

Comprehensive review as usual. While I don't usually associate a brand like Hyundai with a performance oriented hot hatch, it would be wise to say that they have done a decent job.
It surely would be a hot hatch for everyday use as it would be more practical and gives you that oomph for that weekend drives.
Not sure about the reliability of the DCT as well as the iMT transmissions though.
An MT would have been an icing on the cake.
A comparison with the segment benchmark(Polo GT TSI) is needed, even though its ageing, it's very much relevant.

By the way those piano black fenders(used liberally) on the front and rear bumpers are prone to scratches and won't stand the everyday grind IMO.
Old 9th September 2021, 19:43   #28
BHPian

Have been waiting on this thread for the longest time!

While I am not particularly a Hyundai fan, there is no denying that they have ticked most of the boxes (if not all) with this car. After the initial launch of the Polo GT back in 2013, this is the only hatchback that has really excited me.

Great to see that more car manufacturers are paying heed to the changing demographics and demands. This particular car suits the 'N Line'/sportier iteration and the design doesn't feel like an afterthought as the case with some 'sportier' iterations of cars in the same segment.

More power to Hyundai!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 21:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

Based on most of the reviews Polo is still more fun to drive from engine, handling and high speed stability perspective. So for someone looking mainly for performance Polo will be a better choice and will save couple of lakhs which can be used for mods. And Polo mod options are unlimited.

However as a complete package considering the features this will appeal more to public, if they are looking to stand out from regular i20’s. Anyway kudos to the effort of Hyundai here and hope more manufacturers will come up with their performance line.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:23   #30
Team-BHP Support

Let me add my 2 won to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Hyundai i20 N Line Review

fruity exhaust note

Fruity but a little muted due to the ARAI folks. Oh, the MD of Hyundai was in that car. We forced them to hold on in order to record the exhaust note.

Quote:
• You absolutely need a tyre upgrade. The OEM rubber gives up easily
The i20 N Line is fairly frisky at normal speeds. At higher speeds, the tyre noise is a bit wearing. A high speed lane change due to a broken down truck saw the rear step out.

Quote:
The fun-to-drive hot hatch, though, has remained elusive.
It's a warm hatch and a great effort. It errs on the side of caution as the Indian motoring enthusiast are rare beasts!

Quote:
Contrasting black skirts all-round, with integrated red streaks, wrap around the bottom half of the car.
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-mandrillalphamalewalking820x619.jpg

I did have this on my mind when I saw this but it grows on you. I quite like the i20 N-line in white.

Quote:
Creases, cuts, winglets and faux vents only serve to collect dust and grime. It needn't have been this cluttered:
This is what we meant after a quick 20 min drive

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-dsc_0677.jpg Hyundai i20 N Line Review-dsc_0678.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
On the downside, the 1.0 TGDI doesn't have the same sort of tuneability as the 1.0 TSI. Not to forget, the modification scene for the Polo is far ahead in India as compared to the i20 with tonnes of retrofits and performance upgrades up for grabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Based on most of the reviews Polo is still more fun to drive from engine, handling and high speed stability perspective. .
As mentioned earlier, high speed dynamics need more work to come together. Brakes are good but need more feel. The dampers are stiffer but the springs are still standard. This causes a bit of lean in corners and the front end dips under hard braking which upsets the rear.

At a dealer level, Hyundai should offer stiffer springs, harder pads and maybe a mild remap for the enthusiasts. Ford do this with the Fiesta in the UK with the Mountune package.

Agreed Hyundai do not wish to upset the normal consumer. As a start, the i20 N line is a worthy package and credit to Hyundai for dipping its toes in the water.

Now, Hyundai, run across the road from the factory, tighten up the cars, and join VW with an N-Line racing series!

Last edited by ajmat : 10th September 2021 at 13:50.
ajmat is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks