Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2024, 09:42   #10441
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
It is unfortunate you have to go through this ordeal. Hope it is just a software glitch.

By any chance, could it be caused by rodent chewing wires ? Did you check under the hood ? Or may be a weak battery ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
I have a 2022 D AX7L AWD, done 21k km so far.
I face the same issue. The Auto TC transmission upshifts very late from 2nd to 3rd gear and thus creates an embarrassingly (I really feel the embarrassment) hIgh NVH in the cabin, while in 2nd gear. It also reduces FE. I had brought out this issue earlier too, when I had completed 500km , wherein other bhpians had mentioned that Mahindra chooses better throttle response over FE and harshness, and thus the high NVH inside the cabin.
I don't really agree coz, I also owned XUV 500 and the Alturas earlier, and never came across such noise levels in the 2nd gear.

So much so, that my kid who just learnt driving 2 months ago, also observed the higher RPM in 2nd gear, compared to a manual Wagon R (where the driver is expected to upshift when the engine turns so noisy in 2nd gear).
Living with it.
Could this not be an issue of the fuel type as well? I have switched to green diesel of Indian Oil and i find the drive to be smoother...Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or maybe i am on a one off?

Last edited by originalamit : 24th July 2024 at 10:09.
originalamit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 09:45   #10442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Whats your definition of "Almost New"? Is it because of 20K kms or has the car appeared dent free? If its the latter, its because the paint touchups must have happened.

Unless you know the service head personally OR the dealership is offering 3 years unlimited warranty, its better to walk away from demo cars as they are often the most abused.

My suggestion is to not go with the demo vehicles as TD vehicles would be badly used. I found the TD vehicles to have high vibrations and i almost did not buy the XUV700 till i test drove a new vehicle of a friend.
Old 24th July 2024, 11:50   #10443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
Could this not be an issue of the fuel type as well? I have switched to green diesel of Indian Oil and i find the drive to be smoother...Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or maybe i am on a one off?
Subject: High NVH between 2nd and 3rd gear in AX models.

Hey Amit,
Thanks for bringing that up. I too used green diesel for about 5000 km continuously. While I did find a marginal reduction In NVH in all gears, the basic issue of late upshifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, doesn't change coz it's an electronic command to the Torque Converter gear box. The same noise and harshness is audible in Zip, Zap and Zoom modes. I've done 25,000 km now and have "adapted" my ears to the high NVH now
Old 24th July 2024, 12:02   #10444
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
My suggestion is to not go with the demo vehicles as TD vehicles would be badly used. I found the TD vehicles to have high vibrations and i almost did not buy the XUV700 till i test drove a new vehicle of a friend.
XUV700 test drive cars would have been abused a lot, by people taking the test drives as well as sales people/drivers who shuttle the car between the dealership locations within the city.
When I took test drive of XUV700 from 2 different dealerships, both the cars were showing low tyre pressure, service reminder was coming consistently and one of the person in the test drive car told me that the car would go for servicing when people keep complaining about something during the test drives.
The interiors of test drive car isn’t maintained well. The test drive car felt very old and didn’t give me a feeling of sitting in 25 lakh car. However, when I sat inside new XUV700 which came to replace their display vehicle, the interiors felt nicer and plush
Old 24th July 2024, 14:02   #10445

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightDrive20 View Post
After 20 months and 23K KMs of hassle free ownership of my AX7L petrol, it was today when it seems I have finally ran out of luck.

Imagine this scenario when you casually get into your car parked in the neighbourhood market’s parking slot to go back home. You put the car in R, use the rear camera in the screen to reverse as carplay connects and music starts to play. While thinking about your plans for the evening ahead ,you reverse the car and put it in the ‘D’ mode . Now as soon as the car starts moving forward, you realise something is absolutely off !! The steering feels very heavy and the car seems off balance as if a tyre has gone flat.

As you are shaken back to your senses, you realise all indicators/lights on the instrument panel are ON !! The parking break sign, the engine sign, the EPB off sign and various other such signs ( see image).

Bewildered, you pull the car on the side and once it is stationary, put it in the ‘P’ mode. Then comes the biggest shocker - while the stick is slotted to ‘P’, the parking break is not engaging. And since the parking break is not engaging, the car is NOT turning off even if you press the start/stop button.

So here you are - all indicators on the panel are flashing, you are manually keeping the car stationary by pressing the break paddle as parking break is not engaging, and the car engine is running since it refuses to turn off !!

Thankfully the AC was still operating as being in this situation I realised i had started to sweat due to stress. In an attempt to turn the engine off , I tried several times engaging and disengaging P mode by moving the gear stick to R/N/D and back to P. While the car was moving forward/backward aligned to D/R, It was the same result for P i.e. the Parking break wasn’t engaging without which the Start/Stop button was simply unresponsive.

After a point, i just left the gear stick in P mode, kept the break paddle pressed as parking break was still not engaging and started exploring my phone book for Mahindra service support . While doing this, I kept fiddling with the Start/Stop button. I think i long pressed it ( i am not sure) but the car engine finally stopped.

Knowing from numerous examples here that a ‘hard restart’ fixes most of things for an XUV, I was keen to start the car again with a hope that things would reset and the car would be fine. I started the car with great hope and noticed all indicators on the instrument panel were gone EXCEPT the Engine sign !!
I turned the engine off and on a couple of times but the Engine sign remained. My place was hardly a KM away, i drove it to the basement and parked it before trying stop/start one last time. The engine sign remained.

This episode happened in early evening today. It was an open parking and it was quite hot. The car was there for almost an hour before i got into it and had this experience.
I have no clue why all these things happened and I’m still hopeful i may not find the engine sign on when I start the car tomorrow morning. At the most, i’ll get it sorted in the service centre in the coming week.
But my CONFIDENCE on the reliability of the XUV is BADLY SHAKEN. Mechanical issues can happen with any machine and are acceptable but an issue of this nature which seems purely electronic is scary and can easily lead to a severe mishap. It may not happen again and I may forget about this instance in a few weeks time but right now I feel like exploring a reliable replacement.
My Brother faced the same issue when my car had done just about 5K km. The same chain of events as you mentioned. I was reversing in, switched to D and the steering felt heavy and all the lights came ON and the engine refused to turn off.
We even tried disconnecting the battery even though we knew the engine wouldn't get turned off, we at least hoped the electronics would shut down, but NOPE. The car just kept on idling. And to make matters worse, we were at a hill station past 9 PM. We somehow contacted our technicians from our regional ASC after 2 hours and they suggested keeping the start button pressed for a few seconds and that's when finally the engine shut down.

We escalated the issue with the ASC and the technical support team from Mahindra because it was such a high risk driving down from the hill station if the power steering were to fail again mid-drive.

The feedback we received was an assurance that the issue will not occur when we are driving forward. This is a Known issue which has been reported in XUV 500 models from the past.
It's caused by an ABS sensor wire short-circuiting at a specific steering angle only when reversing. This somehow overloads the power steering module and shuts it down.
They told me this with such a cool tone as if it's a feature they have been passing down for generations. .
The issue hasn't happened since then. the ASC performed their OBD scans and whatnot but found nothing suspicious. No work has been done on my vehicle, to prevent it from happening again.

Just like you, it's a scary affair driving the vehicle now, knowing that the power steering can fail at any time & the fact that Mahindra is doing nothing to address this issue, even after they developed a completely new chassis for the XUV 7oo is extremely disturbing.
Gokulr488 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 14:40   #10446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
I posted this finding quite a few days back but the post didn’t get any traction.

Petrol Automatic is required to be 95 RON but no mention of octane rating for manual. Since it’s the same engine ,Min RON should be same.

I was filling regular Gasoline before I read the manual ,but now it’s XP95.

Any perceivable difference, none other than placebo effect.
I raised this with Mahindra and got a reply to use 95 RON only and Minimum (yes minimum ) 10% Ethanol and Max 20% Ethanol.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_3857.jpeg  

himanshu_trikha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 14:52   #10447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulr488 View Post
We escalated the issue with the ASC and the technical support team from Mahindra because it was such a high risk driving down from the hill station if the power steering were to fail again mid-drive.
Thank you for sharing the insights on the issue diagnosis. To an extent i find it reassuring that it is a known issue which is expected to happen while reversing ( at a certain angle) . But it is concerning that there is a significant likelihood of this happening as many owners are facing it. Those who have reported it here have only came across it while reversing and I am wondering what could be some potentially risky situations when this issue can occur? That way some sort of mitigation can be planned in advance.

I also find it unacceptable that Mahindra is simply expecting us to live with it. The car is excellent but competition is quickly closing the gap and just matter of time before Mahindra loses such liberty.
Old 24th July 2024, 18:42   #10448

Quote:
I raised this with Mahindra and got a reply to use 95 RON only and Minimum (yes minimum ) 10% Ethanol and Max 20% Ethanol.
I guess I need to raise a similar query for manual variant of Petrol.

Ideally, there shouldn't be any difference between fuel specifications between manual vs automatic but why does owner's manual highlight the difference is strange and should be clarified.
Old 25th July 2024, 17:49   #10449
bbv
BHPian

Hello,

I see that for the 3D mats, for example: gfx 3D mats don't completely go under the front seat, but end much before it. So, if someone is using it, could you please tell if that actually limits the foot movement for the rear passengers or the foot anyways can't reach beyond that bucket design?

Last edited by bbv : 25th July 2024 at 17:50.
Old 25th July 2024, 20:31   #10450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Additional information on the AX7 AWD variant:
The AX7 AWD comes with a key additional feature that is not available on the AX7 2WD variant, this is not documented well and most of the sales reps are unaware as well. AX7 AWD variant comes with Electronic Parking Brake EPB with Auto Hold which according to the feature list is available only on the luxury pack. EPB is also a necessity for your stop-and-go feature on an adaptive cruise and going by this there is a very good chance that the AX7 AWD variant may have stop and go feature as well - there is no document to confirm on this though and the only way to know for sure is to test it out
Hi Sandegov, so does the AX7 AWD get the Stop and Go Adaptive Cruise control?
rroy92 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 23:19   #10451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Hi Sandegov, so does the AX7 AWD get the Stop and Go Adaptive Cruise control?
Nope, Not in AX7 ,it’s available in AX7 L but
I found no practical use of this feature in real life conditions.

Keeps too much distance between two cars ,tempting two wheelers and small hatches to cut through and if you have that ADAS level -2 emergency braking enabled ,it’s quite a ride !
himanshu_trikha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 07:30   #10452
BHPian

Can anyone from Chennai please weigh in on which is the best dealer and service center for the XUV700 in Chennai (according to your personal experience?)
Old 26th July 2024, 10:47   #10453

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrthodocX View Post
Can anyone from Chennai please weigh in on which is the best dealer and service center for the XUV700 in Chennai (according to your personal experience?)
Reg: Dealer for sales. your mileage might vary. As for service centers, I have good experience with MM Motors at Iyyappanthangal and Zulaikha Motors at Ambattur. Haven't tried any others so far.
manoj.elan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 11:04   #10454
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Nope, Not in AX7 ,it’s available in AX7 L but
I found no practical use of this feature in real life conditions.

Keeps too much distance between two cars ,tempting two wheelers and small hatches to cut through and if you have that ADAS level -2 emergency braking enabled ,it’s quite a ride !
I remember some videos on YouTube showing XUV700 creeping slowly and braking slowly using ACC with Stop & Go activated. I would take those YouTube videos with pinch of salt as they don't show full picture.
Is it possible to use ACC with stop & go with AEB (automatic emergency braking) turned off so that the car does not brake suddenly ?

I feel TJA (Traffic Jam Assist) and LKA (Lane Keep Assist) are 2 of the most important features needed in the cars with ADAS Level 2.
Old 26th July 2024, 13:32   #10455
RVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
Is it possible to use ACC with stop & go with AEB (automatic emergency braking) turned off so that the car does not brake suddenly ?
It is mandatory to enable AEB for ACC to work. How in the world would the car stop if Automatic braking is disabled? Rather, you can set the AEB sensitivity to "Late" instead of normal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks