Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2024, 17:52   #10051
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Hello Folks - After much deliberation and comparisons with the new Tata Safari/Harrier, have decided to go with the AX5 variant (Napoli Black) due to the value it provides and ability to hopefully leave some budget on the table to look at an EV or new launch in the next couple of years as the second ride. There was a lot of discussion about waiting for a mid life update from Mahindra for the XUV700, but it does not look like we will have one in this year and we like the Napoli black which is finally available and the lead times seem much better (I had canceled my earlier AX7L booking last year after 14 months of waiting). Our drive is usually <10K a year, in this current world of hybrid work. Planning to get this through our Orix corporate lease option. Car will be used by both me and the home minister with our old XUV500 or Ecosport (haven't decided at this time) serving as the second ride. Would really appreciate some inputs/advice from our team bhp community of owners and experts (i know this is subjective but will be good to hear other senior members views)
1. How is the AX5 sound system? I know it has 5 speakers but is the sound fairly ok? Note, we are upgrading from our old XUV500 whose music was very average at best
2. We saw AX5 does not have a wireless charger and only a USB type A port. Is this effective by using a USB A to C cable to charge our iPhones?
3. Would like to add a dashcam aftermarket. Is that fairly easily possible?
4. Would also like to have an option of a TPMS installed after market as we are usually very lax in getting the tyre pressure checked regularly. Is an aftermarket TPMS set up available and easy to install?
5. While we prefer Diesel to allow for better efficiency for some long drives and the fact that our drives are mostly in bumper to bumper city traffic, where we are worried the petrol variant will burn a hole. Any thoughts on the diesel vs Petrol variant for our scenario?
6. While the current view is to go for the Automatic, i would prefer a manual variant, if the clutch is going to be fairly easy to use for both me and the home minister. We plan to drive this for another 6-8 years, so don't want to end up with a manual whose clutch is going to be tough to use as we clock a few miles. Thoughts please?

Appreciate your inputs

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 8th May 2024 at 18:06.
Old 8th May 2024, 18:32   #10052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
.. decided to go with the AX5 variant ...
...While we prefer Diesel
Diesel is a good choice for type of usage (be it low or high running).

If staying around the same budget is a criteria, one option is to go with either AX5-automatic or step up one level up to AX7-manual - those power folding mirrors is a necessary feature given our roads.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th May 2024 at 18:34.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 19:05   #10053
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Folks - After much deliberation and comparisons with the new Tata Safari/Harrier, have decided to go with the AX5 variant
1 - Even the 4-speaker setup of the base MX variant sounds decent enough after some tuning, but do not expect a mind-blowing experience.
2 - I personally prefer wired charging because it is faster and the phone does not heat up. Use a good quality cable and you're set.
3 - Yes, plenty of Bhpians have installed dashcams in the 700s.
4 - Yes, I really like the JK tyres TPMS, it works well and doesn't cost a bomb. Here-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ms-review.html (Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review)
5 - While the petrol is a rocket to drive, it will burn a whole in your pocket. If you're worried about FE, diesel is the way to go.
6 - If I were in your shoes, I'd be going with the automatic transmission. I love manuals, but on a 700, the convenience of the automatic is too good to skip.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 20:19   #10054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Diesel is a good choice for type of usage (be it low or high running).

If staying around the same budget is a criteria, one option is to go with either AX5-automatic or step up one level up to AX7-manual - those power folding mirrors is a necessary feature given our roads.
Thank you! I agree the power folding mirrors are a god send on our roads and will miss that feature from my XUV500, however in the last 8 years, I would have probably used it less than once a month. So am looking to make this sacrifice as the cost difference between 5 seater AX5 Auto vs AX7 Manual is about 3.5L. Would want to stick to the budget and save this for a replacement of our second car in a year or 2, as I expect a few exciting launches in the EV space.
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 20:28   #10055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
1 - Even the 4-speaker setup of the base MX variant sounds decent enough after some tuning, but do not expect a mind-blowing experience.
2 - I personally prefer wired charging because it is faster and the phone does not heat up. Use a good quality cable and you're set.
3 - Yes, plenty of Bhpians have installed dashcams in the 700s.
4 - Yes, I really like the JK tyres TPMS, it works well and doesn't cost a bomb. Here-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ms-review.html (Treel Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Review)
5 - While the petrol is a rocket to drive, it will burn a whole in your pocket. If you're worried about FE, diesel is the way to go.
6 - If I were in your shoes, I'd be going with the automatic transmission. I love manuals, but on a 700, the convenience of the automatic is too good to skip.
Thank you, this is very helpful! The FE is the only reason I am not keen on the Petrol. Strangely the AX5 seems to have USB A slot in the front and a USB C in the rear, seems strange to have a USB A slot in today's day and age
Old 8th May 2024, 23:00   #10056
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you, this is very helpful! The FE is the only reason I am not keen on the Petrol. Strangely the AX5 seems to have USB A slot in the front and a USB C in the rear, seems strange to have a USB A slot in today's day and age
Well, the USB type-A has its uses so I won't complain about it. Regarding the engine choice, the 2L petrol is an absolute blast to drive. It is in the league of some expensive European cars, but there's no escaping the abysmal fuel efficiency. I know a gentleman who bought the petrol variant at launch thinking that it wouldn't be a problem because he gets a fixed amount of money for petrol on a monthly basis as a part of his salary package, now regrets his decision as his running has become much higher due to a transfer.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 14:04   #10057

Quote:
Appreciate your inputs
Similar to your decision i have decided to settle for the AX5 Diesel. Main reasons being the following :

1. Difference of around 3 lacs for AX7 Manual and 2 lacs for AX5 Auto incline me towards AX5 Manual as i was looking for cars of a segment lower like seltos or creta and AX5 in the same budget looked a much better deal.

2. Going for AX7 / AX7 L was too near to a Innova Hycross Hybrid which would have been a much better option in my opinion if the budget was approx 30 lacs.

Coming on to the shortcomings these missing features made me mad:

1. Automatic Climate Control : I think mahindra should have offered the same in AX5 and kept the dual zone one for the higher variants.

2. Foldable ORVM: That is agonising for a 21 lac SUV, will get the same installed from Mahindra as done by some of the fellow BHPians.

Coming on to the accessories i am looking forward to install these from the local market:

1. Leather seat covers ( would like the ones matching with AX7)
2. Dashcam ( will go with fuse connection rather than the USB one )
3. TPMS ( OEM ones will be preferable)
Nsm1809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 16:31   #10058

I would be getting a new XUV700 and need some help from the esteemed members on a few questions regarding XUV's accessories. In my society I have seen all the XUV's having a rear bumper and a foot rest. Foot rest I understand is required for old people while climbing the car but apart from this use case, are there any other use case for foot rest. I am thinking it might help keep bikers from getting too close to the car as it protrudes a few inches from the car (just a guess). Can anyone confirm on this. Also is the rear bumper really required? My question is in respect to the fact that there would be a crumple zone at the rear of the car which should absorb the impact if there a collision from rear but would the bumper not get in it's way or would the bumper save the car during a back collision of the XUV. Can the experts help me answer the question?
Old 10th May 2024, 11:09   #10059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh86 View Post
I would be getting a new XUV700 and need some help from the esteemed members on a few questions regarding XUV's accessories. In my society I have seen all the XUV's having a rear bumper and a foot rest. Foot rest I understand is required for old people while climbing the car but apart from this use case, are there any other use case for foot rest. I am thinking it might help keep bikers from getting too close to the car as it protrudes a few inches from the car (just a guess). Can anyone confirm on this. Also is the rear bumper really required? My question is in respect to the fact that there would be a crumple zone at the rear of the car which should absorb the impact if there a collision from rear but would the bumper not get in it's way or would the bumper save the car during a back collision of the XUV. Can the experts help me answer the question?
Non-expert opinion :The side step as you mentioned is useful for elders and for "not so tall" people to get in and out of the car. It will in no way protect you from bikes as the bike handles have a far better reach than the side step. In my view, it kind of enhances the looks of the car. Get the one from the Mahindra accessory itself as it is the best fit.

I would avoid going for the rear bumper. It completely spoils the looks of the car and more importantly its a major safety concern. It is meant to protect the rear end of the car and not the occupants of the car.

With the bumper, in case of a rear impact the rear bumper would be damaged, which will not be covered under insurance and hence you would have to pay to replace it.

Without the bumper, in case of a rear impact the rear would be damaged, which will be covered under insurance.

So, I would suggest not to go for it. The sales guys will push you for it saying it is both safe and legal since its a genuine accessory by Mahindra
Old 10th May 2024, 19:01   #10060
BHPian

Today I have taken the delivery of XUV700 AX7-L D AT, definitely this thread helped me to finalize & close the deal in favor of XUV.

I have a concern with regards to TPMS, today I removed the normal Air and filled it with Nitrogen, noticed lots of discrepancy between the tire shop Nitrogen meter & XUV built-in TPMS reading. Tire shop guys set 33PSI on the Nitrogen meter and filled the air, but on the built-in TPMS it was showing 40-41 PSI, so we have reduced the pressure on tires until the built-in TPMS was showing 33PSI, now I'm worried that my tires might running lower PSI than 33.

In my previous car I have used Sensairy (Tymtics) internal TPMS, the difference use to be not more than 2-3 PSI between Nitrogen meter vs TPMS. But on XUV the difference is close to 7-9 PSI which will affect the vehicle performance, tire life and fuel efficiency.

My question to the existing XUV owners is whether I should stick with the Nitrogen meter PSI reading or built-in TPMS reading? which is more accurate? your inputs are much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-whatsapp-image-20240510-5.45.25-pm.jpeg  

MathanK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:05   #10061
Senior - BHPian

At the end of the day, calibration of any gauge can vary or change with time. To have a constant reference point, its better to have a simple analog gauge handy and to use the same once in a while to ensure we stay within acceptable pressure range.
Eg: Pressure Gauge

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th May 2024 at 21:08.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 22:17   #10062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG021 View Post
Hey Shubham, Hope you had a safe travel back to bangalore. Do let me know the route you took this time and feedback on how it was. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham_2206 View Post
My journey starts this Thursday, will reach Bangalore on Sunday. I’ve decided to take NH 44.

Chandigarh -> Delhi -> Gwalior -> Nagpur -> Hyderabad -> Bangalore

Will share the feedback once I reach Bangalore
I reached Bangalore on Sunday evening.

Started from Delhi on Thursday afternoon and reached Gwalior by evening. It was a smooth drive, took about 6 hours overall with two small tea breaks of 10-15 mins each. The traffic on this stretch is mostly trucks and there are some patches where the road is bad.

Left from Gwalior on Friday early morning (around 6.30 am) for Nagpur. Most of the stretch is smooth except for some patches where one side of the highway is closed due to ongoing work. This took about 11 hours overall which included 1.5 hours of breaks (for lunch, tea, etc). Please note that leaving early morning helped here as I could cover the first 250 km smoothly with very little traffic.

On Saturday morning (around 7 am), started the journey from Nagpur to Hyderabad. The first 150 km were very bad, full of potholes. Couldn't believe this was the state of a major National Highway. The rest of the journey (about 50 km before Adilabad till Hyderabad) was smooth. Reached Hyderabad at around 5 pm.

On Sunday morning (around 7 am), left for Bangalore from Hyderabad. The entire stretch was pretty smooth. Reached Bangalore at around 4 pm.

Overall, it was a good journey and a good experience driving across the country. It was quite hot around Hyderabad, kept myself hydrated throughout the day which helped. Also, I was exposed to direct sunlight for a long time these four days, so one side of my body (facing driver's window) got noticeably tanned compared to the other side

Hope this helps!
shubham_2206 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 20:25   #10063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh86 View Post
The foot rest is more aesthetic than practical. On my XUV500, it did help some elderly folks and once saved me from a side impact from a biker who bumped into me while i was making a u turn.
Rear bumper, is a avoid in my view as it might ruin the safety built into the car. But I am not expert .. it does probably add a bit of protection from those nosy 2 wheelers at traffic signals who are always trying to squeeze through or get too close, sometimes nicking the rear.
Old 13th May 2024, 11:20   #10064
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi, I am debuting this esteemed forum after having been a passive, but, regular reader of this community for more than 14 years, which experience had greatly influenced my choice of car purchases over the years.

Would like to know how does AX7 AWD AT variant fares in comparison with Scorpio N Z8 4X4 AT variant in terms of ride quality, finesse and ease of use of the variant?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. LexWheels
Old 13th May 2024, 11:33   #10065

Hi guys

Is there a decent car accesories shop near Bannerghatta Road BLR that someone can recommend? I am planning to get the following for my AX5.

1. Seat Covers
2. Rear Bumper
3. Side foot step

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks