Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 12:56   #2971
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I had added AX3 5 seater in my cart and tried to book the same on 7th Oct noon but the booking was stalled after the first hour. Hence I went to the showroom on the same day evening and made a mistake of taking my daughter too. She was hellbent on buying the AX5 model since it had the sunroof. I had to give in at last and booked the same. The SA had informed me that the booking will be done only on the next day (8th Oct) and I will have to shell out another 50k over the earlier announced prices as it was only for the first 25k bookings.

I still wrote to the Mahindra CC, explaining that I had the car added in my cart and I tried booking on the first day but couldn't. The area sales manager called me after few days and informed me that since I had changed the model from AX3 to AX5 while booking the car in the showroom, the prices that prevailed on 7th will not be extended to me. My bad!!

I haven't received any update on the delivery date yet but got today the same mail that many others had shared above.
Enthusiast81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:02   #2972
BHPian

You see, being totally aware of the semiconductor chip shortages as of now, I just see Mahindra's inability to produce vehicles, a managerial incompetency and nothing more. While the whole world faces the same chip shortage, how is that only few companies got the short end of the stick.

Even for companies like MG, launching the Astor was a great managerial decision in the manner it was implemented - First Come First Serve; with a tentative delivery timeline for the rest of the folks who booked it on a later date. Tata, on the other hand, was proactive enough to not restrict their supply of chips when the demand for new vehicles plummeted in the wake of COVID-19. Same was the case with Hyundai, who had reliable vendors, and after few weeks of struggle, it jumped back to its original production mode.

Taking the case of Mahindra, it was neither proactive, like Tata, nor it took effective and efficient managerial decisions like MG. Whereas MG only sold the vehicle it had actually produced, with a clear and transparent timeline for the rest of deliveries, Mahindra bathed in the 25k/50k/65k milestone achievement without considering the production capability they had. Or maybe they did, but at that point, it was just getting those bookings in, to build up some of the capital, raise prices after the launch and deliver to customers who booked at a later date, after the price protection ended. I can't decide which scenario is worse.

In any case, what we as customers got, was poor delivery scheduling, with Mahindra taking no responsibility and shielding itself through the use of Third Party Consulting firms and no clear delivery roadmap for the customers. And I know that a lot of the customers are ready to wait, only if they get a proper delivery schedule. Mahindra had a similar tryst with its managerial inefficacy when Thar was launched an year back. Mahindra had then said, that they were not expecting such huge numbers; but in case of XUV, they were. And as a cherry on top, the top management remains silent. Contrary to this, take the example of Zac Hollis, who was so proactive during the Kushaq issues. I mean, I was enticed for a moment to get a Skoda instead.

Concluding here, I would just say this. Being a proud Indian, I aim at buying only made in India. That has been always my motto and my reason for owning a Mahindra XUV5OO for more than 10 years. Mahindra products are amazing(sans the niggle period) but their service is opposed to their product satisfaction. And I for one, would prefer booking cancellation and going for a rival vehicle rather than negotiating on which deleted features could be set off for a certain price. It's just sad to see how Mahindra is deciding on deleting features that were the sole reason of XUV7OO garnering so much attention. At the end of it all, I only see big promises(by the marketing team) and those promises left unfulfilled.

Edit: I didn't receive any mail today. But I'm glad to see that the Company is relaying information to the customers, how little it may be.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 10th November 2021 at 14:15.
Moto_Bear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:33   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
You see, being totally aware of the semiconductor chip shortages as of now, I just see Mahindra's inability to produce vehicles, a managerial incompetency and nothing more. While the whole world faces the same chip shortage, how is that only few companies got the short end of the stick.
The order backlog is huge, does not seem to resolve this year at all or even first half of next year. The numbers would have reached around 5.5L units pending with Indian car manufactures mainly Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra in that order.

Certainly their supplier cannot meet the demand or this vehicle would have been released a bit earlier.

Now you as a customer certainly have choices - hold onto your patience or settle for a lesser vehicle for a higher price. 10 years ago there were discussions about XUV Vs Aria on this very forum, you sure can imagine what happened afterwards.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:48   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
This accessory price list was shared here a few pages back. Re-posting it.
Found official accessories list with pictures at this external link https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...v700-27866.htm
Old 10th November 2021, 14:52   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The order backlog is huge, does not seem to resolve this year at all or even first half of next year. The numbers would have reached around 5.5L units pending with Indian car manufactures mainly Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra in that order.
Now you as a customer certainly have choices - hold onto your patience or settle for a lesser vehicle for a higher price.
Couldn't agree more. When Mahindra said they are taking 25K orders on day-1, without much data, I was presuming a delivery timeline of 10 months, assuming 2.5K/month capacity. Definitely, there is a lot more Mahindra could have done in terms of transparency and communication. Hope they are already trying to correct some of those. Even if they had handled communication well, someone else would have been unhappy due to their long waiting period. 14k units in 2.5 months is excellent!

Only alternative Mahindra had was to stop taking orders after X numbers; but why would they do that!

Unfortunately, things may get worse before they are going to get better. Apart from the semiconductor shortage, there is also a magnesium shortage that is looming over automobile industry.

Probably, Mahindra can consider allowing free cancellations if they cannot delivery in X months.
Old 10th November 2021, 15:00   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If you want to wait for the updated version with additional features, actually delivery would probably go to mid 2023, or worse, end of 2023!
Of course, but the chip shortage could also be addressed to an extent, bringing the waiting period down.

Imagine taking delivery in October/November, only for Mahindra to launch an updated variant the next month
Old 10th November 2021, 15:04   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Now you as a customer certainly have choices - hold onto your patience or settle for a lesser vehicle for a higher price. 10 years ago there were discussions about XUV Vs Aria on this very forum, you sure can imagine what happened afterwards.
I agree. While we all have choices and must avail them for sure, I waited for a while for my Thar (both before booking and after) but once I could lay my hands on it, experience was extraordinary. Hoping the same with XUV700. Surprisingly I was expecting chips shortage to ease a bit but it looks like this will go on for a while now. XUV vs Aria is a timely reminder
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:04   #2978
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra’s XUV7OO achieved five stars for adult occupant and four stars for child occupants in Global NCAP’s latest test.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-2.jpg

ADULT OCCUPANT:
The protection offered to the driver and passenger’s head, neck and chest was good. Driver and passenger’s knees showed good protection. Driver
tibias showed adequate protection and passenger tibias showed adequate and good protection. The bodyshell and footwell area was rated as stable
and they were capable of withstanding further loadings. The car offers standard SBR for driver and passenger. The UN95 test showed that the car
could pass the requirements. All of the above explained the five stars for adult occupant protection.

CHILD OCCUPANT:
The child seat for the 3 year old and 1.5 year old were installed RWF with ISOfIX and support leg. Both were able to prevent head exposure during
the impact. CRS marking was ok. The recommended CRSs did not show incompatibility. The vehicle offers lapbelt in the rear centre position. All of the
above explained the four star for child occupant protection.

Source: Global NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th November 2021 at 15:14.
volkman10 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:06   #2979

Xuv 700 registers 5 star safety rating on Global NCAP
It scored 16.03 of 17 points for adults occupants and 41.66 out of 49 for chuld occupants.

The variant used for the test was the most basic one with two airbags.
JigarKansagara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:14   #2980
BHPian

Another detailed video

drshajul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:15   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra’s XUV7OO achieved five stars for adult occupant and four stars for child occupants in Global NCAP’s latest test.

Yay! Mahindra has paid off customers' trust who had booked the XUV with the assurance of 5 star rating. This is now the biggest advantage of XUV over Safari, apart from pricing ofcourse.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:23   #2982
BHPian

In my opinion, new variants with ventilated seats, electric tail gate, and ambient lighting won't be launched until Mahindra atleast has delivered 50k cars. That, in itself is a huge task considering the chip shortage.

Auto dimming mirror could be added without information.

Normally, new variants are added to push up demand, or during festive season to create hype.

We are atleast a year away from seeing new variants or feature updation. Case in point Seltos/Sonet/Creta. You can these cars selling well and no feature updates were offered in the first 8-10 months. This is normally the time to push for production efficiency as much as possible with no changes.
Old 10th November 2021, 15:30   #2983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Siddharth Vinayak Patankar of NDTV Car&Bike has teased a new crash test at the ADAC Technik Zentrum test laboratory's crash hall on Twitter. Could it be the Mahindra XUV700?

Attachment 2230575

Link to source
https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...68734909779971

5 stars
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuv-700.jpg  

Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:33   #2984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Source: Global NCAP
Any clue why didn’t the curtain airbags open in the side impact test, considering the variant used was AX7L (White XUV700)??
Old 10th November 2021, 15:40   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
I wanted to get a perspective from the XUV700 followers as well, so, quoting it here. I am now more inclined towards Safari - Gizmos aside, I felt it was the better car. What do you guys think, have you driven these cars back to back?
Well I drove the Safari and the XUV, let me share my perspective:

1. Exterior looks: Safari is definitely the better looking one. XUV has presence but the Safari is simply brilliant (subjective).

2. Interiors - Dash & overall looks: When I was at the Tata showroom, they had launched the Altroz Dark edition. IMHO even the Altroz Dark had better interiors at less than half the price. Because of the colour shades, the Harrier interiors also looked better than Safari. Sitting in the Safari it didn't feel like a 25L car. The XUV on the other hand is miles ahead. It is a far cry from the overtly busy or bare bones Mahindras of earlier times. And with the digital display, it felt really premium. Not sure if I will use all the features but it can't hurt that they're there and for a price that's less or equal to the Safari.

3. Interiors - Seats: First two rows are comfortable in both the vehicles. But Safari has a reclining second row and a much better third row. This is a big miss in the XUV.

4. Safety: I have a small child so this is very important to me. XUV is 5 star rated now. But as per news on this forum earlier, the XUV was on track for this safety rating. As mentioned by BHPian Ram87Pune, the Safari has a structural issue because of the Fiat engine being used in RHD vehicle. Tata not sending their flagship Safari for crash testing only gives credence to this point.

5. Experience: I had to visit the Tata showroom three times and still couldn't get a test drive (finally got one after using a personal connection!). I have taken two test drives on the XUV despite the crazy rush. Overall experience I think Mahindra is better.

6. The worry of niggles: Although neither product is going to be an Innova in terms of reliability, from whatever reading I have done it seems Mahindra probably has an edge over Tata in terms of service. More so Mahindra seems more proactive in fixing some of the initial niggles.

7. Road manners: I am not race car driver. I am a baal bacche wala aadmi. I need something that drives well. So long as it is not a boat and can handle bad roads well, it works for me. XUV 7OO is a massively improved version over the 5OO. I haven't driven the Safari or the XUV extensively enough to comment on the handling but both take rough patches well.

8. Miscellaneous: I have never used ADAS, not sure if I will but its good to know that XUV has it and I can use it if I want to - without paying more than the Safari. The Sony sound system is simply mind blowing. Do I need it in a car? May be not. But hey it's there if I want it and for the same price as the top end Safari. You get the drift.

Conclusion: it is a close one. But IMO XUV overall gives more bang for the buck, is definitely safer and has much much better interiors (which is where I am going to be spending bulk of my time with the car). I am not in a hurry to get a car so for me it was the XUV. Now only hoping the feature deletions don't screw things up.
charade is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks