Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2021, 21:53   #2551
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

I had a long talk with my dealer today as they had done my booking on 7th itself..firstly somehow my variant was wrongly booked as AX7L PET AT, this I only got to know few days back from my bookings page on the website. Today track my order has popped up showing the same status as others.

Dealer assured that they had placed booking for non luxury variant but also assured that two cars are coming to them in red which I want and I can choose between the two variants L or standard one. I am now contemplating getting the Luxury pack after giving it much thought.

He said would update when cars are in transit and further info would be given to them on 27th, some petrol cars are already in transit from factory as per them.

I also negotiated on the insurance part where my agent is giving quote at almost 70k against 1.1L on the dealer price list. He said we would try to match price after I share the quotes else I can get from outside also.

Accessories pack is not something he would push but insisted we get the basic things individually as per my liking. I do require a side step for elders and kid so I would ask around the accessories shops first before committing to one provided by dealer as I am looking for a sleek design in black.

As for the FE he did mention that company would be claiming 14kpl for highways and 10 for city for petrol, I expect actual performance to be 20% less..
souvik6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:19   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post
I had a long talk with my dealer today as they had done my booking on 7th itself..firstly somehow my variant was wrongly booked as AX7L PET AT, this I only got to know few days back from my bookings page on the website. Today track my order has popped up showing the same status as others.
If you don't mind sharing, which dealer ?
Old 25th October 2021, 22:22   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
If you don't mind sharing, which dealer ?
This is at Prime Auto Faridabad, had a very good experience with them so far.
souvik6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 00:23   #2554
BHPian

Posting my feedback after taking the test drive of the XUV7OO AX7 Luxury Pack Diesel AT In Bangalore. It wasn't a long and detailed test drive (given I had to really tap a few shoulders to even get the vehicle at my place) and I had to be always conscious of the time I'm spending with the vehicle to allow it to move to its next stop within time. I actually forgot to check the odometer to see how many kms it has been driven. For reference I'm an ex-XUV5OO owner and a current Hexa XTA (2018) owner and who has taken a few spins in the new Tata Safari. They all belong to the same class, so probably it helps as comparisons should be mostly justified if not always.

1.) Ride Quality - With a non-nuclear family including senior citizens that travel together with me, ride comfort is of importance for me. I'm not the one putting a large SUV on the road just for sheer street cred, I have an actual use for the larger foot print vs other compact SUVs. XUV7OO rides well. It is leagues ahead of its predecessor XUV5OO, which was the one I would always avoid getting into immediately after having food, as it would make me feel sick in the stomach. No such issues with the 7OO. However, despite have FSD (M&M doesn't miss to state it is version 2.0 while other use version 1.0) and independent suspension all around, I cannot say it's far better than the new gen Safari. In fact I will need to drive the Safari back to back with XUV7OO to actually notice the differences. However since Safari is known for its good ride and XUV5OO was notorious for its ride quality, it's a huge progression for M&M. But -- Safari definitely has higher articulation than XUV and I guess is a tad bit firmed than XUV since it doesn't have the luxury of a FSD and a rudimentary panhard twist beam setup at the rear. But in comparison to the Hexa, there is just no comparison whatsoever. If on a scale of 10, if XUV7OO is a 7/10, Hexa is definitely a 10/10. While I could bottom out the XUV at several places, nothing like that happens with my Hexa and it is super silent (though I ride on the 19" wheels). XUV is also fairly silent and the thuds are heard in the cabin but it is not close to that magic carpet ride of the Hexa. Marketing mumbo-jumbo aside -- in siolation XUV7OO has a good ride but in comparison with the Hexa it pales. But it is no shame as many cars even in 40+ bracket will also get shamed by the Hexa.

2.) Engine and AT Gearbox - I feel like the XUV5OO, in the 7OO as well, the engine masks the deficiencies of the gearbox. And boy what an engine it is. No doubts better than the old Varicor400 on the Hexa and also better than the Fiat one in the Safari and the Harrier. While the AT gearbox on the XUV7OO (Asin) is better than the Safari twins (Hyundai), it is not more responsive than the Punch PowerGlide in the Hexa. I can say so because despite having a sloppier engine and a much higher kerb weight (1600 odd on the XUV vs 2300 odd on the Hexa = 700 kgs of difference), the way the Hexa gearbox drops the cogs to throttle inputs and keep the car moving fast, is commendable. I recently also drove the Gloster which has far more power and torque than the Hexa yet it felt way too slow than it (may be it won't under straight line outright acceleration of 0-100, but who drives like that in real world). But again as I said since you have a lower kerb weight, a more rev happy engine, and a decent enough AT on the XUV7OO, someone coming from Hexa wouldn't have reason to complain as it will be quicker even if the gearbox is not constantly shuffling between the gears. There is loads of grunt and pull lower down and enough in the mid range to keep drivers happy.

3.) Steering - Steering on XUV7OO is lighter than anything I have put my hands on on this size and class of vehicles, except may be a Hyundai. No feel but accurate enough and weighs up nicely as the speed increases. Needs to be tested more on curves, but whatever little I could test, it was light years lighter than the Hexa hydraulic unit. Despite being termed heavy I didn't find Safari steering heavy at parking speeds (probably coz my daily drive is a Hexa) but XUV7OO is noticeably lighter than Safari twins. More like Nexon. But I can say for sure it is not like a Ford (aches my heart again that they are no longer going to operate in India)

4.) NVH - NVH Levels are acceptable and rather good for the class of the vehicle. I felt Hexa, Safari and Harrier - all of them are a bit more damped than XUV7OO. But the engine note is least obtrusive in the XUV7OO. Mind you it's not silent like that of the Gloster, but it is much quieter than XUV5OO and doesn't become prominent unless you are in the higher rev range. Road noise was there on the MRF tyres and wind noise wasn't so much noticeable for me, probably because I couldn't take it over 100 kmph due to dearth of time and the road on which I was driving. Vibrations on steering and pedals at start is not much, but is also not non-existent.

5.) Cabin and interiors - The area where most cost cuttings have been made. Other than that gorgeous touchscreen and MID, there is barely much to write about. Buttons are damped but lack the premium feel. There are hard plastics all around and the car already had a squeak coming from behind the drivers seat (I suspect it was from the B Pillar). XUV5OO was also notorious for rattles and squeaks and the fact that M&M has used hard plastics everywhere and damping is not class leading, I feel a bit skeptical on how easily can the car be kept rattle / squeak free. For comparison after 30k kilometers and 3.5 years of ownership, the Hexa hasn't till date developed 1 rattle or squeak whatsoever. It is probably the best put together car of Tata. In comparison, I visited the service center almost every month to get the rattles and squeaks on my XUV5OO fixed. I hate rattles / squeaks and I cannot drive with them -- period. Plastic quality is average and I'm not a fan of the piano black finish on the buttons. Still much much better than its predecessor. But once large touchscreens become a norm, the ordinary cabin quality will start becoming an eye sore. In this department the Safari twins definitely feel, a segment above XUV7OO. The materials are top notch.

I must give a special mention to the sound system. That 12 speaker Sony sound system set on immersive 3D setting is - "mind blowing". I can safely say it beats the 10 speaker system in Hexa and the 9 speaker setups in Safari and Harrier, though not by much. But even if marginal, it is no doubt superior and the base is typical attacking base of Sony. I expected the same from Bose in Kia but the base there was more boomy and muddled whereas on Safari, Hexa and XUV7OO it is sharp with XUV being the finest of all. I will say it's better than Meridian system on the Range Rover Discovery Sport as well.

6.) Looks - I deliberately kept it last because it is subjective and controversial. If I keep the XUV value proposition aside, I will never buy a car with this design. It's not quirky, its simply overdone -- again. Safari and Harrier look so much better and well proportioned than the XUV7OO. The Hexa might give MPV vibes to few, but it has a design that has aged well and still looks imposing and exudes European class. XUV7OO design has not grown on me and if I decide to buy it, it will not be for its looks for sure.

ADAS, lane keep assist, blind view monitor, 360 camera -- all work fine. I enjy driving so while things like adaptive cruise control is appreciated, I'm too engrossed a driver to be heavily dependent upon them. Where driver reflexes cannot match the machine like ABS and ESP, I'm glad we are covered on that from almost every OEM now a days.

So here I conclude my brief on experience with XUV7OO test drive. I'm still not sure if I should be buying one. Family appreciated all the advancements from XUV5OO but I have no issues with the Hexa except that I sorely miss a screen where I can project Google Maps for navigation and the infamous 4 years itch that is approaching. But those who really need a 7 or a 5 seater, XUV7OO is not just a marketing offspring. It does pack a serious punch with a value quotient that puts all its rivals to shame. They may be better at a few things (and if 1 or more of them are a deal breaker for you, they just are and there is no reason to follow the crowd that is going gaga over XUV7OO and feel bad about it) but overall as a package XUV7OO is unbeatable.

Last edited by TORQUE_AANJANEY : 26th October 2021 at 00:34. Reason: Typo
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 08:46   #2555
Senior - BHPian

I spent a good 30-40 minutes on the sound unit, discovering the different settings with genres of music I had carried, and it started to give me a headache. That overhead speaker placement is questionable
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
That 12 speaker Sony sound system set on immersive 3D setting is - "mind blowing"
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:26   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post
my variant was wrongly booked as AX7L PET AT

As for the FE he did mention that company would be claiming 14kpl for highways and 10 for city for petrol, I expect actual performance to be 20% less..
I had a similar experience with another dealership in Faridabad. They too have assured us that we will get the variant of our choice without much delay, at introductory prices.
About the FE figures, even 8 kmpl for Petrol AT might be optimistic. Realistic figures would be 5-6 in traffic and 8-9 on the highway.
quantobigboot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 09:29   #2557
BHPian

Anybody having any idea about the functionality of this button?This button is even found on the base variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_202110260914333.jpg  

Old 26th October 2021, 09:58   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi Febin,

As member msksalman has posted above, in your login on the M&M Auto portal, under 'My Booking' page, you can now see the link to "Track my booking" (I just noticed it too).
I suspect my mobile number and email address is updated incorrectly in the booking form. I don’t see any entries in my bookings section. I have been checking it from 7th, multiple times a day. Now I am worried if Mahindra will say “ you have exceeded the maximum number of OTP requests on this number” 😂😂
Old 26th October 2021, 09:59   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Anybody having any idea about the functionality of this button?This button is even found on the base variant.
If you mean the dummy button on the rightmost corner, then it's for selecting the drive modes (only in diesel variants though). The one near to that is the "Screensaver On/off" button. Attaching a video link where the whole buttons are explained as well as a screenshot of the same to help better visualize it. Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-drive-mode-selector.jpg  

wadewilson is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:49   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantobigboot View Post
About the FE figures, even 8 kmpl for Petrol AT might be optimistic. Realistic figures would be 5-6 in traffic and 8-9 on the highway.
Just for perspective, my 10 year old petrol MT Honda City gives around 7.5 kmpl in bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic. If the XUV700 petrol AT can give around 6 kmpl in similar traffic conditions I wouldn’t mind it at all. I am mentally prepared for 5 +. I drive less than 500 kms a month.
eagles_ts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:21   #2561
BHPian

Great details covered TORQUE_AANJANEY. I love the comparisons made with your existing stablemates. I recently bought a pre-owned 2017 Hexa XTA and can relate to the details highlighted in respect of the ride quality, engine gearbox and other parameters. The Hexa definitely is a benchmark in ride quality.

Coming to the XUV7OO, love the interiors. The engines on offer are absolutely mouth-watering especially the petrol. However I am very skeptical about the cost of running. For me it is a very important point while making the purchase decision. I would only consider the diesel in this case.
BHPjunkie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:33   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
...I'm an ex-XUV5OO owner and a current Hexa XTA (2018) owner and who has taken a few spins in the new Tata Safari. They all belong to the same class, so probably it helps as comparisons should be mostly justified if not always.
Wow, this is the comparison I was looking for! Can you please also compare the 3rd rows for these cars?

Ride quality and 3rd row comfort are important for me, so I have tried hard to find a well maintained Hexa, but found nothing satisfactory yet. If I find one, I will happily cancel my XUV700 booking.
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:22   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post

Ride quality and 3rd row comfort are important for me, so I have tried hard to find a well maintained Hexa
If these are your prime requirements, may I suggest that you look at the new Safari instead of the XUV? Hexa's ride trumps them all but Safari still has the best ride quality among the segment currently. Third row space too is much better than the XUV 700, I believe it might only be bettered by the Innova.
quantobigboot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:36   #2564
BHPian

XUV7OO Diesel Auto 0 to 100 kmph fastest timings
A small criteria to measure performance is acceleration test run of 0-100 kmph.
It doesn't tell the complete story but it can at least give pointers to the performance a car offers.

Power on Wheels Diesel Auto:
0 to 100 kmph comes up in 9.77 seconds as per the car speedometer. I feel this can have some inherent errors. Therefore, 0 to 105 kmph seems more accurate and for that we get 10.65 seconds.

Short video

Full video

EVO India Diesel Auto:
EVO India Vbox timing is a very impressive 9.88 seconds from 0 to 100 kmph which accounts for errors as well.

Full video, testing 0 to 100 kmph @ 08.25 minutes:seconds.

From the above videos it is clear that Diesel Auto delivers an extremely punchy acceleration.
However, what is more important for daily driving situations is 20-80 kmph or 40-100 kmph timings for highways. Coupled with a powerful diesel engine I am hoping these timings should be class leading for the 7OO.

Looking forward to comprehensive tests by some reviewers.

Last edited by fazalmirza : 26th October 2021 at 12:38.
fazalmirza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:54   #2565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
If you mean the button to the left of the blank button, then it is the on/off switch for the motion sensor which gets activated when you leave and lock the car. And the car’s alarm is activated if it detects any motion inside the car after you’ve locked it.

The button to switch it off has been given because many people lock the car and still leave behind pets and sometimes kids as well. So to not allow the car to start blaring the alarm, a physical button has been provided to deactivate the motion sensor if necessary.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks