Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2022, 20:41   #1111
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
If you're able to do a PDI of the car, or get the VIN number, here's a handy guide (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)) on teambhp by bhpian wildon to decode it. The vin number can be found on the lower part of the windshield on the passengers side. All the best!
I've quoted the post where there is a guide to decipher to the VIN. Hope that is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
Am still tempted to change the booking to AT, since I have test driven just the 1.0 lit AT and found it like a Cheetah, waiting to spring! Would some gent please help me with the pros and cos between the MT & AT (Highline only) since am not too much of a fan of the frills being provided in the name of a topline in the 1.0 lit segment.

Also I do recollect that way back in 2013 when I had picked up the Polo TDi, there was someone who had posted in the Polo thread, how to decipher the VIN on the windshield for the month& year of manufacture. Would someone also kindly re post the same or it's upgraded version for VW today?

PS : Is it worth taking the 9.9K worth accessory kit being provided which essentially has just the mud flaps, mats and rear screens worth talking about. The dealership claims that the same accessories aren't available in stock to be sold separately. So, are these available outside in New Delhi, good quality ones obviously? And any other frills which I am missing out, suggestions for the same would be most welcome.
I would suggest that you yourself find what you like and don't in the AT/MT variants. The engine is eager and makes me want to floor the pedal. The only downside I've found on the AT is the lack of control that the MT gives. I try using the pedals on the steering to downshift and regain control when the car is on a slope.

I took as many test drives as I could to choose between the 1.5 DSG and the 1.0 AT before finally settling down on the 1.0 AT.

The accessories are good quality. I opted for them because I didn't want to go outside the dealer for the mud flaps and floor mats. They look good, I've still not removed the paper mats that come from the service center.

Check if you can opt for the mud flaps individually as you can get those installed by the dealer itself and, get a good quality replacements cheaper from accessories shops.

Congratulations on the booking and all the best buddy!
throttleflick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:42   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Can you also attach pictures from the dashcam to understand the quality as well? How well does it perform during the night?
I did some research and spoke to the mechanics at VW. Apparently the always on state of the 12V socket cannot be disabled by them, so i asked the accessories incharge person at VW as to how the blaupunkt dashcam worked. Then I came to realise that the Blaupunkt has a rechargeable battery so we need to plug it in only when charging and then it can be disconnected. So I'm assuming the date and time don't reset as well. VW mysore has the previous gen Blaupunkt 3.0 FHD dashcam retailing at Rs. 9600. On gomechanic the next gen 4.0 FHD cam with detachable interior cam is available at a discounted price for Rs. 5399. I guess I'll either go for this or any other cam with battery back-up after a few months. I'm really happy with my current dashcam, I've had absolutely no issues with the blueskysea B1W for the past 4 years. There is one disadvantage - the mic is not great and audio quality is poor so I've disabled audio. Attaching a screen recordings from the videos (unable be attach the videos) showing the quality in the morning as well as at night during a thunderstorm (caught a lightening strike as well).
But DDPai and 70Mai at comparable prices seem like better options right now.
The only disadvantage of dashcams with in-built battery IMO is that they are bulky and have to be placed much lower on the windshield, I prefer not to have anything mounted at the center of the windshield. At night I remove the power cable properly since there is this obvious blue indicator light on it, but in the morning I'm forgetting to remove it, so now I've put a post-it on the door near the handle reminding me to remove the power cable for the dashcam.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222083315__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222083324__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222081946__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222081847__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222081932__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222081741__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222083342__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222081800__01.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220222083359.jpg
Osteon206 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:44   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
The My VW Connect app is crap. No point wasting words talking about it.

Reversing camera is sub par. But I'm kinda glad it is there as a standard fitment. I've had no reversing camera on our 2007 Toyota Innova and thus, I rarely glance over the ones on the Taigun while backing up in my parking slot.

For the way I've been built, with short arms and all, I find navigating the ICE to be a task. Same for the horn pad. I'm used to not taking off my fingers from the horn pad on the Innova and I crave for that experience here as well. The buttons to navigate the digital cockpit are also bleh. Purely in terms of how they're arranged and the functions they cater to, the implementation could have been better. I wish they had a call accept/reject button on the steering wheel.

I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how to use the TPMS. Let's just leave it at that.
The VW Connect App is perhaps a half hearted attempt to try and give some connected car functionality and this attempt began with the VW dongle they offered me for free with our Polo in 2020. I didn't use it for more than a day, and it was so bad and buggy that I couldn't even consider recommending or reselling it.

Even on our Tiguan, there isn't a dedicated Call Accept Button, but I believe you would be able to Accept and Reject calls using the Up-Down directional buttons on the right, since I can do that on our Tiguan with a similar set of buttons. If you get an incoming call notification on your instrument cluster, then you can hit OK to Accept or use the Up-Down keys to cycle to Reject and then hit OK to reject your call. Please try this out and hopefully it should work, unless calls aren't relayed to your Instrument Cluster and stay on the Infotainment system. I have a strong feeling it should work.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot-20220221-9.13.33-pm.png

The TPMS on the Taigun is an Indirect TPMS and frankly there isn't much to do with it. When there is a pressure drop, the vehicle should detect a reduction in a particular wheel speed and provide you a Low Pressure or drop in pressure warning depending on its calculation from a learned reference pattern.

From your Infotainment System, you can head to Settings > Car > Tyres and hit SET when pressures have been checked. That's all you have to do and the ABS controller should do the rest of the backend learning pattern and hopefully it will work as expected. I have used this feature plenty of times on our Polo and MK5 Jetta and it does work well once the learning pattern has been done. On your Taigun, it should also work in a similar way.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-tpms-taigun.png
fluidicjoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:35   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Even on our Tiguan, there isn't a dedicated Call Accept Button, but I believe you would be able to Accept and Reject calls using the Up-Down directional buttons on the right, since I can do that on our Tiguan with a similar set of buttons. If you get an incoming call notification on your instrument cluster, then you can hit OK to Accept or use the Up-Down keys to cycle to Reject and then hit OK to reject your call. Please try this out and hopefully it should work, unless calls aren't relayed to your Instrument Cluster and stay on the Infotainment system. I have a strong feeling it should work.

The TPMS on the Taigun is an Indirect TPMS and frankly there isn't much to do with it. When there is a pressure drop, the vehicle should detect a reduction in a particular wheel speed and provide you a Low Pressure or drop in pressure warning depending on its calculation from a learned reference pattern.
Thanks for the suggestions fludicjoy, I think the call accept/reject experience is a bummer for me solely because I use Apple CarPlay and the ICE takes over. I've never noticed the incoming call notification appear on the instrument cluster when connected to CarPlay and I'm going to keep an eye on it. It does appear when not connected I guess because I remember using it at least on one instance.

Regarding the TPMS, I followed what the owners manual said on day 1, your explanation makes much more sense in addition to what VW has mentioned in it. Thanks for clearing this up.

Cheers.

Anyone here got their windshields protected with a sun film? Saw the CR 70 by 3M to be a popular choice on the forum. The steering wheel top heats up while driving in the afternoon. I also noticed the Asahi glass on the windshield and boot and the Saint Gobain glasses on the windows don't get the "Dark Green" treatment that the Polos get. I saw one youtube video from Hyderabad who got their windows and glasses done in the 3M CR 70 but, they haven't done a follow up video regarding how better is it in terms of controlling the heat.

Last edited by throttleflick : 22nd February 2022 at 12:36. Reason: added more context.
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:24   #1115

Quote:
Anyone here got their windshields protected with a sun film? Saw the CR 70 by 3M to be a popular choice on the forum. The steering wheel top heats up while driving in the afternoon. I also noticed the Asahi glass on the windshield and boot and the Saint Gobain glasses on the windows don't get the "Dark Green" treatment that the Polos get. I saw one Youtube video from Hyderabad who got their windows and glasses done in the 3M CR 70 but, they haven't done a follow up video regarding how better is it in terms of controlling the heat.
I got the CR70 on windshield and RE70 on side and rear glasses installed on my Ecosport a few months ago. I strongly recommend against any windshield installation and actually am thinking of getting rid of the CR70 . Though it's a bit useful when the weather is humid and hot it's as good as not having it during the day time when the sun is bright, which is the case in India on most days.

I thought it would help during long drives but I found it useless as the car including the windshield constantly absorbs heat from all around continuously. The 3M guys even claimed the AC usage would go down but I did not notice any difference to before.

The biggest problem is driving at night on dimly lit roads and in rains. As the warm lamps on our roads are not bright and the portion of that insufficient light is absorbed by the film you have less visibility. A few days after I installed the film I used to stop the car to get down and check if my headlights were working or not during night drives.

The only solution for me is to either get rid of the film which I am loathe to do as I had spent ~10k on it or upgrade the headlights to HID/LED, which will void the warranty as per FORD ASS .

Last edited by karthikg87 : 22nd February 2022 at 13:46.
karthikg87 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:43   #1116
BHPian

Quote:

Expectations:
I'd want to get rid of the 80km warning chime. I would also love to increase the count of touch turn signals from 3 to 5. I wish there was a way to reprogram that blank button on the driver to do something. And I wish that button could be programmed to horn or bring back Severus Snape, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.

Attachment 2274771
Congrats on your new Taigun! Coming to the expectations regarding the speed chimes and increasing the indicator count that you have mentioned it's not really a con and can be disabled via coding using VCDS in just a few minutes without affecting your warranty. A couple of friends have got this done recently on their VAGs from https://instagram.com/drcodemyvw?utm_medium=copy_link . Might make your experience just that much sweeter.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 23:04   #1117
BHPian

I visited the Volkswagen downtown workshop for the “Swagat” service. Where I was told that they will remove the 80km/h and 120km/h chimes if we ask for it.

The service was terrible, as they promised 30mins but it took more than two hours to only check oil and coolant levels, and they flashed my firmware without informing me, and dirtied some parts of the car (outer body) as well. They also had some mechanics show us how to check oil and water levels-which was unnecessary, and nothing I or anyone didn’t know. He also couldn’t answer some basic questions about jack points, and headlight settings.

Overall dissatisfaction with VW service, but was expecting that given I have owned a skoda for more than 14 years now.
naikpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:43   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if any other dashcams don't reset the date and time?
Can you also attach pictures from the dashcam to understand the quality as well? How well does it perform during the night?
I use DDPAI Z40 Dual channel gps model in my car (Swift). It doesn't get reset for the date and time.

For day and night videos you can just check out the videos posted in my YouTube channel linked below: (the YouTube channel was created on suggestion, in order to check the video quality by BHPians).

My location is Gurgaon.

The dashcam didn't record once in sub-zero temperature recently in Himalayas.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 15:08   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteon206 View Post

Found an alternative for this issue - We can use the onboard apps like sygic for navigation and Gaana for music, and connect the phone through Bluetooth for calls and use the mobile hotspot to provide WiFi for the ICE, but this option drains battery on the mobile like crazy. So I'm planning to get a WiFi dongle for the car alone. Will update how that goes later.
A simpler option for WIFI is to get a JIOFI Dongle/Box and connect it to a power source in the backseat & keep it in the back-of-seat pocket. Just ensure that you remove the battery from the JIOFI Dongle (Keeping the battery inside and using for prolonged time swells up the battery - Have done that and repented)

You can keep the Dongle switched on - It has a automatic switch-off which will shut it down when not in use & the dongle switches on when the car is started.

Using this in my Ciaz - The transition to the WIFI is seamless as soon as you sit in the car - It's always a WOW point when you offer the WIFI password to friends/family !!!
ashishpotdar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 15:30   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpotdar View Post
A simpler option for WIFI is to get a JIOFI Dongle/Box and connect it to a power source in the backseat & keep it in the back-of-seat pocket. Just ensure that you remove the battery from the JIOFI Dongle (Keeping the battery inside and using for prolonged time swells up the battery - Have done that and repented)

You can keep the Dongle switched on - It has a automatic switch-off which will shut it down when not in use & the dongle switches on when the car is started.

Using this in my Ciaz - The transition to the WIFI is seamless as soon as you sit in the car - It's always a WOW point when you offer the WIFI password to friends/family !!!
Thank you. I'll try this. I noticed another issue, music gets paused for a fraction of a second at irregular intervals when using wireless Android auto. Moreover the mobile phone battery drains out quicker as well. So for now I'm using the mobile hotspot for the car's WiFi, so using sygic for navigation. Also I've disabled Android auto on my mobile and I'm using BT for calls and music. I've also noticed that the overall playback quality over BT is better than Android auto in Taigun.

I'll be getting sunfilms installed this weekend, the light green tint is not at all functional, will get a lighter tint than what I had on the nios though. Will update with pictures.

I have another peculiar issue from the day of delivery. There is a rattle heard from the rear doors (more on the right side), when moving over slopes at low speeds when the car tilts to either side. VW said it's something to do with the rear door beading, i was told that these will be replaced under warranty. I got an email from VW confirming this as well. These are yet to arrive.

Another update, I got the 1000km/Swagat inspection service done yesterday. I'm liking the overall experience at VW Mysore. They even provided a small car care kit comprising a bottle each of wiper washer liquid and car shampoo, a microfiber cloth, a melamine sponge.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220222_152222.jpg

Volkswagen Taigun Review-img_20220222_152242.jpg
Osteon206 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:45   #1121

hi,
i just booked the Taigun a few days back. I just noticed something on the facebook groups and am a bit concerned. Unsure if others have seen it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2823...=recently_seen

It seems that certain Taigun cars are being recalled and their wheel hubs and and bearings are being replaced. And this is in both Taigun & Kushaq. Does anyone know about this issue ? I'm a bit worried about this.

Noisy rubber is a smaller issue for me - but something like this makes me worry a lot.
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:37   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingaddict07 View Post
Finally took a test drive of the 1.5TSI DSG today. Took it to the highway. The car feels solid, and drives like a breeze. Even at high speeds as 120 kmph, lane changing is easy.

Minimum body roll, and just point the car, it will drive in that direction. Very light and responsive steering wheel! And it's got feedback!

I had no issues with the audio system, though coming from a Polo, missed the volume dial, and took time to get used to the touch/steering volume control.

No engine noise while idling and low rpm. Press the accelerator, and that much needed sporty sound is there!

I enquired and the horn can be changed to the legacy VW during service for a price(would definitely change it)

I drove my Vento right after the Taigun, and the Vento's steering felt bad after that

I pushed the car really hard, and it just wanted to go harder. Overall, the 1.5 DSG(and I am sure, the manual too!) is a very sporty SUVW.

Interiors feel sporty, and good. Fittings are nice.
Sealed the deal!
Did you change the horn? Can you share the invoice?
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:59   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a screen recordings from the videos (unable be attach the videos) showing the quality in the morning as well as at night during a thunderstorm (caught a lightening strike as well).
Thank you for the pics Osteon206. I was checking out some more dashcam recommendations in the dedicated sub forum and now I'm more confused I might postpone this by a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikg87 View Post
I got the CR70 on windshield and RE70 on side and rear glasses installed on my Ecosport a few months ago. I strongly recommend against any windshield installation and actually am thinking of getting rid of the CR70 . Though it's a bit useful when the weather is humid and hot it's as good as not having it during the day time when the sun is bright, which is the case in India on most days.

I thought it would help during long drives but I found it useless as the car including the windshield constantly absorbs heat from all around continuously. The 3M guys even claimed the AC usage would go down but I did not notice any difference to before.
Thanks for this insight karthik. I'm not happy with the way my car seat and steering heats up when parked in the morning sun as well. Might have to look at some alternatives. Over the long term, I feel not having a film will degrade the interiors, especially the AC vents and other plastic parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Congrats on your new Taigun! Coming to the expectations regarding the speed chimes and increasing the indicator count that you have mentioned it's not really a con and can be disabled via coding using VCDS in just a few minutes without affecting your warranty. A couple of friends have got this done recently on their VAGs from https://instagram.com/drcodemyvw?utm_medium=copy_link . Might make your experience just that much sweeter.
Thank you for the wishes ToyotaFan. Many VAG owner bhpians have recommended drcodemyvw. I'll check them out. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikpranav View Post
I visited the Volkswagen downtown workshop for the “Swagat” service. Where I was told that they will remove the 80km/h and 120km/h chimes if we ask for it.
Overall dissatisfaction with VW service, but was expecting that given I have owned a skoda for more than 14 years now.
Your service experience resonates mine in Vashi and I can literally live that day hour by hour after reading your post. They took a touch over 4 hours in my case. Also, after reading about the firmware update, I'm kinda concerned about this going unchecked on my vehicle as the SA wasn't really keen on briefing what all they'd be checking in the first place.

I'm planning to switch to the Thane service center from the 7.5k km service.

Quote:
I'll be getting sunfilms installed this weekend, the light green tint is not at all functional, will get a lighter tint than what I had on the nios though. Will update with pictures.

I have another peculiar issue from the day of delivery. There is a rattle heard from the rear doors (more on the right side), when moving over slopes at low speeds when the car tilts to either side. VW said it's something to do with the rear door beading, i was told that these will be replaced under warranty. I got an email from VW confirming this as well. These are yet to arrive.
Hi Osteon206, were you able to check Karthiks post that I've quoted above? What are your thoughts regarding the sunfilm? The dashcam I can postpone but the sunfilm is something I'm not able to live without. Let me know which sunfilm you're opting for and the price range if possible. Also, will you be getting it done for the entire glass area of the car or just the windshield and rear glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishpotdar View Post
Thanks for the tip Ashish! This is neat. Will give it a try

Thanks!
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 19:02   #1124
BHPian

I went with my gut feel and since i had loved the test drive of the AT changed the booking to AT from MT. Thanks for this @throttleflick. I have the VIN with me too. Vehicle should be at Delhi in about 2 more days. Can't wait for the lil black beast. Thought of changing the headlamps to LEDs of the Top Line from the dealership itself but was told by the manager that sockets and cabling are different and would require jugaad which would affect warranty.

I also recollect the audio alarm going off during the TD going at 80kmph. Can we set that ourselves as in the Polo/ other vehicles or will the dealership have to be requested for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram. View Post
Would recommend 100% going for the AT, if budget is not a constraint. Biggest reason would be the comfort that an AT gearbox provides.

Last edited by darthvader5000 : 23rd February 2022 at 19:03. Reason: Grammer
darthvader5000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:11   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Osteon206, were you able to check Karthiks post that I've quoted above? What are your thoughts regarding the sunfilm? The dashcam I can postpone but the sunfilm is something I'm not able to live without. Let me know which sunfilm you're opting for and the price range if possible. Also, will you be getting it done for the entire glass area of the car or just the windshield and rear glass?
Hi Throttleflick. I'll share the experience I had with the sunfilm on the nios. I had the sunfilm by Garware on the nios and i absolutely loved it. 30% tint film (this is almost transparent) for the front and rear windshield, 70% tint for the windows. This was quite effective, only sore point last time was the Garware branding which was visible making me prone to getting stopped in other states, also 70% was a tad too dark, got fined on one instance at Goa too. I told the my accesories shop guy to make sure that the branding area is not stuck onto the glass. Will opt for the 30% for the windshields and 50-60% for the windows, mostly 50%. Already I've planned a couple of road trips for this year, one from Mysore-Secunderabad next month and the other from Mysore to Delhi this year end, don't want to end up paying heavy fine across the country. I'm getting the sunfilms on Saturday, will share the pics. Sharing pics of the sunfilms on the nios.

Cost for the 4 windows Rs. 1800
Cost for the 2 windshields Rs. 1800

Another reason is for the increased privacy considering my wife and me get a fair bit of late night hospital calls and drive at night times a lot, sometimes alone too.

As far as night time visibility is concerned, i had no issues with the nios at all, most of my road trips were done with longer duration and distance at night time (predominantly ghat sections), and I've never had visibility issues, in fact I felt the glare was lesser. IMO the headlight brightness and throw is better in Taigun than the Nios, to the extent that Taigun is the only vehicle I've driven so far in which I haven't found the need to use the fog lamps for better visibility without a foggy situation. So i feel visibility might not be hampered.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-screenshot_20220106120750.jpg  

Attached Images

Osteon206 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks