Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 13:29   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra Bolero Neo Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Felt like they should have given a proper automatic transmission option with this car. It is something that still makes me wonder. After all it is not rocket science and Mahindra has done it with the likes of the Scorpio, Thar etc.

Also what is the deal with those third row seats ? I thought those were not permissible now, especially with the lack of a proper headrest. Overall the car looks decent with nice interiors. Hope this can bring in the numbers Mahindra hopes.
A proper AT would have been a great addition indeed. But, it may not matter much to the potential/target Bolero customers. I am just assuming. Addition of AT would have bumped up the price further which probably would have hurt the value proposition of the vehicle.

Mahindra for sure could have offered a 5-seater version knocking off the side-facing rear seats, incorporating a parcel tray instead.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

With the 2.2L diesel and four wheel drive option, maybe in the top two variants, alongwith the Bolero brand name, and with its sub 4-metre size, this vehicle could've created a segment of its own.
Maruti would then have had an able competitior to the about to be launched Jimny 4x4 five door.

Mahindra missed it here. But I guess it was a calculated miss as it would've cannibalised the sales of its other models. But as GTO says, "if you don't cannibalise, someone else will do it"
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 15:31   #18
BHPian

I for somehow like this product, and whether it got what it takes to don the Bolero badge, only time and ownership experiences would tell. Sure it won't win design contests in the looks department, but there's something about that boxy look that would make you detest and like it at the same time. It looks purpose built, kind of an indestructible and tough as nails vehicle ready to tackle rural country which is where it would spend much of it's time, I believe.

The 1.5L, 100 BHP, 3 cylinder mill won't scorch the roads or shred the tires for sure, but then again, it was not meant to do so. What it would do comfortably, would be pulling a full load of passengers and their luggage, while maintaining respectable speeds, which is more than what its customer base could ask for. Add in a better equipped and better built cabin when compared to the spartan Bolero, and it does look like a decent upgrade.

I believe this is the kind of vehicle that could take a substantial amount of abuse but will keep on running as if nothing happened; the kind of vehicle that will give you the confidence to go to places, which you normally won't, had you been on one of those C-SUVs. Peace.

PS : No offence to the other C-SUV owners, views are personal, feel free to disagree with me.
ss11011988 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 15:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Somehow the Bolero was a truly proportional and handsome vehicle. While the front may have been reworked to make the Neo resemble the Bolero, the side profile and esp how the tyres look still is the TUV300. Let's see how is the car with the new moniker accepted for all its virtues.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 16:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
WagonR and TUV300/Bolero Neo are the only cars in India that continue with this trend. Shouldn't these vehicles be a very handful around the twisties, with a high risk of toppling? Or is it not that apparent?
Looks can be deceiving sometimes.
I have driven my Wagon R from Chennai to Pune once. Pune-Bangalore mutiple times. As well as Goa. Never felt unsafe.

Of course on turns and in wind buffeting conditions, if you listen to the car, you can feel the point where she might start to topple. Once you figure out this limit, you know when to drop speed and stay out of trouble.

I drove the Wagon R for 8 years without any issues.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 16:50   #21
BHPian

Understandable why they didn't use the 2.2L diesel in a sub-4m car because of the tax slabs.
But wonder why they didn't use the 1.5L from XUV300 (4-cyclinder & 300Nm), at least in the top-end version. That could have made a better sense for this 1.5 ton SUV.

But anyways, I feel good that home grown automakers like Tata & Mahindra are going in the right direction. Just that they need to concentrate more on better QA.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 17:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
But wonder why they didn't use the 1.5L from XUV300 (4-cyclinder & 300Nm), at least in the top-end version. That could have made a better sense for this 1.5 ton SUV.
Because it's a horizontal mount engine where as the 1.5 3 cyl is a longitudinal mount engine.
Lot goes into engineering for orientation change and matching the gearbox and transmission components.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 17th July 2021 at 17:32.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 17:44   #23
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra wants to cash in on the name of Bolero and hence they have spruced up the front facia and have gone on a cost cutting spree.
Bolero sells because of rugged nature and resale value with primary customers being government and rural folks.
For a 10 lakh vehicle:
No FATC
No Electrically folding ORVMs, No Indicators on ORVMs
No Android Auto and Apple Car Play
No Rear Camera - What were you thinking Mahindra!!!
Centrally mounted power window controls in 2021
Removed Rear Cabin lamp and replaced it with a cheap one
Removed Roof Rails, Leatherette seats, Premium Boot Door internal cover, Manual Lumbar Support, Under seat storage.

Updated MID and cruise control are welcome additions.
Lowered body and MLD which interestingly Mahindra calls semi 4 x 4

Will not cut the mustard Mahindra as a CSUV!

But when looked as an upmarket alternative to Bolero and when one looks at the price as a private buyer it starts making sense.

Mahindra Bolero Neo Review-boleroneopricecomp.jpg

So, seems like Mahindra wants this to push as a deluxe version of Bolero at the same price of Bolero to private urban buyers.

Last edited by PraNeel : 17th July 2021 at 18:07.
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 18:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am thoroughly impressed by the capabilities of that BoF chassis with that locking diff.

It should have been offered as an option on other variants too.

Currently, only the N10 (O) variant has the MLD.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 20:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

It seems some cost cutting inside. While many of us have got wish-list on what Mahindra could have done here, I think if they provide too many features at such a price range, it might affect Scorpio numbers. I own a TUV3OO (84 BHP, purchased in December 2015) and I believe 100 BHP should be sufficient for most purposes. Only thing I would miss in my TUV3OO is the Cruise Control. Mahindra should have provided optional MLD for other variants too as wheel spin problem will be there for some owners based on where they are located, drive or park. Many of us got MLD installed in our TUV3OO by Mahindra free of cost under warranty, which also helped Mahindra in testing MLD. In one of the youtube reviews, I saw TUV sticker on rear differential of Bolero Neo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
I have serious doubts on the Bolero Neo's ability to score 4 stars in GNCAP when the Scorpio itself scored 0 stars
Mahindra claimed that their upcoming cars would receive minimum 4 star rating in GNCAP. Hope they would achieve that for Bolero Neo. I am part of two WhatsApp groups of TUV3OO owners and saw photos/videos of number of accidents where TUV3OO did well in saving lives under real life conditions.
airbus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

The TUV's Achilles heel in my view is the weird profile with the slanted parallelogram shaped A through C pillars which of course can't go on further and lacks cohesiveness in the opposite slanted D pillar (although not as weird as the 'plus')

The older Bolero had inherently a more proportionate albeit conventional design which is almost classic to have been be retained, but the Neo unfortunately inherits the quirkiness. The slapped on plastic running strip just screams lazy
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
I have serious doubts on the Bolero Neo's ability to score 4 stars in GNCAP when the Scorpio itself scored 0 stars. I really wish I am wrong though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Mahindra claimed that their upcoming cars would receive minimum 4 star rating in GNCAP. Hope they would achieve that for Bolero Neo. I am part of two WhatsApp groups of TUV3OO owners and saw photos/videos of number of accidents where TUV3OO did well in saving lives under real life conditions.
The Bolero Neo shares it's chassis with the new gen Scorpio and Thar, and we must remember that Thar with front facing 2nd row seats got a 4* Global NCAP rating. So, the new Bolero Neo should have a similar rating. Much like how Magnite and Triber have a 4* rating in their respective NCAPs, and the Kiger is expected to have similar rating, even when the Kwid could get only 1 star in it's third attempt on the old platform.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 22:10   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
The Bolero Neo shares it's chassis with the new gen Scorpio and Thar, and we must remember that Thar with front facing 2nd row seats got a 4* Global NCAP rating. So, the new Bolero Neo should have a similar rating. Much like how Magnite and Triber have a 4* rating in their respective NCAPs, and the Kiger is expected to have similar rating, even when the Kwid could get only 1 star in it's third attempt on the old platform.
1.) The Bolero Neo is not a new Mahindra per se. It is just a re-badged TUV 3OO. There are zero structural differences between the erstwhile TUV and the Bolero Neo. Hence Mahindra's promise of a minimum 4 stars on all upcoming models does not apply in this case. Mahindra would have been shouting from the roof tops had the TUV actually been capable of scoring 4 stars in GNCAP.

2.) Similarly, while the Magnite/Triber share their platform with the Kwid, they are completely different vehicles and were designed from the ground up to score in crash tests. Moreover, these are monocoque vehicles and it is relatively easier to make them safe when compared to BoF vehicles. Mahindra was expecting a 5 star rating for the Thar yet they could only manage 4 despite tremendous efforts (obviously costs and other factors play a role too).

3.) Mahindra ought to have improved the crash rating of their beloved Scorpio if they could. A 18 Lakh vehicle which crumples like tin in a collision (even the S Presso did not behave that badly in the crash tests) is an abomination. I understand that the upcoming Scorpio is utilising a different platform and is thus expected to score 4 stars at the least.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that, based on available information, it is highly unlikely that the Bolero Neo would score 4 stars in a crash test. I hope to be proven wrong though.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 22:22   #29
BHPian

Slightly OT but I was generally browsing through Olx and came across this ad for a TUV 300 where the owner has installed rear ac vents like the Ertiga. On a close look, I can actually see a cooling coil as well. Have a look.

How easy would this fitment be?

Source: https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-tuv...iid-1644442269
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Bolero Neo Review-1.jpg  

Mahindra Bolero Neo Review-2.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 23:01   #30
BHPian

It does look like Mahindra is trying to do a Tata here, in terms of trying to encash on a popular marque with a product very different from the original. Though being at the same price point as the actual Bolero, I am assuming that the Neo will draw some buyers away from the OG since it seems to provide the same rugged character. The addition of the diff-lock is a smart move as it makes it so much more capable than the other C-"SUVs" in our market.

On a secondary note, a 5 seat version with a nice straight boot would have appealed to a lot more to city buyers looking for a vacation vehicle and something which can be taken to the hills without worry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks